I know, I know. You just love to know more about me.
As your queen and magnanimous ruler of all, it’s only natural that you are clamouring in the streets for answers to life altering questions. And lucky for you, I have been tagged (thrice!) for The Sunshine Blogger Award which means I’m about to answer a bucketload of questions that you were dying to ask me. *
Or, you know, questions you aren’t dying to ask me because you really don’t want to ask me anything because you’re only here for the cake ** but HERE WE GO ANYWAY.
Also I assume it’s called the “Sunshine” award because it’s given to people who are as radiant as the sun and the world can’t exist with out them and also they like to set fire to the universe and explode things — aka me.
* I am going to cheat and just pick and choose between the questions I was tagged for because #lazy. (Hahaha, just kidding. I just am trying not to make my posts 7 years long LIKE THEY ALWAYS ARE THESE DAYS. Seriously, if you put up with reading my blog, bless you and wow.)
** Little traitor.
1. WHICH ARE YOU MORE PRONE TO FALL IN LOVE WITH: FANTASY OR REALITY?
I am constantly in love with Fantasy. We’re probably going to make it official soon, get a ring, set a wedding date — all of that stuff. Like I’ve occasionally looked at Reality and gone “What would it be like to be with you?” but that fleeting feeling is always followed with “PROBABLY THE SAME AS GOUGING MY EYES OUT WITH A WOODEN SPORK WHILE FALLING INTO A SCREAMING VOID” so I decide to do the safe and smart thing and stick with my darling, Fantasy.
It’s been 22 years now and we know we are the only ones for each other.
There shall be no love triangles for me.
I’m sorry, Reality. It just never would’ve worked out between us.
2. WHAT IS YOUR ELEMENT? (Fire, water, wind, earth, electricity, etc.)
This is an excellent question because I haven’t the foggiest.
SO I ASKED BUZZFEED (obviously the first thing to do when you have no idea of something about your own self) and it said I was Fire which means I’m disagreeable, fiercely loyal, and probably use my birthday candles to set other people alight and I have been known to set a character or two or all of them on fire while writing.
3. NAME A BOOK THAT MADE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WERE WALKING ON SUNSHINE (WOOOOOOOAAAAAH!)
I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE.
I also raise you these books as absolutely fluffy happy feel-good-fests that will probably make you grin like a deluded sheep and snuffly say “Awwww” at least 3 times. Maybe even 4 if you’re being wild.
4. IF YOU COULD MAKE ONE OF YOUR OWN FICTIONAL CHARACTERS REAL, WHO WOULD IT BE?
Unfortunately most of my characters fit the following criteria:
- slightly unhinged
- entirely unhinged
- no hinges at all and this is a worry
- low impulse control
- anger disorders
- insane and magical
- always hungry
- all of these put together into one little cupcake of terror
I think we can agree…no. No let’s not let my characters become real. Ever.
5. LEAST FAVOURITE BOOK YOU’VE READ?
I have 51 books on my 1-star Goodreads shelf so least to say….I HAVE A LOT OF BOOKS I WOULD BE OKAY TO USE AS DOORSTOPS. But I shall particularly pick out Paper Princess for its gross romanticism of sexual harassment and abuse. I perhaps ranted on Goodreads. I perhaps got 260 likes which is LIKE ONE OF MY MOST FAVOURITED REVIEWS EVER.
They don’t call me Paper Fury for nothing, children.
6. WHO (disregarding the classic authors) IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR?
It is very easy to disregard classic authors for me because…I DON’T LIKE ‘EM. At all. I’m like that heinous little uneducated marshmallow that sits pouting in the corner when threatened with a classic book and will spontaneously bust into flames if required to read one. (Why did I even doubt my element was fire, hmm?)
Because marshmallows burst into flames, yes???? YES??? Aren’t my metaphor skills just AMAZING??!? *
Anyway. Incredible metaphors aside, my favourite authors are MAGGIE STIEFVATER (obviously), VE Schwab, Holly Black, John Green, Leigh Bardugo, Scott Lynch, Patrick Ness, Jay Kristoff, Cassandra Clare, Pierce Brown, Sally Green, Suzanne Collins, and Rick Riordan.
And more, because I have a LOT of
best friends who don’t know I exist favourite authors.
* Okay wait, I must clarify: do the Americans set their marshmallows on fire before eating them? Because that’s what we do in Australia. If your marshmallow isn’t 90% charcoal than it’s not cooked, Frank, and go back and burn the living heck out of that thing before you consume it.
7. FAVOURITE BOOK OF THIS YEAR?
I’m just going to leave you with this SUPER CUTE COLLECTION (if you click they’ll link to my reviews) because choosing between my sons is not going to happen.
Although I am going to ask WHAT ON EARTH The Female of the Species did to earn such a horrendous cover. Did it insult the cover creators of the universe???? Will justice be served for the fact that this is heinous??? I don’t like yellow books generally but this is a putrid shade particularly.
And look THERE’S ONE CONTEMPORARY AMONGST THESE. I’m so proud of me.
8. DO YOU BUY OR BORROW BOOKS MORE OFTEN?
Oh this is definitely borrow. I buy 3 or 4 books per month (wooo for being paid to freelance blog with book vouchers!) and borrow about 3490 books from the library per month. ONE OF THESE IS SLIGHTLY EXAGGERATED, I’LL LET YOU FIGURE OUT WHICH.
The trouble with library books is you have to give them back.
9. WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVOURITE THINGS ABOUT BOOK BLOGGING?
- The part where lots of people follow me, I crown myself queen, and vivaciously and malevolently rule the entire world with my iron fist and adorable temperment.
- Finding FUNNY and CLEVER and TALENTED people to hang out with. Like seriously, you peoples??? What did I do to deserve you being so awesome????
- Any time someone supports my blog or my Society6 store or my #bookstagram…just woah. None of you have to do that. Yet you keep saying “HEY CAIT THAT’S PRETTY” or “HEY CAIT YOU MADE ME SMILE AND THAT WAS GREAT” or “HEY CAIT CAN I BUY YOU 48 BOOKS * RIGHT NOW” and you know what? You’re the best. I actually cannot even get over how nice you are and how much I flail continually because of it.
- Emojis. They’re pretty expressive. Am I mad? Am I happy? Am I laughing? Am I thinking about cake? Or murder? You’ll never know because I always use that smiley-laughing-face one for every situation.
- Finding excellent new books to read! You recommend good stuff, peoples. Keep it up. **
- Having an excuse to take photos
of my obsessionof books. It’s totally socially acceptable to have 46 photos of books on your camera roll instead of, like, selfies or pictures of you and your friends.***
- Being able to flail over books! Sometimes book blogging can get stressful and negative, especially if you’re battling trolls. But you know what?! I started this blog to FLAIL OVER BOOKS and that’s just really my favourite thing.
* Okay wait, that has one has not ever happened. But I’m putting it out there to the universe. #PositiveThinking
** No really. Keep it up OR ELSE.
*** Sherlock and I don’t need these IRL. Online is fine.
10. WHY DO YOU THINK READING DIVERSELY IS IMPORTANT? RECOMMEND SOME FAVOURITE DIVERSE BOOKS!
Reading diversely is important because THE WORLD IS FULL OF DIVERSITY. And that’s just downright beautiful, okay?! Everyone is different in so so many ways and that’s part of your identity which is, again, awesome. Reading promotes empathy and acceptance and those are two super important things for everyone to just embrace. I mean it, embrace it, pet it, eat it…whatever you want to do to show your love. Eat all the diverse things. I’m sure this can’t go wrong.
Here are some favourite diverse books and I highly recommend you devour all of them immediately. I DON’T KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE “EATING” METAPHOR BUT IT’S STILL STRONG. Be concerned if you want. I am.
And if you’re looking for more diverse books (bless you, wonderful soul) you can go
stalk peruse my Goodreads shelves where I have categories for Deafness, Autism, Mental Illness, and Disabilities. I plan to make more shelves in the future so keep thine eyes peeled.
Peeled within reason. Don’t let your eyeballs fall out. I wrote a few hundred thousand words this year and my eyeballs fell out after staring at my laptop for so long. 10/10 do recommend keeping eyeballs firmly affixed so you don’t freak out your cat or parent.
Now I leave you with this BOOK TREE and a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I’ll still be blogging between now and the New Year, don’t fret, but just not over the Christmas weekend because I’m sure you’ll be busy being in a food coma if you celebrate Christmas.
But before you go! GUESS WHAT?!?! I’m in the semi-finals for Epic Reads #BookShimmyAwards for best booknerd of the year!! This is the part where you vote for me (please) and tell me I’m awesome (because yes) and I get crowned queen of the internet (yas). I believe you can vote multiple times too. SO YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO, MY PINEAPPLE FINEDS.
Now happy holidays and THANK YOU (!!!) for being so supportive of my blog and me and my cake. I like your face.
time for me to interrogate YOU, my fiends. do you read more fantasy or reality books?? and tell me what the best DIVERSE books you’ve read this year are?? also have you ever ranted really REALLY furiously over a book?!? DO YOU CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS? i must know all the things.
ATTENTION TO THEE: If you’ve commented on Paper Fury and not received a comment back from me in a while…check your spam, pleaseeeeee?! For some reason it’s sending me to spam on ALL the WordPress blogs and I’m crying. And if anyone knows how to fix this PLEASE TELL ME. It didn’t use to send me to spam all the time!!