Just in case you were on the verge of getting your TBR under control — I am here to GLORIOUSLY ruin your day.
As is my aesthetic. When I called myself “Paper Fury” you probably thought it meant I would be the furious one. And while this is 78% true because you should see me when someone suggests lettuce is real or sitting on shiny books in the centre of a dark mountain is not a viable career option, then I will bRING THE FURY. However, another reason for my aptly titled self is because I will make you and your TBR suffer furiously.
With lists of more 2017 YA releases you will absolutely need.
Earlier this year I did a list of YA books I was looking forward to from January to May. So now it’s time for the June – October * edition! And if you’re weeping, don’t even worry about it. ME TOO. Because guess who’s read all the books on the previous list?!??
Don’t be absurd. I have done nothing. NOTHING. I’ve read 107 books this year and still feel like I’VE READ NOTHING.
* I’m not doing November/December because lots of covers haven’t been released yet so I’ll hit you with all my keenly anticipated ones later. Literally hit you. I suggest you prepare yourselves whilst I throw books like a happy fiend.
So as is usual, I’m CHEATING AGAIN while linking up with Top Ten Tuesday for the prompt “Top Ten Most Anticipated Books For The Second Half of 2017” because (a) I’m listing way waaaaaaaaaaay more than 10, and (b) this is actually next week’s prompt! I’m getting in early because I will be traversing the darkness next week (aka moving house) and will have limited internet.
And also this week’s prompt is about summer books. IT IS NOT SUMMER.
It is currently 17 degrees celsius (62 fahrenheit) and I was born for dragon fires and sunshine. #suffering (And if you cold-climate people start laughing at me I’m going to come and smother you with my Batman socks. FYI.)
- SONG OF THE CURRENT: Did you say piiiiiiirates? BLESS YOU.
- THE HUNDREDTH QUEEN: I married the cover honestly. And it’s South-Asian fantasy! #yas
- HERE LIES DANIEL TATE: Teenage identity thieves seem wonderful but I hope the poor boy doesn’t have that many eyes truly.
- OUR DARK DUET: ONLY MY MOST ANTICIPATED OF EVER ADFKLADSJK WHERE ARE MY DARK VIOLINIST BABY MONSTERS.
- SAINTS AND MISFITS: The title alone is excellent, and it’s about a Muslim hijab-wearing teen who’s a photographer!
- NOW I RISE (#2): If anyone hurts precious Radu I SHALL CUT.
- FLIGHT OF A STARLING: this is about sisters!! Who also are trapeze artists!! And I’m keen to try it becuase I’m about as graceful as a dead fish in a microwave.
- MAYBE IN PARIS: So…this is an interesting one…because I do want to read it because it’s about a girl and her Autistic brother on a holiday, but it sounds like the brother’s ASD is going to be portrayed negatively and as attention seeking so like, excuse me while I’m a bit nervous? However blurbs can suck. So I still want to see because I read as many ASD books as I can.
- GORK, THE TEENAGE DRAGON: This is either going to be brilliant or HORRIBLE…but either way it’s about a dragon who faints and is ranked as “snackalicious” because he’s so pathetic and I’m here for this so so bad.
- THE LIBRARY OF FATES: More South-Asian inspired fantasy!! And it says library so I don’t even care what else it’s about.
- THE BUILD-UP SEASON: Because #LoveOzYA and also that cover is frightfully gorgeous. #YesCaitIsShallowWhatElseIsNew
- WORDS ON BATHROOM WALLS: This is about schizophrenia and a boy named Adam and I like boys named Adam * so hello I am most ridiculously keen.
* RAVEN BOY REFERENCE EXCUSE ME.
- THE COLOR PROJECT: I’ve only heard good things about this book AND HEY I KNOW THE AUTHOR so I’m famous by association. Apparently it’s a feels-smashing contemporary. Excellent.
- THE GALLERY OF UNFINISHED GIRLS: Latina characters and artists! And that cover is just so sinister so yes please.
- DAUGHTER OF THE BURNING CITY: And I know this author too!! We co-blogged with a group of other writers for a while! #StillFamousByAssociation Plus this is about circuses and illusions and murder.
- THE LAST MAGICIAN: Omggg be still my beating heart for MODERN MAGICIANS and THIEVES. <3 It has an A Darker Shade of Magic vibe to it so here’s to hoping!???
- WHEN I AM THROUGH WITH YOU: I love this author so much. Her books are so FREAKTASTIC and mind twisty and generally involve murder. So obviously #authorgoals.
- LITTLE AND LION: It does have a love triangle but it’s also about bipolar and I’m also one of those shallow people who want a book for the title. Mate. I have problems.
- THE ARSONIST: This has a girl who burns things down and a boy with epilepsy!
- THE ART OF FEELING: This has a boy with the condition where he can’t feel pain, so that will be extremely interesting to read about!
- THE HEARTS WE SOLD: And when the blurb says she sold her heart to the devil? I mean, hi. I’m here. Also the Winchesters could probably sought this out in like 20mins. Just saying.
- THE EPIC CRUSH OF GENIE LO: Monsters from Chinese folklore and #ownvoices author!
- SHIMMER AND BURN: So at first I thought this book was Simmer And Burn and I thought we were cooking something. Also yet no. However it IS about magic smuggling! So food aside, I still want it.
- WICKED LIKE WILDFIRE: It says “for fans of Holly Black and Leigh Bardugo” NEED I ASK FOR MORE???????
- TIGER’S WATCH: Chinese inspired fantasy + they have animals that are bonded to them and eat people’s faces if their master’s don’t like them? Well: I want one.
- WONDER WOMAN: It’s Leigh Barudgo WHO IS QUEEN BASICALLY.
- MASK OF SHADOWS: Genderfluid pickpock does sound too good to be true…and I’m nervously watching the Goodreads come in at 2-stars and DNF’s but EH. I STILL WANT TO READ IT because I am a beggar for punishment.
- A SEMI-DEFINITIVE LIST OF WORST NIGHTMARES: Sounds like the title of my future memoir. Also the cover, right?!?? ALSO: it’s about lists of fears and curses and I like lists. (For proof, see: this entire post.)
- THEY BOTH DIE AT THE END: All I can say is tHEY BETTER FREAKING NOT, MR. SILVERA. Also they probably will. And I love love looooved History Is All You Left Me so I guess I’m just going to have my feels stomped on.
- THE THING WITH FEATHERS: Another one about epilepsy and the girl is a homeschooler!
- BEFORE SHE IGNITES: The blurb says “she’s far too interested in dragons”. Boom. I will take 8 of them.
- GODSGRAVE (#2): I mean, I’m still bROKEN after Nevernight, but what the heck.
- A JIGSAW OF FIRE AND STARS: I COULD EAT THAT COVER IT’S SO BEAUTIFUL. Also yay for African fantasy!
- DEVILS WITHIN: This appears to be about a smol teenage boy rescued from a cult (??) but who is also a murderer. It was written for me obviously.
OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE MONTH CAIT WENT BROKE(R).
- AMONG THE RED STARS: RUSSIA THO MATE.
- THE TIGER’S DAUGHTER: Badass female warriors + spoiled empresses + dead gods? It’s practically gift wrapped with awesome.
- WILD BEAUTY: Magical women and strange boys appearing in the garden? YESSSSSS. Also this author absolutely slays with her beautiful writing.
- MAGNUS CHASE AND THE SHIP OF THE DEAD (#3): I am always ready for more Riordan. Even if Magnus Chase is Percy #0.2.
- THE MEMORY TREES: It said “dark magical realism” and I arrived.
- THIS DARKNESS MINE: I love Mindy McGinnis and will be prepared to fight on her behalf for whoever gave her this atrocious cover. It’s worse than The Female of the Species and that’s saying something. ANYWAY. It’s about a musician who’s going insane. #nice
- THE WICKER KING: Two friends spiral into madness? Sounds relatable. That’s me on Mondays. ALSO THAT TITLE. THAT COVER.
- DEAR MARTIN: A #blacklivesmatter book! It’s about a boy headed for Ivy League but racism puts him in handcuffs.
- A SKINFUL OF SHADOWS: *aggressively lusts after the cover*
- THAT INEVITABLE VICTORIAN THING: I don’t really like this author’s previous book but the blurb also is like “WHAT IF THERE WAS NO AMERICA” which is an excellent question and also where the USA is heading with their politics anyway.
- THE LAST NAMSARA: You know that moment when you read a blurb and your braing goes “WHAT THE HECKIN’ FLAPPING PANCAKE DID I JUST READ???” Yeah. Me. But nevertheless, I know it’s about dragons…and other stuff. (???) I’m here for dragons.
- ALL THE CROOKED SAINTS: HOOOOOLD ME THIS IS MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR. OF. EVER. AND I’M SO RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED I MIGHT SCREAM. My opinion on the cover is: nay. But I’ll get used to it because I am Stiefvater trash.
ARE YOU OKAY? DID YOUR NEWLY GROWN TBR FALL ON YOU?