Is everyone caught up on their 2016 reading piles?? Yes? Everyone? OH GOOD.
Because of course you are. And of course you’re not already drowning in books you haven’t had a chance to read yet. And of course it’s time for me to trot out a list of 2017 YA books I’m absolutely rabidly looking forward to. I’d basically sell a kidney to get my clammy paws on these 2017 books. Or well, I’d sell my sister’s kidney. I mean, (A) what are sisters for anyway, and (B) as Actual Queen Of All I should probably keep my own kidneys.
And if you’re sitting there weeping going, “But but buuuuuut Cait, I’m still trying to read books FROM 2009” then, well tooo bad mate, but your TBR problems are about to get INFINITELY WORSE in this post. And I’d be sorry but my #2 blogging career goal * is to make you suffer. **
I’m lining up with Top Ten Tuesday for their prompt “Top Ten Books I’m Looking Forward To For The First Half Of 2017“ but did someone say just ten???? What confusing instruction is that???? OBVIOUSLY I’M GOING TO DO A HECK OF A LOT MORE THAN TEN. And I shall rebel most gloriously and not be sorry because, like I keep annoyingly mentioning, I Am The Queen. ***
* Obviously my #1 blogging career goal is to get to a point where people send me free chocolates and pledges of allegiance, but that’s not happening yet and I’m confused???
** If you’re curious about my #3 blogging career goal, it’s obviously to raise my blog to be an independent, strong, able young website so it can write posts itself while I climb my bookshelf, make a nest on top, and nap.
*** Also, random observation, but are my post titles GETTING STRANGER?? Or should I not worry about it? I mean, I’m not holding a bundle of tangled Christmas lights and asking them to speak to me, ergo I am not starring in Stranger Things yet, ergo I should really not be too worried about my mental state, right? Right. Let’s move forward.
This is my birthday month so basically ALL THESE BOOKS have specifically been published in honour of me. The world is so pleasant.
- CARVE THE MARK: I’m enormously keen to see what Veronica Roth does with a new series. Heyyy, I liked Allegiant. Leave me be.
- HEART STONE: Apparently this is a Pride and Prejudice retelling…WITH DRAGONS. And like, dude, I have 0% caring towards Jane Austen but dragons? Dragons are my life and you are very mistaken if you think I wouldn’t read a book just because there’s dragons on the cover.
- GILDED CAGE: This is a magical universe where magical people rule the
mugglesnon-magical people and considering that’s my own personal Taking Over The World Plan I SHOULD READ THIS FOR RESEARCH.
- TRAITOR TO THE THRONE (Rebel of the Sands #2): I’m sooooo glad the AUS/UK publishers didn’t do a stupid cover change. That’s on you, silly US publishers. Hahahah. #AustraliaIsBetter
- CARAVAL: I actually have no clue what it’s about. But everyone else is excited??? SO HERE I AM. EXCITED CLUELESSLY. #ActualSummaryOfMyLife
- THE CRYSTAL RIBBON: This is a Chinese magical fantasy….and it is Middle Grade. So technically I’m breaking my own list’s rules. BUT IT’S BEAUTIFUL. I need it.
- ROSEBLOOD: A Phantom of the Opera retelling by one of my all time favourite authors — yes please and thank you. I actually have an ARC (!!!) and I’m devouring this soooooon.
- A LIST OF CAGES: This is about a boy with ADHD finding his long-lost foster brother and…duuuude, BROTHER STORIES ARE MY FAVOURITE. #need
- A CONJURING OF LIGHT (A Darker Shade of Magic #3): EVERYONE PAUSE EVERYTHING AND BEHOLD MY #1 ANTICIPATED RELEASE FOR THIS YEAR EXCUSE ME WHILE I FLAIL AND DIE.
- STARFALL (Starflight #2): I actually surprised myself with how much I loved the first book?! IT WAS SO HILARIOUS. Like an honest-to-goodness YA book version of Guardians of the Galaxy. So I need the sequel immediately.
- THE DRAGON’S PRICE: What’s this about? I don’t know. Who has time to read blurbs. Not me. I’m busy arranging cupcakes. ANYWAY. It says dragons, so here I am.
- DAUGHTER OF THE PIRATE KING: Piiiiiiiiirates. I am 100000% here for the pirates.
- THE HATE U GIVE: I feel like this is going to be one of the most wildly hyped books of ever?!? It’s about #BlackLivesMatter and I’ve heard it’s marvellous.
- SAD PERFECT: Okay I’m lowkey worried about this one because it features a girl with Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID) and she stops taking medication when she finds The Boy. BUT! I think the story is speaking against that??! So let’s hope, right?! Either way I want to learn more about this disorder.
- LONG MAY SHE REIGN: This has like a smart science girl who accidentally becomes queen?!??! Bless this book already.
- GOODBYE DAYS: It’s Jeff Zentner…aka the author who DESTROYED ME WITH THE SERPENT KING. I have sworn to read all of his books of ever and suffer. But it’s also about panic and anxiety disorders?!? So: yes.
- THE INEXPLICABLE LOGIC OF MY LIFE: Again I’m adding this purely because of the author. Ari And Dante is like the best book of ever. So. Here I am. Just being a little bookworm stalker.
- THE HIDDEN MEMORY OF OBJECTS: This has a girl who’s solving her brother’s death by getting MEMORIES out of OBJECTS. I mean, you had no idea right??? The title gives nothing away!! Also it’s super pretty. #ShallowBookwormProblems
- THINGS I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN: And this actually features an Autistic girl and do you know rare that is to find in books?!? I’M SO NOTORIOUSLY PLEASED.
GIVEN TO THE SEA: This has magic, what seems like a diverse cast of characters, probably it’s got the ocean in it (wild guess) BUT WHO CARES. IT’S BY MINDY FREAKING FANTASTIC MCGINNIS and that’s why I’m here. For reference see flailing review of: The Female of the Species.
- BLACKSOULS (Blackhearts #2): PIRATES (!!!) PIRATES (!!) PIRATES (!!!!!!) PIIIIIIRATES (!!!!!)
- DEFINITIONS OF INDEFINABLE THINGS: So this doesn’t seem like my kind of contemporary fluff but then the blurb went and said the love interest was an “indie film-making narcissist named Snake” and: well I change my mind. I need this.
I FORESEE THIS IS THE MONTH WHERE I WILL BE BROKE AND POSSIBLY DEAD UNDER MY TBR BUT WHATEVER.
- FLAME IN THE MIST: This is a Mulan retelling. A MULAN RETELLING. With Samurais! I don’t even know how that works but I want it!!
- LORD OF SHADOWS (The Dark Artifices #2): Basically I am a Shadowhunter addict and will read everything and anything. And I have NO CHILL with this cover. It is so gorgeous omg.
- AVENGED (Ruined #2): My little psychopathic princess and cheese-loving prince are probably going to kill each other but I still #shipit.
- THE CROWN’S FATE (The Crown’s Game #2): Okay apparently it’s SEQUEL MONTH and that’s awesome. Lots of things for me to freak out over. But this is a Russian inspired fantasy and the cover looks like they’re having a Christmas light show, so that should be fun.
- ELIZA AND HER MONSTERS: It’s by the same author as Made You Up (which I looooved) and it’s about internet friends and a fanfic author and afjskdald BASICALLY IT NEEDS ME.
- WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI: This is an Indian-American romance story that promises to be very cute and the occasional bit of fluff amongst all these murdering royalty books I’ve got here seems LIKE A GOOD IDEA.
- COLD SUMMER: This is abut a time travelling boy who fights part time in wars and is expected to be a normal teen the rest of the time. CUE PTSD AND ANXIETY. This sounds…incredible?!
- THE PEARL THIEF: Remember how Code Name Verity ripped out our hearts and stomped on them? LOOK. Here’s a prequel! Do we trust it?! NO WAY! Are we excited?! ABSOLUTELY!
- SPELLSLINGER: A boy mage who looks like he throws spells around and hopefully will be my next evil wizard child.
- NOTEWORTHY: A MUSIC BOOK!! Plus it’s about a girl who’s an alto that always gets overlooked, so she dresses up as a boy to audition for their musical: and gets in. THIS IS GOING TO BE ACA-BRILLIANT LIKE A MULAN-MUSICAL RIGHT?!? AND ALSO PROBABLY….
- HERE LIES DANIEL TATE: I’m so so freaking excited about this book because it’s about CON ARTISTS and ABDUCTED BOYS and COMPLICATED SCAMS.
- RELEASE: No clue what it’s about but PATRICK NESS!!! MY FAVOURITE!! And pfft, don’t give me that eyeroll about how I’m allergic to reading blurbs, young fiend. Don’t make me set my dragons on you.
THINGS WE’VE LEARNED FROM THIS POST:
- Cait has an unreasonable and unfounded fear of reading blurbs.
- Cait stalks the authors she loves most
- Nothing to be worried about there, obviously. ^^
- Cait has exploded your TBR and doesn’t feel guilty about it, in fact she feels evilly pleased.
- Cait’s own TBR has monstrously exploded and she probably should’ve seen this coming.
- Is Cait addicted to fantasy???? Who can say???? It’s not clear.
- Cait has decreed 2017 be the year of PIRATES (!!) and DRAGONS (!!!) and look at the world acquiescing to her favourite things.
- Cait would never add a book to her TBR purely because of the cover. This post attests to that. OF COURSE CAIT IS NOT THAT SHALLOW.
- Cait is laughing nervously.
- Cait is stopping now.