I love books. (I bet you didn’t know that.) Why do I love books? 85% of that answer lies with the characters (the other 15% is about the quantities of chocolate mentioned, but we won’t get into that now).
Naturally, as I read, I end up finding a character (or five) who I identify with. For very odd and illogical reasons.
Which I will tell you about, using illustrations from the books I have read this year.
Mime and I do everything together (which I love, by the way). So much so, that when we are talking about something we refer to ourselves as “we”. “Can we eat chocolate?” Mime will say. I did not mention the fact that I too think it’s a good idea. But since we so many mutual thoughts, it’s natural to assume it’s true. “We are planning this,” I’ll say, and Mime will know nothing about it. We also do nothing alone.
Besides asking all the wrong questions myself, I have a great affinity for eating dinner before I solve a massive mystery. While Lemony’s dodgy chaperone was ready to rob/replace/return (still not sure which) the Bombinating Beast, she was not concerned about whether Lemony would rather eat first or later. He was 13. Of course the answer was “first”. I agree wholeheartedly with this concept.
Also, Lemony says this: “I’m Lemony Snicket,” I said, and handed her an envelope I had in my pocket. Inside was something we called a letter of introduction, just a few paragraphs describing me as somebody who was an excellent reader, a good cook, a mediocre musician and an awful quarreler.”
Except I’m not a very good cook and I never “quarrel”. (Pft. Really.)
(Hold the tomatoes and hear me out!)
No, I have not found myself “irrevocably” (what kind of a word is that anyway?) in love with a hungry vampire. But I did find myself, during the course of the mammoth novel, wanting to pat Bella on the shoulder and say, “There, there, I understand how hard is must be to live in Forks.” RAIN, people. RAIN. You may not understand the pure anguish Bella encounters while living in a place where it rains and rains and rains. I do. But it hasn’t driven me to vampire-extremes, thank goodness. I think, if I could get Bella aside for a few minutes, we could have a good talk on other ways to outlet rain-induced-cabin-fever.
Like blogging. Bella, you should blog.
The kid has ADHD, dyslexia and an impeccable wit (we can see where this is going, right?). Obviously, I’m not diagnosed in any of these areas (I felt the need for the “obviously”), but I hate sitting still for long periods of time, my sentences usually come out backwards, and I have an amazingly witty mind.
I’m just waiting for my super-powers to kick in, okay?
She’s not the main character in CINDER (er, obviously), and, well, she’s not even human, but I have always felt a deep kinship with Iko. She has a great teasing sense of humour, and often bursts out saying random (and usually embarrassing to the other person) things. When I tease Mime (which is only about 95% of the time), I feel like Iko.
I am also very subtle. Like Iko.
“I do not have a programming error!”
How about you, blogglings? Tell me about a character you identify with!! (Or list five or twenty seven, if you like.)
Have you voted yet? We neeeed your votes!
And tomorrow?! Guess what!? We have a TAG for you to do on your own blog…talk about deliciously bookish. Plus, all tagee-doers (that’s totally a word) will have extra points to add into rafflecopter giveaway at the end of the month!
And what’s a party without loads of presents? We have another giveaway happening this week! You could score a copy of Amanda Bradburn’s THE KEEPERS OF ELENATH!