In a staggering turn of events, this month was very dedicated to books.
I wrote one (103K in 4 days…I know I know…it’s a boring feat now) and I ate many others for breakfast and I tweeted about them copiously and OH LOOK AT WHO JUST REACHED 8,000 FOLLOWERS ON TWITTER. THIS IS A NICE LIFE.
I’m also lowkey concerned that it’s May already. Herrmrmmr. Maybe perhaps I’m not ready for that. Particularly now that it’s getting cold and I’ll have to don my Batman socks and snuggle with my dragons at night for warmth. #LifesTrials
Anyhow! Onwards to bookish news from the interwebs, book hauls, and my shouting about my life at the end. WITH SNIPPETS.
(Also apologies for how LONG these recap posts always…but they only come once a month??? So forgive me??? If you read/like these posts, just know I’d give you 9 cakes if I could. I APPRECIATE YOU SO MUCH.)
(Thanks to Allen & Unwin, Text Publishing, and Random Penguin!)
- OUT OF HEART: this is about donating hearts and it sounds like it’ll be HEART WRENCHING (excuse me and yes im ashamed)
- STILL LIFE AS A TORNADO: I actually thought I’d read this but nooooo I read We Are Still Tornadoes and I think book titles are personally out to attack me. ANYWAY. I really hope I like this one!
- THE DARK PROPHECY (TRIALS OF APOLLO #2): Currently reading it and it’s FAB. Obviously.
- HOW TO BEE: I assume this is about bees. Feel a little awkward that the font I’m using for all my post headings is the same as the book title’s…weeeell there.
- AVENGED (RUINED #2): Ahhh! I loved book one and so excited for this sequel!
- BALLAD FOR A MAD GIRL: No clue what it’s about. Probably singing.
- GIRL IN BETWEEN: This looks kind of like an adult women’s lit book??? But we’ll see. *INSERT NERVOUSNESS HERE*
- REMIND ME HOW THIS ENDS: So so excited for this because it’s an Aussie author and she’s fabulously lovely on twitter!! Also a character is named Milo and that was my protagonist’s name in my first ever book. #MEMORIES
- SHINY BROKEN PIECES: Sequel to the stabby first ballet book. SO EXCITED. Be proud of me, Emily.
- THE KISS OF DECEPTION: Honestly?? I’m reading it because I see it around a LOT. But love triangles…#HelpMe
- I AM PRINCESS X: Nerdy, comic-book-writing girls? #yas
(all covers link to goodreads)
I’m at 26.8K so that’s exciting!!
I’m trying something a little different this year…with some book covers you can hover over to get my mini-opinion!
(You can still click on the covers to read my full reviews, or hover over it. Because it’s fun.)
I read 25 books! Although lowkey disappointed only two were 5-stars. #SubparReadingMonth
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “how to be a con artist book” — I suggest turning yourself into a book and then stealing yourself. 10/10 for ingenious life career options.
- “maybe if you want to die bookworm” — just stand right under your TBR. THAT SHOULD DO IT.
- “why do i feel that everything i write is terrible” — this is possibly because you need to WRITE MORE. I know we all secretly want to murder whoever says “practise makes perfect” with a rusty spork. But honestly? You get better the more you write. Avoid sporks. Keep going.
- “can you alienate yourself by being a bookworm” — only if you are an alien. And in which case, good on you, bookworm alien. How is Jupiter this evening?
- “benefits of having a book blog” — You get to lovingly and aggressively shout at people to read books and then rule over them supremely because they can’t escape. Oh wait…just me? SURELY NOT JUST ME.
- “quotes about taking a book with you everywhere” — Oh oh I know one!
- “stigma of people who aren’t bookworms” — I suppose there’s a stigma that non-bookworms use all that spare time to frolic about the world committing crime, stealing socks, eating babies, robbing graves. Do they?? Don’t they??? We can never know the mind of the non-bookworm.
- “fantasy book withouth romance” — EXCUSE YOU WHAT ELSE WOULD IT BE ABOUT???? Like actual war and world building and character development? Don’t be ridiculous, child.
- “cait @paper fury” — Mwhahaha people are looking me up specifically. The mind control reach grows strong and far.
- “cait fury” — That’s it. I’m changing my name to be this. I shall rename my dog Nick. Together, we will start the Avengers.
- “i can’t remember what i wrote” — Mate, I can’t even rememeber how old I am. As they say “FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT”. When people ask you about it, just smile and blink at them and then throw glitter in their face and scream and run away. 500% success rate. I do it all the time.
- “i need story that is not romance” — So do we all.
- “writers types buffalo” — You got me. That’s what I am. A writer buffalo.
- “can books be bad for you” — Only if they are hardcovers and you drop one and break your foot and also wipe out a small continent in the process.
- “thranduil discussion” — HE’S FABULOUS AND SO SO PRETTY. End of discussion.
- “people who read books constantly” — You’ve come to the right place. Sit down. Take a cake. Wait for me to flop all over you like an excitable marmot with 2,000 book recommendations.
A collection of bookish news I find in my
obsessive stalking lowkey travels across the internet:
- VE Schwab has started a vlog series on writers craft! WHICH IS OBVIOUSLY AWESOME.
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black has a cover! I am 500% excited for this book and 500% think the cover is completely dull.
- This is old but LOOK AT THE RAVEN CYCLE GANG IN THEIR HOGWARTS HOUSES. My sister and I were sorting them and I got them all right except Gansey. I maintain he’s Ravenclaw though because he’s so eccentric and nerdy.
- Maggie Stiefvater is also writing a Raven Cycle short story. #Need
- And because I’m an obsessed Stiefvater fangirl, here is a tweet to make us all flail and die.
- Laini Taylor does a fabulous interview about her inspiration for Strange The Dreamer.
- Kristin Cashore is writing a new series! It’ll have a choose-your-own-adventure-vibe and we’re pretending the cover is horrible.
- VE Schwab talks about building a career as an author and this is SO HELPFUL.
- Dhonielle Clayton shows the GORGEOUS cover of her newest book, The Belles!! So excited!!
- Tahereh Mafi is writing MORE SHATTER ME BOOKS!!!!!! This is fabulous news. Here is another interview about it!
- Rick Riordan’s new imprint is starting up with 3 books from #ownvoices authors! I thiiiiiink they’re giong to be in the style of Percy Jackson? All gods and mythology, but via differnet authors. I recognise Roshani Chokshi, author of The Star-Touched Queen!
- The Raven Cycle is coming to TV series and I AM NOT OKAY OR HAPPY. THEY’RE GOING TO RUIN IT.
- Jude Law is going to be Dumbledore in the next Fantastic Beasts movies.
- If you’ve heard about Everything Everything being a problematic book and movie…here’s a good video that explains why. (From the POV of a chronically ill vlogger.)
- Speaking of problematic…13 Reasons Why is NOT a good book/show to be supporting. Here’s a review and an article and a twitter thread to keep you informed about its dangerous message. Oh and ANOTHER ARTICLE.
- Rebel of the Sands is becoming a movie! Because every book is these days.
- Abbiee ponders doubts we writers have which are all too relatable.
- Mikaela @ The Well Thumbed Reader discusses what makes us follow a book blog.
- Elisabeth @ Inkspelled Faery has interviewed me!
- Aine @ Writing On a Vintage Typewriter says we should talk about the glory that is Teen Wolf more and like yes??? So much agreement.
- Shanti @ Virtually Read talks about how characters look in YA and why it’s can be a problem.
I had a REALLY exciting month on twitter!! Authors spoke to me and RT’d me and I only partially died.
AHH!!! EVELYN SKYE!! ANNA BANKS!! AND EXCUSE ME BUT LAINI !!! TAYLOR !!!!
So this tweet went a little viral and I haven’t a clue why but also #yas.
- So in local news, my town got rather flattened by a flood. Which was…worrying. I live on a hill so my family was unaffected, but like the entire downtown was wiped out and most of the shops won’t recover. PLUS THE LIBRARY WAS CLOSED FOR A LONG TIME AND THAT WAS HARD.
- And in other local news, I shall be moving soon. #displeased Firstly I won’t be seeing my small nieces and nephew again and they’re mildly MY LIFE and secondly, the town we’re moving to has a pittance of a library. I researched their site and there were like FIVE BOOKS I haven’t read or own. Why. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Least to say April has not been great.
- Except I ate ice cream. And that was great.
- And I also am getting new bookshelves after we move. SO THAT’S REALLY GREAT.
- And then I had a massive breakthrough in a plot problem!! THAT WAS DOUBLY GREAT. You’re all probably sick of hearing of my outlining antics and excuse me, but I love outlining and I think I’m addicted. I’ve officially got the 5th book in my epic adult fantasy series (Glass Monsters) all nicely outlined and it is #fab. It was also 40K long. #NotFab
- THAT’S NOT AN OUTLINE, CAIT. THAT’S A SMALL BOOK.
- But here. Behold my nonsense:
- Honestly my outlines are more amusing than my books.
- Petition to not write books. Just outlines.
- But yet speaking of writing books, HEY I DID WRITE AN ACTAUL NOVEL THIS APRIL! I didn’t sign up to Camp NaNo, because I was an unofficial camper. You know, like that creepy vengeful spirit hiding in the woods outside your tents ready to eat all your snacks or tear you limb from limb? Either/or. That’s how I camp. I also invented, wrote a 16K outline, and then a 103K novel = all in 2 weeks. I’m disgusting. This one was called His Paper Graveyard (there’s a smol blurb on my pinterest boards here) and it’s basically about a magical library and a magical boy collecting the last books on sorcery in the world to lock them up because magic is being banished forever. People oppose him. He does origami. There are dragons. Lots of shooting, knives, and blood. People cry. Mostly me.
- ANOTHER SNIPPET!! Because I love you and also am not doing a full post on this book. #lazy
- Least to say it turned out well and I am pleased. I will edit exactly in never. Hahahahah JUST KIDDING. (But really…)
- Mate, I’ve written 3 books this year at a collective of 300,000 words, plus at least 100K worth of outlines. What is in the cake this year.
- Other things I’ve been doing = being judged by my dog for bookstagramming. He’s so unsupportive. And he eats my flowers.
- Also I started the Strange the Dreamer audiobook. And fajkdsald IT’S BEAUTIFUL I’M HALF IN LOVE WITH LAZLO STRANGE ALREADY. Also the narrator did The Scorpio Races so half in love with his British accent as well. I’m only 10% in but the bookworm appreciation omg. This book is my people.
- And Easter was nice! With a visit from my smol sister who has gone off to
Hogwartsuni and to learn dark witchcrafta music degree. We were able to have many animated feministic discussions, devour hot cross buns, discuss the rise and fall of civilisation and IT WAS REALLY NICE. SHE IS MY GOOD FRIEND.
- But the hot cross buns were even better friends omg.