Now hold your moths, if you know that I’m an aggressive Morpheus-Alyssa shipper, you will think you know how it ended. You will be wrong. The ending is as complex as it is delicious.
AND I WILL NOT SPOIL IT.
This is a spoiler free review (yup, no spoilers for Splintered or Unhinged either.) BUT! I need to talk about the finale so they will be in spoiler tags and please please don’t click if you haven’t read Ensnared. (ALSO: WARNING! WARNING! If you are reading this through email, click through to my blog! Apparently the spoiler tags don’t work unless you are on my blog. DO NOT READ ON! Unless you’re on my actual blog!)
Now where was I? Oh yes. Fangirling, flailing, and crying, I think.
- Fangirling = because it was so so wickedly good and perfect and the writing sucked me right in.
- Flailing = because the plot twists messed with my brain.
- Crying = because the Splintered trilogy is over now and I shall miss it.
There’s even more cruel beauty in AnyElsewhere. Everything is completely insane. I LOVE IT. The writing just…gosh. If I could ever write half as well as this, I would die happy. I adore the vibrant excruciatingly beautiful detail.
And there was so much character development for all the netherling darlings.
- Alyssa: We get to see her cruel dark side. She’s like 80% Netherling right now and she’s caving to her bloodlust. Sure she still faints like a damsel in distress a few times, BUT WE’LL FORGIVE HER. On account of the reason. Mwahaha. I cannot tell you, but it’s heartbreaking.
- Jeb: Guess what?! I don’t hate Jeb anymore! (I always thought he was well written, I just didn’t like him.) I have a lot of respect for him now. There is also the matter of him and Morpheus getting along like a moth on fire. They’re mildly adorable. And I really love Jeb’s wild bitter art. It’s beautiful.
- Morpheus: Oh well we know he is my favourite. Narcissistic, sassy, snarky, and beautiful. My only screech is that he didn’t come in until page 100. What even. I always need more Morpheus. But I loved his new relationship with Jeb…their banter was priceless.
This remains my one of my favourite of favouritest trilogies. There is not a minute where I’m not guessing and wondering and hoping and crying about what’ll happen next.
To describe the love-triangle?
Morpheus would push Alyssa off a cliff because he believes she can fly. Jeb would catch Alyssa before she got a chance to get hurt.
I AM OH SO HAPPY with this finale. It couldn’t be more perfect, really. The ending is satisfiying but leaves me crying because I want mooooore. I will miss Wonderland like nothing else. I WILL MISS THE MOTH. OH MY MORPHEUS. Ensnared surprised me from page 1 to The End. BUT IT WAS PERFECT AND I AM HAPPY*
* I also will not apologise for the amount of all caps in this post.
Thank you Thames and Hudson for the review-copy! Ensnared by A.G. Howard came out in January, 2015.
After surviving a disastrous battle at prom, Alyssa has embraced her madness and gained perspective. She’s determined to rescue her two worlds and the people and netherlings she loves. Even if it means challenging Queen Red to a final battle of wills and wiles . . . and even if the only way to Wonderland, now that the rabbit hole is closed, is through the looking-glass world–a parallel dimension filled with mutated and violent netherling outcasts. In the final installment of the wildly popular Splintered trilogy, Alyssa and her dad journey into the heart of magic and mayhem in search of her mom and to set right all that’s gone wrong. Together with Jeb and Morpheus, they must salvage Wonderland from the decay and destruction that has ensnared it. But if they succeed and come out alive, can everyone truly have their happily ever after?
I’m no genius at book quote graphics but…these are my pretties.
have you read the splintered trilogy yet?? ARE YOU GOING TO? HAVE I FLAILED ENOUGH?? (it is ginormously glorious, just so you know.) now i know, i know, love-triangles usually get glared at, but what’s the best love-triangle you’ve ever read?? tell me in the comments!
Cait is quietly squeaking over here because AG Howard pinned her zentangle fanart to her official pinterest! Her life has been made. It’s very hard saying goodbye to a favourite trilogy so fingers crossed this fabulous author writes more, right?! RIGHT?! Whilst recovering from a massive book hangover, Cait is writing lists in her new literary listography book.