I think February ate me.
Honestly it’s been a completely slack month here on the blog, although I HAVE GOOD REASONS and they involve disappearing to write two novels because apparently the moons aligned and all the inspiration was there and I just wENT FOR IT. But more on that later! For now I have to stare moodily at February’s fleeting footsteps and be monstrously offended because I never can get enough done in 28 days???? Why can’t it have the full 30??? I’ve been robbed??? #Rude
But despite the absences, I’M BACK NOW. I know you missed me. (Hush now, don’t lie. I know you did. The sun barely rises when I’m not around.) And I have monstrous happy things to shout about because guess whaaaaaaat. You know my #1 most highly anticipated read for this year, A Conjuring Of Light? Well. IT WAS FREAKING PERFECT. I’ve read so many good books lately I don’t even know what to do with myself!!
Also someone ban me from Netgalley and Edelweiss because my requesting sprees are getting ridiculous.
Save me from myself.
- RED GLOVE (#2): This is a HUGE favourite of mine and I found it for $4 at an op-shop. Yaaas to my Holly Black collection!★★★★★
- BONE GAP: Okay, this shouldn’t be in this pile because it’s a review-copy (thanks Allen & Unwin!) SO I DON’T KNOW. SOMEONE HAS MESSED UP HERE. Anyway, I first read this in 2015 and am. so. in. love. I’m rereading it right now!! ★★★★★
- ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND: 10 cents at a library sale. Most people I know hate it buuuuuut…TEN CENTS.
- CARAVAL: So pretty! So hyped! My dust jacket has the golden rose underneath (though I secretly wanted the clock but shhh I’ll not whine).
- A CONJURING OF LIGHT (#3): AFDJKSALD SO FREAKING PERFECT I THINK I DIED 9 TIMES JUST WITH ADORATION FOR EVERY PAGE.★★★★★
- THE BEAR AND THE NIGHTINGALE: I adore Russian folklore so this should be good! And look at that cover, mate. Wow.
- CARVE THE MARK: Only the most controversial book…ever? I’m keen to make my own opinion though.
(Thanks to Hardie Grant, Text, Allen & Unwin, and Bloomsbury!)
(All these are unsolicited so eek…hopefully I get to them before I’m 93.)
- HOTAKA: Doesn’t really seem like my thing?? But we’ll have a go. It’s set during the Japanese 2011 tsunami.
- THE SECRET SCIENCE OF MAGIC: I loooove this #LoveOzYA author already so this should be good. And obviously science is witchcraft because I kinda failed it in school.
- NIGHT SWIMMING: So Steph Bowe is like one of my author heroes so I’M SUPER EXCITED FOR THIS.
- THE EDGE OF EVERYTHING: Basically summarised as a: hot mess with a bucket load of paranormal cliches. [insert awkward pause here] ★★☆☆☆
- DEFY THE STARS: Not a fan of the Firebird trilogy buuuut, maybe I’ll do better with this one!
- SPELLSLINGER: This looks really fun!! And that ARC cover is totally beautiful.
- NOWHERE NEAR YOU (#2): Unfortunately I didn’t like book #1??? So fingers crossed I like this one. Or INSERT NERVOUS SMILE HERE.
- CLOSE ENOUGH TO TOUCH: This is chicklit so not sure how it’s in my life but…we’ll see?
- WONDERFUL FEELS LIKE THIS: This is about an oddball girl who finds jazz and honestly that’s terrifying because I’m allergic to jazz BUT YET WE’LL TRY IT!
- THE THINGS WE PROMISE: This is set in the 1990s so basically it’s HISTORICAL FICTION HAHAHAHHA. (Wait. I am in ’94. Help me.) And it’s about a girl going to a formal. Righto, luv.
- WE ARE STILL TORNADOES: Basically my aesthetic when I’m as the library borrowing far too many books. Never mind me. I HAVE NO CHILL. (Also hopefully this is good?!)
- FROSTBLOOD: Everyone says this is quite fun so hopefully I have quite fun.
- GIRL DETACHED: This is about a girl with a stutter!! I really want to read more about disabilities so yay!
- THIS IS OUR STORY: I admit…I mainly wanted to read this one because it looks like The Raven King cover.
- THE SWAN RIDERS (#2): I’m literally only reading this because I liked the villain in the first book. #priorities
- LUCKY FEW: About homeschoolers!! And Maraia told me to read it and she is fabulous so obviously I’m reading it.
- THE SPIRIT REBELLION (#2): The first book was about a sassy magical thief so I’m totally up for the sequel! Hopefully this is more stabby. Shh yes I did just say that. And dude, I MUST be serious about this series because I had to reserve this book and, because it’s adult, the library charged me $2! I am indignant! Libraries should be free! This better be worth it!
(all covers link to goodreads)
(I’m particularly excited about RED SISTER because the author asked me personally if I wanted an ARC!! Excuse me while I flail a minute.)
I also just hit 25K so HELLO MY NAME IS EXCITE.
I’m trying something a little different this year…with some book covers you can hover over to get my mini-opinion!
(You can still click on the covers to read my full reviews, or hover over it. Because it’s fun.)
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “paper fury potato” — You got me. I’ve got no denial. I am, in fact, a root vegetable.
- “can reading too much make you sick” — Only sick of annoying people in reality to be honest.
- “he screamed, begged and bled to his death… but no one came forward to help him! #shame” — Wow. So the hashtag is my favourite part and honestly??? This sounds like something I would write SO YOU’RE CLEARLY AT THE RIGHT BLOG.
- “paperfury cliches” — The only cliche around here is how you can 5000% expect me to mention cake.
- “what arr the effect of too much reading” — Sometimes reading too many pirate books makes you end up being a pirate. See like so? ARRRR ME HEARTIES. It’s horrid. 2/10 do not read so much.
- “paper fury grisha” — see when I’m not a potato, I also have a secondary career as a Grisha. Which means I am a magic bean and go around doing magic things. I’m only, like, a potato on Tuesdays, and Thursdays at 3pm to 7pm, and on every second Monday.
- “list 10 problem of an adult?” — DUDE. I have so many problems with being an adult. One of the worst is that you’re supposed to do things unsupervised, like drive a car or pay rent or use a knife to cut down your enemies. Like when did I sign up for this??? I need supervision to know if I’m doing it right???
- “the act of a person sleeping on books becoz of reading too much is” — I’ll finish that for you: “because reading too much is filling your house with books so you literally have nowhere to walk because there are books everywhere but you’ve never been so happy in all your days and sure you can sleep on the wet cold grass outside because your adopted book children must have your bed and that’s ok because you’d die for your darlings”. YEAH??? WE WERE BOTH THINKING THE SAME THING RIGHT??
- “bad things about books” — sometimes when you carry 12 at a time, one of them leaps off to die like Mufusa and then you have to feel bad for days and play sad music and stand in their rain because YOU’RE A MONSTER to let that happen.
- “how to make a tbr” — Do not. Thank me later.
- “paperfury sister personality” — Friendly. Kind. Will stab if you get too close.
- “fan girls know” — oh they know alright. They know everything.
- “do reading books have negative impact” — They do. Especially if you throw hardcovers at people’s heads. Impact = very negative. Do not recommend unless sorely provoked.
- “magnus bane style” — Just bathe in glitter.
- “so i’ll stack my fears like books and devour them one by one” — May I have that on a tee-shirt??? It seems like my aesthetic.
- “where are the craeture what am i tryng to say” — Something I ask myself frequently.
GOOD NEWS! Use this link here to get free shipping on EVERYTHING and 20% off totes, pouches, and phone cases!
I also have new designs because I love you. Click on the photos to go to their pages…and you can get all these designs on a range of items, like mugs, travel mugs, notebooks, pillows, tattooed on your left ankle like a picture of an eye that will make Count Olaf proud. *
* Just kidding for that last one. What even would make Olaf proud??
A collection of bookish news I find in my
obsessive stalking lowkey travels across the internet:
- Marissa Meyer’s new novel has a title: Renegades! Totally unique and I will definitely not forget it in 2 seconds. It’s about super heroes/villains!
- Veronica Roth wrote an explanation to the accusations of racism in Carve The Mark. Most are unhappy with her lack of actual apology.
- Maggie Stiefvater 5000% confirms that the new Ronan series she’s NOW OFFICIALLY WORKING ON (!!!) will not feature Ronan/Adam breaking up over angst. Omg thank you.
- I saw this MOST EPIC photo of two unlikely dudes reading Cinder on a train and it just proves YA is for everyone of ever.
- VE Schwab confirms she is working on aaaall the things and we have MUCH MORE BOOKS to look forward to from her even though the Shades of London series is over.
- Angie Thomas does an Epic Reads youtube interview that is so awesome…and guess what?!? She homeschooled!
- Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King, does a fabulous interview about badass women pirates.
- A Darker Shade of Magic is officially becoming a FILM. Which I am…terrified over. Pls don’t ruin my favourite series omg.
- Three Dark Crowns is also becoming a movie!
- Oh and Shatter Me is coming to TV with Tahereh Mafi as producer.
- Here’s some behind-the-scenes of the Avengers Infinity War for no reason because it’s not bookish news but Baby Spidey is kind of adorable and also Peter Quill is in this movie??!?
- The Everything Everything movie has a trailer! And it has ENTIRELY SPOILED THE ENTIRE MOVE IN A 2 MINUTE TRAILER. Legit: no need to see the rest of the film now. (Whattttttt were they thinking.)
- Jandy Nelson is writing the screenplay for her novel, The Sky Is Everywhere.
- Hugh Jackman is going to be in the adaption of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. Dude, I didn’t even know this was in the works.
- The Book Avid did a post on how to recognise ableism in books.
- Aimee @ To The Barricade had me guest post on her blog! LOOK I’M EVERYWHERE!!
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction has a handy guide for all the book blogger acronyms. So now you can find out what ARC, RTC, TBR, MC and OTP stand for!
- Laura @ Boats Against The Current tells you how to make more time to read.
- Buzzfeed Books shared my photo!! I’m waaaaay at the end with the Snicket photo. #fame
- Epic Reads did a bookstagram shout out/round up and GUESS WHO GOT FEATURED??!?! MY LIFE HAS BEEN MADE.
- So we must talk about A CONJURING OF PERFECT LIGHT and how I am an absolutely mess. Because now what do I obsess over???? I’m lost???? Is it too early to re-read??? I devoured 500-pages in one afternoon and then the last 100 the next day. And though it arrived ON RELEASE DAY (!!!) it actually came with the spine totally damaged. If that’s not a metaphor, what is.
- Luckily Book Depository is sending me a new one. What will I do with this one though??? I DON’T KNOW. I might give it away??? Or collect enough to build a throne????
- I also wrote those two books as I mentioned. Several times. I’M GETTING ANNOYING AREN’T I?!? But honestly I’ve never written so much so fast (200K in 8 days…although there was a 2 day break between drafts) and I’m so 5000% in love with what I wrote and when does that ever happen for a first draft??? It’s ridiculous. But you can read snippets here! And I’ll just be a small potato of happy.
- I thought I’d spend March editing a NaNoWriMo project. But also. No.
- I might just be a jellyfish and then write something else in April?
- Because editing = A SMALL STROLL THROUGH HELL ON A UNICYCLE WITH NO BREAKS.
- But also I gotta edit sometime??
- But yet…#no.
- Also I’m mentally-plotting this new idea I’ve just combusted with about what-if-every-library-you-walked-into-was-the-same-massive-library. Magical libraries, dude. Magical libraries with every book in the world and every person in the world having access. I’m currently thinking an asexual boy, a ghost, a several very dangerous explosions, and magical midnight snacks of pumpkin pie.
- I’m also plotting the 5th book in an epic fantasy adult series. Why, Cait. Why. The pinterest board is here and I’m proud. But wHY cAIT wHY. No one writes long fantasy series anymore. Stahp.
- Peoples, I just can’t stop plotting books. They’re everywhere. EVERYWHERE. LIKE GNATS ATTACKING ME FROM ALL ANGLES. I swear I have 4.5 of them on the go. I need to stop.
- But in other news my February blog page stats were AMAZING. The actual best ever and I wasn’t even blogging. So in other news I’m quitting blogging and becoming famous while not doing anything.
- HAHHAHAHA JUST KIDDING.
- (But really…)
- I ate chocolate brownie this month. Lots of it. What else do you eat whilst writing.
- I reached 25K on instagram!! And I’m a rep for Illumicrate!! I’M SO EXCITED. I’m famouser.
- Now I have been left alone in the house for the weekend...so I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself. Obviously not bake another brownie and eat it and take 394839 million photos and put my audiobooks on LOUDLY and teach my dog to make proper sandwiches while I wear alien socks and fill your lives with the nonsense that is my blog. No, no, of course not.
- I love being an introvert. #IntroversionOnLevelMaxiumum Also I love nesting in my bookshelf. Because what is a bookshelf for if not to climb on occasion and perch on top? GOOD TIMES.
- Also just a squishy THANK YOU to everyone who leaves such nice and encouraging comments for me. It is the biggest encouragement and I appreciate it endlessly. Just so you know!!!