Hello is that SPRING I see rising upon the dawn??!
I’M SO PLEASED.
Not that I hate winter, though. I quite like burrowing under quilts with a hardcover book that is 89% likely to gouge out my eye because what is up with all those pointy corners, friend? But I also feel INDUSTRIOUS in summer! I also barely ever sleep in summer! #insomnia So HELLO EXTRA READING TIME! And also distant sobbing! BUT WHATEVER.
And remember how last month I was crying under 76 kilos of unsolicited ARCs?? I FIXED IT by (A) quitting half of the publishers’ mailing lists I was signed up with; (B) reading !! some books !! that I bought !! finally; and (C) stacking up my TBR in a very tall pile and standing on it and declaring myself Queen Napoleon, Conquerer of Books. The latter was the most liberating honestly. I’m going by Queen Napo now.
All in all, I had a much better reading month. 10/10 would recommend reading what you WANT.
BOUGHT, GIFTED & WON
(It is the week of glorious red books apparently.)
- THIS SAVAGE SONG: MY DARLING MONSTER BOOK I LOVE YOU SO. I read this as an eARC but I 100% am starting a Schwab shrine. (Although why are half her books so hard to find?!?? Sheesh.) ★★★★★
- A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC: My ever so kind aunt was reading my blog and saw me moping about not owning this. And she bought it for me. Like, I have the best aunt okay.★★★★★
- BLOOD SONG: I’m reading adult fantasy because I’M AN ADULT HA! No, no, I’m not. I’m reading it because I want to write it so I’d best see what everyone else is doing. #spying
- SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA: I actually won this! Back in…February. And the blogger kindly finally sent it, ahem. But regardless, I’m so grateful to have won it because I LOVED THIS BOOK LAST YEAR AND NOW I OWN IT YAYYYY. ★★★★★
- THE SERPENT KING: I saw Emily raving about this and 100% knew it was the kind of book I needed to own. I mean, I’m actually terrified of snakes but let’s not talk about that.
(Curse you library books with your shiny covers that make photo taking A PURE NIGHTMARE.)
REVIEW COPIES AND LIBRARY HAUL
(thanks to Bloomsbury, Allen & Unwin, and Hot Keys for the review-copies and ARCs.)
- BLACKHEARTS: I actually expected to hate this…but I loved it?!? I’m desperate for the sequel!!★★★★✩ (Library)
- FLAMECASTER: Because the Seven Realm series is amazing and I need more pain in my life obviously. (library)
- THE STAR-TOUCHED-QUEEN: Okay, um, blacksheep time…I hated this. There was NO PLOT and I felt zlich for the romance and honestly sometimes the writing was so flowery it was like eating frilly lettuce. #nothanks ★★✩✩✩ (library)
- LOCKDOWN: Looook at me! This is like the first time Goodreads has said “Hey you would like this!” and I’ve gone “oKAY I’LL GIVE IT A GO”. Goodreads is my mate, basically. Better not let me down or else. (library)
- GEORGE: THIS WAS SO STINKIN’ ADORABLE. Although actually quite sexist, in retrospect. ★★★★✩ (library)
- RIDERS: I didn’t like the author’s first series so I was sooo nervous to go in. But I loved it??? So much I could scream??? SO HAPPY DAY TO ME. ★★★★✩ (library)
- OUTRUN THE MOON: Again, I wasn’t too thrilled with the author’s first book, but I’m being brave! My luck for retrying authors has been grand lately. (library)
- WHEN WE WAKE: I won this on facebook! SO YAY. Let’s cryovac people! Also I believe I won the sequel ages ago, so that’s handy.
- STEALING SNOW: Fairy tale retellings here I coooome.
- CELL 7: I have no idea what this even is. An eyeball locked in prison? Whatever did it do.
- BECOMING AURORA: Honestly I am THE WORST Australian ever because 9 times out f 10 I don’t even like Australian books. Cry with me. This one didn’t even make sense.★★✩✩✩
- HIGHLY ILLOGICAL BEHAVIOUR: So so good! One of the best books on anxiety I’ve ever read! And funny and nerdy on top. Like, where is the pizza, is this a party of goodness?! ★★★★✩
- THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR: The cover is ALL THE PRETTY. And, I mean, the book is about stuff too I assume. Not sure what. I should read the blurb…
- TIMEKEEPER: Alternate Victorian era with clocks and tragic boys. I am already a fan.
- LONG MAY SHE REIGN: This involves queens and poisonings….yas.
- THE BONE WITCH: This doesn’t come out til March 2017????? Yet it’s in my hands and the temptation to read NOW is killing me. Also that cover, amirite?!
- RADIO SILENCE: It comes very highly recommended and, apparently, has no romance (!!)
I’m nearly up to 14K on Instagram now! CUE SHOCKED EMOJI FEELINGS.
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
N U M B E R R E A D?
20!! I’m back on my track for 20-books-per-month-only-or-else goals!
B E S T B O O KS?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
- 15 Types Of Books I’m Ridiculously Addicted To
- Absurd Things That Have Happened To Me During My Book Blogging Reign
- Should The Special Snowflake Trope Be Retired?
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “paper fury faveourite blogs” — this pleases me immensely because either (A) someone is calling ME their favourite blog, or (B) that someone thinks my taste is SO GOOD that they want to know what blogs I love. Good job, unknown mortal. (And better luck on the spelling next time. I know we all have bad days, or like, bad lifetimes for spelling.)
- “writing advice paperfury” — The very best writing advice I can give you is DON’T LISTEN TO ANYTHING I SAY. I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING!! I AM DANGEROUS!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN, INNOCENT SOUL!!
- “books without love triangles with gorgeous guys” — Well excuse you. All YA guys are gorgeous. Non-gorgeous YA guys do not exist. They are basically R.O.U.S’s.
- “effect of reading too much” — Too much knowledge. Too many opinions. Hankering for fictional food that doesn’t exist. I do not recommend reading at all. Nope.
- “some ppl they patronise me i gonna show the side of me and how capable i am” — I am…super glad for you??? Like, go human mortal! Show the world you are a capable thing! But also, while we’re chatting, HOW THE FLAMING AVOCADO SOUP did this lead to my blog??
- “do ya novels need a love interest” — No, they definitely do not. What they actually need is (A) more custard tarts, (B) more dragons, (C) more puppies, and (D) more mass destruction of humankind. So please go write a books and fulfil my needs.
- “old adult peoblem book” — possibly not being able to spell, also…oh I don’t know. I’m not old yet. Maybe your eyeballs falling out from old age while you’re reading??? That could happen right??? #OldPeoblems
- “which book should i always carry with me” — a massive one. At least a 600+ page hardcover. Because (and I keep telling everyone this but nooooo they don’t listen) THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE IS COMING. And who is the world going to turn to when that happens? BOOKWORMS. Because we have done the research. We know how it will go! And we will have books to defend ourselves with! #winning
- “sarah j maas character names” — Just slap your keyboard and you’ll get there quite fine. For instance, there is Celeananannan Sardtheieyeneyn and Alien Asyrhryvyvvyyr Gallagher Island. One of the love interests is a vegetable. Another is Dory. Another is a tree. I do not think the dog’s name is Spot.
- “how to fangirl silently” — Duct tape a pillow to your face while you’re shrieking. You’ll probably also die, but please don’t let that stop you! Come back as a ghost! Continue fangirling transparently!
- “if you read too much about sly paralysis” — You might…get sly paralysis? Honestly what even is that? I would go google but then I’d end up on my blog and I’M TELLING YOU, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT, JON SNOW.
- “image of cake with name of rashika” — We’re naming cakes now?! Omg. This is going to be my next career choice. I will work at a fine restaurant and whip out the dessert and say grandly, “This is my cake which I hath made and it’s name is….*dramatic drumroll* …BELINDA.”
- “why didn’t you bring your book” — I want this on a tee-shirt.
Oh HELLO THERE 10% off + FREE shipping on Society6!
This sale ends soon (I think…I actually have no idea. Society6 doesn’t tell me anything, sheesh.) So get thee in fast! I haven’t made new designs for a while because I am a slack melon. But my older ones are still pretty dang awesome. #humble
(CLIKE PHOTOS TO GO TO THEIR PAGES)
A U T H O R S
- Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman are writing MORE BOOKS TO DESTROY US. Do we be happy or start mass-collecting ice cream??
- Maggie Stiefvater just outlined a Ronan-centred trilogy. LIKE I CANNOT SCREAM WITH JOY ENOUGH I ACTUALLY CAN’T BREATHE BUT WHAT IS AIR AND IT DOESN’T MATTER RIGHT.
- Derek Landy is writing MORE Skulduggery Pleasant. We’re all so deadly pleased. (hhhahhha #punny)
- Renee Ahedieh (author of The Wrath and the Dawn) is writing a new dulology...and it’s a Mulan retelling!
- Who are the highest paid authors currently? This was very very interesting. #2 really surprised me and JK Rowling is only #3!
- Tahereh Mafi is writing a book about a Persian girl who washes dead bodies and HELLO I’M SOLD.
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- The Silmarillion is becoming a MOVIE. Go wild Tolkien nerds!
- Narnia is coming back with The Silver Chair! Let’s hope….they don’t murder it this time? (And like how are they going to do this with Eustace being so old now?!?)
- The Chaos Walking movie has it’s first cast member!
B L O G G E R S
- Abbiee asks if introverts can have a good time and if they’re missing out on anything? And really, this is a brilliant post.
- Carrie @ Paper Bindings is hosting a #bookstagram awards! Go vote for your favourites! (Aka go vote for me. #hint hint)
- Emily @ Loony Literate lists things all bookworms desperately dream of having.
- Elizabeth @ Waltz & Willow talks about things to know before you start blogging.
— Cait (@PaperFury) August 27, 2016
- I reached 5,000 followers on twitter!! So in other news, when I take over the world there will be 5,000 of us live-tweeting it. Aren’t you pleased?
- Also is anyone else FREAKING OUT about how many releases are coming out in September?! I’m pretty sure the publishers are cackling evil from the book-making-factories. I want them all. I can’t have them all. PLEASE SEND CAKE FOR THIS TRAUMA. I’m particularly ridiculously excited for Crooked Kingdom and Like a River Glorious.
- As you may know, I’m an avid babysitter of my older sister’s 3
holy terrorsdelightful children. My 3yo niece and I have developed a routine of spending Friday mornings together. DOING CRAFT. Like just imagine one of those little toys that get stuck saying one phrase over and over again. This is my niece. “CAIT CAN WE DO CRAFT CAIT CAN WE DO CRAFT” etc etc. Omg. We spent 2.5 hours doing craft yesterday. THAT IS DEDICATION.
- Things are heating up in the craft fandom over here. (But also isn’t she adorable?)
- And FYI my entire life is glitter right now.
- Note To Self: Do NOT give 3yos unsupervised glitter time.
- I plotted 3 novel outlines. PLOTTING ALL THE THINGS. And I just want to say that plotting makes me very very happy. I get totally lost in my own imagination and 100% zone out. #goodtimes Except when my outline passed 17,000-words and how about no and how about I retire now. Plus which of these am I choosing for NaNoWriMo this November??? Why is my life s hard??? (Stay tuned, I’ll do a post detailing all these novel ideas and then get you all to vote!) Also, as you can see, my plot outlines are still very very serious:
- Has anyone else been mildly terrified of Twitter lately?!? It seems rather angry. Between diversity arguments, author hate, and general Sarah J Maas books drama…I’ve wanted to hide. I just want to talk about books and have fun. WHY CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG.
- I want to be a bookshelf when I grow up. I had 10 seconds to run across my room, climb my bookshelf, get my Batman socks at the right angle, and NOT FALL OFF THE BOOKSHELF because spoiler alert: the top is covered with books also. So appreciate this photo. I nearly died. #TheThingsYouDoForBookstagram
(My Batman socks actually have little capes, by the way. As all socks should have.)