Guess what?! I’m FAMOUS.
Well, shh, let me pretend anyway. But firstly I reached 10,000+ followers on instagram which is KIND OF A BIG DEAL FOR ME. I’ve always seen those accounts with 10K and thought, “Well that’s what happens when you’re famous and have a fairy godmother probably and drink tea out of golden teacups”. BUT LOOK AT ME I’M HERE! Minus the golden teacups! But still!
And secondly, I’ve officially been quoted inside a book!! It’s the latest printing of The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl. So therefore, I am now incredible.
(And famous for sure.)
(Oh let me dream.)
ANYWAY! Moving forward! I’ve also been a reading machine this month and devoured 25 books. Most were awful. And it’s made me seriously consider quitting receiving review-books. ARCs and I have the kind of relationship where we’re quite excited to meet and share a mango smoothie…but then we rapidly dissolve into wanting to stab each other. #awkward BUT MORE ON THAT LATER! First I have books to flail over and news to share!
Also huge thanks to everyone who reads my recaps. I know I ramble but…I seriously love writing these!!
LIBRARY, BOUGHT & WON
(My book order HAS NOT ARRIVED ergo this is probably what the apocalypse feels like.)
- PAPER AND FIRE (#2): I won this from the fabulous Jenna! And it’s so beautiful I cannot even with the levels of gorgeousness here. (PS. Those are dragons on the cover. DRAGONS.)
- THE BOY MOST LIKELY TO: oh thank the library for FINALLY BUYING THIS (even though they shelved it as adult??? wut now) and it was cute and adorable and Tim is such a tragic sassy cinnamon roll. <3 ★★★★
- THE PROBLEM WITH FOREVER: This will be my first Jennifer L Armentrout read!! Bless my library!
- STUNG: 50cents at a library sale? I’LL TAKE THE RISK. Even though the cover is harping on about it being the next Hunger Games. Oh please stop.
REVIEW COPIES & ARCS
(thanks to Bloomsbury, Penguin Teen, Allen & Unwin, Walker Books, and Simon & Schuster)
- AND I DARKEN: This is ridiculously glorious. SO STABBY. Gender bent Vlad the Impaler historical retelling and you need it. ★★★★
- MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN: I assume I got sent this because of the new movie-cover?? And as far as movie-covers go..it’s not bad! (I’m still confused why Johnny Depp isn’t in this Tim Burton movie? WHAT IS THIS LIFE.) Unfortunately I read Miss P’s two years ago and thought it was pretty bland. It wasn’t even creepy??? ★★
- ELSEWHERE: I speculate this is being reprinted because it, too, is an old book. So random fact: I hate DNF’ing books. I literally never do it. YET THIS IS ONE OF THE ONLY BOOKS I’VE EVER DNF’D. hahahah. Oh dear. I may retry it, since I tried it like 4 years ago. ★
- THE BOOK THAT MADE ME: This is an anthology with a gazillion (mostly Australian?!) authors contributing. LOOKS FUN.
- THE BOUNDLESS SUBLIME: A cult book…my least favourite trope unfortunately.
- NERVE: Another old book being reprinted (in honour of the movie!) and honestly…it wasn’t very thrilling for a thriller. BUT I AM A PICKY GRAPE. ★★
- QUEEN OF SOMEDAY: This was a freebie. Extremely cool, right?! Anyway, it’s about Russia and hopefully it’s about a girl finding more clothes than just frolicking about in clouds.
- TELL ME SOMETHING REAL: This was one my “need-it-or-die” list and I got approved on Edelweiss! HUZZAH. It involves a pianist! #win
- THE ARCHITECT OF SONG: This is by one of my most favourite authors of ever, who PERSONALLY CONTACTED ME TO ASK IF I WANTED AN ADVANCED EARC. I died. I mean, I said yes first, then I died.
- THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES: Because Mindy McGinnis is awesome.
I OFFICIALLY REACHED 10,000 FOLLOWERS ON INSTAGRAM!!! I AM SO RIDICULOUSLY HAPPY.
Well actually it’s 11,000 now. #SoFabulous I honestly never thought this would happen so CUE EXCITEMENT FROM ME.
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
I’m supposed to only read 20 books per month. Keep the stress down, you know? (I’m a chronic over-achiever here, okay??!) WELL I READ 25 SO I HAVE FAILED MY GOALS.
N U M B E R R E A D?
B E S T B O O KS?
This section is reserved for 5-star reads…I HAD EXACTLY NONE. LET ME WEEP ON YOUR SHOULDER. I’m used to at least one 5-star!! #crying
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “what kind of characters you shouldn’t kill” — THE DOG, DANGIT. DO NOT KILL THE DOG. All humans are okay to be knocked off, though. Go wild.
- “worst types of characters” — the ones that kill the dogs.
- “i can’t be a fangirl anymore” — Why? ARE YOU DEAD??? Even then I fully believe in fangirling in the afterlife. Don’t let the haters get to you.
- “why did chaol die” — wAiTTTT hE dIDN’t????? Or what version did you read that I did not?????
- “high school books without romance or violence” — But I ask you…what’s left without a little kiss or a little stabbing?????
- “is fangirling normal at age 50?” — Considering I’m not even halfway there, my opinion is most likely void. Although I envision myself fangirling at 50, if that helps. I’ll probably be fangirling at 99 and then die of a feels attack.
- “intj bullied” — but see that’s the thing with being an INTJ! If someone is mean to you…. SMITE THEM. I am a true problem solver.
- “my friend says i read too much books” — Simple solver is to have ONE LESS FRIEND.
- “what kind of authors are there” — People lie and say there are “nice” authors who smile politely at children and engage in small talk. But. #LIES The only kind of author is the one that sips the tears of the readers for breakfast, consumes souls, and laughs evilly long into the night. OH WAIT. There is one other kind: ghost writers. They’re dead probably.
- “intj world domination” — Oh, me?
- “penalties if you break rules in a desereted island” — Well, I suppose you die of hunger or thirst or like a coconut falls on you and kills you? IDEK, mate. Be safe if you’re on a desererereted island.
AND MY NEW FAVOURITE:
WHO CAN KNOW THOUGH??? It’s a mystery to us ALL.
GOOD NEWS! Society6 is having FREE shipping this weekend!
R.I.P. your self control basically.
Also here are some lovely photos humanoids who’ve purchased my designs have shared with me!! Aren’t they kind?! AREN’T MY THINGS BEAUTIFUL? (Spoiler: yes.)
And now for aaaaaall the news from around the bookish realms during July!
A U T H O R S
- V.E. Schwab (aka the QUEEN) talks about the path to success and how it’s freaking tough.
- Becky Albertalli has sold two more books so YAY.
- Jeff Zetner (author of The Serpent King) has a cover for his second book, Goodbye Days!
- Sarah J Maas is coming out with a helluva lot more books in the Throne of Glass and ACTOAR worlds.
- THERE WILL BE A LUNAR CHRONICLES COLOURING IN BOOK!!!!!!!!
- A.G. Howard is teasing information about her latest book project! It’s soooo coooooool.
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- Everything Everything is going to be a movie! Starring
RueAmandla Stenberg! Cue…not applause from me over this book, but ahem. #blacksheep
- Apparently the universe hates Divergent so much they don’t want to publish the 4th movie??? They’re talking about a TV series? Like wut wut wut.
- This isn’t exactly bookish but…Season 6 will be the END of Teen Wolf. CUE TEARS.
- This Savage Song has been picked up to be a movie!! PLEEEEASE DON’T LET THEM RUIN IT THIS BOOK IS MY PRECIOUS DARLING.
- They’re remaking Diary Of Wimpy Kid because…who knows. Help this world.
B L O G G E R S
- Kate @ The Parchment Girl has interviewed meeeee. Isn’t she the kindest?!
- Emily @ Loony Literate has tips to spice up your bullet journal. (Her pictures = <333)
- Like I said: worst reading month of ever. I do blame it on the ARCs. I requested one and got about 20. That is…that is too much. And after battling 14 ARCs and still having a million on my TBR — I’m considering something drastic. I’m probably going to quit taking ARCs altogether. THIS KIND OF BREAKS MY HEART. This was my #2 reason for book blogging!! (The #1 reason was, obviously, world domination and that’s still going strong.) But I’m not enjoying these ARCs and I never get a chance to read books I choose for myself. SO HERE WE ARE. So far I’ve resigned from 4 publishers reviewing-lists. I’m considering going the whole hog.
- I am, apparently, all or nothing.
- I feel a little lost.
- WHAT HAVE I DONE.
- (Let me know how you handle ARC overwhelm because I AM IN DIRE NEED HERE.)
- (And to be perfectly clear: I have nothing against ARCs! I don’t even know why I keep getting so many unsolicited. I’m really grateful, but simultaneously really stressed out hahhhahhaha. #dead)
- But in happier news I have plotted out my NaNoWriMo novel! Um…yes, I’m aware it’s not quite even August. It’s not too soon, right???
- I’m also reworking the 7-book fantasy series I started when I was 15. I’m sure this is a terrible horrible no good very bad idea AND I’M SO EXCITED. The original is horrible, let’s not discuss it. But this????? This is glorious. It will be possibly be adult/new-adult trilogy and quite dark and involve creating monsters. Because what else do you do in your spare time?
- I also finished the outline for my epic fantasy, A Throne Named Death, WHICH I TALK ABOUT A LOT but it’s got magicians and it’s Russian so no one minds I’m sure. The outline ended up as 10,000-words though. How did this happen????? Someone RESTRAIN ME FROM TYPING. Needless to say the outline is like 94% my amusing myself with my stunning wit. No one ever said the writing life was for the sane. Also apparently the furniture in this book has cantankerous opinions.
- Actually, my computer took that “restrain me from typing” request seriously and my “B” and “O” keys refuse to work half the time. I can’t break my computer. I CAN’T. I NEED IT. MY COMPUTER IS MY LIFE FORCE RIGHT HERE.
- Also I finished my outline for my adorable contemporary called The Boy Who Steals Houses. The pinterest aesthetic is yellow, I don’t know why.
- So basically I’ve been plotting/outlining about FIVE BOOKS in July. You may now refer to me as the Ideas Queen and then cry with me because I need 984 more days in this year so I can write them all.
- My parental made the comment of “you should get rid of some books because you don’t want to live in a room so full of books you can’t move do you?” HAHAHHAHHAHAAHHAH…but, I do.
- My fabulous critique partner Emily made my day with this comment on my latest book:
- My critique partner is the best, by the way. PS. Yes, it went to my head.
- I AM CO-HOSTING A #BOOKSTAGRAM CHALLENGE!! And I need you!! I do. Look at me begging with my adorably cute puppy-dog eyes. You don’t have to be an Aussie to join, just use these prompts and the hashtag #AusYAChallenge and go wild, fiends.
- And I actually admit my photos in this post haven’t been the best. This is because I was simultaneously photographing books and babysitting this cute lump and yelling at my dog to stop stealing my props and inserting his own toys. It’s been a hectic day.
- AND LASTLY! Do you have post requests for me??? Because I had a writing-post request from some twitterers and it came to my attention that maybe you too might have some requests! Ergo feel free to shout out in the comments! ABOUT ANY KIND OF POST! For instance:
- a tutorial you’d like?
- a writerly question you want my sage advice on (Even though I PRETTY MUCH KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW BUT I LIKE MAKING OPINIONS ANYWAY. SO GOOD TIMES.)
- specific blogging tips
- or even just something you’re dyyyying for me to talk about in general. I am listening. (I can’t make promises, but I’ll TRY.)