Playing Noah’s Ark with my 2-year-old nephew, I taught him how to greet
people animals things.
I admit: it’s a good phrase. A good greeting. I plan to treat 2013 the same way (give or take the references to cheetahs and peacocks…)
I haven’t done New Year Resolutions before, except the occasional “I’m-going-to-finish-a-book” which I knew I would before I made the resolution. Typical for me. I like achievable goals. Tangible goals. The airy ones are all fine (like “get-published” or “polish-a-novel-to-perfection”) but sometimes they’re out of your control. I can’t make a resolution to, say, get an agent this year.
But I could (not saying I am, just a could there, people) make a resolution to try for the first time submitting to an agent. (Okay…talk me into it. I’ll make this a resolution.)
So, I do have a few resolutions in the back of my head. Most of them are still on my list of 19 and a Half Things to do Before I’m 19 and a half. I’m going to update the list and make it 20 Things to do Before I’m 20. But I’ll do that in a few weeks, closer to my birthday.
For now, I’m content just to list a few literary-style achievements from last year. (Although some nephew/niece and musical ones might slip in there too…)
– Learnt to blog (properly!) and made some pretty awesome bloggy friends
– Found some encouraging teen-writer sites like Go Teen Writers and Teens Can Write Too! and YA Highway.
– Watched some incredibly cool movies (including The Avengers // The Hobbit // Mirror Mirror // Brave)
– Acquired some new favourite books (like Divergent // Insurgent // Unwind // The Scorpio Races // Shiver // Preloved // Milkweed)
– Wrote my first draft query letter (exciting but scary stuff)
– Taught my nephew a lot of new and important things (like greetings // how to eat something and then say “Mm, tasty!” // his interpretation of an evil laugh // grapes are life // how to play The Kraken on the piano)
– Taught my niece to say “hair” (honestly, she did say it! She may be only 2 months, but she did speak). Oh and she smiles at me and I can make her stop crying, so I consider this a bonus achievement.
– Learnt to play cello. And hit 5th grade. Kind of happy about that…
– Had my book beta-read (for the first time) by people outside my family!
– Acquired my very own ultra-special Mockingjay necklace (I’m very proud)
– Grew my hair past my waist
– Finished a
more sort of polished version of my first novel
Not all. Just a few things that made the year special for me.
So, 2013? What are we going to do this year?
PS What are some of your 2012 highlights? Some top books or movies? Writing achievements? Are you making Resolutions this year or just going to see what happens?