Okay first off, please look at the above picture and admire my new BANNED SOCKS.
I’ve always wanted to have controversial feet.
Now onwards to the recap of THIS MONTH! Of which I’m doing a few days early and yes there’s 2 more days of July but is anything going to happen? EH. Okay actually — not true. While you’re reading this I AM CURRENTLY WRITING A BOOK!! Yes!! Another one!! But more on that in the lifey section of this post.
Now if you need me, I am nesting upon my bookshelf with my controversial feet, snacking on souls.
Umm…wait. I mean soup. Haha. Easy typo to make.
Also I just want to say THANK YOOOOOOOU at least 4 times to ALL you who read my recaps! I know they’re long and a little random but I love writing them and APPRECIATE YOUR EYEBALLS READING THEM. #EyeballApprecationAtLevel100
- THE CROWN’S FATE: I already read it but fajdskald I needed to own it because I loved it so much. Russian fantasy at its finest. ★★★★★
- THE NEAR WITCH: And this isn’t a buy because it was a GIFT from the lovely @DualReads!! SO SO EXCITED!! I couldn’t find a copy of this anywhere in Australia!! THANK YOU, CLARE.
- THE GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE: AHHHHH MY FAVOURITE BOOK OF THE YEAR. <3 I actually got this in the @OwlCrate book box!! ★★★★★
- ELIZA AND HER MONSTERS: Gahhhh this was amazing! A did a collab with my friend Mish on it and we both agree it is SPLENDID. ★★★★☆
- SPELLBOOK OF THE LOST AND FOUND: I loved the author’s debut so so so excited for this one!!
- ASH & QUILL: Okay waaaait this book got in the wrong photo. This is actually a review book from Berkley Publishing. (IN AMERICA OMG I’M LOVED ACROSS THE SEAS.) So thank you!!! I’m super keen to read this and like #Intense #Cover #Love. Also they also sent me the banned book socks!!
- BANG: This is about a boy who accidentally killed his sister when he was 4 and…it seems like it’s going to be super feels destroying.
(Thanks to Bloomsbury and Allen & Unwin for the surprise review copies!)
- LOST FOR WORDS: Omg I don’t do well with chicklit I JUST DON’T. (No clue why they keep sending it to me?) But at least it’s set in a bookstore??
- NO FILTER: So at first I thought “OH WOW LOTS OF SWEARING!” but no I think it’s perhaps like “no instagram filter on your life” sort of vibe??? Sigh.
- LEARNING TO SWEAR IN AMERICAN: Oh good. I need tips.
- GAP YEAR IN GHOST TOWN: So this looks really fun, but I didn’t like the author’s book Blaze of Glory particularly sooooo #nervous.
- LIVING ON HOPE STREET: Like 70 billion narrators so the story was a bit thin. ★★★☆☆
- SPARROW: Super tragic until the freaking weird ending and all the survival scenes were…well I napped.★★☆☆☆
(all covers link to goodreads)
I’M SO SO EXCITED TO HAVE ADAM SILVERA’S NEW BOOK AHHHHHH!!!!
The RAINBOW AESTHETIC is strong this month.
Don’t forget to scroll/hover over the covers! They flip around and will show you a mini review and star-rating!
Also click on them to take you to my review. HOW FUN IS THIS. Spoiler: Very fun.
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “what happens if u continuosly read” — Your eyeballs burst into flame and you become queen of the underworld. 10/10 would recommend.
- “court of thorns and roses lgbt characters” — only if you have an excellent imagination and are also blind.
- “best books to read to become a con man” — LOOK I DON’T KNOW. I’M A GOOD PERSON I SWEAR. I DIDN’T ROB THOSE BANKS OR STEAL THE MONA LISA THAT TIME.
- “infandous in a sentence” — This is a good sentence: It was infandous to even think Cait wouldn’t mention The Raven Cycle 93 times a day.
- “don’t make it look like i’m the bad one” — Someone’s got to take the fall, Susan, and it’s not going to be me. I have an angelic face and am very good at crying. YOU be the bad one.
- “what to do when you feel that the book you are writing is not interesting?” — Feed your characters cake and then MURDER THEM. Not that, um, ahem excuse me…not that I would do that in a book…
- “the next big trend in horror novels 2018” — Manuals on adulting. [insert shuddering and terror]
- “when you read too much detective books” — Your face changes slightly and you develop into a Cumberbatch. 10/10 would also recommend.
- “fury cool writing” — This is how I pitch myself to the publishing world, to be honest. I will be a published author super soon at this rate.
- “will my actor crush like me?(quizzes)” — Um…solid no. Authors only like fictional dead people and caffeine.
- “too big tbr” — What you actually mean is “too small house”. Try investing in a castle.
- “does excess reading have any effect on the size of the head” — Yes it does cause swelling. All that knowledge, ugh. To relieve pressure, just go read Youtube comments for 3 minutes and you’ll feel your IQ dropping by the second.
I FINALLY made new Society6 designs! And more are coming!!
I’m pretty proud of this lot, though. And again, if there’s something you want to see: LET ME KNOW. I work hard at least once every full moon.
A collection of bookish news I find in my
obsessive stalking lowkey travels across the internet:
- Jenny Han’s To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before IS BEING MADE INTO A MOVIE!! Normally I don’t care about movie-adaption news but this is really sweet and awesome. <3 More photos here!
- Apparently we’re getting 2 Game of Thrones books in 2018…haha…hahahahah. Sure.
- The Wrinkle in Time trailer is EPIC AND LOOKS SO GOOD. That cast tho. WOW.
- Here’s a list of books becoming movies in 2018.
- This isn’t exactly bookish…but if you’re an introvert, these memes are FAB.
- Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight talks about things she likes about your blog!
- Evelina @ Avalinah’s Books talks about that thing where we buy books and don’t…read…them. #Guilty
- SO as you might’ve noticed I’ve had a rather dead turtle of a reading month. My best reads were rereads. What is this life. However I was determined to burn through some of the unsolicited ARCs that’ve been piling up. But still…
- So much disappoint.
- So much sad.
- And, like I said, I’M CURRENTLY WRITING A BOOK! As you read this I should (a) be about 40,000-words in, and (b) due to finish on Monday, unless (c) the apocalypse is happening or I quit writing and turned to the career path of my dreams: which is obviously = piratage.
- But if I’m still here and not striking across the seven seas then I’m writing a…
- PINOCCHIO RETELLING! It’s also the finale of my contemporary trilogy that starts with The Boy Who Steals Houses (Goldilocks retelling). And last month I wrote book #2 which is The Boy Who Builds The Moon (Peter Pan retelling) and now I’ll finish up with The Boy Who Breaks His Wings (Pinocchio retelling). I’m like SO FRIKKIN PROUD of this trilogy. It actually has my heart. And it has murdered my heart. And I’m in pain.
- The basic gist of the series is…it’s about two homeless brothers who accidentally get kidnapped into a big, loud, noisy family and chaos and food and summer ensues. ALSO A FEW CAR CHASES AND LOTS OF SMOL SHARP KNIVES. Because I am writing this.
- Of the 5 people who’ve read it, all agree I’m super mean and should stop please immediately. Lovely. My sister’s comments were a lot of howling. Fed my dark soul most nicely.
- ANYWAY ENOUGH OF THAT.
- GO WRITE THE FINALE CAIT AND PLEASE DON’T KILL EVERYONE.
- Also FYI this was supposed to be a standalone. I hate myself sometimes.
- Also my parental read it and I nearly died. But the verdict was positive. I am also an evil writer.
- #No #Regrets.
- ONTO OTHER NEWS.
- I tried to expand my horizons this month by watching a movie. Solid no. Why are movies so slow and boring. Where did my attention span go. Did I leave it in the dishwasher.
- I’m also continuing to rep for @Illumicrate on Instagram! WHICH IS SO EXCITING. And if you’re hanging out to get one of their (epic) book boxes, I highly recommend it! Plus I have a discount code, so use “CAIT10” at check out to get 10% off your order. (And FYI they often put two books in their boxes.)
- AND HEY MATILDA RETWEETED ME SO THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME. I’m famous now, obviously.
- I watched a VERY interesting discussion about the Carve the Mark controversy. This is done by a POC booktuber and I highly recommend watching it. She read the book and dissects a lot of the criticism and actually says a lot of them are wildly false, particularly the accusations of racism. Now I admit: I am scared to read the book. I’ve been sent hate messages for owning it. I obviously don’t want to diminish people’s concerns or those who’ve been hurt by it, but I would like to read it for myself. Eventually. We’ve talked about my INCREDIBLE MT. EVEREST TBR PROBLEMS. Anyway — this was an interesting perspective.
- In more exciting news: I have been drinking Jaffa-flavoured-homemade-hot-chocolates. Otherwise known as HEAVEN.
- My puppy keeps stealing my socks and eating my bookstagram flowers. He’s so so about to be for sale.
- LOOK AT THOSE EYES THOUGH. HOW DO I STAY ANGRY. EVEN THOUGH THAT’S MY ROSE, YOU LITTLE MONSTER. Why must dogs be so precious.
- ALSO I JUST WANT TO TAKE A MOMENT TO SAY BOOKS ARE SO GORGEOUS. I can’t even. I think we need to just appreciate how pretty they are sometimes. Boooooooks.
so did anyone commit any marvellous writing feats in July?!? TELL ME ABOUT YOUR WONDROUS SELF. do you own any evil pets? have you had a good vs disappointing reading month? and what’s your TBR status this month??? are you eating through it or just, you know, drowning happily?
PS. Pleeeease let me know if you’re getting emailed my replies to your comments????! Because I’m not sure if my widget is working?!