It’s that glorious time when I reflect on how I have more books than sense!
Which isn’t very hard??? Because I only have like 4% sense and even less than that on Tuesdays because I always take Tuesdays off. To do things like eat scones and plot dark conspiracy theories.
And speaking of dark conspiracy theories, it’s APRIL! Which means many writing fiends of the world are going to trundle off and novel themselves into glory and sleep deprivation with Camp NaNoWriMo. Naturally I must join. While you are reading this, I will be hammering away at my laptop to write a book this weekend. Just a quickie. I’m not taking a blogging hiatus so I’ll be around to answer comments and yell at you about scones very soon. But, in case you’re nosey, I’m writing a book about a magical library, origami that comes alive, a smol badass hero, and cereal. You can snoop my pinterest if you like. (There’s a little blurb up there too!) And we can agree AGAIN how little sense I have because I literally came up with this book in 4 days and finished a 16K outline for it in a week.
Oh, what is that you ask? Chill? No. I know not chill.
ALSO GUESS WHO WENT VIRAL ON TWITTER?!?!?!? (Again with the no chill.) I’m still freaking out!!
I’ll only flail for, like, eternity.
Anyway! Onto the books and bookish news!
- ULTIMATUM: Because I’m absolutely trash for brother stories, okay.
- DAUGHTER OF THE PIRATE KING: I’VE BEEN WAITING ALL MY LIFE FOR THIS BOOK. PLEASE BE BRILLIANT. I NEED PIRATES. I LOVE PIRATES.
- A GATHERING OF SHADOWS: I mean obviously this is my favourite book ever because I’m collecting the series in hardcover. #obsessed ★★★★★
- THE MAGICIAN’S GUILD: a glorious library sale steal for 50 cents. I mean. How can I say no.
- REPLICA: Again! Library sale 50 cents steal! I killed the corner of the cover getting the sticker off. [mumbled curses of pain]
- WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS: Considering how in love I was with The Weight Of Feathers I basically needed this immediately. Plus Emily says it’s brilliant and Emily is brilliant SO. What can go wrong.
- CITY OF SAINTS AND THIEVES: I love thieves. Love ’em.
- INK AND BONE: And this wasn’t even on sale at the library…it was freaking free. SO YES I GOT IT. EVen though I own the hardcover. Freeeee, peoples. I had to adopt it. ★★★★☆
(Thanks to Walker Books, Pan Macmillan, Bloomsbury, and Simon & Schuster!)
- THE HATE U GIVE: Such a powerful book so worthy of the hype. ★★★★★
- QUEENS OF GEEK: This was so nerdy and awesome!! Glorious diversity (including Autism!) rep and I’m on the blog tour in May so yayyyyyyy. ★★★★☆
- THIS SIDE OF HOME: Noclue what it’s about apart from tWINS. SO YAY.
- WINTERSONG: I actually won/gifted this, but whatever. It’s BEAUTIFUL. I can’t wait to read it!
- THE STATE OF GRACE: I’m excited for this one because it features Autism! But notpleased that Goodreads rates ASD as “mental Illness”. Can you just…not. ever. again.
- CHARISMA: When the blurb says “suffers from shyness” and I straight away felt like murdering someone…yeah. No. I usually give unsolicited review-books a chance but this one is NOT HAPPENING. There is nothing wrong with being shy, garghhhhhghhh.
- WHERE YOU’LL FIND ME: It looks far too fluffy but WE’LL SEE.
- RELEASE: Ahhhh!!! Patrick Ness!!! My feels want to be broken!!!
- RED SISTER: An excellent and stabbtastic adult epic fantasy about assassin nuns!! Thanks to the author and Harper Voyager for the copy! ★★★★☆
(Okay so it’s raining insanely right now because a cyclone ate Australia. So excuse the no photo of my library lovelies.)
(all covers link to goodreads)
I’ve already read The Crown’s Fate and like 5 STARS AND IT WAS BEAUTIFUL RUSSIAN PERFECTION. Also I’ll be on the blog tour in the upcoming months so keep thine eyeballs peeled.
Hover over the book covers to get my mini opinion! You can also click on them to go read my full review!
(Because it’s fun.)
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “too much reading is good” — If libraries could talk, I’m 99% sure they’d say this.
- “what will happen to you when you read too much” — Intelligence. Happiness. A dark view of society. The realisation that if you sacrifice a teenage boy under the blood moon you might become an evil queen which is, obviously, #goals.
- “things to say to someone who reads too much” — Try these suggestions: Good job! I support you! I will be like you when I grow up! I’d love to gift you $1000 every month to spend on books!
- “why is the love triangle in books always two boys and one girl” — Because unfortunately the world is inherently sexist, and 2 girls competing over 1 guy would be seen as clingy, bitchy, and desperate. Whereas 2 boys + 1 girl = attractive. DUDE, I WAS JUST SERIOUS AND DEEP THERE FOR A MINUTE. HOLD YOUR SOCKS. WHAT IS THIS.
- “editor is a odd one? yes/no” — oh yes. Absolutely YES. 10/10 would say yes every time.
- “historical sites name from unfortunate word” — Let’s see, there’s the word “earth”. That’s both historical and unfortunate.
- “reaction paper red queen” — I think the paper reacted somewhat like this:
- “what happens when a bookworm falls in love” — they have to get a bigger castle because where else will they put all their new romantic partners, aka new bookshelves.
- “reading in sleep” — If you’ve figured it out??? Please let me know????
- “samples of melancholy ways to kill protagonist at the end of your story” — WELL SIT DOWN, DARLING! YOU AND I HAVE SO MUCH TO TALK ABOUT!
- “what fangirl do when theyre bored” — Destroy the patriarchy, explore interdimensional time travel, and lead armies of the darkness across the barren lands.
- “how does everyone organise their tbr piles?” — Well I have a little barricade that I keep nicely between my TBR and I. You know, mostly tables and chairs and war-style sandbags, while I huddle behind in a helmet and kevlar and clutch a kitchen knife and pray to the high heavens that I live out the night since I’ve neglected reading that book for 5 years.
- “do i need scrivener” — Yes. But make sure it’s an equal relationship. Scrivener will organise your life, but what will you do for it??? Go out to dinner?? Give it Easter presents?? Sing softly to it in the moonlight?? Equality in all relationships please. Does Scrivener need YOU.
- “ya books with no boys” — I’m CRACKING UP. Also…are there any??? It’s a good question.
- “the challenges of young adult literature” — Ugh don’t get me started on the challenges. The #1 worst one is: you can’t just read one. You have to read 900. They’re like darn potato chips.
- “paper fury vulcan” — YOU GOT ME. Spock is my brother.
- “i am hunger to read books” — Same.
A collection of bookish news I find in my
obsessive stalking lowkey travels across the internet:
- Maggie Stiefvater reveals the cover for her new book All The Crooked Saints! I took a bit to warm up to it…but I’m liking it better now! (But I mean, what CAN compare to The Raven Cycle.) I’M SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK, PEOPLES, I MAY SHOUT.
- This news just in: Becky Albertalli and Angie Thomas are adorable and have deep standards about oreos.
- Maggie Stiefvater (shh I love her ok) talks about what it’s like to be an author at a book signing.
- TAHEREH MAFI IS HAVING A BABY!! I’m just excited because if two authors have a baby does this mean the baby will be a book???
- A Series of Unfortunate Events has been renewed for Season 2 on Netflix! Thank goodness. THIS IS MY LIFE.
- Colton Haynes is going to be in the Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda movie! I know him from Teen Wolf so there’s a 500% chance Simon is going to get bitten by a werewolf now.
- The Aussie book Zac & Mia is going to be a movie! Look: actors.
- This article says a “super reader” will consume 80 books a year. HAHHAHA HAHAHAHHAH HAHAHHHAAHAHA.
- Here is a hilarious and PAINFULLY ACCURATE skit on how the world treats artists.
- News on the Dumplin movie! Which I had…no idea existed till now.
- A fantastic article on what a General Anxiety Disorder feels like.
- A publisher tweeted my bookstagram photo and RACHEL CAINE LOVES ME.
- Molly @ Molly’s Book Nook has 5 tips that help your bookworm life! SO HELPFUL.
- Daley @ The Invisible Moth talks about how to really understand Autism.
- Putput @ Sparking Letters talks about figuring out your blogging schedule!
- Chiara @ Delicate Eternity lists some things YA books need more of. Soooo agree.
- Shar @ Virtually Read talks about book hangovers!
- Rain @ Ivyclad Ideas talks about how writers don’t owe us anything.
- I had another smol tweet become not so smol and I’m proud.
- I’ve been the outlining QUEEN this month. I finished off another outline for my adult epic fantasy series (there’s like 4 books and I regret everything) at 26,000-words. Yes. The outline alone is a small book. Let’s not talk about how long the actual book will be. I DON’T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT. Again with the pinterest. And I’m already out outlining the 5th and I hate myself.
- And YES I write and outline things that I don’t think have potential to be published particularly. I just do it for fun! Because the more you write = the better you get. So heck if I want to write a 5+ book adult epic fantasy series about two princes who are working their way across the continents robbing everyone, doing magic, being sassmasters, and generally failing at life — THEN I WILL. I don’t mind if it just stays on my laptop for eternity.
- I don’t know when I’ll get around to writing these. But the outlines are #neato.
- But in other writing project news…
- Here’s some of the nonsense that’s been happening in my project for April. I write completely sensible outlines.
- You know how I said I’d edit in March? HAHHAHAHAHHAHHHAHA.
- Yeah no.
- And apart form being absolutely ON FIRE with the writing-side-of-things…the rest of the month has been akin to a dead zucchini. Ughhhhhh. Basically stress and crises at every corner. Pls be over March.
- I also started watching Into The Badlands! I saw someone mention it on Twitter and thought “I shalt check that out”. And this is WEIRD because I (a) never watch shows because I’m too busy reading/writing/stabbing paper, and (b) I have like 94 shows on my to-watch list already without adding another… AND YET I STARTED IT. Season 1 only has six episodes so it’s not too much life commitment. AND IT’S SO FREAKING GOOD I CAN’T EVEN. It’s a badass dystopian story with swords and much blood. Basically 80% of the featuring characters are diverse (!!) with POC leads (!!) and on top of that it has epic clothes including this coat.
- I ran out of bookshelf space. Like…completely ran out. I know this is the bookworm’s endless sob story but WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOOOOOOOOOW???????
- My parental made a fake cheesecake and so I stole it for #bookstagram. Shh, she doesn’t know. And I object to calling it a “cheesecake” because it’s dairy-free and you just can’t fool me like that okay. It’s delicious but not a cheesecake.