This has totally NOT been my best week….BUT THERE ARE SILVER LININGS! I’ve read three 5-star books this month (!!) and received incredible book mail (!!) and that balances out the hate-attacks on some of my Goodreads reviews and the slew of sucky 2-star reads I’ve had. Seriously, this month has been three 5-stars and TEN 2/3-stars. Agh.
And I also have to admit defeat in a few areas. I KNOW. WHAT IS THIS?! YOUR GREAT OVERLORD IS ADMITTING DEFEAT. It’ll only ever happen once, so take a picture. I’ve been feeling quite stressed with blogging and I’m going to cut back how much I post. Not too drastically! But you know me! I blog 6 times a week with a slew of discussion and photography posts and it’s intense. I love it 100% but I also need time to read your blogs and I’ve found I’m doing less and less of that. I’m just mildly in love with getting comments and pageviews and having so much fun…but…it’s not fun if it’s stressful, right?!
Plus my writing life has gone through dragon fire this year. Which is depressing. And I can’t give details (I’m so sorry!! I know it’s annoying!!) but I’ve had a ton of setbacks and thought I was okay with it. But I ain’t. All the encouraging advice of “keep going!” and “every great writer faces rejection!” really sound hollow after a while. I don’t plan to dissolve into a miserable hermit hovel, BUT, let’s face it: blogging is writing. Sometimes I need to calm down a little. (There’s a reason I put “furious” in my blog title! I do everything SO FURIOUSLY and INTENSELY. It’s exhausting. Gosh.)
I used to be the person who never bought books ever…but, since freelancing for Boomerang Books in exchange for book vouchers, I get to ACTUALLY BUY STUFF. OH WOW. A WHOLE WORLD HAS OPENED FOR ME. I’m so happy! ‘SCUSE ME WHILE I FLAIL.
- THE TOURNAMENT AT GORLAN: Thank you Random Penguin House! THIS IS THE BOOK I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR. It’s the first in a new John Flanagan series about Halt and Crowley BEFORE they were old. Although I hoped it’d be about them becoming rangers?? But it’s more about Morgarath. ★★★
- THE RED PYRAMID (KANE CHRONICLES #1): My first utter Rick Riordan FAIL. I was so bored. ★★
- THE NEXT TOGETHER: Thanks to Walker Books for the surprise ARC! Although, Romance + time travel = unsure little Cait.
- EVERY WORD (EVERY #2): AHHH I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH. It’s an Australian Sherlock retelling and Mycroft is an adorable little train wreck and Rachel does roller derby. Respect x 10000.
- DANGEROUS LIES: Thank you Simon & Schuster! This’ll be my 4th Becca Fitzpatrick read and I have such an odd relationship with her books. I like them, buuuut…confused feelings. I’m keen for this killer thriller. (Har har, see, it rhymes? I’m an epic rhymer.)
- ZEROES: Thank you Allen & Unwin! A bit generic, but some super cool superpowers in there. ★★★
- A DANCE WITH DRAGONS (A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE #5): That awkward moment when 100-pages is like a BLIMP against the thousands. *dies* I still do love this series so so much.
- THE COPPER GAUNTLET (MAGISTERIUM #2): Thank you Random Penguin House! It’s starting to feel more and more like Harry Potter fanfic though, unfortunately. ★★★
- IN THE SKIN OF A MONSTER: Won this from Allen & Unwin. MUUUUURDER. I’m so down for this.
- THE GAME OF LOVE AND DEATH: Absolutely entirely 5-stars. I LOVED THIS. It’s like The Book Thief meets Code Name Verity and I’m not over pitching it. IT IS JUST THAT GOOD. ★★★★★
- MADE YOU UP: Ahh, another 5-stars, because this is the kind of book EVERYONE needs to read. It gives a really honest and open view of life with schizophrenia, too. ★★★★★
I have two books I’d like to write before 2015 is over and both are fantasies set in DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. YES. One will have African and Russian cultures, and the other book is Japanese (and DRAGONS WOOT) But do you know how horrific my library is on getting in Russian books?!? Absolutely abominable. I may have let loose a liiiiiittle tiny bit in my review of the Russian “Popcorn” book. At least the commenters found me mildly amusing. BUT STILL.
If anyone has any extraordinary recommendations of Russian/Japanese/African culture books — please help. I’d give you virtual cheesecake. Simple books are best though. My brain is a small pineapple.
…click covers to see them on goodreads…
AHH I AM SO EXCITED FOR THESE BOOKS! I finally figured out Edelweiss thanks to Bieke’s tutorial and basically the world has opened before me! Netgalley always rejects me, but look! Approvals! EDELWEISS YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND NOW. And YES two of them are Sherlock retellings. OMG YAY MURDER!
I still have a faint Instagram addiction (not even sorry) and this week I even got a little creative. LOOK. MAGIC HANDS. (Those are my sister’s hands by the way. I do not wear purple, not even ever. The second picture with a hand and a black shirt is so definitely ME. I am the lost Addams family child.)
- Helloooo, Supernatural fans! Here’s an interview about Season 11 and the possibility the Winchesters might wash their car for the first time in 10+ years.
- As always and forever, I think Maggie Stiefvater is FREAKING AWESOME and so eloquent and honest in this article on writing diversity.
- Artemis Fowl is being adapted for the screen! I really should read these sometime, shouldn’t I?
- The first trailer for The 5th Wave is out! I reeeeally need to read this. (Do I?!)
- Alliyah @ Risk To Write asks were are the POC characters in fiction.
- Meg @ Cuddlebuggery redesigned The Raven Cycle covers and OH WOW, I AM IN LOVE.
- Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales shared her first impression of me. AWWW.
- Bieke @ Istyria Book Blog did a tutorial on how to handle Edelweiss. SHE IS MY SAVIOUR. I have since been decided Edelweiss is my one true love and am eating copious eARCs.
- Emily @ Loony Literate has round #2 of Snazzy Snippets up! I’m so actually going to remember to JOIN IN this month.