Has this month been particularly exciting? Eh…
Well, I mean…I only finally ANNOUNCED MY BOOK DEAL, COMING OUT IN JUNE 2018 WHICH I HAVE SPENT THE LAST FOREVER MENTALLY EXPLODING ABOUT AND THAT WHEEZING OVEREXCITED PUDDLE IN THE CORNER IS JUST ME.
So obviously it’s been a chill month.
(HAHAH HAH HAHHAHA.)
I am not chill.
Anyway. Apart from that, October has also been exciting because:
- I finally read Turtles All the Way Down by John Green and it WAS FANTASTIC
- I ate chocolate-orange ice cream and wow, peoples, I just found the meaning of life
- I read SEVEN 5-star books and I’m kind of screaming???? When does that happen?? Who is this nice person. Is it me.
- I ANNOUNCED MY OWN FREAKING BOOK IS COMING OUT IN JUNE 2018. (Wow that is brand new information.)
- GODSGRAVE #2: I’m so freaking nervous to read this. Everyone keeps screaming in pain so it should be good??? But am I ready??
- BEFORE SHE IGNITES: Um I hauled this last month and FORGOT haha…excuse me I’ve lost my mind.
- LITTLE & LION: This was gorgeously diverse with POC, bipolar, and queer rep, buuuuut it was just a bit slow and I felt it used the bipolar character as the “inevitable ticking bomb to ruin everyone’s lives” which sucks. It’s a common trope. ★★★☆☆
- TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN: John Green can do no wrong and I’m a puddle of emotion on the floor. ★★★★★
- AUTOBOYOGRAPHY: This book is so sweet and painful I may CRY. Also all about writers!! New favourite. ★★★★★
- WILD BEAUTY: I’ve been looking forward to this book FOREVERRRR. Favourite author! Also came in the #Owlcrate box which 10/10 recommend. I also have a discount code of “FURY” to get 15% off if you are keen. (Be keen.)
- NIGHT OF CAKE AND PUPPETS: Super cute novella in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, but it’s about Mik and Zuzana’s first date. IT’S SO MAGICAL AND PRETTY. No joke the inside is insanely gorgeous. I’ve got photos of it on my instagram here. ★★★★☆
(Thanks to Scholastic, Hot Keys, Bloomsbury, Text Publishing, UQP Books, and Allen & Unwin!)
- THIS MORTAL COIL: I have legit never been so FREAKING BORED IN MY LIFE. It’s so predictable it’s actually hilarious…50% through and I’ve been reading it for like a week. #dies
- UNEARTHED: I adore Amie Kaufman so this should be fun! Aliens and stuff? I think.
- 36 QUESTIONS THAT CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT YOU: This sounds like the opposite of my thign buuuut we’ll try it?
- THE EMPRESS #2: I really loved The Diabolic so sequel time!! Blood and spaceships!!
- SHADOWBLACK #2: Look I didn’t love book one. I thought it was a bit tacky, but it WAS funny so I will still try the sequel.
- THE START OF ME AND YOU: It was legit nearly funny how boring this was. ★★☆☆☆
- THE BUILD-UP SEASON: I love this author and I love Aussie lit and it tackled super brutal/heavy topics…but you can’t excuse abuse because you’ve been abused. The protagonist was cruel.
(all covers link to goodreads)
Also I’ve really gotten into doing Stories this month…after like the last YEAR of being like: “I’m not doing Stories! What nonsense!” So yes. I’m laughing at me too. But follow me for quality content such as this:
Don’t forget to scroll/hover over the covers! They flip around and will show you a mini review and star-rating!
Also click on them to take you to my review. HOW FUN IS THIS. Spoiler: Very fun.
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “sould adults read fantasy books” —> absolutely not. They need to live in the REAL WORLD and have NO FUN. I mean do adults even read books?? I think they read taxes or something.
- “books where the vilain” —> my favourite books are WHERE THE VILLAIN too.
- “they said my story was rubbish” —> RUDE. There are two ways to deal with this and they are: (1) ignore and practise and achieve and conquer anyway, or (2) eat them.
- “what is book blog” —> for me it’s a blog where I pretend to talk about books but it’s just a thin veil for me talking about food all the time. (Cake is delicious fyi.)
- “strength and weaken of writing” —> probably for you…spelling. For me, being too amazing I guess is my weakness.
- “always have a book in tow” —> I tow my books too. I put them on little tugboats and tow them out to see with me.
- “they not agree witw other authors” —> HOW APPALLING TO THINK NOT EVERYONE AGREES. DISGUSTING. THE WORLD HAS FAIRLY ENDED.
- “totally relatable books” —> I read a cookbook once and wow. It was like meeting an old friend who I could also devour.
- “which type of people should read we were liars” —> not the truthers
- “disadvantage of reading a lot” —> You spend less time in reality so don’t have as much salty bitter resentment for how the world is a trash fire. Poor you.
- “too much time reading 26” —> It’s time to move onto 27 I agree.
- “is it weird that i kinda fangirl over random stuff” —> YEAH BECAUSE IT MEANS YOU’RE NOT DEAD INSIDE. HOW DARE YOU.
- “wat happens to celena sadothien at the end of throne of glass?” —> Hopefully no spin off books that’s for sure.
- “clash of kngs book review boring” —> YES.
- “what does the writing process look like” —> Oh just this.
- “what’s the next ya novel trends 2018” —> BOOKS ABOUT BOY PIANISTS…haha hahahahah hhaha. I’m sorry. #Reference #To #My #Own #Book #Yes #I #Fell #That #Low
- “flail of fury.movie” —> this is a documentary of my life I guess
- “bookstagram what is” —> It’s just a lot of photos of pretty books because we’re really sick of looking at photos of your kid and your food ok. We focus on the important things.
DID YOU KNOW I ACTUALLY HAVE AN ETSY STORE???
I only mention it like…never. But I’ve been rather slack with it lately so there is that. ANYWAY. Because you need something handmade with love and evil from me — definitely come check out my paper creations. I sell a lot of #Bookstagram props too!
Buy stuff! Support my world domination and my book buying habits.
A collection of bookish news I find in my
obsessive stalking lowkey travels across the internet:
- Tahereh Mafi’s new book Restore Me has a COVER and an EXCERPT where Kenji is cutting Warner’s hair and that’s all you needed in this life.
- Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli ARE CO-WRITING A BOOK AND I’M SO FREAKING EXCITED I CAN’T CONTAIN MYSELF. I even accidentally wrote Adam Albertalli, so there you go.
- Keirsten White is writing a Frankenstein retelling and I’m unreasonably excited.
- The cover for Allied, finale in the Ruined series, has been revealed!
- Sandhya Menon’s new book, From Twinkle With Love has a COVER and it’s so cute!!
- Adrienne Young is writing a VIKING novel and the cover is badass.
- Cover reveal for Julie Murphy’s sequel to Dumplin, and this one is called Puddin’.
- Sara Raasch announces her pirate novels and the COVER OK. THE COVERRRRR.
- VE Schwab shows off the collector’s edition of A Darker Shade of Magic and it’s freaking gorgeous. I want one. I may have to sell a kidney but whatever.
- Jason Reynolds talks about never reading books as a kid and why he’s now an author.
- Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner are writing MORE STARBOUND STORIES.
- The Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda movie has a NEW TITLE and also a cover! It’s called #LoveSimon.
- Also here’s a post about everything you need to know about the movie.
- My tweet made it onto Buzzfeed. Although they captioned the post “probably written at 3am” and I wrote mine at like 8am…which proves TIREDNESS IS ALWAYS. It’s not a phase mum.
- Here’s a GREAT article on what Hollywood gets wrong about Autistic characters.
- I guest-posted on Of Wonderland about why accurate mental health rep in books is so important!
- Julianna @ Blots Of Inks And Words wrote about why we should give authors more love!
- Shelumiel @ Epic Reads wrote about why the new title of Love Simon is important.
- AJ @ Read All The Things did a great post about not making assumptions.
- Rebeccah @ The Pixie Chronicles talks about misconceptions about NaNoWriMo!
- Daley @ The Invisible Moth talks about the autism representation in the new BBC drama, The Good Doctor.
- Lydia E. Winters has tips for newbie NaNoers!
- Annemieke @ A Dance With Books has advice for authors requesting reviews.
Anyway follow me on Twitter. I’m hilarious and humble.
I actually won’t be doing NaNoWriMo at the beginning of November this year.
I KNOW. It’s a huge change in tradition and it’s very much displeasing me. However I’m caught up with work/secret project, and they demand attention (#rude) so I will still do NaNo, but probably towards the middle or end of the month. This means you have a fantastic chance to beat me. Go for it.
“So what’s your NaNo project about, Cait?” you ask.
It’s called Saint No One and it’s about:
- a girl on a hit list
- a billionaire’s son who never walks because he dances everywhere
- a talent contest they accidentally end up partnering in after SHE KIDNAPS HIM
- so yes it’s a hATE TO LOVE story and I’m such a fan of that trope
- they’re wanted and hunted and it’s a contemporary but can I squeeze in some gunfire?
- coffee appreciation
- dyslexia and anxiety and depression
- a boy who cannot keep his sassy mouth shut and this lands him near death at least all the time
- epic feminism rants
murderNO NO IT’S A CONTEMPORARY IT’LL BE CHILL I’M SURE
- Also PINTEREST BOARD AESTHETICS
Anyway I’m VERY EXCITED to write and also VERY SAD it’s not happening immediately.
So for now it’s definitely NaNOOOOOWriMo. But we’ll figure it out.
- IF I SAY I HAVE A BOOK COMING OUT IN JUNE 2018 AGAIN YOU HAVE PERMISSION TO STRANGLE ME.
- guess what!
- Excuse me.
- Also I’d make a great Deadpool, don’t you think?
- I’ve written over a MILLION words this year. Including: 650,000-words of actual novels (6 novels actually) and 230,000-words of outlines (11 outlines, the biggest at 40K) and 233,000-words of rewritten novels (3 novels and every word was rewritten SO YEAH). Which makes a grand total of = 1,132,000. Unless I mathed wrong which is likely because I’m bad at maths. Anyway. OK Cait wow do you ever sleep.
- No sleep. Go for years without sleep.
- Due to still being without a good local library, I’ve been reading backlist books on my TBR! What madness is this???? So (a) I’ve had a lot of EXCELLENT reads because I bought books I’d like, #WILD, and (b) it’s weird that I’m reading MORE than I’m collecting. Who am I. I can’t be functional like this??? What if I run out of books.
- I have run out of bookshelves though.
- RIP me.
- I suggested my family move out so I have room for more shelves, but they’re not a fan.
- The saga of my hilarious texts with my sister continues:
- I’m so amusing. Also the latter text is referring to my own book, A Thousand Perfect Notes. SHE HASN’T READ IT YET EVEN THOUGH I KEEP OFFERING.
- DOES ANYONE WANT TO BUY MY SISTER. SHE’S A DISAPPOINTMENT.
- Speaking of my BOOK…(pause for you to strangle me) it is up on Goodreads and it’s stunningly surreal seeing people add it. I cannot get over that. It’s been added over a thousand times…and like, mate, it’s only been announced for like a week. #SCREAMING
- I don’t deserve you all, honestly. You’re lovely and your support actually makes a WORLD of difference.
- I have received my first 1-star Goodreads review which means I am a Real Author™ now.
- ALSO HEIDI HEILIG, AKA AMAZING AUTHOR, AKA ACTUAL REAL LIVE AUTHOR, COMMENTED THIS ON MY BOOK RELEASE TWEET:
- d e a d
- I admire her so much so this is like…I can’t. My brain is screaming. This news just in: I’m a melted puddle of a fangirl and chill is never never coming back.
- I finished my Goodreads goal of reading 200 books this year! Because somehow I still have no life.
- A lot of new shows are coming out on Netflix and I’m celebrating by watching 0%. I want to see Season 2 of Riverdale and Stranger Things but I feel guilty if I watch TV instead of reading??? I am strange. I’m so strange I’m Eleven’s older sibling.
- Also I’m REALLY behind on comments. I do absolutely appreciate all your support and love to show it back to you, but I’m just super busy currently. Yes it’s raining on my face too. I will catch up. PROMISE.
- I’ve been re-reading The Raven Cycle. For the 3rd time shh, I know I know. It’s a bit of comfort reading because this month has been intense, but also because I just freaking LOVE how Maggie Stiefvater puts words together. #Goals.
- I mean. Why have one raven boy when you can collect them all.