Despite not being an American, I decided to still join in today’s thankish prompt because…BEING THANKFUL IS A GOOD THING. And I’ve decided to be thankful for a million things, basically. Because when one has been blogging for 4 years there’s a lot of people and things to thank. So I’ll have ten sections and (attempt to have) ten things in each section!
There will be much blogger and books and instagram recommendations. And copious random photos from yours truly because I’m mildly addicted to photos of books, okay?!
Time to break out the squishy
cake pumpkin pie of thankfulness!
This Week’s Prompt: Thanksgiving themed Freebie
1. I’M IMMENSELY THANKFUL THAT THESE BOOKS EXIST:
I have read some ridiculously and entirely extraordinarily amazing books this year. AND I WISH TO SHRIEK ABOUT THEM. Because that’s who I am, basically. And if you haven’t planted your eyeballs into their pages yet — I assure you, you’re missing out.
2. AND THESE AUTHORS CONTINUALLY NEED THANKING FOR DECIDING TO BECOME WRITERS AND TORMENT THE UNIVERSE WITH THEIR GREATNESS:
Writers do so like to mangle feels. I’m sure they drink tears of the innocent in their morning coffees and have jam of suffering on their waffles. (But still. Their writing is forever excellent.)
Maggie Stiefvater (you knew that was coming) // Moira Young // George RR Martin (why is he on this list? he only damages us, but still…) // Derek Landy // Rick Riordan // Cassandra Clare // Holly Black // Jennifer Niven // Marissa Meyer // Rae Carson
Basically these are just some of my favourite authors.
3. THANK YOU TO MY TOP PAPER FURY COMMENTERS!
Because you know how sad and lonely this blog would be without you?! REALLY SAD. REALLY LONELY. Plus, I’m going to flail for a very long minute over these 10 commenters who comment on nearly every single post and…wow.
But I want to thank all my commenters. ALL OF YOU. YES EVEN YOU STARING AT MY BLOG RIGHT NOW. Because your comments mean a lot to me! And it’s definitely my goal to
shriek and fangirl talk sensibly with all of you.
4. AND LET ME THANK THESE NERDS WHO CONSTANTLY CHAT WITH ME ON TWITTER ABOUT ALL THE THINGS:
Taking a second to reply to my tweet or favourite, or retweet, means a lot to me. And I want to make sure you know it! THANK YOU.
(All of whom have fantastic twitter accounts and are generally nice beans and you should follow them.)
5. I’M ENTIRELY THANKFUL THESE INSTAGRAMMERS ARE SO ENTIRELY TALENTED.
I’m little bit of an instagram addict. Beautiful photos of books? Please shhhh everything and just sign me up. So here are just 10 of my most favourite accounts who constantly WOW me with their creative and beautiful photos. #goals
click on the photos to go see these instagramer’s accounts!
6. I’M GARGANTUANLY GRATEFUL THESE WEBSITES EXIST TO MAKE BLOGGING AS ENJOYABLE AS EATING GELATO
Gelato is good, okay? Particularly mint gelato with chocolate chips in it. (There is no reason gelato is on my brain…it just is.) These are the websites I haunt eternally and make my blogging what it is!
7. I ALSO ETERNALLY LOVE THESE PUBLISHERS / STORES AND HOW THEY BAKE BOOKS AND LET US EAT THEM.
If you don’t follow publishers on social media — DUDES, YOU ARE MISSING OUT! Most of them do giveaways quite frequently and post hilarious things.
- Allen & Unwin Teen on Facebook: if you’re an Aussie, go follow now. They basically give books away every week.
- Text Publishing on Twitter: they. are. hilarious.
- Boomerang Books Blog: Yes, I freelance for them, but I’m not being asked to blog about them on my private blog! I AM BECAUSE THEY’RE AWESOME. If you purchase from them you acquire points and eventually get free books (!!) plus the books are beautiful.
- Between the Covers on Twitter: They’re the Aussie YA department and so epic and nice.
- Epic Reads: Because DUH. And their blog keeps me up-to-date on all YA bookish things! Have you seen their #booknerdproblems youtube videos?! They give me life.
(This is also an accurate representation of what it’s like to buddy-read with me. I’m finished before you reach pg. 5. #sorrynotsorry)
8. BLOGS I’M THANKFUL FOR AND I SHALL READ THEM ENDLESSLY UNTIL THE APOCALYPSE HUZZAH.
I read a lot of blogs. Hundreds of blogs. And I could listen them all for you here but…as much as I know my blog is your life, there are probably other things you’d like to do today. SO! I’ll only list 10 of my top favourites and I highly think you should follow them.
- Loony Literate — Emily is hilarious and writes the best posts and her writing is AHHHH JUST FABULOUS.
- Nellie & Co — Amanda is so amazing! And knowledgable!! I get a ton of blogging tips from her.
- Hawwa Etc — Hawwa is a freakishly good artist. Her blog is the most aesthetically pleasing thing of my life.
- Musings from Neville’s Navel — Engie writes about…everything. I love the variety! Plus we fangirl intensely over Game of Thrones and Agent Carter together. Every conversation ends in Agent Carter, okay?
- It Starts At Midnight — SHANNON IS SO FUNNY. Her reviews are my favourite, because I feel like she’s genuinely chatting to me about a book.
- Chasing Faerytales — Mishma and Jillian write incredible discussions. Like the tough stuff, okay?! They do not mince words and I love their honesty!
- Happy Indulgence — I feel like I’ve been following Jeann forever! She recently got co-bloggers, who are also fabulous, and I love the discussions and reviews.
- The Devil Orders Take Out — Alyssa is a writing queen. And she makes up words like blookunity (book blogging community, start using it, folks) and basically is nefariously wonderful.
- The Quiet People — Beth speaks to me on a spiritual level because she is an introvert. Quiet people are the best! HUZZAH! Also her blogging voice = amazing to read.
- The Social Potato — Faye, Rashika, Aimee and Aentee are all amazing bloggers. And vloggers. And designers. GAWSH, PEOPLES. They’re freakishly talented. Their reviews are long and detailed and I get like 80% of my reading recommendations from them.
9. AND OF COURSE I’M THANKFUL FOR NON-BOOKISH THINGS.
Although the phrase “non-bookish” is pretty hard to say. Can you pronounce it easily? I cannot. I’m very extra sure that having 99% of your life revolving around books is completely okay. REGARDLESS. I’ll go ahead and be thankful for my cosy room, and my family, and my mother who’s there for me with my anxiety issues, and my adorable but evil little puppy (Atticus Bean) and my niece and nephew whom I’m converting into bookworms. OH AND I’M THANKFUL FOR FOOD.
10. AND I’M ENORMOUSLY PLEASED AND HAPPY AND THANKFUL I’VE LEARNED GRAND BLOGGING THINGS THIS YEAR.
Sometimes one can commit bulbously awkward blogging errors…so it’s a thankful relief to grow and get better at blogging right?! This year I’ve learned a lot about myself AND blogging. And I’m thankful for it. (And if I say “thankful” one more time in this post, please someone thankfully smack me with a pineapple frond. Omg.)
THINGS I’M THANKFUL FOR LEARNING:
- That it’s okay to not read all the books.
- That it’s okay not to get all the (or even any) ARCs.
- And hey, if Netgalley isn’t working for you, no pressure to skip ebooks and hit the library instead!
- If you’re drowning in blogging, it’s okay to take time off.
- Speaking of which: IT’S OKAY TO SUCK AT MULTI-TASKING!! If you need to go AWOL and write a book…do it. Don’t feel guilty.
- It’s okay to continually experiment with design and graphics and photography images. And mess up. Truly. The world won’t end.
- It’s also okay to let your blogging voice change as you do…and if you don’t use gifs in every post, your readers (probably) won’t die. I mean, they might. BUT I TAKE RISKS.
- Give up trying to find more bookshelf space. Moaning and gnashing teeth are acceptable alternatives.
- WHEN YOU HAVE AN IDEA WRITE IT DOWN STRAIGHT AWAY, GOSH DARNIT, CAIT. Keep learning this.
- You gotta quit this hardcover addiction. Cait. It’s KILLING YOU. But hardcovers, humans. Haaardcovers. They are the most precious of all the preciouses.