I’m BACK! DID YOU MISS ME?
(If the answer to that is “no” then…pfft. You’re lying to yourself.) (Alternately, if the answer is “were you even gone? I didn’t notice” then…do you hear that breaking sound? IT’S ONLY MY HEART.)
I took a mild hiatus to complete Camp NaNoWriMo (unofficially because I’m an antisocial writer) which turned out marvellously and I shall do a full post on it soon. Eventually. MAYBE.
I get nervous talking about my writing. Ergo this recap is notoriously late. But I have NEWS to share. Muchly news. And yes this post will be a little gargantuan mountain, but it’s organised neatly into sections so you can just skip to what amuses you.
Or read everything. Because, you know, YOU MISSED ME.
So I accidentally won 20 books?!? I KNOW. IT’S INSANE. I’M SO SO LUCKY. When one enters these kind of competitions, you don’t expect to WIN, right?!? In other news, I’m squashed and dying under my TBR but I’m not even sad.
The Novice ★★ // Read Me Like a Book // Bomb ★★// The Here and Now // Silence is Goldfish // Gallagher Girls #1 ★★★// Thunderwith // Anna Dressed in Blood // No Skink Surrender // The Dead House // The Naturals: Killer Instinct // A Song for Ella Grey // The Erth Dragons // Chasers // This Raging Light // The Walled City (so excited!!!) // Lying Out Loud // Rock War // The Kiss // The Blue Feather
I feel like I’m stacking a zillion books this week but a) I didn’t expect to win those 20 books in the first photo. I only buy 4 books a month with coupons from my freelance job…the rest of these just COME TO ME. Cue excitement. Cue terror. (Australian publishers are very generous omg.)
- THE HATERS: Surprise ARC from Allen & Unwin (thankyou) which I’m currently reading and am…hmm, hating? OOPS. It’s about music and I have NO idea what anyone is talking about with all their band stuffs.
- KILL THE BOYBAND: Surprise ARC from Pan Macmillan (thankyou!) and I can totally get behind that title.
- WHISPER TO ME: Surprise ARC from Bloomsbury! Apparently it’s about a GIRL and a BOY and a BROKEN HEART. #NeverSawThatComing
- THE RETRIBUTION OF MARA DYER (#3): I finally bought the last Mara book. Who’s nervous that everything is gonna DIE? Me.
- A GATHERING OF SHADOWS (#2): Oh just VE Schwab being perfect again and reducing me to feels and tears and FEELSY TEARS with her perfect stabby characters.★★★★★★★★★ (whoops, it seems to have a million stars…)
- LADY MIDNIGHT: Surprise review-copy from Simon & Schuster (!!!) LEMME SCREAM NOW. Cassandra Clare is life.
- MORNING STAR (#3): Review-copy from Hachette (thankyou!) and I’m too nervous to read it omg. Is everything I love going to die?????? Aka: SEVRO?????
- 5 TO 1: I bought this for the cover. #NoShame But it was TINY and I was a bit sad it lacked world building. Otherwise = glorious Indian based dystopian. ★★★
- UNHOOKED: I need ALL the Peter Pan retellings.
- SEE HOW THEY RUN: Surprise from Scholastic (!) Tragically boring after the last one. (WAIL) ★★
- FOLLOW ME BACK & BULLET CATCHER & DREAMING THE ENEMY: All surprises from Allen & Unwin (thankyou!)
- THIS SAVAGE SONG: Perfect book by perfect VE Schwab is PERFECT. Monsters and violins and stabby stabbing.★★★★★
- FRAYED: So the wonderful blogger and clearly genius writer Kara (WHO I KNOW ACTUALLY AND WHO IS AUSTRALIAN) has a book coming out in June! I’m so stoked that I got approved on Netgalley.
- IVORY AND BONE: Because I neeeeeeed more prehistoric YA in my life.
- RUINED: I was a huge fan of Amy Tintera’s Reboot zombie series back when I read it 93 years ago. So this? I’m EXCITED for this.
- STEELHEART: This is an audiobook from the library and I’m about 50% through and LOVE IT. David is such a dork. Such a nerdy adorable dork.
// click the photos to visit my Instagram account //
Only last month I was celebrating 4K? NOW I HAVE 5,600 FOLLOWERS?!? Hooooow. I honestly have no idea. Clearly everyone doesn’t realise I post 90% Maggie Stiefvater photos.
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
N U M B E R R E A D?
I honestly had THE WORST reading month though. Agh. Most books were 3 stars or lower…so here’s to hoping April will be better?
B E S T B O O KS?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
- Things Bookworms Never Want To Hear (Not Ever)
- Why Aren’t You Getting Comments on your Book Blog?
- Wherein I Am Fabulously Cantankerous And Have Opposite (Unpopular?) Opinions on Fictional People
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “i hate it when people argue blindly” — It’s much better if they have their eyes open, BUT! Please don’t discriminate against the sight impaired! They can argue quite fine and dandily too!
- “books like red queen” — Try every YA book ever, because Red Queen is literally the most unoriginal creature you will ever find.
- “22nd things to do before u be 22” — Grammar school, probably.
- “those fangirls over there” — I feel like you want to finish this thought? Those fangirls over there are…awesome? Fabulous? Mildly passionate the point of psychotic shrieking?
- “does everyone imagine their face” — I personally do not imagine my face. Sometimes I look in the mirror though to remember I am not a faceless blob.
- “how to have fangirls?” — possibly kidnap a small army of children, raise them up to be obsessed with fandoms and VOILA. You have homegrown fangirls.
- “how to attack friend in real life” — My post was specifically about attacking WITH FRIENDSHIP. Friendship, omg. But you can also attack your IRL friend by throwing waffles at them. Jammy waffles. It’s very very evil.
- “gally x teresa” — Um, now that is a Maze Runner ship I NEVER EVER EVER SAILED.
- “what is the theme of the sword of summer?” — When presented with falafel eat it fast, because a pigeon is coming for you.
- “why did chaol and celaena broke up” — BECAUSE THEY’RE STUPID LITTLE CHILDREN AND I AM STILL ANGRY ABOUT THIS, SO THANKS FOR GIVING ME A PAPER CUT AND POURING LEMON JUICE ON IT.
- “list of all type snake in the whole world hd image” — Whyyyy are you on my blog? Does this look like a HORROR BLOG TO YOU??? Go. A.W.A.Y.
- “is it ok for adults to read ya” — Yes. And if you are even remotely worried about it than a) you are hanging out with the wrong people, and b) why do you need permission anyway??? DO WHAT YOU WANT. BE LOKI.
- “why are triangles so popular” — Because it’s the shape of pizza so obviously it’s going to be popular.
- “something i’m good at: fansgirling” — Something you’re not good at: spelling.
And over in my Society6 store? I HAVE BEEN BUSY, HUMANS! HUZZAH! Also there is FREE SHIPPING this weekend. RIP your self control.
I have so. much. NEWS…be prepared for an enormous mountain of links! (But this is like an entire month’s worths so you’ll forgive me.)
A U T H O R S
- SO MAGGIE STIEFVATER JUST WROTE A TUMBLR POST THAT SAYS ADAM’S ENDING IS NOT EASY AND IS VERY EMOTIONAL AND PS. THANKS FOR GIVING ME ANXIETY.
- Okay this makes it a bit better…here is some music Maggie Stiefvater wrote for The Raven King.
- Also here’s a very adequate explanation to confirm my theory that Gansey is totally Glendower.
- Also you can listen to the first 2 chapters of The Raven King here. I’m crying, btw. #SaveGansey
- (Okay okay that’s ENOUGH Stiefvater news. Can we tell someone is obsessed?)
- Beverly Clearly is about to turn 100. Which is pretty amazing!
- Sara Raasch (author of Snow Like Ashes) has a new book deal which is pitched as “inspired by the Spanish Inquisition in the golden age of piracy” and SQUEEREUQQQR I NEED IT.
- AG Howard’s Phantom of the Opera retelling has a cover and it’s DIVINE.
- Kendare Blake’s new book Three Dark Crowns has a cover, but tbh, I’m crushing on the map.
- Laini Taylor’s new series Strange the Dreamer has covers! (Everything is getting covers this month???)
- DC Comics has contracted Sarah J Maas, Marie Lu, Leigh Bardugo and Mat de la Pena to write SUPERHERO YA NOVELS. I DON’T EVEN LIKE D.C. BUT EXCUSE ME WHILE WE SQUEEEE.
- Also Lauren Oliver is on the set of Before I Fall. Um….I probably should read this book, like, yesterday.
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- Lionsgate is making The Love That Split The World into a movie.
- 13 publishing houses fought for a debut author’s book The Hate U Give and the author signed a 6 figure deal. Um. Dreams come true I guess? I’m ADMIT to being concerned that this book will be famous because of content…instead of quality writing. (?? Feel free to share your thoughts on that in the comments !!)
- Speaking of which,
RueAmandla Stenberg is starring in the movie adaption which, yes, is already in works. (Can you see why I’m skeptical? No one’s even READ this book yet…)
- Production for the next Maze Runner movie has stopped because Dylan O’Brien has been injured. YES. SOMEONE HURT PRECIOUS STILES. (Ahem.) He reportedly got run over by a car…um, wait he fell off a train? Okay nobody knows. But the dude is down.
- But this is happier news! Here’s the cast of A Series of Unfortunate Events so far! I can’t believe I just said this unfortunate series was happier.
- Um…no one told me I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells IS A MOVIE AND IS NEARLY OUT?!??! Watch a clip!!
- Shadowhunters has been picked up for Season 2! I should…probably watch Season 1?
- I found this article on Feminism…which really IS NOT BOOKISH. But it’s an excellent article and underlines why I’m a feminist and rebuffs a lot of misconceptions, so just…GO READ IT, OKAY??
- And here are photos from the Miss Peregrein’s movie! Also the trailer…which, um, the plot looks nothing like the book basically.
Legit conversation of making #missperegrineshomeforpeculiarchildren movie:
“This book could make a great movie!”
“Should we read it?”
— Cait (@PaperFury) March 16, 2016
B L O G G E R S
- Shanti @ Virtually Read asks if your favourite books remain the same forever?
- Liz @ Out of Coffee Out of Mind discusses judging books by their covers and totally sums up my feelings on the topic. (YUS IT’S OKAY TO DO THIS.)
- Amanda @ Nellie And Co has ideas on how to make your book reviews more interesting! PLUS she has 5 pieces of advice every blogger should know.
- Mironiel @ Life of a Mirkwood Elf lists some wattpad stories you should read. SPOILER: ONE OF THEM IS MINE AJFDKSALDJK.
- Alyssa @ The Devil Orders Takeout asks if there can be too much diversity in a book? (And also lists types of diverse stories we need more of.)
- Emily @ Loony Literate asks if negative reviews are more convincing than positive ones?
- Rachel @ Quite the Novel Idea talks about reading multiple books at once. (MEEEE. I do this.)
- Val @ The Innocent Smiley asks if it’s okay to love a problematic book?
- Melissa @ In A Bookish World gives a small review of my Wattpad novel. CUE INTENSE SURREAL MOMENT OF HAPPINESS FOR ME.
- Abbie @ Abbiee’s Music Blog has a list of why internet friends are THE BEST. She’s not wrong.
— Cait (@PaperFury) March 27, 2016
- I hit 2000+ likes on my shelfie photo on instagram. UM. CUE. SCREAMS.
- Also I’m going to be in The Winner’s Kiss blog tour. I’M FAMOUS, BOB. (I’m totally not but shhh. Let me dream.) There’ll be a complete set of the trilogy to giveaway too, so. Keep thine eyes peeled for the 15th. (Although my review copy has been lost in the mail TWICE and I’m getting nervous…)
- Speaking of which, I’m just proudly going to say that I actually RE-READ the first two Winner’s Curse/Crime books. I never re-read. But this year I’ve reread 5 books. I blame it on Maraia, because she is a devious rereading influence. (FYI she is also the best.)
- Oh and Camp NaNo? I wrote 98,000 words in 5 days. MY NEW RECORD. But I’ll talk more about that in an upcoming post — with snippets. Be excite. Or don’t. Honestly, I’lll relax my evil overlord tendencies and actually let you choose your own emotion here. (DON’T SAY I DON’T DO ANYTHING NICE.) And here is a small snippet now because reasons:
- My Wattpad story The Dead Boy and the Paper Cut has only FOUR MORE CHAPTERS TO GO. I’m not even going to apologise for the trauma that is soon. Because I warned you. I warned you.
- Speaking of which — to all the kind KIND beans who give me feedback on TDBATPC (gawsh to that acronym) THANK YOU 1000%. Your niceness has given me life. Not Thomas though, unfortunately. But he’s been dead from chapter one, so c’mon. This was a comment on wattpad from a kind kind stranger and AFJDSKLAD AM I:
- Also: in order to catch up after my ignoring-of-the-blogging-world, I haven’t been visiting back blogs. I WILL START AGAIN NOW THO. But I just had to catch up on a back log of 200+ comments, so eeep, peoples. I need 9 more hands.
- This post is as long as a mammoth.
- I shall shush now.