It’s time to get both COLOURFUL and EMOTIONAL while I make up a book tag and splatter it over my blog.
Like the blogging professional I am. I have not blogged (nearly) 7 years for nothing without becoming an eloquent and intelligible blogger of words.
Ok now that the jokes are out of the way: I thought it’d be fun to list out the colours of the rainbow and the emotions that tend to be associated with them! Consider this an impromptu book tag too, so you’re welcome to steal the categories for your own blog! The toll is: cake for me and also your soul. Which is reasonable and fair I feel.
This is also a great time to get thoroughly emotional over books. So use your emotions today! If you have them! I have 3 and they are: going fast, lunch, and confusion. This is typical, I guess?? So anyway.
Top Ten Tuesday: Books With My Favourite Colour On the Cover (or In the Title) —> this is a bit of a stretch to fit the prompt but I AM LOKI. I CANNOT BE CONTAINED. And we’re working with colours here so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1. BLUE → BOOK THAT MADE YOU SAD.
You know what? I’m just going to go ahead and say All The Bright Places because it DEVASTATED ME. And it’s blue. So I’m winning here. Mind you I actually read this book in 2014 and I am like Gandalf squinting at those creepy mines saying: I HAVE NO MEMORY OF THIS PLACE. Same, Gandalf, same. I’d like to do a reread because why run face first into a brick wall once, when you can do it TWICE?!!?!?
2. RED → BOOKWORM PROBLEMS THAT MAKE YOU ANGRY.
Look some bookworm problems are actual TIDAL WAVES OF MONSTROSITY and it’s ok to stamp your foot a little and get red in the face. And I named myself paper FURY for a good reason, so here are some things that just rile me up:
- when bookmail arrives damaged = YOU HAD ONE JOB OK. ONE JOB.
- being denied everything on Netgalley/Edelweiss = my ratio is great, my blog is great, my ABILITY TO BE BATMAN is great! And yet all I get are denials…I’m getting kind of mad now, people. Who do I need to sacrifice.
- when the weather curls my books = I will take this up with humidity and I will shout
- stickers on book covers = this is nearly a hate-cliche BUT I HATE IT SO MUCH. I just got a copy of To Kill A Kingdom which is sooo exciting and there’s a frikkin sticker ruining the front cover.
- when the instagram algorithm sabotages me = i will stab you with a fork @ instagram. I will. It’s so depressing to work really hard + get a lot of followers…and then proceed to have no one see your work because the algorithm is a monster.
3. YELLOW → UPCOMING BOOK YOU’D BE HAPPY TO HAVE RIIIIGHT NOW.
Do I have plenty to read right now? Yes. Do I angstily earn for books that aren’t even close to being published? ALSO YES. Will I wait patiently?
What if the book fairy godmother just accidentally brought me these, hmm??? I would give my soul but LOL that ship has sailed, how do you think I got a book deal. *
* KIDDING! I got a book deal because no one’s realised I don’t understand grammar yet. We’re fine this is fine everything is going to be fine.
4. GREEN → FAVOURITE UNLIKELY FRIENDS.
This is one of my FAVOURITE tropes! But friends who you look at and are like: “How do they even work???” But they do because they’re wild contrasts somehow fit nicely together.
I’m nominating the Six of Crows gang for this one because none of them should work bUT THEY DO. And it’s beautiful and so pure. A basic summary:
Kaz: Now remember! What are we getting out of this heist?!
Inej: retribution to evil
Nina: waffles afterwards
Jesper: moneyyy and a good tiiiiiiiime
Wylan: [crying softly] friends
5. GREY → BOOK YOU ARE TOTALLY EMOTIONLESS ABOUT.
There are some books you strongly hate and some you strongly love. But the worst? The MEH books. I’m so indifferent, they could literally turn me into a frog and I’d be all
- Classics: Like basically all of them. I have put pretty much no effort into caring. Like apparently I should care that I haven’t read many…and yet no.
- Three Dark Crowns: I didn’t mind it but also I am looking in all my pockets for the interest to read more in the series and I ??? Empty.
- Divergent: I used to wildly love this (and wildly defend the finale) and then the movies appeared to make my wheeze-laugh so bad I took a 5 minute break in Insurgent, and I think it’s been 2 years now??? I just don’t caaaaare anymore.
6. PINK → BOOK ENDING (NO SPOILERS THOUGH!) THAT YOU LOOOOVE.
This post is just descending into LISTS within LISTS but since I see no downside, I’ll just keep at it.
- Chaos Walking = PERFECTION
- The Raven Cycle = It wasn’t what I predicted but still so so good?????
- The Mortal Instruments = aHHHHHHH THAT WAS JUST FANTASTIC.
- A Darker Shade of Magic = [wheezing after being stabbed in the feels] jUST THE BEST TRULY
7. PURPLE → BOOK YOU NEVER REALLY UNDERSTOOD??
I just don’t understand Andrew Smith’s books. I JUST DON’T. The crass humour, the weird metaphors, the mixture of realism and bizarreness?? I’m taking my sandwich elsewhere to eat with someone I understand.
Also A.S. King. My brain just crumbled to a dead end trying to figure out what the heck Still Life With Tornado even was.
And I don’t understand the love for Sarah J Maas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look at me feeling 0% bad.
8. WHITE → AUTHOR YOU’RE SCARED OF (THEY’RE SO MEAN TO THEIR CHARACTERS!)
OK some authors just need to be SENT BACK TO THEIR DARK BOX to sit for a while and they can come out when they choose to be nice to their characters. I just sghsigh shgihsg.
- VE Schwab = the meanest
- Patrick Ness = pure monster
- Sally Green = I’m never going to be ok
- Adam Silvera = he thrives on our suffering i’m sure of it
- Jay Kristoff = waits for you to say “thank you” while he stabs your heart
PS. In case it’s not obvious. I LOVE THESE AUTHORS SO MUCH. I’m just cosplaying a waterfall, this is nothing.
9. BLACK → BOOK YOU THINK IS POWERFUL AND INFLUENTIAL.
I definitely think The Hate U Give took the world by storm last year and was totally needful! And I think Cassandra Clare?! She writes so so much (!! that’s incredible in itself) and actually takes time to give tons of readers fantasy starring diverse characters. Seeing an autistic Shadowhunter really changed my world ok ajfdksald I have emotions about the Blackthorns.
10. ORANGE → PLAYFUL CHARACTERS WHO ARE JUST TOO ADORABLE.
As much as I love books full of stab and spice and explosions…I really really am a sucker for the soft™ sweet cinnamon children that books bless us with. Give me Hufflepuffs and give me adorable moments. And then stab ’em all. Keep it balanced.
But I’m going to say LARA JEAN because she is just so adorable. And also August from This Savage Song, who is the monster of your nightmares and so tender and smol. And because I’m Stiefvater trash … Noah! Who is just a smudge in the background, but somehow also one of the most important characters in the entire series?! BLESS NOAH.