It’s time for a friendly Q&A with someone you really really admire!!
Um, stop looking around confused…it’s me. I’m talking about me.
Oh hush. You love it when I answer questions…well at least I love it and that’s what’s important here. But anyway! I’ve been tagged for The Sunshine Blogger Award by Jen who is so lovely!
And despite having a darkly stabby aura with the books I read and write I totally still qualify as a sunshiney creature! For instance, I frequently wear yellow shirts! * And I adore shiny things, I’m literally a dragon/magpie/hybrid with how much I love shiny things.
So I’m practically a flaming fireball of sun flare in the sky.
I’m going to answer 15 random burning questions you never wanted to ask me! But you get to anyway! Fun!
Oh oh wait, just before we DO launch into this…I’m still travelling home from my holiday at my sister’s house to see her new smol son. Hence my blogging has been really slack this February and I’m mostly just screaming internally lately. But I’ll be home soon?!
* I said to my sister “LOOK AT ME BEING A HUFFLEPUFF IN YELLOW!” and she said I was a snake in Badger’s clothing so wow. Isn’t that nice. In unrelated news my sister is for sale.
1. OTHER THAN READING (AND BLOGGING) WHAT IS YOUR PASSION IN LIFE?
I mean, obviously I have interests away from books haha. Obviously! I like um…well see I’m passionate about…
OKAY FINE. LITERALLY EVERYTHING COMES BACK TO BOOKS. My truest passion in life is writing. But that’s books. And I also like running/exercise (wow way to smash the turtle bookworm stereotypes) but I also think about books while I run so???
Leave me here in my obsession.
2. IF YOU COULD GIVE SOMEONE A PIECE OF ADVICE BASED ON YOUR LIFE EXPERIENCE, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Let me hit you with some blogging themed advice! I mean, I’ll hit you softly though because I’m nice and sunshiney dangit.
- Write the blog you want to read. I’m serious! Kick the expectations of what you think “a true book blogger should be like” and just blog the things YOU enjoy reading. It’ll make the world of difference and stop you from eating the sun in frustration. 10/10 recommend.
- Totally ignore people who insult your blog. There is literally NO reason to read someone’s blog if you don’t like it, so they are always just trolls. Beat them back with your witch’s broom.
- Make your blog look pretty. It’s part of the quality of your content!
- Please please have a navigable home page. If I enter your blog and can’t find your most recent post on 0.2 seconds? WE HAVE A PROBLEM.
- Talk to people! This is fully just how I grew my audience: interesting content + I talk to everyone who talks to me! It’s okay if you can’t visit-back-blogs, but that will affect how your blog grows. I’m so much for making blogging a friendly discussion and there’s not much point if we’re not connecting on each other’s blogs right?! (That saying I am behind hahah but I will catch up when I have consistent internet at home!)
- Is it worth it for writers to be bloggers?! YES. Infiltrate your audience. Get a behind-the-scenes view on what readers want. Make them all love you. When your book comes out, they will desperately buy it to see what havoc you can wreak in 300+ pages. Slowly fill their houses with your books. INFILTRATE. TAKE OVER. CONQUER. Haha…not that I would do any of these…
I really want to say “MY CHARACTERS!” but there is a 500% chance they’d kill me after all I put them through.
So can I just pick Sean Kendrick and Puck O’Connolley from The Scorpio Races. I seriously could handle living on Thisby and playing with the murder horses and eating November cakes and probably falling off a cliff because I’m disorganised like that. But windy dusky cold Irish aesthetic — TAKE ME.
4. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO EAT AND YOUR FAVOURITE MEAL?
I honestly choose home! I find eating out very stressful thanks to social anxiety coupled with I hate surprise and unknown meals and have a lot of allergy restrictions. So like, just leave me in my Hobbit hole thanks. (Although I do so love chips so there’s that.)
I’M ALSO FOND OF CAKE. Surprise.
5. MARMITE: LOVE IT OR HATE IT?
I haven’t had it in like..??? WOW MAYBE 10 YEARS?!? Technically it has gluten in it which I’m not supposed to have, haha, but back IN THE DAY I did love it! It’s actually sweeter than Vegemite and I prefer it to Vegemite and–
Okay wow, I just lost my rights to be Australian I guess.
(I still do like Vegemite though?! If I could eat it…)
6. WHAT FICTIONAL WORLD WOULD YOU LIKE TO VISIT?
- THISBY from The Scorpio Races as we’ve covered
- Also heck yes leave me in HENRIETTA too just for the Raven Boys because goodness knows America doesn’t appeal
- Also RED LONDON with Kell because yes.
- And I kind of want to visit the fey world from The Cruel Prince even though I MIGHT DIE but I also want to have a sword and shout at belligerent faerie boys with Jude so.
- LAZLO STRANGE’S LIBRARY. What else is there to say.
7. WHAT REAL PLACE WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO VISIT?
- London! The real one instead of the Red one because I’m actually being published there so like?! I feel visiting would be nice.
- Paris! I’ve always been obsessed with Paris for no logical reason. Croissants maybe?
- So basically…Europe. Except I hate travelling so who is even writing the answer to this question.
8. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE QUOTE?
Is it just me or is remembering favourite quotes REALLY HARD?! I’m going to be cliche and pick the one from The Deathly Hallows:
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Because it meant SO MUCH to me when I read it…maybe it’s not intended to be about mental illness or just your own imagination — but it was for me. If it’s happening to you, then it’s real. No matter how other people might try to invalidate you.
9. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE TV SERIES OF ALL TIME?
- Stranger Things! It’s SO GOOD. And stressful wow.
- The Good Place! It’s so DUMB but yet I love it.
- Psych. Seriously this show is amazing and also dumb but great.
- Leverage. Clever heists!
- Supernatural…it used to be the top of the list but hello they RUINED it. I haven’t even finished S12 (and I haven’t gathered the willpower to see Wayward Sisters because I hate Claire, haha…oops.)
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine! omg it’s so dumb and funny…also I’m seeing a pattern in the shows I watch.
10. WHAT BOOK WOULD YOU RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE AND WHY?
I don’t believe one book fits all. I just can’t. Humans are so different and their needs are different and it’s like assuming everyone needs cake to survive?!? They clearly don’t. Some people can live on pancakes instead and I respect that.
So instead I’m going to list some TYPES of books I think everyone should read.
- #OwnVoices stories: Peoples…just do it. You can find some in any genre you like, just FIND SOME. Read it. Understand what it’s like from the perspective of someone who’s lived it.
- Specific diverse stories: Like this goes with above, but also non-ownvoices authors still write amazing and unmissable tomes you should devour! But you should be reading books that change your world-view. And shake up your perspective. And make you THINK. Read about disabilities and OCD and autism and asexuality. Read about PTSD and being biracial and #BlackLivesMatter and f/f or m/m relationships or nonbinary protagonists or about immirgants. If you don’t understand a type of people: read stories about them. LIKE I JUST CAN’T STRESS THIS ENOUGH. GO WALK IN THEIR SHOES.
- Something out of your comfortable genre. Hey this is important too! As much as I’m all for reading whatever you want, occasionally read a memoir okay? Or read a poetry book. Or read sci-fi or contemporary YA or whatever it is you don’t often read. Sometimes you get surprised by a delicious gem.
11. WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST FEAR?
- THAT I WON’T BE ABLE TO READ ALL THE BOOKS IN THE WORLD BEFORE I DIE.
- That I won’t write another good book. (THIS ONE IS LEGIT…it always comes after I finish writing something. I know it’s ridiculously untrue, but I think most writers get scared with this one.)
- That someone will read my blog archives ah ahhahaa. * Oh help.
* Don’t you dare. Get your beady eyeballs back here.
12. WHICH OPTION WOULD YOU PICK BETWEEN: HAVING A GOOD STABLE JOB WITH GOOD PAY OR DOING SOMETHING YOU LOVE FOR VERY LITTLE MONEY?
I already do something I love for very little money so let’s go with that, shall we?!
13. WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST STRUGGLE WTIH YOUR BLOG?
This year it’s been…the actual…blogging part. Look I know the year is young! But it’s terrifying that I’ve either had no idea what to post OR had no time?! Like what is this, you fiendish brain. Blogging has been a life staple of mine for 6+ years — I am a mere refried bean with out it.
Anyway, I will fix this come March.
14. WHAT QUALITIES DO YOU ADMIRE MOST IN PEOPLE AND WHY?
- People who actually buy a book and then IMMEDIATELY read it. I think that’s called black magic though.
- Writers who are really confident like wow.
- People who are driven and achieve things and don’t blame other people for their mistakes.
- People who value treating others NICELY.
- Anyone who has the perfect gif for the perfect moment.
- I admire, most of all, that quality some people posses in preordering my book. Like wow, those are the people who will change the world.
15. WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS FOR 2018?
I’m sorry about all the lists within lists today (BUT AM I REALLY SORRY?!) but here have one last one:
- I want to write a novel I’m REALLY proud of and I haven’t achieved that since September last year so RIP my confidence but I’m going to do it?!?
- I want to still manage to read 200 books even though it’s been haaaard this year. (First time ever I was actually behind on my Goodreads goal for a while. WHO AM I.)
- I want to NOT freak out when A Thousand Perfect Notes comes out in June. Hah hah hahahaah.
Wow I really have no goals for this year which seems un-Slytherin of me?! I guess write 400 million books and become famous for them is taking up all my thinking space. Ah.