In honour of my 6th blogversary I said “ask me anything” and threw cake at you.
As I do. Because that’s how you celebrate blogversaries here in Australia. Ask anyone and they will confirm. Also my blogversary was actually May 27th but I moved house (#rude) on that exact day. Then had no WiFi for two weeks (#ruder).
I actually thought I wouldn’t get many questions because HI I’VE BEEN BLOGGING FOR 6 YEARS DON’T YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT ME NOW?? Aren’t I a little boring? Wouldn’t it be more interesting to converse with a rabid hedgehog? *
Apparently not. You all asked me 200+ questions! And I’m absolutely honoured and I very much like your face and appreciate your support TO THE MOON AND BACK. TWICE. You warm my dead Vulcan heart.
I narrowed it down to 163 questions **, and I’m going to answer them in TWO POSTS *** because so many questions, my fiends, so many. And I’m also having an international giveaway because I turned old. And I will forgive you if you don’t read these whole posts. It’s intense around here, very intense. GOOD LUCK.
I solemnly swear
I am up to no good that I’ll answer with pure honesty and seriousness and you will have no reason to doubt me ever. ****
* Although to be real, I am kind of like a rabid hedgehog.
** Aka at least 985938 of you wanted to know my favourite cake. Important question. I approve.
*** I feel like I’ma Vogue interview here or whatever, but isntead of you following me around my house, I get to hit you in the face with gifs while I go walk into a wall.
1. IS VIRTUALLY READ THE BEST BOOK BLOG EVER?
Excuse you, that title of best blog ever is obviously mine.
2. WHAT CHANGES CAN YOU FORESEE HAPPENING TO PAPER FURY?
Ugh I’m allergic to change. I avoid it at all costs. I generally hide in my book igloo and bite the ankles of anyone who suggests I change something so be ye warned. However. My blog is constantly growing with me so — BUT YET. WHO KNOWS. I feel like if I ever become a published author I maaaaay have to change things? Like not review books for instance.
And I’d like to introduce a feature so that when anyone types the word “Cait,” it automatically autocorrects to “your majesty”.
3. WHAT’S THE WORST THING YOU’VE EVER DONE TO A CHARACTER?
DON’T ASK ME TO INCRIMINATE MYSELF LIKE THIS.
I have this fantasy series, see, called Glass Monsters and it’s about two con artists brothers robbing an entire continent with wizardry and sass and confidence tricks. I actually got to the point where I’d done so so so many bad things to them that I couldn’t think of a way to make it worse.
Challenge accepted though. I did.
I had someone have all their insides carved out and replaced with a dark wizard’s. That was gnarly.
4. WHAT’S ONE THING YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR NEW HOUSE?
I have a studio room! It’s actually ginormous. I can fit a new bookshelf in and still have room on my floor for (A) taking #bookstagram photos, and (B) judging the souls of the damned as is one of my part time jobs on Wednesdays.
5. WHAT COLOUR ARE YOUR EYES?
Light brown. Or, if I was the star of a YA novel — MELTED CARAMEL WITH FLECKS SUNBEAMS BECAUSE MY EYES ARE ACTUALLY LASERS AND WILL TAKE OUT THE INFIDELS.
6. WHAT WORDS CAN’T YOU SPELL?
Nearly all of them. “Phenomenal” gets me every time. Also “Daenerys Targaryen” BUT WHO CAN SPELL THAT???
7. WHAT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU’VE LEARNED FROM A BOOK?
You can never never never know everything about a person from looking at them. Everyone is far more complex than that.
I also learned I want a coat that turns inside out to be another coat and that I should’ve had red hair and one completely black eye and lived in London and frowned a lot and — okay fine I should’ve been Kell.
8. HOW WOULD YOU COMPARE YOUR FIRST YEAR AS A BLOGGER TO NOW?
ME, A NEWBIE BLOGGER:
- 5 followers
- most of them related to me
- book reviews were 3 sentences
- all 12 page stats came from Russia
- sometimes mistaken for a boiled egg
- confused at all times
ME, AN ANCIENT 6 YEAR OLD BLOGGER:
- 50,000 followers combined over all social medias / blog
- probably some related to me still (ARE YOU MY LONG LOST COUSIN????)
- is personally asked by people to review and promote stuff which is woah
- someone pls tell me to shut up, my posts are like 1,500+ words at least
- often resembles a boiled pineapple
- eats enemies
- still confused at all times
9. WHICH GENRE DO YOU LIKE THE LEAST?
Thriller. I’m never thrilled, eh.
10. WHAT ARE SOME CHEAP BOOK PROPS BLOGGERS CAN USE TO MAKE THEIR PHOTOS LOOK NICER?
Origami is free if you have paper and two hands. If you don’t have two hands, it gets slightly more expensive because you’ll have to murder your neighbour and use their hands and tell you the clean up and lawyer bills are a pain.
- old book pages or atlases or sheet music
- food that you were going to eat anyway
- kitchen knives if you want to scare people
- fake flowers from a cheap store
- hand-drawn art
- the gold you inherited from your long lost dead uncle
- other books
11. BOOK PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS?
12. IF YOUR BLOG WAS A CAKE, WHAT WOULD IT TASTE LIKE?
Rainbows and chocolate and a surprising crunch of eggshells and electronics because I’m slightly evil and also bad at cooking.
13. WHAT BOOKISH WORLD DO YOU WISH WE LIVED IN?
LAZLO STRANGE’S LIBRARY.
14. IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE JUST ONE SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
INSTAGRAM. It’s so pretty and still fairly positive (twitter scares me these days) and I can post 39820 photos of The Raven King who is freaking gorgeous.
15. HOW DO YOU OUTLINE YOUR NOVELS?
- I write the full book in my head first.
- If I can locate my head.
- Then I write a detailed synopsis, basically outlining every single scene like you would if you were recapping a book blurb.
- I write pithy jokes to myself, mostly mocking my poor life choices.
- Black magic.
- Dark tea.
- A blood moon.
- TWO BUCKETS OF WISHFUL THINKING.
16. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING OF WRITING NEXT?
Either the first in my Glass Monsters series. (Thieves, con artists, magic, mayhem, blood, sass.) Or a sequel to my Goldilocks retelling. (Lost boys and sharp girls, also blood and broken lighthouses and brothers.)
17. HOW MANY BOOKS DID YOU ACTUALLY BRING TO THE NEW FLAT?
Also, no, my parents do not like me and my boxes anymore.
18. IF A LIBRARY WAS BURNING AND YOU COULD ONLY SAVE 3 BOOKS, WHICH WOULD THEY BE?
I’m a callous monster and I would just get new books elsewhere. So….none.
19. WHICH BOOK WAS YOUR ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE TO WRITE?
Except I do have a small spot of favouritism for my Phantom of the Opera retelling that I wrote in February. It’s so ridiculously sassy and my ballet boys are pure cinnamon scrolls. One is also dead. Love that.
20. ARE YOU THE KIND OF #BOOKDRAGON THAT BREATHES FIRE OR ICE?
21. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN JEALOUS/ENVIOUS OF SOMEONE ELSE’S BLOG? HOW DID YOU MANAGE YOUR EMOTIONS?
ALL THE TIME WHEN I STARTED. These days I’m often slightly envious of gorgeous talented artists and graphic designers, because PRETTY. Or blogs who have been alive for a month and have a thousand followers. (WITCHCRAFT.) But otherwise I’m entirely a moose and love what I do.
Managing envious emotions? Step #1: WHINGE. Step #2: Work hard to make yourself the kind of blog you can be proud of.
22. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED WITH YOUR WRITING AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO RISE FROM IT?
I haven’t been disappointed in my writing for nearly a year! IF I JUST JINXED IT I WILL LITERALLY MURDER SOMEONE (me) WITH A SPORK. Nevertheless = I think time fixed it. The more you write, the better you get.
23. IF YOU COULD BRING ONE CHARACTER TO LIFE, WHO WOULD YOU PICK?
Kell from A Darker Shade Of Magic. Then I could hit him on the head and steal his coat.
24. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE TYPE OF CAKE?
CHOCOLATE BROWNIE CHEESECAKE, BLESS YOU.
25. WOULD YOU RATHER READ ALL THE BOOKS ON YOUR TBR OR RULE THE WORLD AND NEVER FINISH?
26. BROWNIES OR CUPCAKES?
27. WHICH BOOK CHARACTER DO YOU MOST RELATE TO?
- Cath from Fangirl
- AIDAN from Illuminae (LOOK, HE JUST WAS TRYING TO BE HELPFUL AND IT WENT WRONG)
- Ty from Lady Midnight
- Frances from Radio Silence
- Kell from A Darker Shade of Magic (SO MUCH FROWNING)
28. I WAS GOING TO ASK WHAT YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK WAS…BUT I DON’T WANT TO BE THAT CRUEL.
You have my respect.
29. CHOCOLATE CAKE OR CARROT CAKE?
WhY ARE YOU PUTTING VEGETABLES IN CAKE.
THAT IS ILLEGAL IN 9 PLANETS.
GO SIT DOWN AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST ASKED ME.
30. TEA OR COFFEE?
Tea, if it’s chai or dandelion!
31. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE AUSSIE FOOD?
I don’t even eat anything quintessentially Australian! I’m a despicable blight on my country. But you try being gluten/sugar/grain free.
I do like lamingtons though. I like Vegemite but I can’t eat it.
32. IS IT ACCEPTABLE TO PUT SPAGHETTI ON PIZZA?
33. TIPS FOR GROWING YOUR BOOK BLOG? (ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON’T HAVE TIME TO BLOG OFTEN?)
Unfortunately I think blogging often IS the best way to grow your blog. At least be consistent even if you post sparodically so people realise you are a delightfully ugly little barnacle that can’t be shaken.
34. WHAT BOOKS COMING OUT ARE YOU EXCITED FOR?
I wrote a WHOLE POST on it too.
35. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE TYPE OF DRAGON?
A book dragon.
36. IS PINEAPPLE AN ACCEPTABLE TOPPING FOR A PIZZA?
OF COURSE IT IS.
Also FYI, my pineapple obsession is a direct reference to Psych. #FunFactsWithPaperFury
37. ANY ADVICE FOR OTHER BOOK DRAGONS WHO ARE MOVING HOUSE?
Don’t do it.
At least pack your books into small boxes for easier lifting and ignore the 3898 comments you’ll get from family, removalists, and local poisonous reptiles who say “WHY DO YOU NEED SO MANY BOOKS”.
Do not bludgeon them to death. They are just uneducated and you can’t get ARCs in prison. Be strong.
38. IF BOOKS SUDDENLY BECAME ILLEGAL, WOULD YOU (A) BECOME A BOOK SMUGGLER, (B) BECOME A SECRET BOOK VIGILANTE, OR (C) BECOME THE SECRET SUPPORTIVE SIDEKICK OF A SECRET BOOK SMUGGLING VIGILANTE WHO RANDOMLY DIES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BOOK, OR (D) RAISE YOUR BOOKWYRM ARMY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD?
Definitely (D), but I like the idea of being a secret book vigilante?!?? Can I have a cape? And a mask? And be BatBookMan?
39. IF YOU HAD TO LIVE WITH JUST CAKE OR BOOKS, WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
I think you’re just asking me these things to see if I’ll cry.
40. IF YOU HAD TO PICK FIVE BOOKS TO READ FOREVER, WHAT WOULD THEY BE?
41. IS HAVING A SELF HOSTED BLOG IMPORTANT?
It makes me feel professional, to be honest, and I need all the help I can get in that area.
Will it make you a better or more successful blogger? Hmm, no. Are you serious about blogging? Yes? Then consider it!
42. WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER WRITING A BOOK ABOUT A BOY WHO LIVES IN A VOLCANO?
This is so oddly specific and now, because of you, I SHALL CONSIDER IT.
But may I blow him up in the volcano?
VOTE = Yes / Yes
43. WHAT WAS THE FIRST BOOK YOU WROTE THAT YOU STILL HAVE?
My first fully complete novel (about a lost prince who can tell the future…super original I know) is SOMEWHERE deep on my harddrive. I think. I hope. Omg thanks so much for giving me this crisis, I need to go check now.
43. WHAT BOOKS DO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU DON’T TALK ENOUGH ABOUT?
These books are completely spectacular and underrated. And I’m SO SORRY FOR NOT GIVING THEM THE LOVE THEY DESERVE.
44. WHAT’S ONE BOOK ON YOUR SHELVES THAT YOU WILL PROBABLY NEVER READ?
I want to read them all! That’s why I own them! However I do own Masquerade by Melissa De La Cruz (I was given it) and considering it it’s a sequel and I don’t own the first book and I DO NOT LIKE VAMPIRES…probably no.
45. IS YOUR LOVE FOR CAKE INHERITED OR LEARNT?
Well my MOTHER subjected me to cake as a small impressionable child in the first place, so it’s all her fault.
46. WHAT KIND OF MAGIC DO YOU PRACTISE?
47. WHAT’S THE CRAZIEST THING YOU’VE EVER DONE?
As a child, I ate vegemite on an orange once.
I don’t know why.
48. IF YOU COULD CHOOSE A VILLAIN FROM A BOOK TO BE FRIENDS WITH, WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
Holland. <3 HE’S MISUNDERSTOOD.
49. HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO FIGURING OUT THE SECRET TO IMMORTALITY?
I am this close.
50. WHAT IS YOUR MOST FAVOURITE BOOK EVER?
DO YOU HATE ME.
51. WHAT WILL YOUR FIRST OFFICIAL DECREE BE AS A SUPREME RULER OF THE UNIVERSE?
THE NEXT PERSON TO PUT A STICKER ON A BOOK COVER GETS INCINERATED BY THE FIRE OF A THOUSAND SUNS.
52. IS THIS THE FIRST TIME YOU’VE MOVED HOUSE?
Oh no. Noooooo. NO, UNFORTUNATELY, NO. I move about every 6 years for my dad’s work. PS. I hate moving.
53. WHAT DO YOU WATCH WHEN YOU NEED A GOOD LAUGH?
Psych is so freakishly hilarious I suggest you abandon that cupcake you’re eating and go watch it immediately.
54. WHAT ARE 5 THINGS THAT KEEP YOU GROUNDED WHEN YOU’RE STRUGGLING WITH ANXIETY?
This is an excellent question but I feel the WORST PERSON EVER to try and answer it because I’m not at the end of my anxiousness looking back with reflective wisdom. I’m more like in the middle. Perpetually. But I SHALL TRY:
- I distract myself — particularly with Netflix if panic attacks are too bad.
- I tell myself as bad as I feel, it will TRULY TRULY TRULY not always be this bad.
- I exercise. Moving forward physically helps when you’re stuck mentally.
- I hug my bookshelf. Or climb it. True, sir.
- Most of my favourite authors mention on twitter that they have anxiety too. THEY CAN WORK WITH IT. SO CAN I.
55. WHY AREN’T DRAGONS REAL?
Excuse you, have you met me. I’M VERY REAL.
56. HAS YOUR FAMILY READ ANY OF YOUR WORK?
Yes, and it’s TERRIFYING. It’s easier to query literary agents than let your mother read your book, I swear.
57. ARE YOU WILLING TO LET CAKE TAKE THE CREDIT AFTER YOU FINALLY DOMINATE THE WORLD?
58. HOW DO YOU PHYSICALLY LIVE WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY POUNDING OUT BOOKS IN ONE WEEK, TWEETING, INSTAGRAMMING, BLOGGING, DESIGNING, ETC? ARE YOU SUPERHUMAN?
I consume this thing called oxygen quite voraciously. Also brownies. I did NaNoWriMo basically on brownie alone since my family was away and I had a house to myself and why would you vegetable when you can cake.
AND ALSO BIG SPOILER: I DON’T DO ALL THESE THINGS AT THE SAME TIME! I multitask about as well as a dead frog. When I write, I binge-write and don’t edit/blog. I schedule posts. I don’t really have a social life (or a…life) and I work from home so I don’t have to travel. Also I’m FAST. I live on speed 504 when you’re supposed to be in a 60 zone.
59. CHOOSE A FAVOURITE CHARACTER YOU’VE EVER WRITTEN?
Perhaps, currently, Toulouse from my Phantom retelling. (Of which I have more amusing snippets here.)
60. DO YOU KEEP ALL YOUR STORY IDEAS/OUTLINES IN ONE SCRIVENER FILE?
I DO. Backed up in two different hard-drives. But now I feel like this is a slightly bad idea…excuse me while I go make some different files.
61. WERE YOU STILL TECHNICALLY IN SCHOOL WHEN YOU STARTED BLOGGING?
Yes! I was 16…or 17. I don’t even know, dude, but I was something.
62. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE ON WRITING SUBPLOTS INTO A STORY?
I haven’t got a clue how to write a book. Everything I do is LUCK and kind of like trying to eat spaghetti with a blindfold and a knife.
A good tip that I’m making up just now, however, is: make your character have smaller goals. Like Gansey from The Raven Boys wants to find a dead Welsh King, but he has subplots like (a) keeping his BFF Ronan from burning down the world, (b) managing (or not managing) severe anxiety, and (c) try not to fall in love with a girl who’ll kill him if she kisses him. #SUBPLOTS
63. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE ON NAGGING BIG SISTERS?
Oh yes. I have 3 of them. Although they don’t truly nag because they’re grown up with their own children to nag at. However, I deal with big sisters simply by trying to continually sell them online and gifting them the same birthday present EVERY YEAR so eventually they’ll get sick of me and leave the planet.
64. HOW DO YOU DESIGN ART FOR YOUR SOCIETY6 STORE? WHAT SOFTWARE DO YOU USE?
I don’t design the art! TALENT = HAVE GOT NOT I.
I just put together graphics using picmonkey! I buy graphics/vector online — but (!! VERY IMPORTANT !!) if you do this, make sure you buy commercial licenses. I tend to stalk places like The Fancy Deal and Creative Market and Deal Jumbo.
65. DO YOU OFTEN BAKE CAKE?
Yes I am an excellent cook. I can make (1) brownies, (2) muffins, (3) eggs, (4) a mess, (5) sorrow of my enemies.
66. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE COLOUR?
67. WERE THERE ANY SPECIFIC BOOKS OR FILMS THAT STARTED YOUR LOVE FOR DRAGONS?
I will accuse Narnia of this an Eustace Clarence Scrubb’s brief fling with dragondom. They made it sound like a bad thing, but he totally squandered his time. I would’ve eaten the Pevensies, collected all the gold of ever, and ruled Narnia.
Also I’m Slytherin, hello.
68. HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU LEARNED TO READ?
I DON’T REMEMBER. Probably 6? Whatever the boring usual age is. I had an uninspired youth and was akin to a potato who wore gumboots all the time and beat anyone to death who touched my handmade pipecleaner dolls.
69. HOW DO YOU GET TO BE SO AWESOME?
I was born for it.
I also tell people I’m awesome and after a while they tend to believe it.
70. DID YOU GO TO COLLEGE / UNIVERSITY?
No, I’m horribly uneducated. I also graduated school at 16 because I was super cute and smart back then, but now I’ve been uneducated for nearly 7 years now.
And I’m okay with this.
71. WHAT ARE YOUR LONG TERM GOALS?
Finish my TBR before the zombies come, which (hopefully) is any day now.
- become a rather famous published author
- who comes out with 2 x books a year
- use all my profits to buy more books to read
- get bookshelves that reach to the ceiling with ladders
- keep dragons on my front lawn who eat people
- make a sandwich presently
Clearly we need a blogversary tasting giveaway!
And while I’d like to give you cake…I ate it all. So instead I have 3 prizes for 3 winners! Open INTERNATIONALLY.
- (1st Prize) Amazon ebook of your choice! (Up to $10 Australian!)
- (2nd Prize) A mini bookish necklace!
- (3rd Prize) A 10,000-word critique of your writing from ME. (If you trust my opinions mwhaha…but I’ve done 3 professional writing courses, I’ve written 25 books, and I’m signed with a literary agent.)