I LOVE RECAPS!
Maybe* I’m strange but I love lists and piles and organised rows of successful completions. Last year I hosted a recap linkup myself, but this year I didn’t because a) the move to WordPress took longer than I expected, b) I went away, c) I hosted a “‘Bout The Blogger” link up instead (which is still going any you can enter the giveaway and WIN STUFF).
No regrets! But I still wanted to do a recap.**
I stumbled across Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner’s 2014 recap survey with lots and lots of delicious questions I would like to swallow.
* Okay, cut out the “maybe”…I’m okay with the truth.
** Because of lists, peoples. You know lists and I have a close love affair.
Because that’s not at all ominous. (I promise, this survey won’t bite.)
Number Of Books You Read
I’ll probably read a few more but…yes…this is the most books I’ve ever read in a year. It was a reading-ish sort of year.
Number of Re-Reads
Oh this is rather embarrassing. 2. I reread two whole books. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and Gone by Michael Grant. (I’m not a rereader, apparently.)
Genre You Read The Most From
CAN WE HAVE PIE?
Despite me being the Grumpy And Very Critical Contemporary Reader….it’s my #1 genre! (I read 65+ contemporaries.) Followed closely, of course, but my FAVOURITE GENRE OF THE WORLD: Urban/Paranormal fantasy. What can I say? I love supernatural….things.
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
I CAN’T pick one favourite. It’s too hard. I am alone in the corner crying here…
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
IN A GOOD WAY: Because I liked them a lot more than I thought I would.
IN A BAD WAY: Because I abhorred them and it made me cry.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
It has to be Dangerous Girls and Throne of Glass, right?! I had so many people tweet that they’d bought Dangerous Girls after I raved about it! AND IF YOU HAVEN’T READ THRONE OF GLASS YET, I CAN’T EVEN LOOK AT YOU.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Series is obviously The Mortal Instruments. I never finish series…but I read 6 books in one year! GO ME.
Sequel is Crown of Midnight which blew Throne of Glass away.
Series conclusion is um um um… the only series conclusions I read was City of Heavenly Fire from The Mortal Instruments, and Four from Divergent (but, on account of it being novellas, I’m not sure it counts as “conclusion”).
Clearly I need to focus and finish more series.
6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2014?
HOLLY BLACK! CASSANDRA CLARE! MARKUS ZUSAK! LAINI TAYLOR!
Oh. Ah. It was supposed to be pluralised, right?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
If it’s YA, I read it. ALL THE GENRES I WILL EAT. I read a fair few Middle-Grade books this year. I adored:
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Well, this is awkward. None? There’s a teeny tiny microscopic chance I’ll reread one of Sarah J Maas’ books. But let’s face it:
10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2014?
I have such a cover-love problem that I read books SOLEY based on cover. Half the time, I don’t even care what they’re about because…cover love.
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
I can’t answer Celeana Sardothien for every answer can I?
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
I may or may not have just died of writing-love after reading Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of the Universe. OH. That and Falling Into Place. Wickedly beautiful.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Well, Dangerous Girls has made me rethink ever having friends or going on holidays or, well, making eye-contact with people.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Hit me over the head with a bookshelf, but I regret so so much not reading Holly Black before this year.
15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire = 734 pages
The Fantastic Mr. Fox = 81 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Dangerous Boys and Dangerous Girls get the award for this…BUT. Since I’ve mentioned them copiously already and I’m trying to share the love around:
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
I have a lot of OTPs, but top (of this second) is Quentin and Maggie from Disruption and also Simon and Isabelle from The Mortal Instruments.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Rose Justice and Roza in Rose Under Fire broke my heart a little. Oh, and honourable mention to Kenji and Juliette because I might have laughed a lung out in Ignite Me.
20. Favourite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Marissa Meyer. You are perfection.
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Ha. You want a list right? A WHOLE LIST?! I am a hopelessly peer-pressured reader as I confessed in previous posts.
Amanda @ Book Badger had me reading Skulduggery Pleasant.
Engie @ Musings From Neville’s Navel had me reading Ash and American Born Chinese.
Emily @ The Loony Teen Writer had me reading The Golden Compass.
The ENTIRE BLOGOSPHERE threw things at me until I read Daughter of Smoke And Bone.
Lydia @ Planet Lydia had me reading The Book Thief.
Zoe @ Stories On Stage had me reading Tiger Lily.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
I’m just going to say The Raven Boys and leave it at ALL of them, okay?
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
OH Laini Taylor wins this very easily and extraordinarily fast. Her world is so amazing and she uses such sparse words to create a kaboom of colour! I AM IN LOVE WITH HER WORLDS. (I haven’t gotten to book 3 yet, but soon, peoples, soon.)
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Lemony Snicket wins this section hands down! He’s a) hilarious, b) a little ludicrous, and c) entirely dryly sarcastic.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Okay, here’s the truth: I am 89% Vulcan and DO NOT CRY. But occasionally my tear ducts get moistened and books are to blame.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I picked up Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock without my thought…and gosh, has it plastered itself like a sticky barnacle to my brain. IT WAS AMAZING. And hurt. I apparently read a lot of books that hurt.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Can we talk about Half Bad for a second? And how awfully cruel and horrible it is to poor little Nathan? And how I am literally 2 millimeters away from DYING because I need the sequel so badly? THIS BOOK LITERALLY STOMPED ON MY HEART.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
I don’t think there is anything in the world that can compare to Good Omens by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman. It is extraordinarily ludicrous and I love it. It also featured Crowley, so that wins two million points.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad?
I am angry about 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I hated that book and I really try never to say that. Every book deserves a chance! But I really felt that one was condoning abuse by making Hannah (a bullied girl) kill herself and psychologically abuse (and BULLY) random kids at school by blaming them. It was wrong. I felt absolutely sick reading it.
1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I haven’t been actively reading blogs all that long, so I have so many book blogs I’ve followed and fallen in love with this year! SO. Since I always name the same ones…here as some I’ve only recently followed (like in the last 5 or so months) that I absolutely love:
2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2014?
I love all my reviews! Okay, okay, that did sound a little teeny tiny bit over-confident. But I really only try to post my reviews if they’re a) fangirling, b) funny, c) stuffed with incoherent “oh my goshes”.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Hooooow am I supposed to remember what discussions I posted? Gosh?! I am pleased of my discussion on why we’re sick of books being compared to The Hunger Games. And everyone apparently liked my discussion of how we feel when books use our names (with nearly 200 comments. Oh WOW!!!)
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I sat in my room, alone, and read a book.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Any time someone mentions my blog in a post or weekly roundup or tweets a post or even just comments and says “hey this was cool” — THAT. That all makes blogging 1000% worth it and makes me happier than a Hatter with a teapot.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
This is hard to tell because I switched to wordpress and therefore sacrificed my stats. But I think my most popular post of ever was my WELCOME TO PAPERFURY post which hit over 200 comments.
Thank you, my fuzzy antelopish blogglings, thank you! I need a moment to flail…
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
It’s always nerve wracking when a review gets only a few comments.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I would’ve said bookworld.com.au, which is an Australian bookstore, but they recently put a flat-fee of postage on all their books which consequently made me cry and go back to bookdepository.com for all my book-buying-needs.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I only ever set a Goodreads goal (which I completed) because I a) get distracted, b) don’t complete things, c) forget I signed up for them in the first place. Focus. FOCUS, CAIT.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Eeek. I have so many. I really want to finish series in 2015.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
I’d love to make it to 2,000 followers. I also want to do more “giving back” to my readers and followers, but I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW. Not just guest posts spots or giveaways…but something I can do too that would be useful. I’m plotting. As your Queen and Overlord, of course. (I can’t let myself slip too much and seem nice or approachable, here.) I will also continue in my world ruling, but that’s an obvious goal for 2015, right?
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone
How many times have I mentioned this book in this post?! I refuse to say “too many”. It’s amazing, peoples. It’ll break your heart and you’ll hate me for recommending it. But somehow — oh I may be hyperventilating again — I just connected to it so much it felt REAL.
It’s also going to be a movie SO READ THE BOOK FIRST.
SO! DID YOU GET TO THE END OF THIS POST?
Cake for you.
It’s quite long but (now this is a secret) I love to have these records to look back on next year. And don’t forget, if you want join in, jump over to the original post on Jamie’s blog! And feel free to link me to any recaps you’ve done lately!
wait! before you go! i’m super curious…do you have any specific blogging goals for 2015? (because i need some and i need to steal your fabulous ideas.) also: top book you can’t wait for in 2015?! go go go!
Cait is currently wearing her Loki shoes and trying to think up mischief. So far she’s just obstinately kept christmas lights on her bookshelf. #rebel Currently she’s teaching her dog to sit, which is working just about as well as sailing a cello down the Nile.