I have a gargantuan amount of love for the End of Year Book Survey hosted by Perpetual Page Turner! You want to know why? Well. I have one word for you: BOOOOOOOKS. Here is a post where I get to shriek unashamedly about my favourite books of 2015. Plus I get to make lists and give stats and basically — I am in heaven right now.
It’ll be a long post, my pineapple friends. BUT I’M NOT EVEN SORRY. BECAUSE BOOKS. (I know it’s hard to tell, but I have this mild addiction where I’d totally give up all the cake in this Galactic Universe for books. Books > everything else.)
(Oh and I am possibly cheating with some of the questions. Adding a few of my own and deleting some of the official ones. #RebelBookworm)
Also, SOMEHOW, mysteriously…I’m in the semi-final rounds of Epic Read’s Book Shimmy Awards for Booknerd of the Year Award! LIKE HOW??! The 7 other contestants are all Booktubers (and 1 instagramer) and just…gah I’m completely floored and amazed. Apparently all my shrieking is loved by the nations?!?? THANK YOU EVERYONE. So. Go vote for me.
NUMBER OF BOOKS READ
300. I. KNOW. It’s a lot. (Although I know people who’ve read more!!) And it’s the most I’ve ever read in one year and I maybe perhaps DOUBLED MY GOODREADS GOAL.
I appreciate that Goodreads believes I’m good at other stuff too…but…not really Goodreads? I spend all my time READING.
Also Goodreads has this “year in books” thing happening and here be mine.
I honestly felt like I had a pretty lousy reading year…but my calculations say I gave 1/3 of the books I read 4-stars. SO THAT’S PRETTY FABULOUS. A lot of books I highly anticipated let me down though, so 2015 was not my best year of ever.
“Do you like fantasy, Cait?” you ask. HOWEVER CAN YOU TELL. Fantasy wins, with contemporary coming second. I have my priorities in order, folks.
BEST BOOK(S) READ IN 2015
This question is always monstrously hard but — I’M GIVING IT A SOLID GO. Because I’m strong at heart.
BOOKS YOU WERE EXCITED ABOUT AND THOUGHT YOU’D LOVE BUT DIDN’T
- Queen of Shadows: was…ridiculous. I think it lost the point of who Celaena is. It totally lost the point of Chaol and Dorian.
- A Court of Thorns and Roses: was…featuring a horrifically sexist and abusive romance and calling it “hot and sexy”. ERM. NO???
- An Ember in the Ashes: was….violent for no reason with no world-building and NO SENSE AGHHHH.
- Me Being Me Is Exactly As Insane As You Being You: was…told entirely in lists and I wanted to love it so so bad. But it was boring.
BOOK YOU “PUSHED” THE MOST PEOPLE TO READ?
I actually rather pride myself on being able to sell books. I’ve missed my life calling. I OUGHT TO RUN A BOOKSTORE. So many people tweeted me to say they are reading Maggie Stiefvater books because of me! She’s my favourite author by the way. Just in case you didn’t know. BECAUSE I NEVER EVER EVER TALK ABOUT IT.*
* All lies. I talk of nothing else.
BEST SERIES YOU STARTED IN 2015? BEST SEQUEL OF 2015? BEST SERIES ENDER OF 2015?
- I started The Demon King series and — AM IN LOVE.
- Ensnared by AG Howard was a perfect series conclusion as well. My MOTH.
- Obviously Winter by Marissa Meyer was 100% perfection as well. She writes better and better with every book.
BEST BOOK FROM A GENRE YOU DON’T TYPICALLY READ?
I don’t lunge for contemporaries, because they’re sadly devoid of dragons. But I still ate some. And they were good.
MOST ACTION PACKED/THRILLING BOOK?
I’m always SO exhausted after a Rick Riordan book. Like, seriously, do they never pause for a nap??? Never? I need a nap after finishing one. And I read 11 this year so I might be a slight sleepless Riordan fangirl.
FAVOURITE COVER OF A BOOK YOU READ IN 2015
Is it just me or are the cover designers getting BETTER?!?! Because I’ve pounced on so. many. books this year because of cover love. NOT EVEN ASHAMED.
MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTER?
The evil computer A.I.D.A.N from Illuminae. He’s complex and terrifying and…also…relatable somehow? BUT ALSO BAD.
MOST BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN BOOK IN 2015
I could’ve eaten The Accident Season. That’s how gorgeous it was. I always eat things that are pretty. Why do you think I like cake? Hmm?
BOOK YOU CAN’T BELIEVE YOU WAITED UNTIL 2015 TO FINALLY READ?
OH SO MANY. SO MANY. It’s nearly embarrassing…but I really only started Rick Riordan this year! And also JK Rowling. Oh and Rae Carson. And I’ll be super shallow and admit Ellie Marney’s Sherlock tetelling series too. Why? Oh, only because I thought the covers were ugly. HOW SHALLOW AM I??!
BOOK THAT SHOCKED YOU THE MOST
Despite knowing and being warned and having no excuse in the at all of ever… A Song of Ice and Fire still shocked me. Plot twists. Certain deaths. The amount of newfound love I found for lemon cakes. That sort of thing. Excuse me, but aFtER tHiS sEIREs I aM nO lONgeR okAY aT aLL.
OTP OF THE YEAR
One true pairing? ONNNNNE? Try millions of true pairings. I’m not the most romantic overlord the world has ever known, but I do have a weakness for shipping shippable things. For example:
- Jack & Saba from Blood Red Road
- Blue & Simon from Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda
- Niklass & Aurora from Princess of Thorns
- Daenerys & Jon Snow from A Song of Ice And Fire (shhh I’m aware they’ve never met)
- Henry & Flora from A Game of Love and Death (this book was basically 100% about shipping)
FAVOURITE NON-ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP OF THE YEAR
Excellent friendships are the best in books. I will be a that puddle of feels on the floor over a friendship if given the chance. If not given the chance, I still will be.
- Newt & Thomas from The Death Cure
- Cinder & Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles (everything that comes out of Thorne’s mouth is golden)
- Amber & Milo from Demon Road (best adult + teen relationship of ever)
- Saba & Emmi from Blood Red Road (they’re sisters and both have the BEST character development)
- Kady & A.I.D.A.N from Illuminae (do not underestimate this duo)
BEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2015 THAT YOU READ BASED SOLELY ON RECOMMENDATION FROM SOMEBODY
Only 985393 people hounded me to read Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda. Was it good? WAS IT? Oh hold onto your pineapple fronds the answer is:
BEST 2015 DEBUT?
By this point I’m trying to mention books I haven’t talked about yet so…Made You Up?!?! I can’t believe it’s only a debut because it’s so smart and powerful and perfectly written. I had a feel. NO WAIT. I had like nine feels.
BOOKS THAT WERE FUN TO READ?
I adore funny books. I mean it’s hard to tell from my blog, of course — BUT I REALLY LIKE HUMOUR. So if you want to end up in stitches, here is your list:
BOOKS THAT MADE YOU CRY
The truth is…I don’t cry in books. I tear up. I wail on the inside. But actual tears? Please. This Vulcan is mildly offended.
I might’ve gotten a little foggy over Half Wild (when will they stop torturing my darling Nathan? I know…never) and A Storm of Swords (FOR OBVIOUS RED WEDDING REASONS) but seriously can George RR Martin leave no one alive? Please? There’s going to be NO ONE LEFT to finish the series!
So far results have not been good, but I’ll keep trying. I am no quitter.
HIDDEN GEMS OF THE YEAR
I honestly can’t believe Blood Red Road isn’t more famous. IT SHOULD BE. It is the kind of book I would wear as a hat to proclaim my love for it every time I leave the house. But also:
BOOK THAT CRUSHED YOUR SOUL
I REFUSE TO MENTION GEORGE RR MARTIN AGAIN. Skulduggery Pleasant always leaves me howling, because it makes a joke and — while you’re still snorting with laughter — it then kills everything you love. How is that fair???? Please, Derek Landy, what did we ever do to you??? Stop killing everything!!
Except, of course, Skulduggery himself is a living skeleton so…
What a relief.
MOST UNIQUE BOOK YOU READ
Challenger Deep was like…woah. It actually made me dizzy in the beginning…but then it wound all the confusing schizophrenic plot lines together into this tale that made me hiccup with feels.
BOOK THAT MADE YOU MAD
I’M SO SO SICKENINGLY FURIOUS AT THE PANEM COMPANION. I had to shout it. I had to. Rage doesn’t even cover it. Gah. It was a bunch of fan theories with the official “Mockingjay” stamp to make us think it was legit. NO. Plus it actually dissed the series. Plus it was wrong. Plus…plus…LET’S JUST LET IT BURN WITH FIRE.
NEW FAVOURITE BLOGS DISCOVERED IN 2015?
I’m horrible, I truly am and I’ll confess and you can admit it. (Actually totally don’t. I have dragons and, like, an army, so don’t offend me, yes? Good job.) But I DON’T REMEMBER. I should write down the date when I make my friends, seriously. So I’ll just go ahead and list the top blogs I’ve been
stalking reading this year.
The Quiet People // Nellie And Co // The Devil Orders Take Out // Loony Literate // Chasing Faerytales // The Honest Bookclub // It Starts At Midnight // Out of Coffee Out of Mind // Rambling Writer // Istyria Book Blog // Twirling Pages //
FAVOURITE POSTS I WROTE
Making me choose between my children…sheesh.
- 10 Things You Should Regularly Tell Writers — this one went (semi?) viral and got 7,000-pageviews in ONE DAY. EEEP. Trust me, that is not normal and has never happened again.
- How To Be Kind To Book Bloggers — squishy feels ahead, you’ve been warned
- Why Is There So Much Sexism In Epic Fantasy — I still ask myself this…every time I read a fantasy, dangit
- The 10 Types of Writers — funness involved
- 10 Problems of Being an Adult Reading YA — apparently I like lists of 10, okay? Okay.
- Wherein I Review Food As If It Was a Book — I rather amused myself writing this
- How To Translate What The Writer Creature Is Trying To Say — because we writers speak a complex language
BEST BLOGGING/BOOKISH MOMENTS OF 2015?
OH OH. Some stupendous things happened to me, okay?! And I’m eternally thankful for so so many of them, but it calls for a list. (Everything calls for a list today.)
- I got into the semi-finals of the Epic Reads Book Shimmy Awards!! LIKE, HELLO, WHAT?!?! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN TO TINY, SHRIEKING, FANGIRLING ME? I never dreamed that would happen. I still feel like a small dilapidated blogger who just pretends to know what they’re doing…
- Including my blog, instagram, goodreads, tumblr, and twitter I have, collectively — 10,000 followers. Um. Okay. Sooooo. Can I shriek now? Or maybe pass out? OR BOTH TOGETHER???? LET’S HAVE CAKE AND CELEBRATE.
- I wrote 3 books which I’m intensely proud of, one with dragons, one with heists, and one about pianos.
- I read the MOST books this year than any other year of my life.
- I got hired to blog at Boomerang books!
- My etsy store really took off. I will be rich and famous soon and buying my own planet. I shall call the planet Ian.
MOST CHALLENGING THING ABOUT YOUR BLOGGING/READING LIFE THIS YEAR
- Finding…time. I mean, my life circumstances haven’t changed but my blog is getting huger and if I intend to attack everyone with friendship like a friendly shark, it takes longer.
- I’ve also had a really challenging year health wise. This impacts blogging, heck yes it does. Anxiety has run rampant through the streets. This is a repurposed Megamind quote…so you get cookies from the dark side if you got that!
- My own competitiveness is exhausting. Yes competitiveness WITH MYSELF. For the last 3 years I’ve nearly doubled my reading goals. Um, I am not reading 600 books next year okay, brain? OKAY??!?!? So realising I can’t always read a book a day, and I can’t always write a good blog post, and I can’t always write a book super fast is…hard.
- I’m ridiculous I know.
- BUT IT’S WHO I AM, BOB.
- I haven’t found a whole ton of books I’m in love with. Am I getting harder to please?? Was 2015 not the year of voluminous grand releases? WHO CAN KNOW. But it’s depressing to read lots of low-star books.
- DARN MY LIBRARY WITH ITS REFUSAL TO BUY NEW RELEASES. I can’t complain because they do have a good selection. But just not new. Shiny and new is my weakness, okay?
BOOKS YOU DIDN’T GET TO IN 2015, SO WILL BE TOP PRIORITY NEXT YEAR
Oh gosh. SO MANY. I didn’t do fabulously well with actual 2015 releases, so let’s ignore those. BUT these are in my possession currently and should’ve been read by now. 300 books read but what have I been doing?
2016 BOOKS YOU ARE HIGHLY ANTICIPATING
I did a WHOLE POST of 2016 books I want to snabble up right now (please, someone, get me a time machine and let’s go forth), but here are the top ones:
THINGS YOU HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH IN YOUR READING/BLOGGING LIFE IN 2016?
- Bring down my iron ruling upon the world.
- (But there will be cake so stop complaining.)
- BECOME THE MOST FAMOUS BLOGGER OF EEEEEVER. (Shhh. Let me dream.)
- Get my instagram to 5,000 followers.
- Introduce more bookish items into my etsy store and maybe open a society6 store?! I’VE GOT PLANS, HUMANS.
- Read 300 books again!
- Host more giveaways…because I did like 3 this year and that seems very puny.
- IMPROVE MY BLOGGING SKILLS. Because no matter what I want to get better at blogging, at designing graphics, at taking photos, at writing. And I’m always ALL EARS to tips and advice — so let ’em at me if you dare.
Finally… THANK YOU for reading this post! Because, sheesh. I had a lot of books to shriek about, didn’t I?!?!
But also thank you in general…for supporting my blog and leaving comments and calling me Cake and humouring me overuse of the word pineapple and and…and…JUST EVERYTHING. For all the comments too, especially, because your comments mean so so much to me. I like you very much. When I take the world, you all get cookies from the dark side.
Also my giveaway is still running from my survey post so ENTER IF YOU WISH IT. Open internationally!