I love resolutions. ADORE THEM. I love making lists and ticking things off and I’ve been guilty of writing things down even though I’ve already done them just so I can tick them off. Not even sorry. #IDoWhatIWant
So of course I’m writing resolutions for 2016. Logical, achievable resolutions — naturally.
And I have many goals. MANY. Ready for this? Let us launch.
(I’m sneakily linking this up with Broke and Bookish’s Top Ten Tuesday because — WHY NOT.)
- SPEND MORE TIME WRITING. Because I’m a binge writer. So it’s totally likely for me to write intensely for 5 days and then do nothing for 5 months. Gah. I don’t want to change my style or habits (it’s just who I am, Bob) but I do want to get more done in a year!
- …WHICH ALSO MEANS SPEND MORE TIME EDITING, GOSH DARNIT. I whinge about editing a lot. Because I don’t like it. There’s pressure on editing! There’s anxiousness about axing the wrong words and it’s tedious and takes a long time. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT?! I have 18 books that could be edited. Yup. 18. For me 2016 needs to be about editing.
- WRITE AT LEAST 2 BOOKS AND EDIT AT LEAST 2 BOOKS. I actually have 4 books I want to write (and it’s only January!!! HELP) but I shall shush them in a corner for now. Focus on editing, Cait. F.O.C.U.S.
- WRITE A WIDER VARIETY OF CHARACTERS…ALSO MAKE THEM MORE DIVERSE. I write quirky, sassy, dimensional characters (in my opinion anyway, ha!) but they all tend to follow the same patterns. This needs work. And I also wuss out of writing diverse characters a lot because…what do I know?! I might read 3989 books about being deaf or Asian, but if I haven’t lived it, then what right do I have to write it, hmm? But NO MORE. I want to be brave. Research! Write diversely!
- PARTICIPATE IN NANOWRIMO. I mean, obviously.
- GET A BOOK DEAL. Okay! Okay! I can’t put things out of my control on a goals list but… I do have dragons and they can be slightly threatening little beasts…
- REACH 5,000 FOLLOWERS ON INSTAGRAM. That’d double what I have now, but pshhht. I can do it.
- DON’T BLOG SO MUCH. Most people resolve to blog more! I KNOW. But I’m overwhelmed, humans. Yes, your queen is freely admitting this right now. I want to answer all my comments and visit all the blogs, but that takes me HOURS each day. As far as my power extends, I haven’t yet found a time machine. I want to blog 4 times a week and keep up the social networking!
- LEARN MORE ABOUT GRAPHIC DESIGN. I’m addicted to pretty things. Not even ashamed. I haunt Creative Market and wish I had all the monies of the world to buy all the pretty graphics. But I’d also like to be able to PUT TOGETHER nice graphics. So far it’s all haphazard plopping things here and there and beaming. Nope. I want to learn thingies. Turning my own drawings into vector would be amazing. No clue how to do that yet without mortgaging my soul for equipment.
- READ 200 BOOKS. I did read 300 last year, and I won’t lie…I secretly want to read 300 again. But, like I said: the focus of 2016 is WRITING! So I want to aim for 20 books a month and stop competing with myself. Naturally myself is a great sport and the races between myself and I are amusing to say the least — but seriously. IT GETS EXHAUSTING.
- PICK AN AUTHOR AND DEVOUR ALL THEIR BOOKS. So far I’m tossing between Neal Shusterman, Neil Gaiman and Julie Kagawa. See, each year I try to pick an author and just gobble all their works. Last year was George RR Martin and Rick Riordan. And it’s a grand binge reading opportunity.
- HAVE UNDER 10 BOOKS ON MY TBR AT A TIME. This one is hilarious, isn’t it? Adorable and hilarious. Ha ha ha.
- RE-READ ALL THE STIEFVATER BOOKS. You know how much I love Maggie Stiefvater, right?! WELL. I barely ever reread…but her books need to be the exception. Last year I reread the Shiver trilogy. This year I want to listen to audios of her books and basically just absorb her words all. the. time so I can write that awesomely. #goals
- GET A NEW BOOKSHELF. If anyone says “just sell some books” I will look at you very fiercely and you will be scared.
- RULE EVERYTHING. I assume this’ll happen when I sign my book deal. I mean “book deal” and “ruler of the universe” forms probably look rather alike anyway. I’m sure I can get a combined one. Then when my book hits shelves, millions will buy it all at once and — HUZZAH — I’ll be an instant world ruler. Mwah ha hahah.
- IF NOT “EVERYTHING” AT LEAST TAKE OVER A NEW PLANET OR TWO. I’ll probably name the planets Ian and Ferdinand.
- GET ARTY. Because I like art. I LOVE ART. But I get caught up reading and blogging and forget that I like art. I want to zentangle at least once a month. I want to maybe try watercolour painting? Or at least occasionally doodle flowers and rainbows with the blood of my fallen foes.
- TRAIN MY DOG TO BRING ME SANDWICHES. He is a useless secretary. He just loafs around and demands treats and bites me to show affection and seriously, this needs improvement. He should be able to bring sandwiches and coffee at my demand and at least draft my emails. He needs work.