It’s my favourite time of year, my small fiends of the darkness! ANALYSING STAT TIME.
Oh hush. I can be a nerd if I want. I literally live for analysing my reading stats. I keep spreadsheets and sticky-note lists tapped to my bookshelf and I update Goodreads and obsess over it like it’s a magical dragon hatchling just discovered by the light of heaven’s glory. * I LOVE STATS OKAY. **
So since the
world year is ending I’m joining in the End of Year Survey hosted by the Perpetual Page Turner! You can see my 2015 and 2014 years although I don’t know why you’d do that because my posts were weird back then. ***
LOKI WARNING: I won’t be doing ALL the sections and I’ll also make up my own sections (BECAUSE I’M LOKI AND I DO WHAT I WANT THAT’S WHY IT’S CALLED A “LOKI WARNING”).
In this post I will:
- analyse my reading stats
- recap some great books I read this year
- generally shout about books and throw photos of nice books around because that’s who I am as a person
- generally say too much, probably, and whoever makes it to the end of this post will get a small cupcake
- I get to make LOTS OF PRETTY GRAPHICS FOR MYSELF TO ADMIRE (you can admire them too, if you like #magnanimous)
* Which, to be honest, is EXACTLY what Goodreads is.
** Sometimes I ask myself, “Cait, darling,” I say, “do you actually enjoy reading or cataloguing all these books better, hmm?” To which I reply “NO COMMENT” because myself is an invasive little melon and I have rights here.
*** They’re not weird now. Stop it.
NUMBER OF BOOKS READ
Thanks, Goodreads. I happen to be really excellent at eating cake and forgetting where I put my left sock.
Erm, so it’s awkward to note that MOST of my reads were 2 or 3 stars….like am I getting picky in my old age? Someone watch out while I wield my granny cane and be cranky about my oLD BONES and THE WEATHER.
I MEAN, PEOPLES. I DON’T KNOW. IS MY FAVOURITE GENRE FANTASY MAYBE???? IT’S HARD TO SAY.
WHERE DID THE BOOKS COME FROM?
Who are you calling a library addict??????? Because: yes those accusations are true. Honestly I’m keeping them in business. Also it’s come to my attention that I don’t buy many books for myself. Wow. I need to become rich and famous and change that.
HOW MANY WERE DIVERSE?
Yay that the majority were diverse books! Although I do want to see the day where I don’t even track this because ALL BOOKS SHOULD BE DIVERSE.
TYPES OF DIVERSITY REPRESENTATION?
This is calculated out of the 168 diverse books I read. And it’s definitely noticeable that it’s more common to be a secondary/supporting character who represents a minority instead of the main character. (PS. I plan to do these stats better next year, because I didn’t always record if it was the protagonist or supporting cast who fit the diverse category. MY BAD.)
YEAR PUBLISHED IN?
What can I say? I keep up with the current books. #Trendy AND I read a grand total of three 2017 books early, so like go me and organisation. We be friends. (Lies. We hate each other generally.)
MALE VS FEMALE AUTHORS
GO MY GIRL POWER.
(NOTE: All covers will link to their reviews, so clickity click if you’re curious.)
BEST BOOKS OF 2016?
This question kills me every time BECAUSE I HAVE A LOT OF FAVOURITES and am not good at decision making. Seriously it takes me 9 working days to pick an ice cream flavour. (Although, unsurprisingly due to my new found crankiness status, I have had about half the amount of books on my 2016 favourites shelf on Goodreads. HELP ME I’M TOO HARD TO PLEASE.)
BOOKS YOU THOUGHT YOU’D LOVE BUT THEN DIDN’T?
Ugh, I am put out by my non-love of these books. How dare they not be everything I hoped for. Off with all the heads. *
* Don’t you think I’d make an epic Red Queen though?????? SOMEONE HIRE ME I’VE FOUND MY CALLING.
Sometimes going into a book with low expectations is actually the best?!? AND LOOK AT ALL THESE CONTEMPORARIES. Things can be good without dragons??? I never would’ve guessed.
BOOKS YOU FORCED PEOPLE TO READ (AND THEY DID)?
I say this every year but…
…MAGGIE STIEFVATER BOOKS.
The day my answer changes is the day my brain explodes, the stars combust, the zombies come, the earth swallows the moon, I conquer my TBR, and when I drop my toast it doesn’t land jam side down. So to translate: it’ll never change.
FAVOURITE NEW AUTHOR DISCOVERED IN 2016?
I should have tracked the stats of how many new vs old authors I read this year….BUT I DIDN’T BECAUSE SOMEONE DIDN’T THINK OF IT TILL NOW AND THAT SOMEONE IS FIRED. *
* Fine. I’m packing. I’m leaving. I don’t get paid enough for all the obsessive reading-stats tracking I do anyway. If you want me, I SHALL BE IN THE BAHAMAS AND I SHAN’T BE SORRY.
FAVOURITE BOOK FROM A PREVIOUSLY-KNOWN AUTHOR?
I actually cry a little when I find an author that CONSTANTLY serves me winning books on golden platters and says “my liege, this was designed just to please thine magnanimous self”. It’s nice. * I approve.
* Obviously this happens all the time. Particularly the golden platter bit. I basically have a whole room full of them, sheesh, the trials I face being queen.
BEST SERIES FINALES?
You know what I’m terrified of? SERIES FINALES. There is just so potential for them to be as much fun as as frying pancakes whilst using your face for a pan. So I generally do the logical thing and, you know, never ever read them.
But Crooked Kingdom, The Raven King, The Winner’s Kiss, and Half Lost DID NOT DISAPPOINT.
I’m broken, of course, but that’s just a normal state of bookworm affairs. I didn’t want happiness anyway.
Do I judge books by their covers and am a totally shallow bookworm who thinks “COVER FIRST, INSIDES LATER”???? Of course not.
FAVOURITE SQUAD GOALS?
I would like to immediately be adopted into Kell and Rhy and Lila’s gang. Not that they’re a gang. Not that they even like each other half the time. But still: adopt me. Also I obviously want to be an honorary Raven Boy. I’d probably have to be dead first, but I can work with the ghost life.
BEST BOOK YOU READ BECAUSE SOMEONE RECOMMENDED IT?
I’m horribly peer-pressured. If you read a book, then I want to read it. If you eat a pear, than I want a pear. If you decide to crown yourself queen of Gotham, than I take over 9 galaxies, two continents, and three duck ponds and crown myself universal queen of all because I’m also competitive.
It’s probably something I should work on, you know? Not being so pressured? But whatever.
I definitely picked up all these books because I saw other bloggers talking/raving about them like mad lunatics. WHICH HONESTLY IS THE JOB DESCRIPTION OF WE BLOGGERS.
BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY?
Okay here’s the truth: I NEVER ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY CRY WHILE READING. I think I have once?? And I think that was more because that was the day I was also smote on the head by goblins of the north. BECAUSE I DON’T CRY. Ahem.
But I do cry on the inside. So I’m counting that.
Woah, did these ones coordinate their outfits or WHAT?!? Very nice. Honestly if I could coordinate my own outfits half as well of these covers, I might actually be able to leave the house. But no. The shirt I’ve had for 5 years it is.
OTHER RANDOM BOOKS I NEED GIVE MY AFFECTIONS TO BECAUSE REASONS?
Because apparently I just want to THROW all the books I loved at your face. Which is highly unusual for me. I’m like the model of The Chill And Collected Blogger. *
Like these books aren’t ones I’m going to marry at dawn and pledge my firstborn dragon son to. ** But they’re still good. And I enjoyed them!!
** To be honest, I’m not pledging my firstborn dragon son to ANYONE because I don’t have one.
MADE YOU SUPER MAD?
When I named myself Paper Fury, it was mostly because it sounded good. But it was also partially because (A) I think maybe I am Nick Fury and will lead the Avengers someday, (B) I actually meant to spell “fry” in honour of my love of potatoes but then I just worked with the typo I had, (C) I actually do get VERY EMOTIONALLY SHOUTY about many matters pertaining to books because I’m passionate about it. Am I passionate about a lot of things? Eh, no. It’s mostly just books. And I’m also passionate about avocado chocolate pie because it’s GREAT and no one agrees. But I digress.
These books made me THE FURY.
- PAPER PRINCESS: for romanticising sexual harassment
- THE READER: for having disability erasure and no one else commenting on it which is really frustrating
- EVERY HEART A DOORWAY: for dissing Narnia which was my childhood life omg
- NEVER NEVER: by ruining Peter Pan by having the DUMBEST most whiny Hook villain ever
- STEALING SNOW: so so cliche I actually decided to use it as a hat instead of reading material
BEST BOOKISH AND BLOGGING MOMENTS?
- I reached 3,000 followers on bloglovin! WHICH IS JUST INSANE. Because honestly I just don’t even know why you all put up with me???? I flap around shouting about useless things and never never never never thought my blog would get this book. (PS. Thank you omg.)
- I had a tweet that went viral! Well, I’m calling 5,000 favourites “viral”, okay?! OKAY.
- My #bookstagram account reached 22K. Which, again, WHAT INSANITY IS THIS. Did I accidentally bribe a dark wizard???? And I’m laughing because my 2015 recap had “reach 5K on bookstagram” as my goals. HAHAHAHAHHA HAHAH. #overachiever
- I just have really really epic blogging friends. You humans are the kindest things of ever and so supportive and just AHHHHH. Excuse me while I gush a moment but we need to thank the universe for the existence of Maraia, Emily, Jeann, Kelly, Lisa, Shanti and Shar, Esther, Bee, and Shannon!! And, obviously, THE REST OF YOU TOO. LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I FLAIL OVER GETTING TO CHAT WITH ALL OF YOU. If you comment here = I think you’re the most marvellous piece of cake of ever. #TrueStoryBro And if you don’t comment, then feel free. We could be friends. I don’t bite. (Well I sometimes bite, but only biannually. I have a schedule for being scary.)
- UGH I’M GUSHING. SOMEONE SHUT ME UP.
- Also I’m so so so glad I discovered an intense love for Adult Epic Fantasy. It kinda changed my writing life because I want to write this genre so so bad. So bless the creature that is V.E. Schwab who says you can write amazing YA and Adult fantasy things and be fabulous and also stab your readers in the face all the time. #ActualWriterGoals
MOST CHALLENGING THINGS THIS YEAR?
- Humans on the internet. HAHAHAHH HAHAHHA….oh gosh. Okay, I’m sorry. The internet is great, I swear. But ugh. I have been stabbed in the eyeball a few times this year. I’ve been subtweeted and attacked super viciously and it shook me. Plus just having people say I’m stupid, or my reading tastes are horrible, or slamming my reviews, or lying about me, or telling me what to blog about because “well you have a big blog so you should be blogging about this and this” IS ALL JUST DISGUSTING. I’m my own person and I shall have my own thoughts, opinions, and feelings thank you very much, sir. I wish the internet was kinder and thought about the other people behind the screen more. But you know what? That has been like 10% of my year. 90% has been awesome. So I’m not dwelling on these grapefruits of sourness.
- Anxiety. I’m actually mildly private about it, but sometimes I want to mention it so if any of you struggle with anxiety disorders too…just know I understand you!! Let’s cry occasionally, eat cake, and then continue being awesome.
- MY TBR KNOWS NO CHILL. Even less than me. Help. It’s crushing me flat and is definitely a challenge. Stop feeding this child. #AndImNotEvenThatSorry
BEST AND MOST POPULAR BLOG POSTS?
BOOK YOU SHOULD’VE READ BY NOW, SO WILL BE #1 PRIORITY IN 2017?
Erm, this is embarrassing. But like how did I read 245 books and STILL FEEL MAJORLY BEHIND WITH MY TBR???? It’s a conspiracy. Needless to say, I shall be onto these books first thing in 2017. Or else, you know, first thing in 2018. Or 2034.
HIGHLY ANTICIPATED 2017 RELEASES?
I did write a WHOLE POST on this which you should read and watch your TBR explode in your face and then we can cry together with how broke we’re going to be in 2017.
Is it just me or is 2017 going to be WICKEDLY INSANELY AMAZING for books???? I want them all. I need to
rob a bank strike gold or at least become rich and famous for my ability to mention cake in every single post without fail.
GOALS FOR 2017?
- Read 200 books. (And not, like, stress over reading because I need to have time to write too.)
- WRITE SO SO MUCH!! Because I have a ridiculous amount of books outlined. No joke, I outlined at least 6+ books this year. Who’s going to write them all, hmm?? I need to get busy.
- Reach 40K on instagram. (SHHH I’M DREAMING BIG HERE.)
- Host a blog party! Because I always think about doing it AND THEN DON’T because #lazy.
- Do more writing-advice posts. Even though I know not what I’m doing. I KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW. But at least I know nothing fabulously.
- Actually sort out my review shelves on the blog. Because the goal is to have them all interactive but so far I only have the Retelling shelf like HALF DONE. Someone smite me. Why do I read 200+ books a year and have 800+ reviews to catalogue?
- Continue my reign of terror. I’m just working on the “terror” bit. You all don’t seem scared???? What is this???? Fear me????