A gargantuan part of being a bookworm is wanting books we do not currently hold in our clammy paws. I don’t know about you, but I am attracted to SHINY NEW BOOKS. And Goodreads just torments us with listing tantalising new releases THAT WE JUST CAN’T HAVE. Gosh darnit. Which leads me to being attracted to the idea of a time machine. Because dangit, Jim*, I’m not a patient plant. I am a bookworm of action.
Today I’m writing a list of 2016 releases I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO EAT RIGHT NOW. It’s supposed to be only 10 and also debuts. But since when have I ever done a Top Ten Tuesday prompt without cheating? #RebelAtHeart
There are TONS of books coming…absolutely TONS OF THEM. I’m not even sorry and you and your TBR may hate and thank me simultaneously.
Also if you have a time machine, I
demand ask nicely for use of it.
* There is no reason I’m calling you Jim today. YOU JUST ARE ALL JIM.**
** Actually it’s totally a Star Trek reference. “Dangit Jim, I’m a doctor not an [insert every other occupation here]!” Okay? okay.
This Week’s Prompt: Top Ten 2016
Debuts Novels We Are Looking Forward To
(Which is a pretty tiny list, sadly. SHAME ON ME. Recommendations welcome. Because I obviously need more books in my life.)
- THE WEIGHT OF ZERO: This is about bipolar…which is a disorder I am curious to know more about so YES PLEASE.
- THE QUIET ONES: There isn’t much blurb, but this got me “Hawaiian gods guide a narcoleptic teenager” Sign me up, Jim.
- THE LOOSE ENDS LIST: Is it bad to admit that it got me at “list”!?!? I LOVE LISTS. Look! I am currently writing lists of how much I like lists! Also it’s about a grandma and her granddaughter and I love those kind of stories.
- HEARTLESS: I love Alice in Wonderland. LOVE IT. And I just have completely faith in Marissa Meyer to write it excellently! And hopefully it’ll live up to Splintered?!?
- STARS ABOVE: I mean, this is a given. It’s a collection of short stories about The Lunar Chronicles and — LOOK!! — cover reveal! So pretty!
- STEALING SNOW: So the blurb said “reminiscent of Wicked and Maleficent” AND I STOPPED LISTENING AND JUST WANT IT.
- BRIGHT SMOKE, COLD FIRE: Romeo and Juliet retelling with necromancers?!?!? There can be no downside.
- NORA & KETTLE: Another Peter Pan retelling! I told you I have a Peter Pan obsession!! I WARNED YOU. Plus the pitch is “What if Peter Pan was a homeless kid just trying to survive, and Wendy flew away for a really good reason?” Ohhhh, let me cackle with pleasure at this marvellousness.
- A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE: A Sherlock retelling…with a female Sherlock! WOOT. I’m lucky enough to have an eARC for this too! SQUEE.
- UNHOOKED: Peter Pan is only my favourite thing ever…so of course I need more retellings!
- THE FORBIDDEN WISH: I utterly adore Persian folklore and I really want this Aladdin retelling. I want everything. I am a bookworm of huge wants.
- UNTITLED (Prisoners of Peace #2): I wasn’t the biggest fan of logic behind The Scorpion Rules but I still loved it. Best. villain. EVER.
- THE WINNER’S KISS (The Winner’s Trilogy #3): I’m still disappointed they broke the “C” alliteration. But I will read it. Because my darlings are currently in dire peril and I want to know how this ends.
- HALF LOST (Half Bad #3): I so have a feeling this is gonna end badly…PLEASE LET IT BE OKAY.
- THE RAVEN KING (The Raven Cycle #4): I will absolutely scream if anyone dies okay?! My current prediction is that one of the boys (Ronan???) will sacrifice themselves for Gansey and I will not be okay ever again. EEEEVERRRR.
- THE ROSE AND THE DAGGER (The Wrath and the Dawn #2): I cannot wait for this! Although I have a suspicion my feels will be shredded.
(I’m hugely guilty of adding books because of cover alone…so at least I’m reading blurbs right?! GO ME.)
- MEMENTO MORI: Amy Zhang is like, um 17-years-old or something and disgustingly talented, and I definitely need this book of hers because the blurb promises a protagonist embarking on a bucket list called “Places to Eat Before I Die”. HECK YEAH.
- UNTITLED: Okay, I lied about “blurb reading”. There is no blurb for this one except “a trilogy about super heroes and super villains” and it’s by Marissa Meyer so yes I want it. Noooooow.
- THE MUSE OF NIGHTMARES: Laini Taylor!! Is it acceptable to do a happy dance right now?! It’s about wars of gods and men…but I don’t even care. LAINI TAYLOR.
- OF FIRE AND STARS: I’m so so soooo excited because it’s pitched as “Malinda Lo meets Game of Thrones”.
- THE BASTARD TABLE: It’s about outcasts and saving princesses and going to war and I JUST WANT IT. Jon Snow wants to read it too.
(I am such a sucker for fantasy!! It is basically my favourite genre of EVER and I shall read all the fantasies or bust. Probably both, to be honest.)
- SWORD AND VERSE: Literacy is a capital offence! Hold me while I howl!
- TITANS: Because it sounds like The Scorpio Races!! (And we all know by now that I’m mildly obsessed with Maggie Stiefvater books…ahem.) Plus the protagonist is named Astrid, and Astrid is a good name.
- REBEL OF THE SANDS: You had me at “…she’s more gunpowder than girl…” Also magical beasts! Deserts! And sharpshooting!
- LADY MIDNIGHT: Heck yes this is here! Cassandra Clare is AMAZING and I will forever read what she writes.
- THE STAR-TOUCHED QUEEN: I do so love queenly books. Also there is a cool tree in here. I like cool trees.
- THE CROWN’S GAME: This is a Russian based fantasy!! RUSSIAN!! Do you know how much I’ve screamed for fantasies like this?? THE WORLD HAS HEARD ME.
- IVORY AND BONE: It sounds kind of caveman-ish…which makes me think of the Croods. So I am in.
- THIS SAVAGE SONG: Basically Victoria Schwab and monsters — what more could I want?!?!
(Okay but shhhh this is an ACCIDENT I SWEAR. But goodreads insists on showing me 2017 books, so what am I supposed to do?! Ignore it? NO. I MUST SUFFER. So you should suffer with me.)
- NUTCRACKED: I’ve been asking where the Nutcracker retellings are! HERE THEY ARE.
- HEARTLESS: And a Little Mermaid retelling! But from the VILLAIN’S POV. SO EXCUSE ME WHILE I GET MONSTROUSLY EXCITED.
- UNTITLED: Wherein Veronica Roth writes like Star Wars apparently. But, to be honest, she could write about chicken soup and I’d still want to read it.
- BY YOUR SIDE: A boy and girl get locked in a library! MY DREAMS COME TRUE.
- LONG MAY SHE REIGN: Do you know how DESPERATELY I want this book?!?! The pitch is “in which a 17-year-old shy, socially awkward girl scientist is 23rd in line for the throne, but suddenly becomes queen when the entire court is assassinated by poison during a state dinner.” EXCUSE ME BUT WANT.
I AM CURRENTLY OUT OF MY VULCAN MIND WITH WANT FOR THESE DELICIOUS SOUNDING BOOKS. IF YOU NEED ME, I’LL BE STALKING GOODREADS … PROBABLY HOWLING.