I absolutely love lists of goals and resolutions.
I love writing them down and then waving gently to them as they pack their bags and move interstate because the chances of me actually working actively at my goals are about 3%. But you know what? I try. So I get acknowledgement for that. *
But before I launch into my 2017 goals, I have need to recap my 2016 goals so we can sip tea and judge my failings. As you do.
* FIFTY POINTS TO SLYTHERIN.
- WRITE AT LEAST 2 BOOKS AND EDIT AT LEAST 2 BOOKS. ✓ I actually get a solid tick for this because I wrote four books and edited 2.5 books!! Don’t ask about the 0.5 here. Just…don’t.
- WRITE DIVERSELY.✓ I’m giving myself a tick for this because all my books are diverse AND I also wrote a book about anxiety disorders which was rather personal SO I ACTUALLY SORT DESERVE CAKE NOW.
- KILL LESS CHARACTERS. ✗ I don’t know why this was on here. I failed it. I killed so many characters this year even George RR Martin was proud.
- FOCUS ON EDITING. ✗ Like I wrote FOUR books but edited TWO so…no. I have the focus of a gnat drowning in a bowl of cornflakes.
- WRITE JUNGLE BOOK RETELLING, SHERLOCK HOLMES RETELLING, AND THE ATLAS GIRL. ✗ I’ve linked to their pinterest boards there so you can see how awesome they look. Also: solid fail. I WROTE NONE OF THEM.
- PARTICIPATE IN NANOWRIMO. ✓ This was such a cheating goal because I always do NaNo. But whatever. I like ticking things.
- REACH 5,000 FOLLOWERS ON INSTAGRAM. ✓ I actually am at 22,000 followers as we speak so #winning.
- LEARN MORE ABOUT GRAPHIC DESIGN. ✗✓ Like yes and no!?? I opened a Society6 Store but my designs are SO NOT COMPLICATED. Ha.
- ONLY BLOG 3 – 4 TIMES A WEEK.✓ I achieved this! I wanted to cut down on blogging (I used to do 6 days a week, peoples) and stress less AND I DID. It was hard to not be so obsessive about it?!? But much much better for what little sanity I have left. I basically blog Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday now…and occasionally Friday.
- READ 200 BOOKS.✓ Say hello to my 245. #overachiever
- PICK AN AUTHOR AND DEVOUR ALL THEIR BOOKS. ✗ Solid fail. Didn’t even try actually.
- HAVE UNDER 10 BOOKS ON MY TBR AT A TIME. ✗ HAHAHA HAHAHHAHA…HAHAHAHHAHHAH HAHAHHA …hhaha ha ha..ha….ha. There are 80+ right now.
- RE-READ ALL THE STIEFVATER BOOKS. ✗✓ Erm, I get half points because I re-read the first 3 Raven Cycle books and The Scorpio Races.
- GET A NEW BOOKSHELF. ✓ I actually stole my sister’s. I’m sure this is fine.
- GET ARTY. ✗ Did I even actually try? No.
- READ 200 BOOKS. This is a comfortable amount!! I don’t end up like a stressed coral reef and I still achieve a lot. Dude, the overachiever urge is SO STRONG WITHIN ME it’s actually a problem.
- RE-READ 10 BOOKS. I discovered I love re-reading…but I feel guilty?!? Because like there are 9385309 books on my TBR and yet here I am re-reading??? #SHAME Except. No. No it is not shame. It is brilliance. I tentatively have The Wrath and the Dawn, A Darker Shade of Magic & A Gathering of Shadows, The Raven Cycle, and Ink And Bone on my “NEED TO RE-READ” list.
- REACH 40,000 FOLLOWERS ON #BOOKSTAGRAM. Shh, let me dream.
- DO SOME COLLAB POSTS WITH OTHER BLOGGERS. I generally do a grand total of ONE per year. Dude, how am I so productive and yet so lazy???
- WRITE 2 BOOKS AND EDIT 2 BOOKS. Which is like becoming a yearly ritual and I like it! Except for the editing part. We shall burn that with fire.
- WRITE A SEQUEL. I haven’t written a sequel in, erm, five years. I plan full series, write the first book, and then FORGET WHERE I LEFT MY BRAIN. (Note: If anyone locates my brain, please return to sender. I miss it.) So I need to conquer this fear of “I can’t revisit these characters I don’t remember how they function.”
- GET SERIOUS ABOUT WRITING ADULT FANTASY. Because I need to get some feedback from readers to see if I’m doing it right???? Or if I’m just HOPELESSLY FOOLING MYSELF and should stick to YA glitter stabbtastic catastrophes.
- GET NEW PRODUCTS INTO MY ETSY STORE. Especially more bookworm themed things?!? Because that would be awesome. I mostly sell baby origami mobiles at the moment.
- START A READING JOURNAL. Kind of like a bullet journal but more reading themed. The trouble with this is I NEVER can stick to journalling…but I really want to!?? Also this could force me into Accidental Arting which would be nice.
- UPGRADE MY IPOD. Since it’s 4 years old, refuses app updates, doesn’t let me check DMs on instagram, shuts down when I ask it to preform simple tasks, doesn’t always send my texts, has no storage despite HAVING NOTHING ON IT BECAUSE I DELETED EVERYTHING I LOVED, won’t delete old audiobooks, won’t let me download new apps, and is just generally rude. (Also I don’t have a phone so my iPod is kind of everything.) I THINK I NEED TO UPGRADE. Except I am also Mister Scrooge and barely spend money on anything (hey, I have two shirts, why do I need more) so this will be a test of my delicate constitution.
- UPGRADE MY BRAIN. I need an edition that isn’t prone to spontaneous combustion.
- CONTINUE QUEENSHIP. It’s going strong. Look at my army.
- BE A DRAGON BUT NOT BURN DOWN THE CONTINENTS MAYBE. This seems like a nice goal.
- READ LESS ARCS AND MORE BOOKS I CHOOSE. I get a lot of unsolicited books! Which has stopped somewhat since I quit several publisher lists. But it’d really help my tendency to rant and give 1 star ratings if I READ MORE BOOKS I PICK FOR MYSELF. So. Here we go, Algernon.