Make sure you start off this year right by flooding your TBR pile with shiny new 2018 book releases!
I went on Goodreads and saw my “want to read” shelf had over 1,000 books on it. Ridiculous right?! I did some serious culling, like the mature and emotionally controlled creature I am, and deleted a sheer ton of books. And then to celebrate? I added 93891 new 2018 releases because they all loOK SO FRIKKIN’ AWESOME.
This is logical.
You should all be more like me.
But seriously how amazing does 2018 look?! I’m going to make a wild guess that it’ll be a phenomenal year for books, due to (a) my debut is coming out, and (b) other books too I guess I’m not sure but MINE IS COMING OUT.
So today I want to affectionally ruin your chances of ever conquering your mountainous TBR pile and tell you which 2018 YA releases I’m most excited for!! I’m just doing the first 6 months of the year. Because I can see the panic in your feverish gaze already. It’ll be ok. Deep breaths. Go fall down a gold mine or sell your sister’s kidneys or something to afford this. We’ll be fine.
Also if you want to preorder my book (haha who are we kidding of course you do), there’s free postage world wide on bookdepository.com!
It is out June 7th in UK and Australia with Hachette Children’s / Orchard UK and I’m freeeeaaaaaking out. CANNOT STOP TALKING ABOUT IT.
PS. Did I mention I’m getting sent an ARC soon!?? It’ll be the first time I’ve ever held my smol son. I’m dead.
- THE CRUEL PRINCE: Omggg I love Holly Black!! The Curseworker series is my fAVOURITE and I need more of her writing. Plus wild and creepy faeries = insta yes from me.
- BLOOD AND SAND: The pitch is “warrior princess and a handsome gladiator who dared take on the Roman Republic” and I’m like so intrigued.
- IRON GOLD: Okay I’m cheeeating. This isn’t YA, but I’m so so excited!! This is continuing on the Red Rising series WHICH IS FAB AND BLOODY and hopefully it doesn’t kill off my favourites who managed to survive the last murdery trilogy. Do they not get a break? Do I not get a break??? No. I’M SO HAPPY.
- REIGN OF THE FALLEN: I actually got a surprise ARC! But I’m a little concerned because she “falls in love with her husband’s brother”!?! It doesn’t sound very…YA???
- THE FORGOTTEN BOOK: I literally want to read this because of the cover. #ShallowAndCannotDeny Also it’s a Jane Austen retelling + everything the girl writes comes true! Hopefully she uses it like Death Note because that’ll be exciting.
- THE CURSES (#2): I’m like one of the 3 people who enjoyed book one. Excuse me. But hopefully this will be more dark and witchy?!
- EVERLESS: Even after reading the blurb I have no idea what this is. Someone should probably fire me from blogging or else pay me twice as much cake and give me a Good Effort sticker. But the cover is aesthetically pleasing. Also the blurb doesn’t even mention a love interest?! I’m proud.
- THE HAZEL WOOD: I’ve actually heard this is horrible hahhaha BUT IT’S PRETTY. Also it’s about dark fairie tales and creepy woods so I want to still try?!
- CHAINBREAKER (#2): The sequel to Timekeeper which is like steampunk clock ghosts and queer boys and biracial girls and MAGICAL CLOCKS. I’ve already preordered!!
- THE DANGEROUS ART OF BLENDING IN: So this is about a Greek queer boy who is an artist and the blurb hints it’ll be pretty dark. MY HEART IS READY TO HURT.
- A TAXONOMY OF LOVE: I’m always keen to find books with disability rep, and the boy protagonist has Tourette’s syndrome!
- LOVE, HATE, AND OTHER FILTERS: I assume this is about all of our hate for Instagram filters so we can hope. Also #ownvoices Indian-American teen!
- BY A CHARM AND A CURSE: This is about circus and a boy with an ice cursed kiss, which sounds exciting.
- THE BELLES: Ahhh I love this author’s previous dark duology about ballerinas, and this is an #ownvoices fantasy with queens and richness and courts and jUST LOOK AT THAT COVER.
- HONOR AMONG THIEVES: Thieves!! Space! Also I love Rachel Caine!!
- WHEN LIGHT LEFT US: This is the author of Because You’ll Never Meet Me! I’m keen to see what she does next?! Also it has aliens which seems fun.
- INK IRON AND GLASS: People write worlds into existence!! Literally my job too!! And the cover!!
- THE CADAVER AND QUEEN: I’M ACTUALLY SO EXCITED I CAN’T BREATHE. This is like female medical student in 1900s + Frankenstein retelling + dead people?!?!??!! Holy heck yes.
- #PRETTYBOY MUST DIE: Kid CIA operative who gets outed from his undercover life on the internet!? Sounds amazing and very probable. Especially with the YA community. I also have an eARC of this one. SO KEEN.
- WHEN MY HEART JOINS THE THOUSAND: All you have to say is “NEURODIVERSE GIRL” and I’m therrrrre. I’ll park my pirate ship and even walk to get there. I’m dedicated. (Also the love interest walks with a cane!)
- TO KILL A KINGDOM: So small CLAIM TO FAME (!!) moment, but Allie used to be a book blogger and I beta read one of her earlier unpublished novels (which was amaaaaazing) so I’m fully dying for her debut. Pirates and sirens!!
- THE UNBINDING OF MARY READE: All I need to say is FEMALE PIRATES and Anne Bonny!!
- RESTORE ME (#4): We are freaking getting more books about Warner and Juliette?! What a time to be alive.
- THE WICKED DEEP: Salem witch trials + sister book! I like sister books, because I also think my sisters might be witches.
- MORE THAN WE CAN TELL (#2): I’m so so excited for this because it’s a spinoff for Letters To The Lost but about Rev!! IT’S EVERYTHING I EVER NEEDED.
- THE ASTONISHING COLOR OF AFTER: Another #ownvoices book, and this is about a biracial Taiwanese girl!! And ridiculously on my part, I don’t think I’ve ever read about a Taiwanese character —> so YES that this exists.
- TYLER JOHNSON WAS HERE: I absolutely adore this cover (boys and flowers though ahhhh) and also an #ownvoices Black Lives Matter book! I think this one is going to be so important.
- AMELIA WESTLAKE: Heyyyy a feminist queer story set in an all-girls school!??! Yes.
- CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE: Ownvoices African-inspired fantasy?!?? I neeeeed it.
- OBSIDIO (#3): Nooooo I’m never going to be rEAdY I think everyone is going to die.
- THE QUEENS OF INNIS LEAR: I’m cheeeating again because this is adult. But it’s about 3 sister princesses and battles and blood and magic. So HERE I AM. MY PEOPLE CALL.
- MILES AWAY FROM YOU: This is probably going to be a heartbreaking one so like ice cream and I will need to read it together. But a boy goes on a “goodbye/recovery” trip to Iceland and I’m like 99% sure the entire cast is queer.
- I WAS BORN FOR THIS: Ohh I loved Alice Oseman’s last book!! And this promises fandom and queerness. My only confusion is that Goodreads says it’s out in January (!?) the publisher’s website says April (?!) and there’s still no cover but that’s so soon?! WHAT’S GOING ON.
- ACE OF SHADES: This is like Six of Crows!! HEISTS AND CLEVERNESS AHHH. Also I love Amanda Foody’s debut and she’s the most lovely person on twitter. (Small claim to fame: I used to co-blog on a writers’ blog with her!)
- ISLE OF BLOOD AND STONE: Mapmakers and missing princes!! And it’s narrated by a boy and since that’s rare (?) for YA fantasy I am keen.
- DREAD NATION: An #ownvoices historical fiction! And that cover is freaking AMAZING.
- LEAH ON THE OFFBEAT: Heyyyy this is a Simon Vs sequel and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. WHICH MEANS WE GET LOTS OF SIMON TOO. I’M SO HAPPY.
- SKY IN THE DEEP: Viking fantasy is all I need to know.
- WHITE RABBIT: Omg this looks so freaking good?!? Queer protagonist + they find a dead body + he has to help prove his sister innocent of murder?!?!?! Yes please.
- ASH PRINCESS: Ok this sounds SUPER dark and bloody…so hi.
- SHIP IT: This sounds like Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell a bit?! So I’m happy! Basically queer characters, fandoms, and fanfic writers. I’m only a little cautious because the blurb sounds a bit like forcing people out of the closet before they’re ready? But hopefully it won’t be like that.
- WE’LL FLY AWAY: Told through letters from someone on death row?? I’m intrigued.
- THE BRIGHTSIDERS: I loved Jen Wilde’s Queens of Geek and she’s an #ActuallyAutistic author (although I don’t believe this book is about ASD, but gooooo ASD authors!) It’s about a bisexual teen music star.
- LIFEL1K3: I’m keen to see Jay Kristoff’s new sci-fi and how he destroys us next. Lowkey still can’t read that title though.
- BRING ME THEIR HEARTS: A witch’s soldier girl who’s tasked with capturing the prince’s heart. Like, literally. She’s gotta cut it out. This is great.
- ON THE COME UP: Next Angie Thomas book! I DON’T KNOW WHAT IT’S ABOUT AND DON’T CARE. BRING IT!
- ALL OF THIS IS TRUE: I’m so freaking pumped for this!! A novelist steals a bunch of teens’ darkest secrets and puts them in her next book?!?
- FURYBORN: Awww LOOK!! Someone wrote my memoir. I also have an eARC of this so it’ll be great to see how my future life pans out. Hopefully there are swords and crowns for me coming up.
- PUDDIN’: Sequel to Dumplin!
- ALLIED (#3): I’m very keen to see how our murderous queens finish the tale.
- LEGENDARY (#2): Also keen to see how our murderous magical island goes. Like forget the characters haha I’m here for that creepy island.
- A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES: The only book that’s IMPORTANT THIS YEAR. I mean…haha. Excuse me. I was going to be humble but I forgot. Also in case you didn’t know: it’s about a boy prodigy pianist and his abusive mother’s obsession to make him successful. There’s classical music and a Slytherin little sister and a girl who forcefully befriends him and then feeds him cake when he gets cranky. Obviously it’s perfect. <— title says so
- MONDAY’S NOT COMING: The title is honestly a relief, but that aside, I LOVED this author’s mindtwisty debut!
- THE ART OF FRENCH KISSING: I am so here for the food. Not the kissing. Unless we’re kissing macarons which then I understand.
- SUMMER OF SALT: This author’s books NEVER disappoint!! Plus it’s about sister witches. #yes
- SOMETIME AFTER MIDNIGHT: Genderbent queer Cinderella story!