Are you ready to feel happily ATTACKED by your TBR pile?! Hands? Hands? Can I see a show of hands?!! Whooo!
Oh stop crying, you’ll be fine. Look 87% of being a book blogger is casually taking up necromancy so that you can keeping coming back to life and finishing off your TBR pile. Or adding to it. I’m not judging your afterlife priorities. The remaining 11% is trying to convince your post to format nicely and I guess there’s 2% of actual, you know, reading or whatever.
Anyhow I’m very keen today to make a list of some upcoming YA releases I’m monstrously excited for.
I did a post earlier this year, covering January – May releases. So let’s add to that mess!
Linking up with Top Ten Tuesday for “Books I’d Love to Get Early”
Also this is how I keep track of the upcoming releases I want to read! Because Goodreads is a black hole basically, so we’ve migrated back to paper ‘n’ ink style. My unicorn notebook is actually the cutest thing.
- THE SURFACE BREAKS: Okay but an actual retelling of the dark original Little Mermaid? #YAS My fins are ready. Also is that cover not something you want to eat?! I want to eat.
- I WAS BORN FOR THIS: I adoooore Alice Oseman and I’m so keen for this. Plus it’s orange (“SUNSET ORANGE, PEETA”) so I’m in love.
- ALL OF THIS IS TRUE: A writer steals actual teens’ lives and secrets and writes about them, which sounds AWFUL and also I 100% believe it would happen.
- THE QUEEN UNDERNEATH: This just sounds like a fun fantasy with a motley crew of unlikely heroes. Also maybe people live below ground?? My hobbits! Arise!
- THE SMOKE THIEVES: My favourite author is BACK and hopefully will smash hearts and souls and minds, etc. Not that I have those left after Half Bad.
- LEGENDARY: Ohhh so I got sent an ARC aaaand it actually has my name on it. Best thing ever. I didn’t even have to work and got my name on a book cover WOOO. Anyway I hear Tella is narrating and 10/10 glad because Scarlett needed some cheese with that whine.
- LIFELIKE: Is that a HONEYCOMB. Anyway I’m excited! Jay Kristoff!!
- SHIP IT: This is about fandoms and queerity (shh it’s a word) and I’m super excited and hoping it’s a happy wholesome book?! I need more good fandom experiences in books!
AKA THE MOST IMPORTANT MONTH OF THIS WHOLE YEAR BECAUSE LOOK:
My debut, A Thousand Perfect Notes, comes out on the 7th. And you want to know how freakishly surreal it is to be able to say this?!? Get an umbrella. I’m going to cry all over you. Now go love me and pre-order (links here!) because that means (a) my dark soul will burst into glitter, and (b) you will get to see MORE books from me in the future! I am only a smol author OK, so this is really important (!!).
Anyway…other books are coming out too. Not that they’re obviously important. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- THE BIRD AND THE BLADE: So reviews seem mixed?! I think it’s based on a tragic opera? But anyway! It’s a Chinese retelling and has riddles and wars!
- WHISPER OF THE TIDE (#2): I loved the first book with smugglers and pirates and I need this yesterday.
- CITY OF BASTARDS (#2): The first book was so fUNNY!?? I love sassy fantasy romps and also I think the first had a subtle stab in the feels. Must reread.
- A LITERARY TEA PARTY: Ohhh I’m so excited for Alison’s cookbook!! She’s an epic blogger who does book foodie recipes so basically I love her and THIS IS THE BEST. (Also PS. we’re doing an epic collab closer to our books’ release dates!)
- ARROW HEART: I think this is modern?! But with GODS and a girl is cursed to make the boy who falls in love with her into a mindless slave. I mean. Seems fun but apparently she’s distressed.
- FINAL DRAFT: It’s about a writer!! I need writer books by writers about writers SO WHINE ABOUT WRITING.
- SOMETIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT: Queer Prince Charming, I mean. Also uses the internet to find the owner of “the shoe” which seems fun.
- RUNNING WITH LIONS: OMG I’M SO KEEN it sounds like The Foxhole Court?!?!!? With childhood bestfriend/crushes returning and hearts being wrung around and I just !!!
- LITTLE DO WE KNOW: Alriiiight so the story sounds like two best friends fighting, which I actually don’t usually like. BUT. The author’s other book, Every Last Word, was incredible so HI. I am here anyway. My TBR hates me already so what the heck. Also quilling on the cover!! Ah!!
- THE ART OF ESCAPING: This is about escape artists! A girl is obsessed with Harry Houdini (possibly f/f??) and leads a double life doing escaping performances and I am KEEN.
- WILD BLUE WONDER: I think this is magical realism?!? Which I adore (also loved the author’s debut) so I am here for blue and wonder.
- THE UNBINDING OF MARY READE: Pirates!! I am here for pirates!! (I also think it’s f/f!?) And honestly if it has Calico Jack and Anne Bonny in it, then I’m pack my bags. I’m sailing.
- SMOKE AND IRON (#4): I’m freeeeaking OUT! Book #3 ended on such a cliffhanger and I swear this series is one of my favourite. Magical libraries, murder and mayhem! #SantiAndWolfeForever
- FAWKES: Ok but just so you know I am famous…the author is my friend! EEEP. Anyway, she sent me a copy so I actually have this gorgeous book. It is (surprise!) about assassinating the King of England and that is so fun.
- CONTAGION: Monsters and murder in space?! Like it doesn’t sound original (lol lol) but I’m still here for it. Also that COVER.
- BRIGHT WE BURN (#3): I am here to see my prince and love Radu get a happy ending (NOT MEHMED) and honestly I’m terrified Lada will die. Help. Also she is so epic but kind of looks like the witch in suicide squad.
But you do you, Lada. I won’t judge.
- KILL THE FARM BOY: This better make Princess Bride references is all I can say. And I think it’s a total parody?! But I want it.
- SEA WITCH: Look we are being #blessed with mermaids recently and I am a fan.
- SPINNING SILVER: Someday I will tire of fairy tales BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY. I think it’s adult though?? But regardless, she turns things to gold and I’m hoping for some life tips.
- HEART OF THORNS: I’m here for girls with knives and witches.
- THESE REBEL WAVES: Piiiiirates. Honestly I should read the blurb, but who needs to do that when you know THERE WILL BE PIRATES.
- THE FOREST QUEEN: I think a girl runs into the woods for justice and to help the commoners, so I’m here hoping this is a genderbent Robin Hood. And !! that !! cover!
- MIRAGE: I thought it was fantasy, but maybe it’s sci-fi?! But anyway there’s evil kingdoms and a hateful Prince/Pauper body swap!
- SEAFIRE: MORE PIRATES. I seriously love 2018. Anyway it’s like this all-girl-pirate-crew but then they might need to take on a boy to save or ruin them. I’d say skip the boy but ya know. Accidents happen.
- FINDING YVONNE: This is about a violinist!! And she might not get into the conservatory, which sounds stressful so let’s be stressed.
- WHITE RABBIT RED WOLF: The blurb is tiny but basically = math prodigy + anxiety disorders. I relate to one of those things a lot already and it ain’t the math.
- BRAVE ENOUGH: This is about an unenthused ballerina and a boy with an addiction and the cover looks like it splattered paint everywhere. My eyes are hearts.
- CITY OF GHOSTS: Our queen and saviour SCHWAB is back with a middle-grade book about a girl who sees ghosts and it sounds very Schwabish.
- DARKDAWN (#3): I still haven’t read Godsgrave yet (sobsob) and I’m totally sure Mia is gonna die but oh well.
- THE CURSES (#2): For some reason it’s been 2 years since the first book!? Which I really did love eep. So hopefully this is as dark and messy and creepy.
- IGNITE THE STARS: Look it has RAINBOWS. Anyway it’s apparently “perfect for fans of the Lunar Chronicles” and has a dark fearsome outlaw who is secretly a 17 year old.
- THE LANTERN’S EMBER: Witches and immortal boys and deals with the devil!
- THE DEEPEST ROOTS: It’s about three super close friends + magical healing / fixing things…and I just love magical realism so my opinion is: !!!
- SUMMER BIRD BLUE: I loved the author’s Starfish! But there’s an anxious girl + it’s set on Hawaii + a surfer boy + writing songs and music!
- AND THE OCEAN WAS OUR SKY: It’s Patrick Nessss!!!!! What else is there to say!! (Also is it illustrated?!?)
- NOT EVEN BONES: The pitch is literally: “Dexter meets This Savage Song in this dark fantasy about a girl sells magical body parts on the black market — until she’s betrayed.” AND I’M SO IN I CAN’T EVEN.
- UNBROKEN: This is an anthology of stories about disabled teens BY disabled authors! I’m so excited. I think this is going to be incredible!
- A BLADE SO BLACK: An #ownvoices black Alice in Wonderland. YES.
- RULE: Three girls are gonna be QUEEN…I mean, why can’t they share it, but I guess sharing isn’t so fun.
- FOR A MUSE OF FIRE: Look it’s got smuggler sand puppet shows and magic AND I love this author.
- THE DARK DESCENT OF ELIZABETH FRANKENSTEIN: As much as I love Keirsten White…this cover is a frikkin horror and I hate it. Hahah. #DecidesToBuyTheEbook
- VENGEFUL: OMG IS ALL I CAN SAY OMG. Eli and Victor are back and I think this book murdered Schwab (from seeing what she went through writing it wow) so I’m guessing it’ll nicely murder us too.