It’s TAG TIME for those of us who like the aesthetic pleasantness of the number three!
Or for those of us who struggle to count much higher than 3??? Look, all I’m saying is that I’m on this earth to read books and write them and sip my readers’ tears out of fancy teacups. I am not here to count very high.
Anyhow, I am
making you suffer blessing your lives with a tag today! I stole this off instagram and then, predictably, added a few of my own questions in because I’m a rebel and incorrigible.
(And also I’m in the midst of WRITING A DRAFT, THE FRESH MONSTROUS HELL IS THIS. Hence I’m behind on comments! Behind on reading! Have no review for today! Am starting to smell colours! Everything is fine!)
Welcome to question ONE, where a small Paper Fury is already sweating and having an absolute bucket load of regrets. (SERIOUSLY WHOSE IDEA WAS THIS TAG????) I have so so many favourite authors…sobbing…but we’ll go with:
- Maggie Stiefvater: INDISPUTABLY. I love every single thing she writes and somehow those stories mean the most to me and stay with me.
- VE Schwab: Who is like writing-style goals !! and life goals !! and sometimes I just want to dissolve into A Darker Shade of Magic and never never come out.
- Cassandra Clare: I just love the Shadowhunter world so badly. It hits me hardest when she incorporates diversity (particularly disability! because most books/series seem to forget that’s part of the diversity umbrella?!) so beautifully and has a bunch of tragic kids just dOING THEIR BEST and probably breaking the world. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We all have those days.
Honourable Mention Because I Am The Worst
Sally Green, Laini Taylor, Patrick Ness, Adam Silvera, Holly Black, Jay Kristoff, Neal Shusterman, John Green, K Ancrum, Jenny Han, Becky Albertalli, Anna Marie McLemore, Stephanie Garber, Leigh Barudgo
3 WEIRDEST THINGS USED AS A BOOKMARK
Ok but literally (1) MY DOG…he was not impressed and moved directly after, making him the worst bookmark ever. (2) A spoon, but I did lick it clean, but yet. (3) My sister’s hair. She does have an awfully long braid and we were kids and it seemed logical at the time.
Use actual bookmarks??? HAHAHA YOU MUST BE JOKING.
3 SERIES BINGED
- The Foxhole Court trilogy…honestly I so rarely binge and then I started reading the first book (it was free on Amazon) on a long traumatic roadtrip (roadtrips are traumatic because I am away from my darkness, my books, my WiFi). I actually could not stop reading!? I was buying and downloading the sequels as soon as the car stopped. I read them ALL IN A WEEK. Which is so freaking unheard of.
- Percy Jackson series: this was a few years ago but I read them all super fast. I have no idea which series what happened in. It is a Percy shaped blur.
- Chaos Walking trilogy: ok FUN STORY (and by “fun” I mean “crying”), I read The Knife of Never Letting Go about 3 years ago. It ruined me so bad that I promplty gave it 5-stars and banished it. I TOOK 3 YEARS TO RECOVER. Then the 10th Anniversary editions came out and I was sent some for review so like…I need to read??? Speedily??? I actually ended up audiobooking (shh it’s a word) them and LOVE LOVE LOVE. Still am damaged! But it was great actually reading a trilogy back-to-back, no years of waiting, my heart screaming out of my chest! 10/10!
3 CHARACTERS YOU LOVE
- August Flynn from This Savage Song: he is the softest monster™ and I also really connected to him in this page where he described, basically, a sensory meltdown. (Sensory issues are huge for me.) It was SO REALISTIC and spot on and I know it was a paranormal monster thing — but isn’t that when stories mean the most?! When they give you something relatable but also, there’s magic.
- Ronan Lynch from The Raven Cycle: LOOK I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHY. He’s nasty but soft, and he’s abrasive but kind. The entire existence of Ronan is a complicated mess and I just love him.
- Lada from And I Darken: at three years old she had a knife and was threatening to bite a continent and if that’s not the most relatable thing ever, what is?? I love Lada. I’m terrified of her. I’m also just in full appreciation of how unbelievably wild she is. Antiheroine of the century. BE YOU, LADA.
3 UNPOPULAR BOOKISH OPINIONS
- I don’t like Sarah J Maas books and every time someone recommends one to me, I LOSE YEARS OFF MY LIFE. However I don’t go about proclaiming my dislike! I am content to be chill about it — just doooon’t recommend I “just try them again”. Please. Save yourself and me.
- I DON’T UNDERSTAND BOOKISH CANDLES. I also can’t stand scents (I prefer cents) but I just??? Why are we putting fire near books??? Did you not see what happened to the Library of Alexandria.
- I think people need to learn how to use trigger warnings. They’re vital for many people’s safety! But they are NOT synonymous with “this book is bad”. A book that deals with suicide or abuse or death doesn’t make the book bad…it’s just bad for people who will go into a very dark place because of it. Use trigger warnings properly!
3 POPULAR BOOKISH OPINIONS
I feel like we always just go with the unpopular ones?! So here, take a cake crumb, and let me confess how many times I frolic with the crowd:
- I love hyped books! I mean sometimes they are unripe cheese, but like !!! I will read all the hyped books thank you!!
- Hardcovers are better. What can I say. They stand on their own like strong, intelligent, independent young creatures.
- Spin-off series are actually awesome. I mean, I know a ton of people who roll their eyes at the next Shadowhunter or Riordan book announced buuuut I LOVE IT. (Except Harry Potter. That needs to chill out now.) I also am in 5000% appreciation of any author who has enough fans that publishers will actually sign them spin-off series. That’s huge! Mad respect to Bardugo and Stiefvater and the 604th Riordan book!
3 FAVOURITE BOOK COVERS
I’m not even going to pretend to behave here.
did you see what I did there with a certain red butterfly book??? I CANNOT BE STOPPED.
3 BOOK GOALS FOR THE YEAR
- Get super caught up on ARCs so I actually start 2019 without seven years of guilt screaming at me.
- STOP FEELING GUILTY FOR READING LESS. (I’m so struggling with writing + reading all the books of ever and I used to be like the Super Reader but this year I’m struggling so bad! I want to not freak out about it!? It doesn’t actually matter. If I enjoy myself = then I’m doing fine.)
- Listen to more audiobooks! I love them, but then find myself not listening as much right now?! I want to finish at least one (if not 2!) per month for the rest of the year!