Do you know how hard it is to review series finales!? SUPER HARD. So instead of my normal review, I decided to show you my reactions to Winter (The Lunar Chronicles #4) by Marissa Meyer. Like Goodreads status updates. (Basically this was inspired by all the shrieking emails I sent to Lisa while I read. She is a good friend to put up with so much shrieking from moi.) But you can read a normal(ish?) review on Goodreads too, if you wish it. I listened to it as an audio and let me just say…best decision ever. I wasn’t so intimidated by the monstrous amount of pages!
SO LET’S DO THIS.
(Although I’m so sad it’s all over…this series definitely goes down as a favourite of ever.)
(Also no spoilers below!)
- This book is ridiculously huge and I am ridiculously excited. BUT IT’S SO HUGE. I could possibly wage war on Sauron with this brick and win from sheer intimidation.
- The audiobook pronounces “Jacin” like “Jason“….which is messing with my delicate grey matter because I have been saying “Jack-in” all this time. Please tell me I’m not alone…
- Winter is a little adorable popsicle of sunshine and crazy.
- The audiobook has also given Scarlet a French accent. EXCUSE ME BUT I LOVE THAT.
- Wolf is sad, for obvious reasons at the conclusion of book 3, so Cress just made the sad-Wolf-puppy a sandwich. 50-pages in and I’m having feels.
Wolf made a strangled sound, pulling everyone’s attention toward him as he lifted a handgun from the crate. “It’s just like the one Scarlet had.” He flipped the gun in his palms, running his thumb along the barrel. “She shot me in the arm once.”
This confession was said with as much tenderness as if Scarlet had given him a bouquet of flower rather than a bullet wound. (pg79)
- Jacin is a guard and NOT ALLOWED to talk to Winter, so she brought her painting project into the hallway where he’s on duty. So they can be together. SO THAT IS CUTE.
- Everything that comes out of Thorne’s mouth is my favourite.
“And once we get Scarlet back, she and Wolf are going to retire to some farm in France and have a litter of baby wolf cubs.”
- My entire thoughts on “The Plan To Overthrow Levana And Put Cinder On the Throne of Lunar”:
- Who’s organising this plan? WHO THOUGHT OF IT? IT IS SO FULL OF HOLES SWISS CHEESE IS JEALOUS.
- I adore how Winter is such a complex character. She has horrible delusions she can’t control and they really mess with her mind…but she uses this. She lets everyone think she’s a silly crazy child, but when it matters, she can manipulate people (without glamour) just by letting them underestimate her and then being awesome. She is so clever.
- So Wolf’s real name is Alpha Ze’ev Kesley? Wow. I probably should’ve known that. But I did not. His name sounds like a sneeze.
- At this point I’ve just remembered that the original Snow White tale involves the Huntsman “killing” Snow White in the woods. ALSO A POISONED APPLE. And Marissa Meyer always weaves this stuff in perfectly but — yelp! I wonder how this’ll play out…
- Jacin has “Protection Syndrome”. He sees a thing and just…wants…to…PROTECT IT.
- If you mess with Scarlet (and her ADORABLE French accent) — you will get no sympathy. You will get growled at. Possibly punched.
- Winter is a precious little gem who cannot be harmed. She is sweet and kind and naive and oblivious and tortured and precious. Precious, I tell you. She reminds me a bit of Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter.
- Wherein, in the midst of a high energy action scene, Winter pauses and tells her companion to buckle up their seatbelt. SAFETY FIRST. I told you she is precious.
- I confess: I dislike how unorganised the rebellion is. It’s relying on hope and trust and pixie dust basically. I kind of hoped there would be an intelligent plan to squee over… As a reader, I nearly feel detached because victory is SO slim. (I’m also mildly attracted to intelligence and none of the characters are being geniuses right now. Boo.) Every time something bad happens, all I can think of is, “Duh, of course that’s what would happen. Logic.” So I am feeling a little let down.
- Scarlet and Winter’s friendship is just about my favourite thing ever.
- Thorne is glorious. This is why:
“My point is that I am going to figure this out, like I always do. First, we’re going to find a way to get into Artemisia. We’re going to find Cress and rescue Cinder and Wolf. We’re going to over-throw Levana, and by the stars above, we are going to make Cinder a queen so she can pay us a lot of money from her royal coffers and we can all retire very rich and very alive, got it?”
- I feel so bad for Kai right now.
- I love Cinder. I DO. But I feel a bit weird that there’s been so much Cinder POV in this section (I’m around page 400) instead of Winter. Considering, ya know…Winter is the title…
- Okay THAT action scene was the best of the book so far. The B.E.S.T.
- The book honestly had such a drag there in the middle … but now the writing is back to being A+, the action incredible, and the humour snortingly golden. Thank goodness.
- APPLE ALERT! APPLE ALERT!
- Everything is horrible and wrong and I’m 90% worried right now. I’m reserving the 10% because it’s not even the finale yet.
- YELP. WOLF. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE.
- I want to cry. Just so you know.
This book is everything. LEAVE ME WITH MY FRIENDS OF THE MOON.
- Kai’s chapter just gave me goosebumps and I am so sad, but SO PROUD of the darling….
- And Kai’s incredible, heart-pounding chapter is followed directly by Iko complaining about clothes — this is why I love this series.
- And this is why I love when Throne and Cinder are in the same room:
Thorne scoffed. “Careful is my middle name. Right after Suave and Daring.”
“Do you even know what you’re saying half the time?” asked Cinder.
- You know how many tears I have right now? PROBABLY MORE THAN 12 TEARS.
- But yet Jacin’s horrific driving gives me life.
- The narrator’s “Australian” accent….HAHAHAHA NO. It’s basically offensive. Please stop.
- Cress is a tiny adorable anxious hacker and I love her. I love anxious characters who are epic. Also she’s wearing an orange tutu and is causing infinite chaos.
- Action scenes with Thorne are always quite fun.
- Help me. I’VE FALLEN INTO A PIT OF AGONY AND CAN’T GET UP.
- Reason #22424 to love Winter:
“Let’s not be cruel. One should never save cake for later when it can be eaten now.”
I’m pretty sure Marissa Meyer was thinking “Now what would Cait like in this book…oh yes. CAKE. I’ll add it in just for her.” #legit
- There are so many shippable moments right now, it’s basically like watching a fleet prepare to sail but yet not knowing if a shark is going to eat someone.
- I PRONOUNCE THIS A VERY SATISFYING ENDING. I’m not bawling. I’m not in pieces. I’m not 100% happy and there are things that have made my soul crinkle in sadness (also a bit of frustration) but I love it anyway. Many of my predictions came true and just…GAH. It’s a fabulous conclusion!!