GUESS WHO’S TURNING 5 YEARS OLD TODAY?!
SURPRISE. IT’S ME. Well, it’s Paper Fury, to be perfectly accurate. But let me just take a moment to feel ANCIENT. In blogging years, (which are different to other kinds of years, obviously) this is very very very old. I mostly can’t believe I still have things to SAY after all this time. I mostly can’t believe people are still LISTENING. (Cue screams of confused joy.)
As is blogversary tradition — we shall celebrate this milestone of a birthday with GLORIOUS GIVEAWAYS AND CAKE! And some goopy thankyous, of course, and a small look back at the past 5 years of bloggy goodness. And tomorrow? We shall be having a TEA PARTY where we can all get to know each other a little better (to make my take-over easier when I maliciously rule the world obviously) because my #1 favourite thing about my blog is how LIVELY it is. Which is all thanks to you, various pineapples and squids.
- THERE ARE ACTUALLY NO RULES. Guidelines. IT’S ALL JUST GUIDELINES. And that is bliss. Better yet, there are no “book blogging qualifying rules” because pfffft. Who has time for that? NOT ME. You don’t have to format your reviews a certain way. You don’t have to the correct “discussion vs review” ratio. (I mean, wut even is that.) You don’t have to participate in twitter chats or host linkups or read a certain amount of books or or or or ANYTHING. YOU JUST DO WHAT YOU WANT AND DO YOUR BEST AND BE A GENERALLY NICE PERSON. The end.
- IT’S OKAY TO CHANGE. I feel like my blogging changes every year….which used to freak me out, but why??? Even though I’m an immortal dragon overlord of flawless perfection, I’m allowed to change. I feel like my voice has toned down a little. I feel like my posts are formatted more consistently. I’ve tried only 90 million things and maybe I’ll try at least 73 million more. But IT’S OKAY to let my blog mature (?!?) and grow and change with me. It’s also okay to change opinions and try new things but in a different way. I used to be sworn off blog tours. I’ve done…3 this year?!?!? But the difference is I ONLY participate for authors I’m really super excited about and ONLY if I can do the post in a way that compliments my blog. This is awesome. I am happy.
- YOU DON’T OWE ANYONE ANYTHING. There’s a bit of a debate about whether bloggers should be paid or not. (I stand on the side that asks WHY we are not paid when we work so much for free and other blogging niches do get paid…ahem.) But THAT ASIDE — your blog is your space and you are queen of it and you make the rules. Of course, if you ask for an ARC, then yes you owe that review. But anything else??? NO! BE FREE, PINEAPPLES. And for those of us who stuff millions of hours into our blogs, it may seem selfish, but we also don’t HAVE to give away our time and effort. Especially if we don’t want to. Give away what you WANT. Or you quickly become stressed. ALWAYS choose your mental health over anything else. It’s important.
- BEING NICE IS THE BEST WAY TO CONQUER THE GALAXIES. Look at me. I give people cake. I visit their blogs. I make an effort to make friends with them and take interest in what they’re doing (plus most bloggers do SUCH interesting things, peoples, they’re all awesome) — and now? I HAVE AN ARMY. I SHALL OWN THE GALAXIES SOON. I am 100000% happy with my reputation as a friendly blogger. I AM SO PROUD OF THAT! If you come chat to me, I shall chat to you back! We shall share cake! You can be an evil overlord and be nice. 10/10 recommend.
- CAKE CAKE CAKE. Sometimes I think you’re all here for my stunningly fabulous personality and my ability to slap arrows all over my blog and look simultaneously adorable and deadly. But I know the truth. You’re only here for the cake. AND I’M OKAY WITH THAT. Blog about relatable things. It is truly excellent advice and basically the secret to success (besides being uber nice). So I blog about books and cake and dragons and everyone relates.
I fully 100% confess that I like to do these little “looking back” at how far my blog has grown FOR STRICTLY MY BENEFIT. Because, oh gosh, my little baby done all grow’d up. CUE PROUD TEARS.
Blog Followers: 23
Blog Followers: 131
Blog Followers: 609
Blog Followers: 1,500
Pageviews: 127,700 (I switched to WordPress in this year…hence the pageview decline…I had to start from scratch!)
Blog Followers: 2,000
Social Media Followers: 18,200
AHHH I HAVE SO MUCH THANKFULNESS TO THANK RIGHT NOW. And here also comes the terrifying moment of KNOWING I’ll forget to mention someone awesome. Last year I listed a gazillion amazing people, and I have no regrets for spreading the love! But this year I’m going to just list a few or otherwise I’d need to list 100+ epic people and you would all DIE from the length of this post.
BUT PLEASE. BELIEVE ME. YOU ARE ALL INCREDIBLE. Every single person who comments on this blog = I LIKE TALKING TO YOU. CAKE FOR ALL. My blog would be so lonely without you.
I N C R E D I B L E B E A N S
Emily, the most funny and amazing writer //// Shanti & Shar, who leave such amazing comments ///// Shannon, I will read your blog for eternity //// Abbie, who is so ridiculously talented //// Amanda, who writes the best most informative posts ever //// Zoe!! My bookish twin!! //// La La in the Library, for being so super supportive //// Charnell, you generally amazing bean ///// Katherine, who cheered my wattpad story so much ///// Bee, you epic writer you ///// Kelly, who answers my random questions and is generally fantastic //// Maraia, truly the greatest of ever <3 ////
AND SERIOUSLY: ALL THE REST OF YOU TOO
I want to list you all. But we’d be here forever. HOW ON EARTH DID I GET SO LUCKY AS TO MEET HUNDREDS OF SUCH NICE BEANS???
And also just a general THANK YOU to anyone and everyone who stops to chat with me. It means a lot!
There are a TON of giveaways. GOOD LUCK ALL!
(And when you’re next looking for handmade bookish merchandise to buy, do please give these sellers a look! They have a great range of items and make such gorgeous things! #SupportHandmadeBusinesses)
Krisina @ Pretty Bookish Etsy Store is wonderfully donating an Owl Bookmark and Bookish Earrings to 1 lucky winner! Please pop over to her Etsy store and admire AAAAALL her glorious creations. She makes the most cutest bookish bracelets and brooches and keychains. (Which would make perfect gifts for bookish friends, btw, so I suggest you go snabble up some of her creations ASAP.) Also catch her on Instagram and facebook!
Celeste @ Reading Nook Gifts is kindly donating 5 bookish pendants to 1 lucky winner! Please go check out her epic instagram (SO BEAUTIFUL) and her twitter and of course her fabulous Etsy store! Aren’t they ADORABLE THO?!??
Winner can pick whatever custom covers they’d like! Open US/CANADA only.
Liselle @ The Lunch Time Librarian has JUST opened a new store featuring bookish shirt designs! AREN’T THEY AMAZING?!? Come check out her brand new website (like, I’m talking hours old) and admire the fabulousness! Also come see her instagram and twitter so you can keep up-to-date on her designs.
Winner can pick whatever shirt they’d like! Open US/CANADA only.
And the ETERNALLY wonderfully Bloomsbury Australia is donating a small mystery pack of YA books to 1 lucky winner! Just shows you how much Bloomsbury rocks, folks. Make sure you’re following them on Facebook and Twitter to keep up-to-date with all the latest YA releases!
Open AUSTRALIA only.