Hello from your wayward writer creature who dresses to blend with their bookshelf.
As anyone would want to. Obviously. Now I have been a little absent from blogging last week due to writing and general panic over Writing Shaped Things™ that I can’t talk about. And I swear, if you thought I was annoying before, I’m just going to get more annoying with all these secrets I’m supposed to hold onto. Someone stuff me in a box.
also (!!) I’m going to be hosting a #bookstagram photo challenge in June!
It’ll be themed around my booooook with daily prompts + I’ll do giveaways of copies of A Thousand Perfect Notes. Signed?! I’m thinking annotated too! Because my pithy commentary on my own book is going to be something to behold. Keep your eyeballs on my instagram!
My exciting news of the month is: I’M BEING TRANSLATED INTO POLISH!
Well, my book is. (I only speak one language and sometimes I have to fake that.) But regardless, at least one of us is going to be well travelled. It’ll be out in Poland in March, 2019 and I’m just a little bit flaily here because this is so amazing. I am just a smol author™ but my book is already running on out there and being independent. I’m so proud.
UM ONLY 39 DAYS TO GO?????
- There’s a 67% chance I will get to announce more Exciting News™ in May and I shall hyperventilate a little until then.
- I swear my life is just waiting 20 years to tell you things, but it’s worth it.
- Also for everyone asking if it’s coming out in the USA…nope! Not as of yet!
- I’m also thoroughly stressing out in anticipation for June 7th, aka, release day.
- There’s just that whole awkward moment when you are both “YAY SOMEONE’S GOING TO READ MY BOOK” and also “OH NO SOMEONE’S GOING TO READ MY BOOK.”
The internet has been
crying at me very much enjoying ARCs of my happy book. No one is a ruin.
EVERYONE IS FINE AND HAVING A GOOD TIME.
I aim to read 18 books per month, buuut I only read 16 (and 3 were novellas!) so hello your immortal ruler has wobbled.
I relate to this taco more than I relate to most humans.
I do have the excuse of being caught up with a visiting sister and I wrote a book this month. Just, ya know, just a whole book. Just the little things. No big deal.
Thank you to Allen & Unwin, Penguin AUS, Hot Keys, and Bloomsbury!
Aaaand my LOVELY publishers, Hachette, sent me this ARC of Legendary and holy heck, it has my name !! on the cover !! The book is talking to me. Also 10/10 for getting your name on a book cover with none of the hard work. I’m here for this.
This edition of Ace of Shades is from the @owlcrate box (I’m a rep and you can get 10% off with my code “FURY” by the by). And I bough Tyler Johnson Was Here (so good tho) and Obsidio (I’M SCARED TO START)!
FROM EDELWEISS OR AMAZON OR LIBRARY!
If you hover / scroll over these they’ll flip to show my mini-review and star rating! Click to go to the full review!
SO I DRAFTED A NEW BOOK! Which is also the 30th book I’ve written!
My first new and fresh project of the year…which feels so odd, because last year I’d written 3 books by now. But not every year is for first drafts!! I must remind myself of that!! And while this wasn’t an “official” Camp NaNoWriMo project, I did get 50,000-words written in April!
(And no! This book isn’t about to be published or contracted OR ANYTHING. It is just a draft I wrote for me!)
- Instead of my usual 30K = 1 day for tackling first drafts…I actually wrote slower.
- This is how the mortals do it yes???
- So I finished up feeling like I’d written a 2nd draft because it’s so NEAT and actually intelligible and I’m oddly proud!
- (The reason I did it this way is because I’m really tired. I am a puddle. My health hasn’t been great this year.)
- I won’t say TOO much but it’s (a) genderbent Sleeping Beauty retelling, (b) it’s about storytellers and bookworms and mental health and making horrible mistakes and falling, (c) it’s really emotional and I had emotions writing it.
- It’s written in a past vs present, split timeline, which WAS REALLY HARD. DON’T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE.
- I’ve been trying to write this book for nearly two years so it finally came together and ugh #more #emotions.
- 55,000-words. What a baby child.
- Obligatory pinterest aesthetic:
I’m kind of just proud of me for writing a draft differently AND loving the finished product AND challenging myself with a split timeline. I have no idea what’s next for it, but like??? This new problem son mine omg. I like.
Just so you know I write really sensible and professional outlines.
- I watched Season 2 of Netflix’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events and OH YES IT WAS PERFECT. So many childhood memories. So much relived trauma. A+ forever a fan.
- Unfortunately I only ever watch shows when my sister visits??? Which is like 4 times a year?? So no more Netflix UNTIL JULY, I GUESS. I miss Brooklyn 99 while I wait for her to come back, dannnngit.
- My dog Atticus exists to be cute. And also blends with the furniture?? Also is 0% help with writing.
- Corn chips are really tasty. Just a friendly update.
- Also insomnia???? Can we talk about how it absolutely sucks. You know you have it really bad when you get excited over 5 (still broken tho) hours of sleep in a night. Whyyyyy.
- I did a publishing Q&A post if you want more details about how A Thousand Perfect Notes sneaked into this world.
- And I’m also giving away a copy of Bring Me Their Hearts so get thee onto that!!
- I blogged LIKE THE DEAD this month, meaning I just stopped posting for a while because: writing. But I wanted to do both. Why aren’t there 15 more hours in my day. It pains me when I can’t multitask 50 x million things.
- Overachiever problems.
- Aaaaand I reached 23,000 on twitter WHICH IS A BIT RIDICULOUS! I’m so honoured people like my mad sense of humour. It’s a worry. But I appreciate it.
- Speaking of twitter though…I’ve noticed a LOT of authors either tweeting less or leaving twitter completely…which is so sad! But understandable?! Maybe fans/readers need to back off in how much we demand from authors?
- The internet is exhausting.
- How do we all not deserve more naps.
- I know most people don’t like the cold but I LOVE IT. My frosty heart yearns for it. Unfortunately I live at the top of Australia, so the weather is more like, “LOL @ WINTER”. But I got to wear a light jacket this week. So nice. So pleased.
- AND LASTLY: If my blog’s format looks weird through bloglovin’ or your WordPress feed — just go straight to the address (paperfury.com) and it’ll look right. I’M SO SORRY ABOUT THIS. Working on it!