Hiiii remember me?! Because I barely blogged in August!
I actually TOOK that hiatus. I took it by the throat, ok, and I rested gloriously and…um neglected my blog for 3 weeks. But I think this is the first long(ish) hiatus I’ve taken in about 3 years so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I shan’t apologise. I do confess I’ve found blogging exhausting lately, but I’ve found LIFE exhausting. I’m not quitting! I am just returning to sit next to you, share my popcorn, and whinge to be honest.
I KNOW SO.
Before we go on, I’m planning on doing a “Spoiler Q&A” about A Thousand Perfect Notes!
Which will be your chance (if you’ve read it!) to ask all the questions that are too spoilery to answer in the open. MWHA HAHA. So here’s a link to a Google Form here. It’s anonymous (but you can leave your name if you want). I am so excited to do this ahhhh!!
GUESS WHO FINALLY ACHIEVED THEIR LIFE GOAL!??
Now don’t laugh but my life goal was always, specifically: “walk into a bookstore and see my book on a shelf.” And I have finally done it! While I was visiting my sister for 2 weeks, we haunted the bookshop. This is extra cool because (a) this was in Lismore, aka the place ATPN is actually set in, and (b) it was my hometown up until last year so !!! I was just so excited. I can’t even say how it feels to go into a store and hey bAM THERE’S YOUR NAME.
ON A SHELF.
If you’re wondering why it took nearly 3 months post-publication for me to do this, then…ahhh. Ok. Two reasons: (1) I currently live in a very small town which is basically a cow paddock and NO real bookstore. And (2) I have really severe social anxiety and sometimes going out is too much. I’m relieved I could even do this finally. No I didn’t ask to sign any. I slipped in and out, but I saw it and that is everything for me. I am all the emotions right now ajfkdslad. (Also only 3 left on the shelf and OBVIOUS GAPS !! So people are buying it hOLY WOW this still shocks me.)
Also I’m slightly biased but…HOW FREAKING EYE-CATCHING IS MY COVER THO.
Also I know I look twelve but…I promise I am not twelve.
- Another author I super admire has actually read my book. *DIES*
- Also 10/10 I love her books and honestly they’re quite similar to mine in themes and tone, so I totally recommend them!!
- ATPN is at 1,000 ratings on Goodreads which is just !!!
- It still just always feels so surreal thinking about it being a real book?! IDK IT HASN’T SUNK IN YET.
- It was featured in Duality Box! They made me fanart. I’m sobbbbbing. FANART.
- I also have more copies of my book than I know what to do with lmao. But I’m going to do some giveaways on Twitter and Instagram soon, so make sure you’re stalking me there.
- Also can I beg for some reviews on Amazon?! ATPN has nearly been out 3 months and but I’ve got barely 40 on Amazon. It would REALLY help me for the search engines and recommendation listings to get some more ratings there!! Good reviews! Bad! Middling mehs! GO FOR IT. Can just be just a few sentences! My book is actually not super big and not available everywhere (unfortunately) so your support means everything…truly it does. Thank yooooou.
I read 18 books…even though I was away! POWER.
I read really intensely the first 10 days of the month and pretty much finished a book a day! It felt really good. I haven’t done that for ages. Like I went from “I should procrastinate for no reason!” to “PUT A BOOK IN FRONT OF MY FACE AND I WILL DEVOUR THEM AND THE SUN AND YOUR GOATS AND RISE GLORIOUS UPON THE DAWN.”
So in other news: I have actually been in a lowkey book slump most of this year and didn’t notice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anyway! I hopefully I keep up the motivation and actually don’t !!! die !! under 14989 books !!
BOOKS BOUGHT vs REVIEW COPIES
Ok so LIBRARY SALE!! I got most of these hardcovers for 50 cents?!? Holy wow. And Sometime After Midnight was a preorder + Heretics Anonymous was all Book Depository’s fault because I was VULNERABLE after some crappy news and they sent me 10% off so like???? I tREAT MYSELF.
Thanks to Entangled Teen for Keeper Of The Bees (SO GORGEOUS) and this edition of Grace & Fury came from an @Owlcrate box! (Sooo recommend their boxes! I actually have a rep code for “FURY” = 10% off too.) I won Save The Date from @bookbookowl! And The Universe Is Expanding And So Am I + Open Summer Road are thanks to Bloomsbury.
AND OK NOBODY PANIC BUT SOMEHOW THE ARC GODS HAVE BLESSED ME AND I HAVE BRIDGE OF CLAY?!?!? Ahhh!!!!!!!!
I actually spent most of August away visiting my sister and nieces and nephews!
You probably remember me mildly panicking about this last month (LIES. I WAS SCREAMING) because, ya know…plane flight alone. And I also struggle being out of routine. But I used to live 5 mins away from these little banshees and I miss them so much. So it was good! Everything went well! I DIDN’T CRASH IN THE PLANE.
I also attacked and devoured her library.
Holy heck, every time I walk into a library I remember how much I am starved for it while I’m at home (yES: no bookstore, no library…I can’t even).
I didn’t get through quite ALL the books I borrowed (hey it was only nine…I was being chill) because it turns out after being climbed over all day by small children, I just wanted to sLEEEEEEP at night. (Plus one night we watched the Netflix To All The Boys movie!! So cuTE! I’m doing a post on it soon!) But still. Library. I love.
And of course there are the little banshees children too. They’re kind of adorable.
My sister has collected a 4th from the faeries realms and it currently can’t crawl but can power roll and worm around so??? Nothing is safe??? Not the plants?? Not my sOCKS. And he pants while he army-crawls so it’s pretty much like having a puppy.
- I also discovered my 5-yo niece can MANIPULATE HER PLAYING CARDS AND USE STRATEGY. She can genuinely hold back good cards + just whoop me in two moves. I thought 5-year-olds were supposed to be innocent. wHO TAUGHT HER THIS.
- My 7yo nephew and I would sit on my bed and read. He, Tintin (I used to love these comics as a kid omg #throwback) and me, something with a lot more screaming in it.
- My 3yo niece threw her socks in the bin at one point and then just stood there crying about it.
- I still???? am so confused??? She was devastated they were in the bin BUT SHE DID IT.
- I feel like this is also a metaphor for life.
- I mistakenly said “Let’s play Simon Says!” which they LOVED because they could just order me around for…ages.
- Backfired. Majorly. Abort.
- I ran up and down the mountain in the backyard like…every day. I am a little dead. My legs have left me for a better life.
- IT WAS SO COLD. Since I live in tropical QLD, it was this massive and glorious shock going back to 3C degree mornings (about 37F). My cold dead heart thrived. My eyes glowed. My hair grew thick and luscious. Poisoned apples fell from the trees. I brought the winter storms.
- Usually I have super bad insomnia, but I sleep really well in the cold so!! I HAD ENERGY!! 4 solid hours!! Is this what normal people feel like!!!
- The baby just STARES at me. All the time. And smiles.
- And wants my iPod. And my crackers. And fistfuls of my hair.
- I actually wasn’t online as much and I enjoyed that. Ha. I have grown old.
- On the way home, while logging my baggage, the flight-person was like, “Oh…are you flying alone? How old are you?”
- I’M TWENTY-FOUR.
The oldest two and I are all autistic so it’s like…EYE CONTACT. WHAT EYE CONTACT. We get along great.
I swear the littlest two’s smiles though.
I miss them so much.
I don’t have a lot of plans for September except vague shrieking.
I will blog again! I will hopefully draft a new book or edit something! I hate editing! Slay me now! I also have a lot of Stressful Things™ happening in my life right now, which is a struggle. But books make a good distraction. Also I have a vague and deliriously excellent hunch that we might be seeing a cover reveal for The Boy Who Steals Houses soon. Eeeeeeeep!