Look I’m never going to cease to be offended by how short the month of February is.
Every year I prepare myself and every year??? Pure betrayal. We’re now 2 full months into this year and I’ve accomplished NAUGHT and I blame this on February for no particular reason than it has hurt my feelings by being so short. *
Despite my trauma, I’m back with another #AmCurrently update which I’m using as my end-of-month recappy things now. I still haven’t quite decided how to tackle this year’s recaps despite forcing you all to vote last month. But I was a little tired of the average recap version last year so —> watch me do the same thing but slightly differently with more snack breaks.
You go, Cait, you smart thing.
No but really (!!) my point is hopefully to talk more about life so we can see I’m somewhat human (ugh) and plus write something a little shorter.
* Yes sometimes people call me overdramatic???? But they are wrong????
MY BOOK’S TWIN BROTHER ARRIVED WHICH FILLS ME WITH DEEP HAPPINESS.
(If you haven’t added A Thousand Perfect Notes on Goodreads then what are you doing.)
Last month I was lowkey freaking out over holding my book for the first time. This month = I held TWO. And now I can make the full butterfly which is obviously the reason the world is still spinning. I am pleased. So so pleased. Obviously these are still the ARC covers but I think the finished copies will do this too. Ergo you might need two.
This is not part of my evil world domination plans AT ALL.
97 DAYS TO GO UNTIL YOU MEET BECK AND AUGUST AND EVERY TRAGIC THING I PUT THEM THROUGH.
- GUESS WHAT I WAS READING LAST WEEK?!? Yes. This.
- Possibly for the last time and I just…
- I usually have two emotions: going very fast and being very hungry. So this range of feelings is overwhelming and I don’t even know what to do with myself.
- Now JUST IN CASE YOU WANT TO READ IT EARLY (!!) you can request it on Negalley UK!
- Also just going to leave this here:
- mOST reQUEStED.
- At some point I’ll calm down on fangirling over my own book, but I’m a book blogger ok?!? It’s very hard to change. Someday I will pat my pockets and find some author sensibility soon I’m sure.
- It was also in the Hachette Australia catalogue, which is pretty normal for a book, obviously. BUT YET SOMEHOW VERY EXCITING TO ME.
- Plus I’m next to Sandhya Famous Menon which is unreal.
- And I have a face woah.
- Also preorder links in case you haven’t yet because a rogue buffalo attacked your house recently and distracted you: Book Depository, Amazon, Booktopia.
- And I wrote my acknowledgements which made me realise this is, in fact, a real book.
- And no I don’t actually have any control over who gets ARCs so you have to submit requests to my publisher (Hachette UK) and I also only have two, so I might do a giveaway but also they’ll cry if the butterfly breaks so we’ll see.
- Also I am currently editing A Thing™ and I can’t wait to whisper-shout more about it at you.
Last month I said I was off for 3 weeks travelling + visiting my sister…Well I LIVE.
Which is actually surprising because travelling stressing me out about as much as eating a bowl full of bees. But my (oldest) sister just had her 4th baby and it is ridiculously adorable and cried when I held it but whatever. I would cry if I realised I’d been born into this family-line too.
- I used to live 5mins away from this gaggle of nieces/nephews, so…I REALLY MISS THEM. It was only 4 months since I saw them last but they all had the audacity to (a) grow taller and (b) develop sassy attitudes. I don’t know who they’re related to.
- My 5yo niece is an Intense Craft Wraith and if she didn’t have sticky tape in one hand, we assumed she wasn’t well.
- I got sticky-taped.
- Also I tried to colour a rainbow faerie picture for them and all the 2yo did was criticise my colour choices.
- I mean.
- We made ice cream.
- They ate my ice cream while it was still whipping in the ice cream maker.
- My new smol baby nephew puked on me and then had the nerve to later fall asleep on me hanging onto my shirt and I just??? I was trying to be mad here. How dare you be so cute.
- Every time he opens his eyes though, he looks so so 500% Done™ with the world.
- His faces range from (a) Why Do You Exist (b) Please Remove The Sun I Don’t Want It (c) If I Sleep Will This All Go Away.
- I also went to the library!!! Obviously the true reason I visited!! Who cares about family!!!
- I don’t have a library where I live now (I do nOT count 1 shelf of YA that I’ve already read as a library smh) and I borrowed 11 books here and got through almost all of them.
- And on the roadtrip home we visited another sister (3rd one of 4 one this time) (yes I have too many) and I stalked her library as well.
- So this was basically a library-crawl, and both beautiful and painful because I want a reAL LIBRARY IN MY OWN TOWN.
- I reviewed some of them here, so go see!
- Back to the terrible reality of only reading from my TBR pile. Which has, like noooooo books on it of course. Ha. #YesImLyingButLibrariesAreSpecialAndIMissItOk
- And by the time we got back after nearly the whole month away…boom.
- So I’m now 2 years behind on my TBR pile and if you can’t find me, I’m under all of this. So I guess I won’t whine about the library too much. (Except it’s excellent for backlist titles I didn’t get a chance to review early!? #Agony)
Anyway it was a good time and I miss these smol humans terribly.
ACTUAL CONVERSATIONS THAT HAPPENED
Me: I’m going home tomorrow.
2yo: No you can’t.
2yo: who will carry all my stuff
Me: Do you like your new baby brother?
2yo: *concentrates on eating her snack*
2yo: *sings 13 minute made up solo for me to listen to*
Me: *actually times it*
I somehow read 18 books this month even though I had child-shaped limpets hanging off me most of the time?!?
Amazing. Although for the first time ever I was actually behind on my Goodreads challenge. Either (a) my dark powers are crumbling around the edges or (b) I’m working on a lot of freaking fantastic OTHER THINGS that someday you will hear about. So. Let there’s that.
It’s weird to admit I can’t do EVERYTHING…but I will still try.
Some of these are from Allen & Unwin, Bloomsbury, Tor Teen, Walker Books, and various book boxes! Or bought by meeee with book vouchers and THANK YOU library sales again! And also my wonderful friend Danielle sent me two and I don’t deserve her wonderfulness. (Go see her bookstagram!! Rainbow heaven!)
FROM NETGALLEY OR EDELWEISS OR OVERDRIVE!
(That moment w hen you never get approvals and then you get all the approvals ahah haha. Oh n o.)
If you hover / scroll over these they’ll flip (aka — FLIP OUT which is what we all want to do) and you can see my mini-review and star rating! Click to go to the full review!
Okay fangirl moment, but The Foxhole Court was SO GOOD. It’s an indie series and I just couldn’t stop reading?! (They’re like less than a dollar on Amazon!) They’re messy and the writing isn’t perfect but…but the characters. I am here for complex characters that break and make you. It’s also super dark at times and just yes please. I also read them in all of a rush because I couldn’t stop.
I’M REALLY ADDICTED OK. DON’T SEND HELP.
SO, WHAT HAVE I BEEN UP TO?
- Besides visiting family….NOTHING.
- I cry a little. I weep a bit.
- This time last year I’d written 200,000 words already so here’s to hoping I actually get back into writing soon?! But so far I’m doing a lot of editing on Secret Projects™ which is as ridiculously exciting as you can imagine. This gets to be my job now . ohhhhh.
- But I do want to draft something new soon!!
- Anyway I have been obsessing over The Foxhole Court.
- And finishing my Red Rising series reread!!
- Now I’m starting to reread The Raven Cycle (AGAIN) because I have no life to speak of.
- Also doing a TON of unboxings on instagram, definitely go admire and if you’re keen to try any of them out, I also have discount codes!
- Boxes make me so happy. Deep inside, I am actually a box.
- I reached 20K on twitter! Which is both mind blowing and also terrifying because…pressure?! But if you’d all just buy my book pls and thx we’ll be great.
- Also the saga of my mammoth bookstagram background art project continues…slowly. Like a dead turtle. I’m dying a bit inside because I ran out of colours and have to wait A WEEK for new ones to arrive and I just. Why can’t I pick nice normal and small projects. Why am I like this.
- Onwards March! Let’s get many things done!