Although it’s against my standards to let anyone know I have a life…look! I’m doing a life update!
Actually I have a confession. I’m considering doing #AmCurrently posts instead of my usual monthly recaps. I KNOW. This seems wild. I’m not sold on it yet, so I’m going to have you vote because, DESPITE BEING A GENUINE NIGHT TERROR, I do want to write a blog that’s fun to read! So hold onto your apple snacks. Voting is at the end.
I just wanted to make things a little more personal around here?! But I might also go back to the usual recaps if everyone misses the old features.
Basically I’m having a blog-life-crisis and it’s only 27 days into the year. #Nice.
Anyhow. Let’s bite something and get to it!
LOOK I GOT TO HOLD MY BOOK FOR THE FIRST TIME!
(You can add A Thousand Perfect Notes on Goodreads!)
I’m just…I just…I actually have lost wORDS RIGHT NOW. Which probably isn’t comforting being an author and all, but shhh forget about that. Look my #1 dream in life has always been to have a book published. I’m actually HOLDING MY OWN BOOK. I know! It’s the ARC but…I just?!??
MY NAME IS ON THE FREAKING THING. I MIGHT CRY. I’VE WORKED 7 YEARS FOR THIS WITH 700 DOUBTS AND 7000 DREAMS AND WE NEED TO STOP WITH THE NUMBER 7 NOW BUT OMG.
- Nooo there wasn’t an official cover reveal because things got confused, but HERE IT IS NOW.
- Well this is the ARC cover, but you get the idea.
- My copy actually got lost in the mail and took nearly 5 weeks to arrive and I think I possibly had a breakdown knowing my child was out there crying in the snow.
- (THERE IS NO SNOW IN JANUARY IN AUSTRALIA. But I’m a good liar. Look! I made up a whole book.)
- Did you see my name is on it.
- DID YOU.
- DIDDDDD YOU.
- Also this is my only copy so no I can’t give you one haha.
- But if you’re in the UK, you can inquire with Hachette Children’s!! Good luck!
- Release date is 130 days away!
- Also you know what? Preordering is amazing. Preordering will increase the chances of you getting many Cait-books in the near future and oh wow. You want that.
- So feel free to sneak over to Book Depository or Amazon or Booktopia!
- LOVE YA.
- LOVE HOLDING THIS BOOK.
- LOVE EVERYTHING.
- (And yes one of these days I’ll figure out how to sound like a professional author and not a fangirl but…not today apparently.)
And yes, knowing people are reading it is simultaneously amazing and also freaking me out.
I’ve read a few reviews (shh I will NOT keep doing that I promise) and had several people told me they cried, someone said it pulled them from a book slump, and someone made an aesthetic for it?! I just!?? I’ve lived with my books in my head for so so long and now seeing other people reading my worlds — it’s absolutely mind blowingly surreal. Of course not everyone is going to love it (that is life!! I well know as a blogger!!) but this has been nice. So nice.
I need to sit down now.
Maybe cry. Ahh!
I’M GOING AWAY FOR MOST OF FEBRUARY.
Things might be a little scattered on the blog, but I’m trying to schedule posts ahead! And if you’ve hung around me a while (ugh I feel your pain) then you’ll probably know that I (a) hate travelling, and (b) haTE trAVELLING. But my oldest sister has had a baby and I love smol floppy humans more than I hate travelling.
So excuse me while I spiral into an anxiety-induced hole, but at least there is a new cute nephew to hold!!
HOW’S THE READING LIFE BEEN LATELY?! I’M GLAD YOU ASKED.
Because not good. AH. I know! I am that infamous person who reads so many books and writes all the reviews — but I’m still struggling to figure out the balance since I’m crawling into the #Author #Life now as well. Being swamped with edits (for another secret project!) is eating my delicate life.
No I’m NOT behind on my Goodreads goal of 200. (Yet omg I’m struggling.)
But also I’m NOT interested in stressing myself out over reading this year.
I’m going to read less
and hopefully panic about this less and try to remember no one is going to die (MAYBE?!?) if I am not the busiest reader we all know. Only my overambitious Slytherin soul is going to take a hit. Oomph. There I go. I’m wounded. Aghgh.
This is a HOT MESS OF A PILE but I’ll figure out organisation later. But some of these are ARCs (thanks Hot Keys, Allen & Unwin, Bloomsbury, Penguin, Tor Teen, and Macmillan!) and most of the rest are rewards for surviving 2018 BECAUSE I DESERVE THAT.
From Netgalley and Edelweiss!
If you hover / scroll over these they’ll flip (aka — FLIP OUT which is what we all want to do) and you can see my mini-review and star rating! Click to go to the full review!
This year hasn’t been astounding for reading?! But I’ve been STRESSED (lmao no one knows why; not with my ARCs slinking into the world) so that might have something to do with it. But my reread of the Red Rising books has been LIFE and The Cruel Prince (and probably The Wicker King) are going to set the bar so high for this year. So d e a d with love right now.
And I’m still SO TORN whether I should review books I didn’t like. Should I?!? Should I not?!?
SO, WHAT HAVE I BEEN UP TO?
- My smol sister is up visiting from Brisbane so she’s basically distracted me intensely for the last 2 months. Very rude. Very much stuff very not done.
- But in honour of her being up here we have been eating Netflix and working through these shows:
- Let no one say our tastes aren’t varied?! We also tried to watch Jessica Jones but OH HOLY EGG IT WAS SO BORING. And only up to Season 3 for Brooklyn Nine-Nine and it’s the dumbest show ever and I accidentally love it ugh. (I am Rosa.) And Stranger Things 1 & 2 are the most perfect gift to this world. We’re also really addicted to The Good Place, but don’t tell anyone.
- My twitter has been freaking wild lately. I had a tweet go genuinely viral at 72,000 likes!?? Holy heck. And I basically got 1,500 followers in a week. I’m…I’m a little overwhelmed by my own twitter and THERE’S SO MUCH PRESSURE. Haha. But please. If all these people buy my book I’ll be okay with that.
- I wore out my laptop keyboard. Again. Apple is asking if I’m ok and I’m really really thankful for things like warranty because nO I’M NOT OKAY.
- I have words to write.
- So many words.
- Actually speaking of words I’ve been: (A) editing a secret fantasy project that is my actual heartbeat and I’m so nervous and excited about it. (B) I’m supposed to be working on a contemporary novel, but HAHAHA no I’m developing my Stranger Things x Peter Pan x Jumunji story, The Misery Rules, which is very bloody and amazing. It also announced it was a duology. This is. so. rude. But I swear naming the characters has been the hardest part. There are infinite names in the world and yet I?? Can’t??? Decide??? I have 1.5 novels planned and no one is named.
- Editing this Secret Project™ has been tough. This is what my wall of the wildness ended up like and let me tell you…I still have no idea how to write a book.
- Also I should be doing my last read-through of A Thousand Perfect Notes. (Cue distant screaming.) Did I mention it actually SMELLS like a book?!? It does.
- This is unreal, peoples, who even am I.
- However I say “should be” because I read one chapter and go “WHY DID I USE THAT WORD THAT WAS A TERRIBLE CHOICE” and my sister takes it off me and says go chill out.
- She doth not know me.
- Oh! And this is like the most amount of likes I’ve ever gotten on Instagram though!! LOOK AT THAT.
- I’m drawing a background for my Bookstagram photos! Because I love rainbow backgrounds and I usually use a ton of A4 sheets I’ve coloured but it’s very annoying. All the corners always peek up and I never have enough. “So, Cait!” I thought. “What if I drew a whole poster board?!?”
- I can’t even count how many regrets I have. DO YOU SEE HOW BIG THIS IS?!?? It’s taken me 3 weeks to do the pencilling and now I have to pen —> then colour. It better look freaking amazing at the end is all I can say. (Also I copied these patterns so don’t go thinking I’m an artist haha. I’m just a very cute and very talented fake.)
- Also my family has procured and ice cream maker and we make sO MUCH ice cream. It’s all dairy / sugar free too so technically healthy so technically I can add unhealthy chocolate chips AND IT DOESN’T COUNT. #WinningAtLife
TIME TO TELL ME YOUR HEART AND SOUL.
Just kidding. Don’t tell me that much, that sounds absolutely terrifying. But let me hit you with a bunch of polls, so vote away! Also tell me in the comments if you’re VERY passionate about something. I’m not leaving till Monday so I’ll still be here at all hours to stalk what you say. (ISN’T THAT NICE?!)