WELL. It has definitely been one of those months.
Meaning I have frolicked from one bizarre escapade to a tiring one, then hopping over to a this-month-has-gone-on-forever-help-me feeling. For instance: I just spent 20mins trying to make a sINGLE CUP OF TEA. Because I started, realised I needed to do the washing. Did the washing. Came back and boiled water. Except I forgot to BOIL the water. So I waited 5mins for cold tea to steep.
Ah hhh hhhhhHHHHhhhhhh aghaighghgigh.
REGARDLESS. I am now writing this post (WITH HOT TEA, A TRIUMPH) and looking back at books I apparently read 3 weeks ago? But it honestly feels like 2 YEARS AGO?
I swear. September went forever.
Also I’m co-hosting a #bookstagram challenge for October!
Finn and I aren’t into Halloween but we are very much obsessed with Maggie Stiefvater. So we thought?! WHY NOT HOST OUR OWN CHALLENGE?! Self five. We are geniuses. So please do join us (for any amount of time!) and all the props are flexible so you don’t even have to have read anything by Stiefvater! Although you should. Because Stiefvater.
Now I always talk about A Thousand Perfect Notes here but guuuuesss what?!
I have Things to say about my second book today! The Boy Who Steals Houses!
Just in case you missed the news of it, this book is (A) NOT A SEQUEL, (B) it comes out April 4th 2019, and (C) when I kept whining “someone needs to edit this” that someone turned out to be me. Wow. I did not see that coming.
So I finished final edits!
I’m now staring at the document intensely in case any rogue typos want to turn themselves in. (Apparently there’s a typo in A Thousand Perfect Notes…yep. gIVE ME DEATH THANKS.) I didn’t actually think I was that dyslexic until I got started in publishing and my editor cautiously said, “Hey, so you know it’s flashback not backflash, right?”
Ah hahah. Yeah. I, um, knew that.
ANYWAY! So what’s next for The Boy Who Steals Houses?
- Now that I’ve done final edits —> it goes to copy editing stage!
- This means next time I see the file it’ll be all formatted to look like a REAL BOOK (cue freaking out!)
- I also need to think up a dedication…ATPN doesn’t have one because I hate dedications. Apparently I’m supposed to like people enough to dedicate books to them???? What the even.
- Also we will see a cover soon! (SAID CAIT LAST MONTH TOO. But look. Nothing is more uncertain than timelines in publishing. They work in another dimension.)
- And possibly ARCs will come around December! The best Christmas present oh wow.
Basically I actually had a really good time rereading! It’s a book that entirely has my heart.
I’m an utter sap for this book ok. So shhh have some sneaky snippets and I absolutely can’t wait for you to meet Sam and Avery in April!
My goal is always to read 18 books a month! Aaand…ok shh I’m 150 pages behind. But I will get there.
Preferably before, um, Monday.
I am finding it very difficult to read this year. Possibly because my attention is in 78 places and my mental health is in the trash. BUT ANYWAY. I may have counted my edit of TBWSH towards my Goodreads goal but who can blame me at this point. I am the cutest train wreck ever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
BOOKS BOUGHT vs REVIEW COPIES
Ok actually book box ones are on the left too (I AM DISORGANISED). I got Catwoman from @Illumicrate, Contagion from @GoScribbler, and Mirage from @Owlcrate! (It’s a good life being a rep omg.) And The Miseducation Of Cameron Post (SO EXCITED TO FINALLY READ THIS) and Legendary were my buys for the month!
Thank you to Hachette, Simon & Schuster, Walker Books and Allen & Unwin for the review copies!
The Rift ARC actually came covered in rocks which was awesome ah hahah. And oMG I have a finished paperback of Muse of Nightmares #dead. Also I have actually read What If It’s Us…but I’ve 100% forgotten it (yes I am that bad) so I’m going to reread! Still trying to fathom why the UK edition is so darn ugly when the US is so darn pretty but such is life of arguing continents, I assume?
FROM NETGALLEY OR LIBRARY
Sometimes I have THOUGHTS. This is shocking to me too.
- I’m actually counting down the days till October 20th when I fly back to visit my sister again!! Which means nephews and nieces! Library! Running up a mountain twice a day! Hoping her chickens don’t get mauled by a fox this time! Watching the 9month old baby speed crawl to destroy something!
- I very much miss them (we used to live 5mins away) so I’m glad to be going back again so soon.
- I’m going to be real with you (NERVOUS LAUGHTER) I actually haven’t been doing so well with my mental health. The move has, um, not helped. It’s been 1.5 years actually but still… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ THIS LITTLE EMOJI GUY IS A SYMBOL OF MY MENTAL BREAKDOWN AH AHHAHAH.
- I’ve also had a slew of really disappointing news + some intense writers’ block…
- And on top of that, I keep suggesting my mother buys cream for us to whip and eat by the mountain aND YET SHE WON’T.
- I also need way more cake to survive.
- I can’t even.
- Anyway! I’m clawing out of the writers’ block (tOOTH AND CLAW) and hoping to do a pre-NaNo book. Being away visiting my sister for most of November is kind of putting a damper on doing Nano. But it’ll be my 5th year! I don’t want to miss it! (Plus did you know The Boy Who Steals Houses is a NaNo book!?) Anyway, this project will be contemporary genderbent A Secret Garden retelling, and the aesthetic is so good ok. I’m in love.
- It will have a very grumpy boy, the softest mum-friend girl who will fight you, and a love interest who is so hyper they make coffee look demure. And it will have a garden. And there might be bodies. WHO KNOWS.
- I’ve also had a few frustrating internet encounters. Which have me gritting my teeth. Look, I just want to say: even if I have a big follower count, I’M STILL A PERSON! I mean, none of you are the issue (of course! I LOVE YOU ALL) but it’s frustrating, you know?!
- I had someone lecture me to stop reviewing autistic books because “I had no idea what it was like to live as an autistic”…I am autistic. What the even.
- I constantly have people replying stupid/snide things to my tweets. Like literally, if you DON’T like my tweets, unfollow me.
- People go out of their way to MESSAGE ME TO SAY THEY HATE BOOKS I LOVE. Why. Whyyyyyyy.
- I get a lot of people asking me things like “what’s a literary agent” and “can you help me get my book published” which…wow, am I tired. I am happy to talk to people about publishing bUT NOT when they have clearly never googled about it in their lives! I am not google! Research the thousands of helpful articles out there about literary agents and THEN COME ASK ME SOMETHING SPECIFIC.
- Oh and then there’s the people who get snappy/rude when I won’t send them free copies of my book. (I am??? not??? rich??? Also would like to make a living out of this…you know…so I can publish more books and hopefully support myself one day.)
- OK SORRY. All the rants! I’m done. I’m good. Now you know how much I doubly appreciate everyone who is actually nice to me and doesn’t care about my follower count. (SQUISHES YOU ALL HAPPILY.)
- I also wish to say that Sept/Oct seem PURELY DESIGNED to empty our wallets. Why are all the book releases coming out now?! I am broken. Not broke. BROKEN. I want to read everything!! afdjsakldfs.
- I also had a tweet go viral!! Which is exciting!
- I also hope to keep blogging while I’m away in October….but I know I don’t blog as much as I used to. I’m sorry!! But I’m literally on instagram constantly. So if you want small doses of me (tbh, a wiser idea) I highly recommend stalking my Stories. I do lots of writing updates + book news + make up funny book memes that make me laugh (I’m a tough crowd so this is good news) aaaaand basically am a dork. It is fun. Stalk me.