Various humans request I talk more about me. MEEEEE. This is partially nice (because of course you want to know more about your overlord’s glorious life) and partially terrifying (because I am an anxious pinecone and what should I say????). But I then I remembered, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I did an #AmCurrently post. AND IT WAS FUN. Then Liz @ Out of Coffee, Out of Mind tagged me for a get to know you tag, which also sounds fun.
With these two astonishing facts colliding, I decided:
- I should do a post about aaaaaall the glorious catastrophes that are happening in my skull.
- I should also mildly introduce myself (to the newbie followers! Hello, by the way. I like you all very much.)
- I should probably just shriek about things in general because it is pleasing to me.
I WILL DO IT ALL.
Except I will cheat? IT’S WHO I AM, BOB. I won’t do the tag in full (but you can see all the questions properly on Liz’s blog).
NAME: Cait (pronounced like “Kate” and even though this is the most common name in the world, only exactly 2% of humans I’ve encountered can even spell my name right, dangit).
OTHER TITLES: Mostly “your majesty” but I also answer to “cake” because it’s basically my name anyway.
OCCUPATION: Being fabulous. Raising an army so when my book is published I shall rise swiftly to fame and glory. Full-time writer. Etsy business owner. Freelance blogger. Thief in the night. Anxious creature of frequent disaster. Master of all villainy.
HAIR AND EYEBALLS: My hair is dark brown (not black, don’t even say it) and is Italian in spirit and my eyes are light brown. I, sadly, will not star in a YA novel with these eyeballs. Except they are sort of goldish as well as brown? So maybe I would be a side-character with wonderful entrancing eyes who DIES TRAGICALLY AND IS NEVER FORGOTTEN. #RIPFictionalCait
BEST FEATURE: My delightfully sharp elbows that are grand weapons.
RIGHTY OR LEFTY: Arrr me righty, mate.
SPORTS: Avoiding adulthood; training dragons; running for my life from said dragons when they’re in moods; also just plain running because I’m training for the apocalypse — ARE YOU????
FAVOURITE SHOW: Oh this is torture. I’ll say Supernatural (of course) and add in Agent Carter because Peggy is my superhero.
FAVOURITE COLOUR: Orange. It’s sunset orange, PEEEEETA.
FAVOURITE SONG: Silence. I LOVE SILENCE. Blissful silence oh, come to me darling. Ahem. But I also like The Hanging Tree sung by Jennifer Lawrence because a) Hunger Games obsession, and b) fabulously morbid.
FAVOURITE BOOKS: Darn this suffocatingly cruel question.
DREAM CAREER: Hermit. On a little island (with WiFi, duh). With an entire house of books. Each room would be a different genre, by the way. (The kitchen being fantasy because that’s the strength of my cooking skills.) I would be paid to read books, write reviews, and publish my fabulous novels.
WANT TO BE MARRIED: Ah, no thank you. (I have manners.) Somedays I need to introvert from my SELF.
BELIEVE IN GOD? Why yes. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT? If it’s a bookshelf, heck yes. ALIENS? I would like to think God didn’t put ALL his creativity into humans on earth. Because we are not the cleverest. HEAVEN AND HELL? Why yes, although I don’t necessarily think they’re like humans envision they will be. GHOSTS? Let’s just say my dog spends a lot of time barking at nothing and I generally insist that he’s protecting me from ghosts. YOURSELF? I’m fairly sure I exist. But not entirely. I could honestly be a very clever internet robot.
- That my TBR honestly grows when I’m not looking at it. THIS IS A PROBLEM OKAY?!? Last year I told myself “Minimise the ARCs! Don’t go on Netgalley! Focus on being on top of the TBR not squished underneath it HUZZAH!” And it worked. So what even happened this year??! WHO CAN KNOW. Every time I finish one book…4 more appear.
- But I so desperately want to read all the stories. It is this gargantuan suffocating NEED IN MY SOUL, OKAY?!?!? I want to read them all.
- I’m suddenly in love with my iPod/kindle/ereader. It’s very easy to curl up with my teeny tiny iPod when I’m very very tired instead of wrangling a disagreeable paperback.
- I’m thinking about how, the bigger my blog grows, the less room I seem to have for mistakes. Am I telling myself this? Is the internet telling me? But I’m notoriously scared I’ll miss greeting a new commenter and they’ll think I’m a snob. Big bloggers get labelled “snobs” SO OFTEN AND IT SCARES ME. I want to be friendly and welcoming and answer all the comments and visit back to all your blogs! But time is emphatically disagreeable to me at the moment. I love blogging SO SO MUCH, but I admit to being overwhelmed on occasion. It’s possible I just overthinking everything…
- I’ve been fretting a little over how my instagram (and blog) aren’t particularly aesthetically consistent. I arrange my photos different all. the. time. Somedays I use graphics. Somedays it’s photography. Somedays I go for minimalism, and other days I like the cluttered look. DOES THIS MATTER?
- I’M OVER THINKING EVERYTHING.
- Speaking of blogging…my STATS EXPLODED THE OTHER DAY. And I don’t even know what I did so I can repeat it?!? But I felt monstrously famous for like 3 days. Now I feel like a normal grape, don’t worry.
- I’m still limiting how much I read! WHICH IS HARD WORK. I’m only allowed to read 20 books per month. For my over-achieving brain, this is torture, but dudes, I need more time to edit and work my home business and, like, ART MAYBE. (I would art if I had the time.) But it is very hard not to compete against myself right now.
- Choosing which books to buy is ACTUALLY REALLY HARD. I’ve never had this problem??? Until I started freelancing at Boomerang Books and I get paid in book vouchers. (DREAMS. COME. TRUE.) For the first time in 21 years I can buy whichever books I want. (Like, 3 of them.) But…choosing??? Omg???? I have a mini-meltdown every time pay day comes. THIS IS WHY I SHOULDN’T BE ALLOWED TO ADULT.
I opened my Society6 store a few weeks back and…AM JUST SERIOUSLY ASTOUNDED BY THE RESPONSE. Cue freakish flailing! Because a) apparently people like my designs, and b) I have made many sales, and c) it is really really fun.
But figuring out how to do promos without sounding spammy on twitter and instagram? HAH AHAHAH….no. I have no idea. I’m horrible at advertising.
This is me advertising, basically: MY STUFF IS NICE ERGO GO BUY IT AND SUPPORT MY DREAMS OF GROWING UP TO BE A BOOKSHELF.
Sheesh, all advertising tips and tricks are welcome. Throw ’em at me.
Writing. Oh you precious little beast. My brain has taken it upon itself to turn into an Idea Factory. I have 10 ENTIRE NOVELS in my head waiting to be written. And remember that post I wrote about historical retellings I wish existed? HA. My brain took that as a personal invitation to invent more books. COMPLETE BOOKS. Plots. Characters. Tragedy. Muuuuurder. All the fun things.
I may explode with the need to write.
Or I might take off a week from blogging in early March and actually write.
Whichever option sounds less messy?
Here is the list of idea folders in my Scrivener:
Help me. I have drowned. Most of them even have full outlines written out now. AND I LOVE THEM ALL, THE PRECIOUS LITTLE FIENDS.
Top Currently Stewing Ideas Of Torturous Marvel:
- A Dystopian Mongolian Story: Which officially ended up as a pinterest board last night — which means it. is. happening. It is about world domination, tortured boys, girls who shoot things, vegemite and dragons (!!!!!!!) It’s very hard to find pictures to represent the cast, however, since they are all mixed-culture kids. Hmmph, pinterest, you fail me.
- A Story of Wanderlust: Basically yes please to this new novel (currently called The Minnow and the Moon) which is about a wanderlusting boy and a slightly psychotic girl who stabs at things.
- (WHY DO ALL MY BOOKS INVOLVE STABBING OR SHOOTING THINGS????????)
- I also want to re-write The Spider Queen. Badly want to re-write. And yes, you guessed it: it involves much stabbing of things. Assassins and Russian fantasy and the most complex romance I’ve ever written. “Why is it complex?” you ask. OH MY LITTLE PINEAPPLES. Everyone is secretly trying to kill everyone else but actually deciding they loooooove each other. #ItsComplicated It’s my most aesthetically pleasing pinterest board, by the way.
- And OF COURSE I’m finishing off edits for The Dead Boy and the Paper Cut! Which is up to chapter 16 (!!!!) on Wattpad. Over halfway, mortals! It’s basically a story of ghosts and library fines and cake. And stabbing. (Dangit. You knew I’d say that, didn’t you?)
Finding time to edit my Dead Boy has been monstrously difficult. This is mostly because I spend much time blogging and accidentally napping. I have the dragon secretaries on the matter, though. Either they’re locating me a time-turner OR they’re doing the editing for me. I suspect it is the last one because all my characters keep dying. SURELY THAT’S NOT MY DOING???? #innocent
Marvellous idea. Truly inspired.
Next up? To re-write The Spider Queen or start off a new first-draft. DECISIONS ARE TOO HARD. I’m going to go cake instead.