Happy August, fiendish writers!
It’s high time we discussed our characters’ appearances, isn’t it?! I see you all nodding there, which is excellent because today’s questions are entirely LOOKS THEMED.
Appearance tells a lot about your character. It also can affect your story a lot, so it’s important to have a good idea of what everyone looks like. Everything from clothes to hair-struggles to identity can give your readers a better grasp of your characters — and also make your characters more complex and relatable.
Or, in the case of evil queens: appearance gives your characters motivation for murder.
Hopefully that is the exception not the norm.
Ahem. Let’s move forward, shall we?
Beautiful People is a writing blog meme which I co-host with the marvellous Sky @ Further Up and Further. We post questions at the beginning of each month (generally around the 5th) that you can answer on your own blogs! It’s designed (A) to help you get to know your characters better, and (B) share with us about your writing projects!
OH! And the linkup is open all month. And check out our FAQ page for more details and to see the archives.
DON’T FORGET TO TAKE THE BUTTON!
Or link to this page so anyone can join in!
- Give a brief overview of their looks. (Include a photo if you want!)
- Share a snippet that involves description of their appearance.
- What is the first thing people might notice about them?
- What are their unique features? (Ex: freckles, big ears, birthmark, scars, etc.)
- How tall are they? What is their build (Ex: stocky, slender, petite, etc.)
- What is their posture like? How do they usually carry themselves?
- Your character has been seen on a “lazy day” (free from usual routine/expectations): what are they wearing and how do they look?
- Do they wear glasses, accessories, or jewelry on a regular basis? Do they have any article of clothing or accessory that could be considered their trademark?
- Have they ever been bullied or shamed because of their looks? Explain!
- Are they happy with how they look? If they could change anything about their appearance, what would it be?