If there’s two things I love in life, they are lists and lists within lists.
I have my love life in order, you know I do.
And as is common for this time of year, it’s time to talk about goals! I admit I actually really struggle to write goals because pressure. It’s like having someone look over your shoulder all the time…except it’s you looking over your own shoulder and that’s creepy for multiple reasons. But I digress! As I usually do!
But before I dive into my 2018 * goals, let’s do a quick recap of last year’s list. So basically this post is listastic and I’ll show myself out for being so badly punny.
* Why is it so weird typing that?! Does anyone else start a new year and go “HOLY HECK IT’S WEIRD TYPING THIS NEW DATE” for the next 11 months??? No? Just me? Ok.
- READ 200 BOOKS. ✓ I actually read 251 because I am an OVERACHIEVER and no one is surprised.
- RE-READ 10 BOOKS. ✓ I’m so proud but I actually did this!! I reread 22 books!
- REACH 40,000 FOLLOWERS ON #BOOKSTAGRAM. ✗ Ok well I do believe my original words were “LET ME DREAM” so I did dream. Then I fell over. But I’m at 36,000!
- DO COLLAB POSTS WITH OTHER BLOGGERS.✓ I did this! I actually did it!! I collabed with genre predictions and then with Mish and Daley.
- WRITE 2 BOOKS AND EDIT 2 BOOKS. ✓ This is so adorable at least 5 of us are laughing very hard into our popcorn right now. I actually wrote the most I’ve ever written in my life. I got down 1 MILLION WORDS, 7 drafts and 3 rewrites. Not to mention copy-editing my book A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES which you will get to eat in exactly. 6. more. months. AHHH. Also I broke my laptop keyboard. Twice. Also I’m very tired.
- WRITE A SEQUEL.✓ I ended up writing 3!
- GET SERIOUS ABOUT WRITING ADULT FANTASY. ✗ Okay so funny story…I was trying and then I realised my tone and style is just far too YA. So I’m just going to cry in this awkward corner because I’m too bloody for YA and too smol for adult.
- GET NEW PRODUCTS INTO MY ETSY STORE. ✗ LMAO I DIDN’T EVEN TRY.
- START A READING JOURNAL. ✗ I did but then, predictably it died about 3 months later. I ended up just keeping track of new book releases and my instagram challenges in it.
- UPGRADE MY IPOD. ✓ Oh I remember putting this on the list because I knew I was about to buy one 3 days later. Cait. You’re so fantastic and hopeless. I like ticking lists, ok.
- UPGRADE MY BRAIN. ✗ I mean…I wrote 1 million words. But I’m not sure if that’s an upgrade or a down??? I HAVEN’T SLEPT IN 7 MONTHS.
- CONTINUE QUEENSHIP. ✓ Heckin’ yes My book is about to infiltrate all your houses.
- BE A DRAGON BUT NOT BURN DOWN THE CONTINENTS MAYBE. ✗ No I failed. I’m sorry if I ate you. This was perhaps one of my most anxious/depressed years.
- READ LESS ARCS. ✗ Technically I read 114 library / bought books and 127 books from publishers so haha hahah. Mate.
7 achieved out of 14 isn’t…too…bad????
Haha haha. Oh dear.
- READ 200 BOOKS. I am nothing if not PREDICTABLE. Also, true story: I’m doing a lot of editing lately and less reading so I reeeally want to not overachieve this. Reading has been stressing me out a bit so: Cait. Calm down.
- DO EDITS ON MY 2019 NOVEL. Which you will someday read holy heck. My second novel honestly has my heart and I cannot frikkin wait to announce it.
- WRITE 4 NEW NOVELS & REWRITE 2 NOVELS. My goals should actually be “don’t write 1 million words cait you broke your laptop remember.” But yet here we are.
- WRITE A BOOK SLOWLY (AKA NOT IN 3 DAYS). This is actually a huge challenge okay!! I’m not sure if I can do it!! I write fast because I have 13% of an attention span and when I get into hyperfocus I’d rather just stay there. But it’s also really exhausting. So can I pretend to be mortal? Who can know.
- WRITE SOMETHING THAT SCARES ME. And by “scare” I don’t mean horror and blood (haha I can do that already), I mean write some risky things and some #ownvoices narratives for autism and mental illness. I want to write things that could be amazing if I don’t scuttle anxiously away.
- READ BACKLIST TITLES. My TBR hates me so trying to rekindle our relationship before it asks to move out.
- REREAD 30 BOOKS. I’m actually addicted to this rereading thing but this will be a challenge!
- DON’T STRESS ABOUT MY BOOK’S RELEASE IN JUNE. Ha haha HAHA Hahha hahahahahah.
- INCREASE MY RUNNING ROUTE TO 6 OR 7KMS. I currently do 5kms every day and it kills me but you always wanted a ghost blogger didn’t you? haha hah. I’m so punny.
- REVIVE MY ETSY STORE. Ah unrealistic expectations I see.
- REACH 20K ON TWITTER & 45K ON INSTAGRAM. This is actually hilarious but I can dream.
- NOT BREAK EVERYTHING I TOUCH. I literally break…so…many things. My headphones. My power cords. My laptop (TWICE THIS YEAR FROM TYPING 1 MILLION WORDS). My sanity. My shoes. If I break a mirror next, I want someone to come and pet me gently because I am not okay.
- MAYBE PLAY PIANO AGAIN. I miss playing! I haven’t practised properly in 3 years but I could start up again?!?
- WEAR MY NEW CLOAK. And rule darkly or something. I do have one. Be feared.
Honestly I think the take away from this is my #1 goal of the year is to SLOW DOWN which is hilarious. Most people want to achieve things for their goals and I need to chill out ah haha hahha. Anyway I do not plan to read my socks off this year so if you want to beat me –> this is your chance.