In a shocking turn of events, today I’m answering questions about books.
This is a topic I never broach, so try to keep calm.
And YES. This is a tag post! And I’m going to put it out there that I’m super bad at tags. This is partially because the same questions just repeat * and partially because I am a super slacker at fitting it in my schedule. And no don’t be ridiculous, I can’t change the schedule. Moons might fall from the sky and squash me and I won’t take that risk.
But I do actually love answering bookish questions!
So ignore the fact that I’m a huge life failure and go ahead and tag me. Also excuse me while I do like 50 tags in this post because I’m just that behind, and I’ll pick and throw questions around because I’m Loki and do what I want.
* MOST INVOLVING “WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK” WHICH GIVES ME HYPOTHERMIA TO TRY AND ANSWER.
1. FAVOURITE GENRE?
FANTASY. And I am quite fond of all kinds — from epic fantasy, to magical realism, to paranormal. Just please give me magic and knives and a little bit of murder.
2. PLOT YOU’VE ALWAYS WANTED WRITTEN BUT ISN’T PUBLISHED YET?
Excuse me while I’m monstrously PROUD OF THIS TWEET TOO. Also someone write me this or do I have to do everything myself.
3. WHAT ARE YOUR “TURN AWAY” TROPES?
There are soooo many tropes that absolutely wither my soul. Which is frightening because it was born withered to start with and you don’t want to see me reduced to the fine hue of an avocado. But I want to take a second to shout about HARMFUL tropes. Because they’re freaking annoying and even if you beat them back with a flyswat, they keep coming back.
Petition to never read these again:
- Love cures a mental illness or disability.
- When the character with a disability “overcomes it” in order to be accepted by others. (This happens so freaking much in Autism books I will just be mad.)
- Killing off ONLY minorities and nobody else.
- Using “OCD” as a descriptor for someone who’s neat. (That isn’t even what OCD is??? Seriously.)
- Girls having a make-over and suddenly “omg they’re beeeeautiful and 100 x better than they were before!!” (Girls are totally allowed to change and have makeovers. OBVIOUSLY. But it shouldn’t be a summary or increase of their worth.)
- Mocking feminine women.
- Books without cake.
4. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST ARC?
It was Hate Is Such a Strong Word by Sarah Ayoub in 2013, and I’M SERIOUSLY SO PROUD OF ME FOR REMEMBERING!! I have the actual worse memory honestly. I can’t remember the most basic things, like the year I was born, my street name, what type of animal my dog is, what book I just finished reading, and what a blog is.
5. WHAT WAS THE LAST LIE YOU TOLD?
I told my smol visiting niece she was blocking the view of my bookstagram photoshoot which is a LIE because obviously she is the view.
Does she seem related to me???? I think she seems related to me.
6. HOW TALL ARE YOU AND HOW TALL DO YOU WISH YOU WERE?
I am 5’1. I used to wish I was taller, but now I accept that I’m a good height for biting ankles.
7. WHAT IS ONE MOVEMENT YOU ARE REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT?
My legs honestly. I really like moving my legs. I go for a 5.5km run in the morning and a 2.5km walk in the afternoon every day and generally spring about the house in full battle armour between times. I also quite like the movement of my fingers because TYPING.
My least favourite movement is looking right. My neck was out for like 5 years and it’s fixed now but like, I’m not used to looking right.
So if you want to stab me, come at my right— WOOOOOAH. That was a massive typo. I have no weaknesses. I’m perfect.
8. WHAT IS THE BEST COMPLIMENT YOU’VE EVER RECEIVED?
Someone with a very very very important opinion said I made them cry with my book. Excellent.
9. NAME TWO WEIRD QUIRKS ABOUT YOURSELF.
(a) I have double jointed thumbs and they make my hands look like perhaps my parents were a spider and a nazgul. *
(b) I sometimes balance my iPod on my face while reading. I also sometimes can’t see the book because of this but that’s a difficulty I’m working to overcome by seeing through objects. Not, obviously, by quitting this weird habit.
* Can neither confirm nor deny in case a parental reads this. But if it’s true, it’d explain a lot about me.
10. NAME THE FIRST THING YOU SEE WHEN YOU LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD.
My bedroom mirror — which coincidentally is covered in POSTCARDS AND POSTERS! Because I hate mirrors! That’s way too much social interaction, okay? I have Penguin Postcards and the posters are Lord of Shadows and Lady Midnight. 10/10 enjoy staring at Emma and Julian drowning.
I’m aware that’s supposed to be a A Darker Shade of Magic book hugger…but why not a wall hugger? I’m letting it be its own person. And as nice as this is…if you remember my view before I moved house…well. [INSERT HOWLING]
11. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK QUOTE?
So I just finished reading Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine and it contained this gem:
“I think all homes should be stuffed with books.”
So much yes.
I also have infinite love for this one just because RONAN LYNCH and aesthetic writing:
“And Ronan was everything that was left: molten eyes and a smile made for war.”
12. NAME ONE TALENT YOU HAVE.
Sometimes I do a good job at breathing.
I’m also very very good at holding grudges, hence I will take this moment to remind my older sisters OF THE TIME THEY ATE MY WILLY WONKA CHOCOLATE 11 YEARS AGO. IT WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.
Thanks Ashley @ Bumbling About Books!
1. FAVOURITE UNDERRATED BOOK AND WHY?
I mean, I have absolutely 2 billion of these. But the most recent is Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz! It’s about a lonely island boy + queer magic fish + a tragic abused merboy and IT’S SO SWEET AND HEARTBREAKING AND I LOVE IT.
2. IF YOU COULD TELL A YOUNGER YOU ONE THING, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Dear Smol Me,
IT’S NOT A PASSING PHASE. YOU’RE GOING TO BE SO OBSESSED WITH THE RAVEN BOYS IT’LL TAKE OVER YOUR WHOLE INSTAGRAM FEED.
obsessed present me
3. WHAT WAS SOMETHING THAT YOU REMEMBER SPARKING YOUR LOVE OF READING?
Oh definitely goodreads. As soon as I learned you could set goals and have major competitions with yourself — BOOM. I’M THERE. I’m so competitive with me. You can literally motivate me to do anything with stickers, cake, stat charts, and the ability to do it faster next time.
4. UNPOPULAR BOOKISH OPINION YOU STAND BY?
RON AND HERMOINE MAKE A TERRIBLE COUPLE.
WHAT’S THE POINT OF BOOKISH-FLAVOURED CANDLES.
CAN THRONE OF GLASS JUST PLEASE NO.
I DON’T EVEN CARE ABOUT SIGNED BOOKS.
WHY ARE THERE NOT DRAGONS IN EVERY SINGLE BOOK.
AUTHORS CAN WRITE ABOUT BAD STUFF AND NOT BE BAD PEOPLE THEMSELVES.
1. NAME A BOOK WHERE YOUR SHIP SANK.
I won’t be specific because of spoilers but feel free to ask in the comments!
- The Grisha trilogy
- Ember in the Ashes
- Strange The Dreamer
- Game of Thrones
- Vicious (but I suppose there’s still time with the sequel…)
- Clockwork Angel
2. WORST ENDING EVER?
I have 70 books on my 1-star shelf on goodreads, so we’re just going to assume they all have rather sucky endings.
3. NAME THREE AUTO-BUY AUTHORS.
(a) Maggie Stiefvater
(b) VE Schwab
(c) Cassandra Clare
I’M SO PREDICTABLE IT’S AMAZING.
4. AN AUTHOR YOU LIKED BETTER AFTER THEIR SECOND BOOK?
This is such a fabulous question because I really like trying an author multiple times before I decide they’re not for me. Because sometimes their second book is way better for my tastes and I fall rapidly in love. I actually did a whole post on it, but who wants to go back and read that. Ha, not me.
So instead, here. Eat this nice visual illustration of my growing fondness for these authors.
This is why my TBR is ridiculous because I jut have to read everything.
5. WHAT BOOKISH WOULD WOULD YOU NOT WANT TO BE TELEPORTED TO?
All of them. Do you expect me to save the world??? I’m literally an INTJ and a Slytherin. I’d just let you all perish. 1/10 do not recommend putting me in a book.
6. WHAT CHARACTER’S SPECIAL POWER DO YOU WISH YOU HAD?
In the Clockwork Angel series, Will and Tessa sit there quoting WHOLE PASSAGES OF BOOKS at each other to show that (a) they have good memories, and (b) they’re pretentious. Amazing. I’d love to be able to do that. I’d settle for just remembering titles, to be honest.
7. DO YOU PREFER ARCS OR FINISHED COPIES AND WHY?
Um, obviously finished copies!! I know some people like to collect ARCs but if it’s not photogenic for bookstagram, I am shallow enough to admit I’m not super interested.
8. DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOBIAS?
- People who eat custard with their cake. Like it makes it soggy why are you doing this. Separate bowls, please.
- Running out of books to read literally keeps me awake at night despite having 93894 on my TBR right now.
- Touching like bugs or lizards or fish or anything that breathes. This is why I don’t be around humans.
- STICKERS ON BOOK COVERS, DANGIT JIM.
- The colour pink.
- My own handwriting terrifies me please make it stop.
- The entire of the movie Jumunji which I watched as a very small child and honestly is why I’m a traumatised adult.
- The word “phenomenon” because I can’t spell it.
- Series finales of all TV shows. Seriously. I don’t watch them. I just slowly get spoiled and am salty forevermore even though it’s my fault.
9. BIGGEST CHILDHOOD CRUSH?
One time I got body-slammed with a huge exercise bouncy ball and you can still find pieces of me on the footpath to this day. To say I was crushed is an understatement.
10. WHAT WAS THE LAST BOOK TO MAKE YOU CRY?
The one I wrote and am coincidentally editing right now but — I ACTUALLY HAVE EMOTIONS AND SURE IT WAS JUST 1 SINGLE TEAR BUT !! I HAVE !! EMOTIONS!!! Vague ones, but wow.