I pretend I’m a book blog, but we all know the real truth. I AM A FOODIE FICTION BLOG.
This is because I talk about books only to cover up how much I’m talking about food. And this is perfectly okay. Because food is life. And books are life. So the two of them combine monstrously admirably.
And while eating + reading = a glorious combination sent as a gift to us from the heavens — I want to talk about books about food. I call them FOODIE FICTION. It’s a thing. And even if it wasn’t a thing, I just said it was a thing, SO IT’S A THING BECAUSE WHO QUESTIONS ME? NO ONE, YOU FIENDISH PINEAPPLES. *
Today I have a list of books that are delightfully foodie and you should read them and eat the pages because they make you so hungry. And then: I have a quiz for you! Let’s test your knowledge by giving you foodie quotes from books and seeing if you know where they come from. **
* I even use food to refer to people. I insult in fruit. I welcome you to my blog by renaming you into a vegetable. Occasionally people misread my name and think it is “CAKE” instead of “Cait”. I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON AROUND HERE EITHER. JUST GO WITH IT.
** If this quiz sounds familiar, CONGRATULATIONS! You’ve stalked me for a whole year! Back in 2015 when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I did another foodie quiz. So consider this part 2.
- THE SCORPIO RACES: There is actually a distinct lack of foodliness in Puck’s life because #poor…but when she does eat the food descriptions will make you start gnawing on the cover. Plus cake. Apple cake, November cakes, tea and pastries…oh stahp. You’re hurting my soul with hunger.
- THE INCREDIBLE ADVENTURES OF CINNAMON GIRL: This is hugely centred around a girl whose mother runs a bakery, not to mention how much Alba loves cooking. Not to mention there’s food in the title. Say no more, I’m eating a cupcake. It’s a dying shame this book itself isn’t edible honestly.
- THE CROWN’S GAME: The first chapter starts off in a bakery. Is that not an entirely assuring sign that this book is going to have some delightful foodie moments? I think YES.
- SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA: Oreos. Literally oreos EVERYWHERE. Never have I read a book with so much oreo appreciation (never have I tasted an oreo either but shhhh…they look delicious).
- ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS: How do you feel about chocolate covered crepes? Because YES is what I see in your eyes. Plus there is copious amounts of French food because, hello. we’re in Paris.
- THE WRATH AND THE DAWN: Persian food. Pages and pages of it. Like most of the story is fuzzy to me now (it’s been a year since I read it) but I can remember the food descriptions CLEARLY BECAUSE I WAS SO HUNGRY. #priorities
- OUTRUN THE MOON: This involves a devastating earthquake and a girl who makes a kitchen out of nothing to feed people. Includes Italian food and Chinese food and it’s all delicious.
- THE SMELL OF OTHER PEOPLE’S HOUSES: And these houses, apparently, smell like food. Pie to be specific. There is a delicious mention of pie in this book and I think pie should be a priority in everyone’s life.
- THE FIRST THIRD: I have one thing to say: Greek food. So. much. Greek food. You will actually be packing your bag and moving to the Mediterranean before you finish chapter one.
- TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEFORE: Cake! Baking! Cookies! Cupcakes! IT’S SO DELICIOUS I FELL IN LOVE.
- SIX OF CROWS: All I need to say is WAFFLES. And also cake. Nina is a cake-hoarding-dragon (actual quote from the sequel) so WHAT MORE IS THERE TO SAY? GO READ THIS.
- IVORY AND BONE: Look, I get it, we’re not all obsessed with cake (weird) so if you’re more after the Paleos, then here let me introduce you to THE STONE AGE. The food in here still seems delicious with cooked meats and honey!
- DEATHLESS: Hello Russian folklore and so much food at the beginning you will be buying a companion Russian cookery book.
- RUINED: All I need to say is there is a boy with a severe appreciation for cheese bread. CHEESE BREAD BEFORE ROMANCE, YES.
- SWEETLY: This is a Hansel and Gretel retelling so it involves a magical sweet shop and a dubious baker.
- MAGIC BITTER MAGIC SWEET: Another Hansel and Gretel x Gingerbread man retelling! And I actually confess I didn’t love this book because #SoConfused but the food was still divine. Magical cakes. MAGICAL CAKES.
- FISH OUT OF WATER: This is a super cute contemporary that involves much Japanese and Indian food and it involves me feeling very hungry but yet happy.
Since this is like a teeny tiny sampling (LIKE EATING A MINI CUPCAKE WHICH IS ROBBERY BY THE WAY) I shall leave you with my goodreads shelf for Foodie Fiction. Also an excellent reminder you should be following me on Goodreads because why would you want to miss out on the gift to the world that is me???
Time to test your foodie fiction knowledge!
NOTE: not all the books in this quiz will be the ones mentioned above! I will sneak in some others too because I gotta make life difficult for you. It’s who I am. (You can also find a direct link to the quiz here if it doesn’t show up below.) THIS SHOULD BE A HARD QUIZ SO WOOO. GO FOR IT!
May the odds be ever in your flavour!