“Hello, Cait, did you just randomly go missing?”
Why yes I did, thank you for (A) noticing and (B) asking and (C) caring so much and feeling like your world was falling apart without my frequently hilarious and astoundingly wonderful blog posts to look forward to each day. BUT I’M BACK NOW! LIFE CAN GO ON! I took a small hiatus (what was it? 10 days?) to write another book. As you do. But more on that in my life section of this post. BECAUSE HUZZAH RECAP TIME! (I won’t deny, I really love writing recaps. So much news to share!)
Also: I am actually being MALICIOUSLY DEVOURED by the size of my TBR pile right now. It’s ridiculous. I don’t even know where half these books come from — THEY JUST TURN UP AND GLARE AT ME UNTIL I READ THEM. So I’m either going to (A) name July my Reading All The Things month, or (B) run away howling.
Both? Both is good.
ACQUIRED WITH OWN DRAGON COINS
(AKA my freelance book vouchers; omg I love being paid in books)
- THE TRIALS OF APOLLO: Because Riordan obviously.
- THE SHOCK OF THE FALL: It’s absout schziophrenia which I’m avidly researching for reasons.
- THE MIRROR KING (#2): This is an absolute beast in size. Vigilante medieval Batmans and stabby princesses. #goodtimes
- NEVER EVER: I have a huge infatuation with Peter Pan retellings. I perhaps own 5 now.
- SOLDIER (#3): I thought this was a trilogy….apparently it’s not? OH WELL, MORE DRAGONS FOR ME.
- THE INVISIBLE LIBRARY: Because libraries. I need no other reason.
- LAMENT: Can you believe I don’t own all the Stiefvater books?! I KNOW. SHEESH. I’m actually really annoyed you can’t get these ones in hardcover though. My collection = unmatched now. SOBS. I read this years ago, but now I will reread. BECAUSE STIEFVATER. ★★★★★
REVIEW COPIES AND ARCS
(thanks to Bloomsbury, Allen & Unwin, Hachette, Walker Books, and Hot Keys!)
The publishers apparently really love me this month. I LOVE YOU TOO EVEN IF I’M DROWNING HERE. (I only requested one of these…I may hire my dog to help out with their consuming.)
- HOLD ME LIKE A BREATH: I’ve heard horrendous things about this one but, wickedly, that’s just making me more eager to read it.
- THE MEMORY BOOK: I wanted to read this one SO SO SO BAD!!! And then it turned up as a surprise in the mail?!? MY LIFE IS MARVELLOUS.
- THE LOOSE ENDS LIST: I wanted to read this because = lists. (Even though I’ve since read my friends’ reviews and am dutifully concerned.)
- BURNING: Okay this one sounds really good and weird?! It’s about Juvie and some creeptastic kid who comes to murder everyone I believe. Well. That’s exciting.
- DRAGONFLY SONG: I mean, go read the blurb. I don’t even know what’s happening in this book. NOT A CLUE. Apparently there are bushes and bull kings???
- THESE SHALLOW GRAVES: Well, dude, dig the graves DEEPER THAN, omg, do you want zombies all over the place?! (I actually have no idea if this is a zombie story. I think it’s a period mystery.)
- FORGETTING FOSTER: I believe this is about child abuse? I THINK I’M GONNA CRY.
- SOPHIE SOMEONE: Apparently it’s a mystery! FUN TIMES AHEAD.
- GIRL OUT OF WATER: The cover is SUSPICIOUSLY identical to Flirty Dancing. Hello designers??? Please talk with each other.
- THE LAST GOOD DAY OF THE YEAR: And it wins the award for most depressing title ever, oh dear. I hope they have a good last day???? Cake maybe????
- THE BONE QUEEN: Because I need more queens and bones in my life. I have 0% idea what this is about BUT I ASSUME DEAD THINGS AND STABBING.
- LOCK AND MORI: I have seriously wanted to read this forever. Sherlock retelling! SHERLOCK RETELLING.
- THE THINGS I DIDN’T SAY: Because Aussie books! And also because it’s about mutism which greatly fascinates me because talking is overrated. I would much rather type, personally, so I foresee this book and I being good friends.
- MAGIC BITTER MAGIC SWEET: BECAUSE MAGICAL BAKING OKAY?!?!? This one is from Edelweiss!
- THE RED FAIRY BOOK: I’m in the process of researching Koschei the Deathless for A RUSSIAN RETELLING I’M GONNA WRITE. Also this ebook was free in the public domain.
- BLOOD BULLETS AND BONES: In case I need to kill someone….HAHAHHAH JUST KIDDING. Ahem. I’m interested in forensic things so yay for the approval on Edelweiss.
// click the photos to visit my Instagram account //
I’M NEARLY AT 10,000 FOLLOWERS OMG HOW DID THIS HAPPEN SOMEONE HOLD ME I SHALL SHRIEK WITH JOYFUL GLEE.
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
I definitely did NOT have an excellent reading month. SAD FACE TO ME. Although I did get stuck into the Death Note mangas (I blame Brett) but, while the first 5 were amazing, it just zoomed downhill, unfortunately. STILL. MANGA IS COOL. I AM A MANGA FAN. I WILL TRY MORE.
N U M B E R R E A D?
B E S T B O O KS?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
- What Does a Book Blogger Actually Do?
- Who Is the Intended Audience for YA Books (And Does It Even Matter?)
- 2016 YA Releases You’ll Want To Trade Your Spleen For (Immediately)
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “the weak get eaten wallpaper” — Frst of all, I would like to know what kind of house you live in that the wallpaper is so hungry, and secondly, do you need the Winchesters to come save you??? Because I don’t think this is normal.
- “throne of glass hate” — And you found my blog? SIT DOWN, FRIEND, LET’S HAVE CAKE AND TEA.
- “is too much reading bad” — Absolutely. Once you start, it’s VERY hard to stop. You start thinking for yourself, developing your brain, etc. etc. UGH. It’s all horrible. Just don’t read. Be safe instead.
- “why are hipsters scared of the sherlock fandom?” — Because hispters can’t LIKE popular things and Sherlock is so popular AND FUN, ergo, it’s terrifying because hipsters can’t betray their hipness by liking it. You see the trial here??
- “killing characters makes me sad” — Kill a few more. You’ll get used to it. WAIT WAIT I MEAN, OH DEAR. THIS IS SAD. POOR YOU.
- “gabriel or annalise” — What even is this question. IT IS 10000% #TEAMGABRIEL
- “books for teenagers without romance or death” — Excuse me but what do you even want to read about???? What is left?????
- “is acotar steamy” — You might say that. It could also fair to be steam cleaned quite honestly.
- “aperfury.com” — I AM NOTE AN APE. HOW DARE YOU. THE FURY IS COMING NOW.
- “books that influence bad behaviour” — All of them really. The other day I read a dragon book, so I turned into a dragon rudely at all the cake in my house. If I wasn’t a bookworm this never would’ve happened.
- “please tell me the story of a beautiful mermaid” — NO. I mean, you did ask nicely, but I’m still feeling disagreeable after being called an ape.
- “i can’t relate to adults” — Me neither. They’re the oddest creatures. I try to interact with them only occasionally but mostly my crayons and cupcakes and picture books and I stay in my pillow fort.
- “i am an adult but i love reading ya novels” — Take out the “but” and put in “and”. You have no problems.
- “john green we were liars” — HE DIDN’T WRITE THAT BOOK. E LOCKHART DID.
- “con that begins with con artist giving you books to read” — Please someone write this book immediately then give it to me.
IT’S FREE SHIPPING UNTIL THE 4TH OF JULY ON #SOCIETY6!
This means you can build pillow forts! Or have a bookish mug for every day of the week! Honestly the possibilities are endless. But do pop over to my Society6 store and see my latest designs! Like them. Drool over them. Pin them. All the good stuff. (You’re the best, I like your face.)
(CLIKE PHOTOS TO GO TO THEIR PAGES)
I actually don’t have as much news this month…GASP. Someone has not been paying attention to to the internets. (Spoiler: it’s me.)
A U T H O R S
- The Star Touched Queen’s sequel (A Crown of Wishes) has a COVER and it’s PRETTY.
- Jay Kristoff explains how the Australian government is kindly destroying the Australian book industry. I am all the rage, truly.
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- Did you know The Girl With All the Gifts is A MOVIE???!?!? Because I didn’t. The trailer is out and IT’S TERRIFYING AND I CAN’T WAIT. #ZombiesFTW
B L O G G E R S
- Emily @ Loony Literate wrote a list of books and suggested genre changes. Like what if Harry Potter was a contemporary? Or The Fault in Our Stars was dystopian? BASICALLY I COULDN’T STOP LAUGHING. THIS IS GENIUS.
- Liselle @ Lunch Time Librarian talks about writing diversity as a person of colour and she makes some incredible points. Best post ever basically.
- Charnell @ Reviews From a Bookworm basically MADE MY LIFE with this post about why she likes my blog. LIKE I’M LAUGHING AND CRYING OH MY GOSH. <3
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction asks if celibacy shaming in YA is a thing. Aaaand she talks about the perils of managing a large blog AND I RELATED TO THAT POST A LOT.
- Amanda @ Nellie & Co talks about blogger burnout and how to combat it.
- Marie @ Drizzle And Hurricane has a list of tips for newbie bloggers!
.@AmieKaufman and I plotted most of ILLUMINAE 3 driving around the US on Spring tour. Writing it now. This book is going to destroy you
— Jay Kristoff (@misterkristoff) June 23, 2016
- SO YEAH I AM THE WRITER OF 20 BOOKS NOW. WHICH IS KIND OF HUGE. I only need to write 2 more and I have one for every year of my life. Which is, obviously, #goals.
- Last weekend I wrote my YA Van Gogh retelling! It ended up as 78,000-words in 4 days. AND NO I DID NOT BLOG ABOUT IT. #shame But I do have a spectacular moody pinterest board which you can go admire. The truth is: it was horribly hard to write. It’s a mental illness story and while I don’t push myself to get things perfect in 1st drafts…I still felt the pressure. I FAILED AT THE PRESSURE. It will need so much editing I’m currently leaving it alone in a corner to see if it fixes itself. That’s logical, shhh.
- The #1 reason I disappeared without a trace is because (A) it’s totally mysterious and one must be mysterious occasionally; and (B) I totally just wanted to reappear and say “HEY BY THE WAY I WROTE 20 BOOKS IN THE LAST 7 YEARS”.
- I have my priorities in order clearly.
- Actually I have zero priorities and that is why my TBR pile is going to fall on my head and kill me presently.
- But at least I die having written 20 books!
- I KNOW I KEEP SAYING IT, I’M JUST KIND OF HAPPY OKAY LET ME HAVE THIS MOMENT.
- ALSO! I wrote a list of ALL THE NEW RELEASES I want to read in the upcoming months. The list is gargantuan. I’m going to die. Whyyyyy are they all coming out in September?!?! #help
- Here are some super cute photos of my dog Atticus for you to admire. He’s still monstrously evil and monstrously adorable. And he’s terrible at making sandwiches for me while I’m binge-writing. Absolutely useless. All he’s good is for cuddling. Sheesh.
- I’M GOING TO WRITE AN ADULT EPIC FANTASY. YEAH I DON’T KNOW WHAT I’M THINKING EITHER. But it’s going to be amazing. Behold the pinterest board if you dare.
- Also if you’re not following me on twitter, you’re missing out because I’m hilarious.
- This post is rather monstrously long. Blame it on my lack of blogging recently and my heartfelt need to tell you all the things. But I shall shush now. I SHALL. I shall take my overactive brain off and let it create more dastardly story ideas that I have no time to write. FARE THEE WELL!