WELL THEN. This has been an interesting month.
I say “interesting” so I don’t say “completely shriekingly stressful” because there were some excellent things! OF WHICH I WILL SHARE, DON’T FRET. But before we move onto this
mammothly gargantuanly ginormous nice recap I will remind you that….
…there’s only 1 day left to enter all the blogversary giveaways!!
So do jump over there clicky click all the things. It’s exhausting being 5 years old, honestly. I need a nap and also apple cake.
Also I’m super excited to have read 100 books for this year! MY GOALS ARE ON TRACK.
I usually buy 4 books per month (heeeeey freelance book voucher payment!) but this month I splurged because THE RAVEN KING OBVIOUSLY. Hardcovers give life.
- THE RAVEN KING: IT WAS JUST BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL AND I HAVE 9 EMOTIONS ABOUT IT AND OF COURSE IT’S 5 FEELS SHATTERING STARS. ★★★★★
- DESOLATION (Demon Road #2): Okay but WHAT deal has Derek Landy made with which demon to be publishing books like 5 months apart???? IS THIS GUY HUMAN????
- PRINCE OF THORNS: Apparently this about evil villains and stabbing and I’m in.
- THE ROSE AND THE DAGGER (The Wrath and the Dawn #2): Come to me beautiful Persian folklore finale.
- THE ACCIDENT SEASON: I read this one last year but am in love with it and needed it in my clammy paws. ★★★★★
- THE WELL OF ASCENSION & THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER: Both only 50cents at my library sale! Squeeeee! Let’s forgive the fact that TWOA is falling apart and Perks has the movie cover which is ew.
These are ARCs/review-copies and library books. Apparently the publishers said “LET’S GIVE CAIT ALL THE BOOKS THIS MONTH, I’M SURE IT WON’T KILL HER”. I mean. Thank you. But also. #dead (All of these except like TWO are unsolicited.)
- WHEN MICHAEL MET MINA: Look out for something especially exciting happening around this book. IN JULY. Giveaways might be imminent. (Thanks to Pan Macmillan!)
- RUINED: This book is glorious and one of my favourites of the year!! (Thanks Allen & Unwin) ★★★★★
- THE SMELL OF OTHER PEOPLE’S HOUSES: This is also a new favourite. I sniffed it, too, because NATURALLY. (Thanks Allen & Unwin!) ★★★★★
- WITH MALICE: This book, I suspect, has anger issues. Should be exciting! (Thanks Allen & Unwin)
- THE PAIN, MY MOTHER, SIR TIFFY, CYBER BOY, AND ME: This title is rather ridiculous. #sorrynotsorry But anyway, we’ll give it a go! (Thanks Scholastic!)
- THE BOOK OF PEARL: No clue what this is! A book I suspect! (Thanks Walker Books!)
- BREATHING UNDER WATER: That sounds like a terrible idea, title, please don’t do it. (Thanks Hachette!) Also this book came gift wrapped so 50 points to
GryffindorHachette for making me feel SPECIAL.
- THE MONSTROUS CHILD: This is possibly actually my biography but we shall see. (Thanks Bloomsbury!)
- FOLLOW ME: This is about the youtuber Ricky Dillon??? Who I know nothing about???? But he looks like the extra of extroverts and that’s freaking me out a little. #introvertproblems
- ONE WOULD THINK THE DEEP: Yayyy Clare Zorn! Fantastic Aussie YA author! I BE THE EXCITE.
- FRANKIE: Another Aussie author. I’m like hopeless at keeping up with Aussie books. BUT LOOK AT ME GO. (Library)
- AIR AWAKENS: Everyone and their aunt’s fish has read this??? I need to clearly???? (Library)
- WAY DOWN DARK: I kept seeing Kelly and Brett raving about it on twitter so KABOOM. I libraried it.
- TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEFORE: Again, who hasn’t read this?? EXCEPT ME CLEARLY. So here we go. I hope it lives up to the hype! (Library)
- DEATH NOTE: I have developed a manga addiction and I’M NOT EVEN SORRY. I’ve read 4 of these in like 2 weeks, which is unheared of for me with series. It usually takes me 19 years to read series. Sheesh.
- THE LEAVING: I was flailing a lot over this one (thanks Bloomsbury) because I have a book I want to write that sounds similar. Comparative title? I think yes.
- THE UNEXPECTED EVERYTHING: I’m so so delighted with this surprise (thanks Simon & Schuster!) and my 5yo nephew unwrapped it for me and said, “Oh Cait you’ll like this one it has DOGS.” He knows what’s up.
- AND I DARKEN: Impulse netgalley request. I have no regrets.
- DEAD AND BREAKFAST: This is a review ecopy from the author and AHHH LOOK AT THAT TITLE. Does that book not practically sing my name? (Yes, yes it does.)
- SCYTHE: I am so so excited I got approved on Edelweiss for this. BECAUSE HELLO NEAL FREAKING FANTASTIC SHUSTERMAN.
I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE TOO MANY BOOKS. THE TBR IS EYEING ME THREATENINGLY.
// click the photos to visit my Instagram account //
And I’m like 30 followers away from reaching 8K!! AHHHHHH
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
N U M B E R R E A D?
B E S T B O O KS?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
- 10 DreadFul Things That Will Happen If You Read Too Much
- 5 Types of Series Finales And Why We Probably Dread Them
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “how many fangirls are there in the world” — I suspect maybe eight…NO. MAYBE NINE.
- “i forget the main points while writing” — literally my entire writing life, peoples. I give characters multiple names because I can’t remember what I originally called them. What’s the point of my book? WHO KNOWS. IT’S A SURPRISE FOR ALL OF US.
- “have you even snuck your dog into your college library” — Um, well, no I haven’t. But thanks for that startling good idea. I shall do so.
- “what should all people learn as a child but some overlook” — A true and vivacious love for dragons. My 5yo nephew informed me yesterday that he didn’t like dragons and I HAVE FAILED AS AN AUNT. DON’T BE LIKE THIS. DON’T OVERLOOK DRAGONS WHILE RAISING SMALL CHILDREN.
- “want to know about kookaburra bird” — All you need to know is this one thing. Pay attention now…RUN AWAY.
- “how long does it take to write stories that don’t suck?” — I suspect several eternities. Hence it is highly recommended writers also search for immortality, because you’ll need the extra dozen lives to figure this stuff out. Editing ages you, mate.
- “there shouldn.t ;kill” — Yes. Yes good job, my friend. There SHOULDN’T kill. Keep up this thinking.
- “how to stop being a bookworm” — Die probably.
- “rhys and feyre pregnant fanfic” — Please no. Why are you even on my blog??? I adamantly dislike this series.
- “explain the ideas about forgetting writer” — I CAN’T BECAUSE I FORGOT.
- “why is lady midnight so annoying” — Why are YOU so annoying, don’t you mean. Sheesh.
- “why am i such a fangirl” — because you have your priorities in order and I highly approve. Keep at it.
I have a few new designs up on Society6 but not that many because I AM A SLACKER AND WAS EATEN BY EDITING THIS MONTH. #fail (Anyway. All these designs ALL come in mugs, totes, carry pouches, laptop skins…etc.)
(Click the pictures to go straight to the listing page)
Also it’s FREE SHIPPING if you use this link right here!! Ends June 5th!
I have so. much. NEWS today…be prepared for an enormous mountain of links! (But this is like an entire month’s worths so you’ll forgive me.)
A U T H O R S
- VE Schwab reveals the cover from A CONJURING OF LIGHT and I have 9 emotions about it. No, 10 EMOTIONS. And they are all FANGIRLING SHRIEKS. #aminlove
- I wasn’t interested in John Corey Whaley’s new book Highly Illogical Behaviour until I READ THIS AMAZING ARTICLE. There will be no “fixing” of mental illnesses here. Can we cheer now?!?
- Dan Brown is rewriting The Da Vinci Code
because he has no new book ideasso that teenagers will understand it better. Because teenagers are so dumb, obviously.
- The Raven King hit the bestseller list. AS IT SHOULD. Congratulations to Maggie Stiefvater!!
- Veronica Roth talks about her anxiety and this is SUCH an excellent article. It really puts into perspective how terrifying fandoms should be and that we need ALWAYS remember that there is a person behind the book.
- Here are 11 author awkward-moment-horror-stories THAT ARE GLORIOUS and will make you feel much better about any awkward things you’ve done.
- CASSANDRA CLARE IS WRITING 3 MORE BOOKS FOR MAGNUS BANE!!! My favourite glittery warlock!! AHHHHH. I am so so so so excited.
- Jay Kristoff and Aime Kaufman announced a BRAND NEW sci-fi trilogy that’ll probably ruin our lives and we can’t wait.
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- The Anna Dressed in Blood movie has actors cast.
- Apparently they’re turning The Boxcar Children into animated films and EXCUSE ME WHILE I SHRIEK HAPPINESS! There is my childhood!
- Agent Carter has been cancelled. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD.
- The first teaser trailer for Emma Watson’s Beauty and the Beast is here. We see like 0.3 seconds worth Emma Watson’s nose and a rose and it’s all very exciting.
- The Dead House is being made into a TV series! I haven’t read this one but I won it and I 100% want to. (Also, FYI this is my literary agent who made the deal. #fangirling)
- Ruta Sepetys book Between Shades of Grey is being made into a movie??? I DIDN’T KNOW THIS. But look! Filming photo!
- THERE WILL BE A BLACK WIDOW MOVIE. I REPEAT. BLACK. WIDOW. MOVIE. (Although, seriously, I’ll believe it when I see it.)
- Look! Alice in Wonderland clothing! Someone please get me a Mad Hatter’s Hat immediately.
- Guess who’s tweet got featured on the Barnes & Noble blog? SPOILER. IT WAS MEEEEEE.
B L O G G E R S
- Melissa @ Quill Pen Writer has some gloriously sensible things to say about world building in writing.
- Amanda @ Nellie & Co has some sage advice for if you’ve chosen the wrong niche for your blog.
- Emily @ Loony Literate lists 10 warning signs that you might be an bookstagram addict. (I am guilty, folks.)
- Inge & Aly @ Of Wonderland are BACK! (Or just arrived?) With their gorgeous new blog. Go say hello!
- Brianna @ Story Port has tips to gain your first 1000 followers on twitter!
- Abbie @ Abbiee’s Music Blog talks about feeling good about your writing.
- Jess @ Such a Novel Idea recommended my blog and IS SO NICE. #fangirling
- Aentee @ Read At Midnight tells you why you should stop apologising all the time and I thoroughly agree.
- @ Luna’s Little Library I won 1st place for their awards for Best International Blogger SO YEAH THAT WAS A SURPRISE AND MADE MY DAY.
THERE WAS THIS TIME I WENT “VIRAL” ON TWITTER.
(Shhh I’m calling it viral. This is like….so so so exciting. AHH. AHH. AHHHHHHH.)
And then VE Schwab actually retweeted me so I’ll be over here dyyyyying.
I’m famous, Bob.
- May was like super super stressful for me. I think my brain melted and died possibly six times. Here’s to hoping June is more tolerable.
- I FINISHED EDITING ANOTHER BOOK. HUZZAH. HUZZAH. This is the dragon novel of NaNoWriMo 2015 and it is like 67% rubbish still. Yet I’m a little proud of how it’s grown. Or shrunk. I cut 10,000 words out and it’s only 55,000 all up now. #oops
- BUT YAY THAT IS IS FINISHED. FINISHING EDITING IS SUCH A GLORIOUS AND FULFILLING MOMENT.
- And, ehm, no this one will not be available for you to read for now. SORRY.
- (But another one WILL BE SOON. I PROMISE.)
- My story The Dead Boy and the Paper Cut is going to be FEATURED ON WATTPAD. SCREAMING. JUST SCREAMING. This happens on the 17th, I believe. And I’ve had an enormous amount of comments telling me how much they’re enjoying my story. And, perhaps this is just needy, but it’s really encouraging and motivating. Honestly if you know a writer — DON’T FORGET TO TELL THEM THEY’RE DOING A GOOD JOB OCCASIONALLY. Writing is so mentally exhausting. We writer creatures need petting and frequent acres of cake.
- I’m considering going on hiatus again at the end of June to write another book. CONSIDERING. Because writing is exhausting, Bob my friend. If so, I will tackle a Van Gogh retelling with a delusional protagonist, paintings of foxes, people who may or may not exist, misty moors settings, and a little screaming sound of someone in the distance LOOSING THEIR MIND. (Oh wait. That’d be me.) Hahaha. No no, I’m fine. I SWEAR, I’M FINE.
- Also: my TBR fell and killed me, basically. This is my ghost typing.
- Seriously. I need to NOT get anymore books for the next 4 months.
- (But I’m so so so addicted to Death Note manga it’s actually quite scary. I scoured my library for the next volumes and did not leave until I had them. #obsessed The worst part is the protagonist is a psychopath YET I LOVE HIM.)
- Has anyone else noticed their instagram stats going down???? Mine have basically HALVED. It feels ridiculous to have 7,000+ followers and get 400 likes. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME, INSTAGRAM. DON’T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE.
- But at least I’ve hit the 50% mark on my Goodreads Reading Challenge! 100 BOOKS HELLO HELLO.
- Anyway! I’ve had a lot of emotional thumps this month, but also a lot of encouraging and gargantuanly NICE things have happened. To which I thank you, mortals of the internet! You keep this blogger munching cake and writing ludicrous things.