So it’s nearly NOVEMBER which means NOVEL WRITING TIME!
I mean, when it comes to me…any time is novel writing time. This is possibly my 4th novel of the year. BUT SHHH. These things accidentally happen. Anyway, I love NaNoWriMo with the hundreds (maybe even thousands?) of us all howling simultaneously while we write like mad fiends. #creativity
And, yes, I will be taking a miniscular hiatus. But (A) it will only be for 3 or 4 days so deep calming breaths, you can do this, and (B) the next edition of Beautiful Books will go up in my absence. SO LOOK OUT FOR IT! and (C) heck yes I’ll be on twitter and if you want snippets just say PLEASE. It’s like my life at this point.
I’m totally not obsessed.
BOUGHT WITH DRAGON COINS
aka my freelance book vouchers + one book from last month that went MISSING IN ACTION omg the panic but it’s here now
- VASSA IN THE NIGHT: Russian folklore is MY FAVOURITE. This book is absolute nonsense and it’s bizarre and weird as anything…and I loved it. ★★★★✩
- THE EDGE OF GONE: Starring an Autistic girl?! BLESS THIS BOOK. It’s so so hard to find ASD girl representation in YA.
- WE ARE THE ANTS: Literally every. single. one of my goodreads friends has given this 4 or 5 stars. Do I need to read it? YES. (Plus I want to read more books by boy narrators.)
- THREE DARK CROWNS: Psychopathic royal sisters. I’m so ready for this.
- PS I STILL LOVE YOU: Excuse me while I am a sap. But the first book (To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before) left me an absolutely emotional onion and I NEEDED THE SEQUEL SO BAD.
- THE SONG OF ACHILLES: I’ve been warned my heart will be ripped out. Bring it.
REVIEW COPIES AND ARCS
(thanks to Penguin, Bloomsbury, Scholastic, and the author!)
- THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR: My second attempt at this author did…not go well. Possibly worse than the first time. BUT AT LEAST I TRIED. So much instalove and ridiculous coincidences. ★★✩✩✩
- A MOST MAGICAL GIRL: I wanted to like this?? But it was quite boring and unreasonable. #SadNoises ★★✩✩✩
- THE FEVER CODE: This was such an exciting surprise! I love this series! I HAVE QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS.
- THE GRACES: Almost everyone I know didn’t like this?? But I loved it??? WHAT IS THIS LIFE. This book is witchy and weird and beautiful. ★★★★✩
- ROSEBLOOD: Omggggg I CANNOT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT LEVELS RIGHT NOW. This is a Phantom of the Opera retelling (which I’ve always been obsessed with) by one of my top favourite authors of ever. AND she sent me this ARC herself and it’s signed to meeeeeee. And basically this is the most exciting ARC thing that has ever happened to me IN ALL MY BLOGGING DAYS. <3 <3
- WHEN MR. DOG BITES and JERK CALIFORNIA: So I decided I wanted to learn more about Tourettes Syndrome. HELLO TO THESE BOOKS. I seriously grabbed these on a library whim because my TBR isn’t ridiculous enough as is. Hahhaah. Of course not.
- SEVEN BLACK DIAMONDS: Do I need creepy faerie books in my life? Yes.
I just reached 17,000 followers on Instagram which KINDA MAKES MY DAY.
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
N U M B E R R E A D?
B E S T B O O KS?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “kill your tbr” — Well that’s a violent way to handle the situation, but hey, if you want to instigate a Hunger Games for your TBR so they fight to the death over who will be your next read then…well. It’s a viable option.
- “negative points about a bookworm” — sometimes your arms get tired and you drop a book on your face and if it’s a hardcover there’s an 84% chance YOU’LL DIE. But don’t be weak. Come back as a ghost. Haunt a library. Keep reading. There are no negative points you can’t overcome.
- “papewrfury” — Yews? What cawn I do fowr yowu?
- “beautiful writing by person” — Like, I don’t want to be in your face, but is this “person” perhaps…ME?
- “why do we fangirl” — WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO??
- “people who didnot like six of crows” — FIGHT ME. Haha…I’m just kidding. But you don’t get waffles, so aren’t you sad?
- “paperfury the wrath and the dawn” — Someone is very specifically stalking my opinions. I LIKE YOU, GOOD SIR.
- “life lesson about being overlooked” — Keep collecting books, get them in a huge pile, stand on it, shout “I AM THE CONQUEROR” and none can overlook you again. Like, they literally can’t. You’re blocking the view now.
- “throne of glass series overrated” — Well, yes. Shall we be friends?
- “how to care for a bookworm” — bring them snacks and books. That’s like the quick ‘n’ easy how-to guide and I suggest you follow it avidly. Chocolatey snacks. WHAT OTHER KIND OF SNACKS ARE THERE.
- “love interest free ya books” — Oh you can buy them. They’re on the same aisle as chemical and gluten free ya books, right next to the vegan and organic ones.
- “who read more fantasy boys or girls” — Me.
- “glittering image” — I’m sorry but I haven’t posted a selfie so this image is just sadly not available.
- “i don’t like to read ya books anymore” — That’s okay. Not all of us can be awesome.
- “fangirling over people who don’t even know you” — This is literally the entire job description of fangirls.
FREE SHIPPING ON SOCIETY6 THIS WEEKEND!!
This is an excellent time to buy yourself a NaNoWriMo pre-reward. Or start stocking up on Christmas gifts because you knooooooow that time of year is coming. Plus if you support my store you’ll fund my evil plans of world domination AND I KNOW YOU WANT THAT. (Just kidding: I’ll be able to do more giveaways around here.) (But also world rulership.) Ahem. Freeeeeee shipping! MAKE USE OF THIS!!
Plus I have some new book-themed designs!
(CLIKE PHOTOS TO GO TO THEIR PAGES)
All news I have garnered from across the globe.
A U T H O R S
- The Hate U Give comes out February and you can see the cover and an excerpt here!
- Don’t let being dead stop you, TOLKIEN IS COMING OUT WITH A NEW BOOK.
- Ransom Riggs is writing a new Miss Peregrine’s trilogy.
- Veronica Roth gives us an update on the last Divergent movie to basically say she has no clue what’s going on either. Thanks.
- The most MASSIVE congrats to (one of my favourite authors ever) Leigh Bardugo who got a 7-figure deal for an adult series about a con-artist. SO EXCITED.
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- #WeNeedDiverseBooks is getting an app. This is awesome. I need a phone so I can use it.
- There will be 5 Fantastic Beasts movies….because JK Rowling & Co cannot move on or find anything new to create.
- Brandon Sanderson’s Cosmere books are being adapted into movies. He’s predicted to make millions.
- Netflix is creating a Anne of Green Gables series and they’ve cast Anne Shirley.
- Epic Reads HATES US because look at his list of 2017 books???? That I need???? RIGHT NOW??? OMG SO BEAUTIFUL.
- I don’t know about you but I am FREAKING EXCITED about Pirates of the Caribbean 5 teaser trailer. I’m obsessed with pirates. Not sorry.
- LOOOOOK. TEASER TRAILER FOR A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. Coming out January Friday the 13th which is awesome for aesthetic purposes and also awesome because it’s the day after my birthday. Present to me. Bless you Netflix.
B L O G G E R S
- Brianna @ Story Port has advice on how to tell if you have too many characters. (I say kill ’em all off. Her post is a lot more logical though.)
- I saw Yeldah @b_bibliophile tweeting these GORGEOUS editions of A Series of Unfortunate Events from Juniper Books and I just afjdaksdla I want so badly.
- Abbiee @ Abbiee’s Music Blog talks about what to do when you run out of book content.
- Katie @ A Writer’s Faith says don’t be scared, you should give NaNo a try.
- Alison @ Alison’s Wonderland Recipes made little Poe coffin pizzas!! I REALLY WANT A DEAD PIZZA!!
- Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight asks if a sunk ship can sink a book?
- Liz @ Out of Coffee, Out of Time talks about writing as a career.
- Laura @ Boats Against the Current asks why some books take so long to read.
- Emily @ Loony Literate made GALACTIC DONUTS in honour of Gemina so basically this is my favourite post on the internet.
LEIGH BARDUGO AKA THE QUEEN SPOKE TO ME. EXCUSE ME WHILE I FLAIL.
@PaperFury thank you, Cait!
— Leigh Bardughost 👻 (@LBardugo) October 3, 2016
- I’m writing a genderbent Goldilocks retelling for NaNo! Because…why, Cait? I have no idea. My brain worries me sometime. Least to say it’s going to be a happy book which will no doubt destroy me because how does one write books without killing all characters?? #confused You can read more about it here.
I’m pretty nervous and insecure about writing this book. I have no idea what I’m doing. Save me.
- Somehow I got 100 followers IN ONE WEEK. This is absolutely mind-blowing. Like this doesn’t ever happen to me???!! My blog count always creeps up slower than an immobile carrot. SO LET ME TAKE A MOMENT TO FEEL PLEASED. I don’t know what I did. Please don’t all run away once you realise what you signed up for. I know it’s madness aruond here, but I’m nice. I SWEAR. (67% of the time, I’m nice, at least. I take breaks for snack and biannual evil.)
- Feel free to say HELLO if you’re new! I will give you welcome cake (it’s a thing) and refer to you as a vegetable and we’ll be great friends. I’m not scary I promise.
- Also Evernot approved of my NaNoWriMo tweet. AN APP LIKES ME.
- Just quietly mentining the fact that Samantha Shannon retweeted me. SAMANTHA SHANNON. SUPER FAMOUS AUTHOR. SO YEAH THAT HAPPENED.
- But you know…life isn’t all sprinkles and chocolate cupcakes. I’m also being plaigarised again. By the same girl who stole from me last time. Like at first I thought…you know maybe she doesn’t know better? Maybe it’s a geniuine mistake? I confronted her. She never spoke to me but did delete her blog. Okay! Sorted, right? WRONG. SHE’S BACK. STEALING POSTS OFF MY BLOG AND GOODREADS. Okay now I bring legal hellfire, you fiend, you asked for it. I’m mad right now, super mad. (Note: this is also just devastatingly disappointing….please never take what’s not yours. It sucks for the artist who works hard.)
- And I don’t want to link to the above blog because I don’t want to drive traffic there. But if anyone has tips/advice on how to go about dealing with this: PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Talking did not work.
- Okay so onto happier things!!
- LOOK AT MY CUTE PUPPY’S FACE. He walked into my room, saw I was taking #bookstagram photos, and he gives me this 10000% done face. Like, thanks for the support, Atticus. You don’t deserve your literary name.
- I’ve been adulting aloooooone this month too. Well, I have sisters here and there, but sister can be useless creatures unless they’re cooking me good food. For instance: when it comes to making dinner, my little sister made meat and vegetables. I made a chocolate brownie. Who’s holding this household together in absence of our parents????? ME.
- Oh oh and just quickly? I have to beg you to go read The Serpent King. IT’S SO UNDERATED AND SO GOOD. I actually teared up. If something is making this Vulcan cry — you need in on it.
- And in absence of Gemina in my life, I’m re-reading llluminae via the audio. It’s actually really cool! Despite not having all the visuals artwork of the phsyical format. I also am playing it on 2x the speed because they’re talking soooo slooooooooow. But other than that. YAY PAIN. LOVE IT FOR THE SECOND TIME. Plus it just played classical music while people were murdered because so many psychos. I love this book. It’s also hurting me. Again.
- Anyway…wish me luck writing my NaNoWriMo novel. I shall see you at the end of the week, fiends! TRIUMPHANT. Or in tears because why am I writing a contemporary. Someone get me cake and common sense immediately.