What’s that overexcited puddle in the corner? OH, THAT WOULD BE ME.
This is because so. much. happened in September I don’t even know where to START. Actually I totally know where to start, with the important thing: I ATE THE MOST DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS IN IT AND —
Oh wait wait wait. That wasn’t supposed to be the first thing I mentioned. I mean, it is worth saying because deliciousness. But we should actually focus on things like, um, blogging and books since I do pretend to be a book blog. (When we all know I’m half a cup away from being a foodie blog.)
But anyway. The excited (BOOK) facts of the month are:
- I read some excellent books and I AM SO PLEASED.
- I also wrote a book and AM ALSO PLEASED ABOUT THAT.
- I took a hiatus, hence my blog has been a little quiet.
- I interacted with not one, not even two, but instead — TWO AND A HALF — famous people on twitter and it made me monstrously happy and also a total flailing wreck. GOOD TIMES.
- Also…CROOKED KINGDOM!! CROOKED KINGDOM!!! CROOKED KINGDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So let’s get on with this post of gloriousness, shall we? All lifey news about me (the important stuff, obviously) is at the end. And YES. This post will be long. My recaps always are. But they’re (A) so fun to write, and (B) I apparently just can’t shut up. I appreciate so so much everyone who takes the to read/comment. YOU’RE MY FAVOURITE. Honest. I squeak most happily at every comment, you don’t even know. I’m an excitable puddle when it comes to blogging.
Now let’s get this party started!
BOUGHT WITH MY DRAGON COINS
(Except for Crooked Kingdom which is a review-copy but it wanted to be next to its friend Nevernight because BIRDS OF A FEATHER STICK TOGETHER!)
- NEVERNIGHT: Because hype, yes? (So so so soooo much hype.) I’ve heard it’s very dark and stabby which is just the kind of story I like.
- CROOKED KINGDOM: Like I mentioned, ahem, this is a review-copy. (Thank you Hachette!) BUT LOOK AT IT’S GORGEOUS MARVELLOUSNESS IN MY HANDS. It was wonderful. It was glorious. i WILL RAVE FOREVER AND YOU CAN’T SHUT ME UP. ★★★★★
- STEELHEART: So unfun story — I ordered this online and it shows up with the WRONG COVER. I wanted this cover very specifically. But turns out the site had the wrong ISBN number show and gargh gargh. WHATEVER. I love this story muchly. ★★★★★
- THE UNBOUND: Gotta grow my VE Schwab collection obviously.
- THE REPLACEMENT: Now for an actually fun story. I wanted to read this because it’s written by the critique partner of Maggie Stiefvater (aka my favourite author ever). SO LIKE I HAD TO READ THIS. Plus I got it for $3 at a secondhand store. Which helps me get through the trauma of its horrendous cover. Nunnnngh. I’m apparently having a cover crisis this week.
- AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES: I scored this for 50 cents at my library sale. Was I going to say no? OF COURSE NOT. It’s not my favourite John Green but I still like it! ★★★★✩
REVIEW COPIES AND LIBRARY HAUL
(thanks to Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Allen & Unwin, and Penguin Australia for the review copies)
My library bought a TON of new books and I may or may not have 16 other reserves…I regret everything and nothing all at once.
- [library] THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD: There is controversy around this? I DON’T KNOW WHY. BUT I WANT TO READ IT!
- [library] SWORD AND VERSE: This was like 80% kissing and 20% stabbing but yet I still liked it?!? (Weird.) The ship was adorable, though, and so many scarred tragic brave rebels. <33 ★★★★✩
- [library] ROCKS FALL EVERYONE DIES: So dramatic. SO DIRE. Ahem. This is like a magical realism about a magical villainous family. It wasn’t bad…but the protagonist needed to be smacked in the face with a potato. ★★★✩✩
- [library] ODD AND THE FROST GIANTS: Because everyone needs to read all the Neil Gaiman obviously. ★★★✩✩
- [library] THE GLASS ARROW: I kind of hated the author’s first book but pffft. I am all for multiple tries! Plus ARROWS. Love ’em.
- THE CALL: I have noooo clue what it’s about but thanks Scholastic! (I mean, I could read the blurb, but who has time for that?)
- SILVER IN THE BLOOD: A Dracula retelling, woooo! I appreciate that fact even if I didn’t adore the book #mybad Thankyou to Bloomsbury! ★★✩✩✩
- SWARM (Zeroes #2): I wasn’t a fan of Zeroes at all…but I got this surprise-review-copy so will I read it? OF COURSE. Thanks Allen & Unwin!
- HOLDING UP THE UNIVERSE: afkjdalsd I’m so happy this is in my hands I CANNOT EVEN. This is one of my highly anticipated books of the year! Whyyyy haven’t I read it yet? I don’t know. Am I ready to be DESTROYED??? (We’re talking about the author of All The Bright Places here, peoples.)
// click the photos to visit my Instagram account //
(Click covers to read the reviews!)
N U M B E R R E A D?
B E S T B O O KS?
W O R S T B O O K S?
D I S A P P P O I N T M E N T S?
G O O D S U R P R I S E S?
T O P P O S T S:
- What Should a Perfect Fairy Retelling Look Like?
- TV Shows To Watch When Your Weary Little Eyeballs Can’t Manage A Book
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
- “lunar chronicles skulduggery pleasant fanfic” — Wait. What.
- “personal response to sword of summer” — I do like to get very very personal in my reviews so I can, with great confidence say: IT WAS FREAKISHLY AMAZING GO READ IT THESE ARE MY PERSONAL EMOTIONS.
- “can you go crexy from reading too much info?” — yes, absolutely. Particularly if the info is about who truly invented cake. Woah that’s a rabbit hole you can go down forever. Not that I, ahem, would know of course…
- “my name is bruce bogtrotter, and i am a werewolf” — Now that is a direction I didn’t think Roald Dahl would go. But who am I to put people in a box? Go! Be free! Chocolate cake loving werewolf! (Also…wut.)
- “you should have loved her” — a phrase I often weep to my WiFi when it’s being slow and I think that’s due to lack of voiced affection. I take her too much for granted, precious WiFi. </3
- “why do young adult books always revolve around a love interest” — what else are they supposed to revolve around?? SHEESH, DON’T BE UNREASONABLE.
- “dislike shippy stuff” — this is very vague, my friend, but that’s okay because I often dislike shippy stuff too. Too much sailing, not enough forcing people to walk the plank. ARR ME HEARTIES.
- “i am a paper fury minion” — I LOVE THAT SOMEONE GOOGLED THIS BASICALLY. We need it on a tee-shirt.
- “cait, ruller of the world” — you know what’s up. I mean, apart from how to spell ruler but that’s okay. I ACCEPT YOU ANYWAY.
- “i can’t get passionate about my novel” — try tipping it in passionfruit. If it doesn’t work at least you will have delicious fruit to lick off your computer and also a messy experience to write about.
- “my character as the eighth sibling” — dude, being the 5th in a family is bad enough. You put chocolate in the fridge, it gets taken. I can’t imagine what being eight would be like??? You’d never get any chocolate in the first place???
- “fury” — hello. Tis I.
- “what happens when read too much and not sleeping too much” — your eyeballs fall out. But don’t be weak. It’s only a flesh wound.
- “cassandra clare is only in it for the money” — OMG DO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME SHE’S TRYING TO MAKE A CAREER OUT OF WRITING??? So she can eat and pay rent and live a nice life??? Like an engineer would or an architect or a teacher? DISGUSTING. How dare she. Writers should starve.
- “girls hate epic fantasy” — Now I don’t mean to be rude but: you, fiend, are a distasteful morsel of uneducated stupidity. Good day.
Do you have a #WritersLife mug ready for NaNoWriMo??
Because you need one from my Society6 Store. Just sayin’. It will help motivate you to write all the words. In fact you should buy one for a pre-reward and then one for an after-reward and it’s guaranteed to make your life 1000% better. (PS. These are available as pillows, tote bags, and laptop cases too.)
(CLIKE PHOTOS TO GO TO THEIR PAGES)
A U T H O R S
- Jennifer E. Smith’s next book, Windfall, is coming in 2017!
- Rainbow Rowell wants to write a sequel to Carry On. CAN WE HEAR A YES PLEASE!
- What’s happening with Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor since it did not come out this month as was promised. [CUE SOBBING] Well, Laini explains here.
- Disney is turning Rick Riordan’s mythology-retelling-style into a…franchise. So there will be dozens of authors writing in the Percy Jackson style/series (although not using Percy Jackson, I believe he’s still Riordan’s). YEAH DON’T KNOW HOW TO FEEL ABOUT THIS.
- Maggie Stiefvater does a post on writing people who are very different to you.
- Oh and Maggie Stiefvater also clarifies things about the Ronan-centred trilogy that she announced on twiter. (afdjkalsfdjalkdad)
- Jenny Han talks about why she wrote the 3rd Lara Jean book in secret. (I haven’t read this article because I’m waiting on book 2. But I’m sharing because I’M SO IN LOVE WITH THE FIRST BOOK I CAN’T EVEN.)
- Sara Raasch gives more info on her upcoming pirate series. SQUEEEEEEEE.
I N T E R N E T N E W S
- Take a look at the cast for the Wrinkle In Time Movie! (How did I not even know this was happening?!??)
- The Divergent cast says “NOPE” to the potential TV series…because, like, they get it — this franchise is dead. Time to be Elsa and let it goooooo.
- Here are some set photos of the Everything Everything movie starring Amandla Stenberg.
- Amandla Stenberg is now signed to the movie production of The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken! So apparently there is only ONE actor in Hollywood at the moment… (Don’t get me wrong, I think she’s awesome although I’ve only seen her as Rue. But seriously???? She’s in like THREE YA adaptions now. I got annoyed when they did this with Shailene Woodley too. Grr. Give more up-and-coming talented actors a chance too!!)
- You 10000% NEED to go watch this Aussie TV ad on diversity. And food. It’s hilarious and perfect.
- Hulu is adapting Throne of Glass into a TV series.
- The Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda movie has a DIRECTOR.
B L O G G E R S
- Aimee @ To The Barricade talks about the details in writing and how they’re important, dude.
- The Paperback Blog interviewed meeeeee, which is a stunningly interesting topic OF COURSE.
- Kristen @ She’s Novel talks about fast drafting which is a wonderful post because I fast draft too. WOOOT!
W A T C H
I feel really bad for John Green and all the pressure he’s under. He’s such a good author AND a good person and needs PROTECTING. Not hating on. The end.
- CROOKED KINGDOM RELEASED AND IT WAS MAGNIFICENT AND I AM SO HAPPY I CANNOT EVEN. I’ve had a fair few highly anticipated books fall flatter than a pancake run over by a water buffalo. But this?!? Ohhhhh, it was so so so so good. I’ll never stop flailing. NEVER. This cements the duology as my all-time-top-favourite-books-ever. I just … afjdklsadjakdl.
- Okay okay so FAMOUS people talked to me this month. Just so you know that now I’m like totally famous by association. Firstly Anna Banks (author of the Of Poseidon trilogy and upcoming Nemesis) retweeted me.
- And theeeeen I tweeted a snippet of my book and MEGAN JACOBSON (Aussie author of Yellow) said she loved my writing. LIKE I CAN’T EVEN.
- Also Buzzfeed shared my tweet ON THEIR ACTUAL BLOG. Which means my little puny tweet ended up with 1.1K favourites. And I just. I just. I JUST AFJDSKALDJAF AGAIN.
- And Penguin Random House retweeted me. SO. #famous
- Oh and Jodi Meadows. Did I mention her yet? NYT bestselling author….
- IS MY TWITTER ON POINT THIS MONTH OR WHAAAAAT?!? (This is the part where I get an insane attack of nerves and tweet stupid stuff. Thanks, brain.)
- And lastly (I PROMISE IT’S THE LAST) Dawn Kurtagich commented on my instagram! I didn’t even knooooow I was followed by authors, honestly. I haven’t read her book, The Dead House, yet, but I hear it’s AMAZING and also…she’s repped by the same agent as me. HAHHA. WE’RE LIKE SISTERS BASICALLY. (That makes no sense at all but shhh.) (And no, I’m pretty sure she doesn’t know who I am.) But still. I fangirl.
- And FYI I have two eyes.
- Instagram was very pleased to find this out.
- Okay so I’m officially exhausted. And will be socialising never again to recover. Just kidding hahhahaha. This is marvellous. I generally avoid talking to authors because how do I word. But I will be here being a sporadically psychotic fangirl if they reteweet me.
- Anyway. WHERE WAS I? Oh yeah. I wrote a book. You can catch up on all the glorious details (and snippets) over here. But basically it was 130,000 words in 6 days which is my best time yet and also nope nopity no I don’t want to edit this. I’m going to put it in a very dark cupboard and see if it edits itself. #sensible
- So now I’m just here. Stuck. Not sure what to write for NaNoWriMo. I have 934839 ideas. How do I choose between them???? Do I put them all in a small arena and let the fight to the death? Do I flip a coin? Do I go alphabetically? DO I JUST SCREAM??? It’s a quandary. I’m half a mind to write a post and let you all vote.
- So I’m plotting out a pirate book while I flounder about. Because obviously I need more ideas. It will be a Davy Jones retelling with heists, oceans, mostly-dead-people, and epic pirate ships. AND IT’S SOUNDING SO COOL I CANNOT EVEN. (Go view my pinterest board, fiends.)
- Also my puppy turns two this week. And you better believe I bought him a present and have been coaching him on appropriate behaviours for birthdays. That is (A) please do not bite the hand that gives you a liver “cupcake”; and (B) sit nicely while you get a haircut; and (C) don’t rip apart your toys ALL AT ONCE. (He’s a chronic toy-destroyer.) So far he’s getting up super early and is very excited. And by “excited” I mean he has 0% of a clue what I’m talking about. But whatever. MY LITTLE BABY DONE GROW’D UP.