In honour of my 5th blogversary, I feel we need to have a small teaparty and exchange chortling pleasantries.
Something I’ve been accused of (and am also mildly proud of) is the fact that I’m known as a friendly blogger. WELL GOOD. BECAUSE I WORK SUPER HARD AT THIS! Of course I have devious reasons behind it…aka — lowering your guard with my nice words and nice cake so you don’t realise when I maliciously take over the world; making sure you’ll buy my book if I get published someday; just general mind control…etc. etc.
(I am honest, at least?)
But as my blog grows, I feel like I talk to you all LESS because I want to talk to you ALL. Which is a sad side-effect of being fabulous, I suppose. #tragedy (But seriously now, I wish I had time to stalk your blogs as avidly as you support mine!! IT MEANS A LOT TO ME.) Ergo this post shall fix that! It’s ALL ABOUT YOU TODAY.
Here’s What We’re Going To Do:
- I’m going to tell you a bit about ME…in the form of a FAQ that no one asked for.
- Then you’re going to tell me a bit about YOU.
- And then from aaaall the comments, I shall pick a random winner to receive a Surprise Amazon eBook. (Don’t worry: I will check with you before I send it to make sure you haven’t read it yet!)
- We’ll also eat cake because OBVIOUSLY THAT IS WHAT WE’RE HERE TO DO. You can have tea too. Or coffee. Or hot chocolate. Or the blood of your enemies, I don’t know, mate, I’m not judging.
- THIS IS GONNA BE FUN. ISN’T THIS FUN? IT IS.
F A Q W I T H T H E F U R Y
(Even though it’s totally not an “FAQ” because nobody has even asked these. But you probably want to ask them, so I’m just getting ahead. You’re welcome. Never say I don’t do nice things.)
WHY DO YOU FREQUENTLY CALL US “PINEAPPLES”?
Excellent question that you did not ask, my friend. And I will explain! About 84.2% of my jokes are actually movie quotes or references to something. BECAUSE I’M A NERD. This one happens to be 50% a reference to the TV show Psych. But it’s also 50% because I like food and I was calling everyone “blueberry” and “squid”, but pineapple somehow prevailed above them.
WHAT IS WITH ALL THE CAKE?
Because it’s the secret to HAPPINESS and LIFE, obviously. And everyone likes cake, except for really really really sad people. Also — I am like the Pied Piper but with cake. So the Pied Caker.
HOW COME WE NEVER SEE YOUR FACE? DO YOU EVEN HAVE A FACE?
I am shy. (And yes it’s possible to be outgoing online and shy in real life!) When I look at a camera I feel my soul slowly being eaten away by the cavity of doom that is the lens. I forget joy and happiness and remember only dark doom. NO THIS IS NOT HYPERBOLIC. IT’S HOW I FEEL.
I might not have a face, but I definitely have two legs, so.
WELL CAN YOU AT LEAST TELL US SOME BORING AVERAGE FACTS TO MAKE UP FOR THE FACT THAT YOU DON’T HAVE A HEAD?
As you wish.
- I live in Australia, which is different to Austria actually because we have vegemite and they don’t.
- And NO the wildlife isn’t that bad here!! Don’t even worry about the snakes and spiders. The BIRD LIFE on the other hand…ugh. There was this time I got attacked by a kookaburra and it sliced my face. And also a butcher bird got into my sister’s chicken coop and killed a baby chicken.
- I have left the country! I went to China for 4 weeks when I was 16. It’s very loud. I may have had a breakdown once or twice but fried eggplant and rice is delicious.
- I actually started blogging to recount the afore mentioned trip.
- But then turned to books because — LITTLE BIT OBSESSED OVER HERE, FOLKS. I’M SURE IT’S HARD TO TELL.
- I’m 22.
- I have an anxiety (amongst other things) and I work from home because of this. This means = much time for books and blogging and writing because who needs sleep when you work for yourself????
- I named my dog Atticus because LITERARY NERD ALERT. But turns out he is a) neither kind nor b) clever. Naming #fail.
- I’m 5’1. Which means when the sky falls, I won’t die first.
- I’ve written 19 books in the last 6 years.
- I collect mugs because obviously that’s awesome.
- I’m much better at writing than speaking.
- If you met me in person, you would notice that I’m very VERY SHY. You would notice this because of the fact you would not meet me in person. Because I’m in training to be a hermit or Hobbit. I want my cave, my books, my magical world-controlling ring.
WHAT’S THE SECRET TO BOOK BLOGGING?
The secret is being wildly passionate about books. EASY. Also make people laugh. Also give them cake. Be consistent. Be professional and fun simultaneously. (Which means, have a nice clean looking blog and then yell at people that they’re pineapple faces in the actual posts.) Be nice. Attack them with friendship. Threaten their lives a little bit with dragon fire if they don’t be friends with you. Give away your time. Thank people. Stick at it. Also cake. Cake cake cake.
WHAT’S THE SECRET TO WRITING A SUCCESSFUL BOOK AND GETTING AN AGENT AND NOT HAVING A MENTAL BREAKDOWN IN THE PROCESS?
The boring answer is: Write so so so much and keep writing until your eyeballs hate you, because you get better and you learn more about yourself and your style after every book. Write about what interests you most. Research everything. Twice. But you’re probably still going to have the mental breakdown. Maybe two. Maybe nine. I AM JUST SAYIN’.
The true answer: SACRIFICES. EAT THE MOON DURING THE AUTUMN EQUINOX. CHOCOLATE IS A FOOD GROUP. PET A DRAGON. KILL YOUR DARLINGS.
WHAT KIND OF TEA ARE YOU DRINKING SINCE THIS IS A TEAPARTY AND EVERYTHING?
WHAT’S THE BEST AND WORST THING ABOUT BLOGGING?
BEST: Writing. I really love writing, especially about books which is my favourite topic EVER. Also getting instant reactions from various humans who visit my blog. I’M SORRY THAT’S SO SHALLOW. It’s intensely nice….since novel writing is like “work in silence for 9 years before getting feedback“. I also like the general pleased satisfaction that comes from making something pretty. Like a blog graphic. Or a bookish photo. I also like having space that is ALL MINE. My little internet queendom.
WORST: Hate comments. People telling me how to think/act or to change my opinion on a bookish topic. (Ummm…no?) People assuming I’m going to be a snob because I have a large audience. Stressing out over things I SHOULD NOT BE STRESSING OUT OVER!! Because I’m also an anxious perfectionist bean.
TELL US SOME ODD BOOKISH QUIRKS YOU HAVE. GO ON. TELL ALL. WE’RE DEMANDING HERE.
I can see that, sheesh. Who is behind these questions? WHAT IS THEIR PROBLEM? (Oh yeah…it’s me.)
- I organise my books by colour.
- This means that I’m more likely to tell you the colour of the book rather than the title/author. “You want an epic fantasy? YEAH LEMME GET YOU THIS GOOD BLUE ONE.”
- I rarely remember character’s names. It can be awkward.
- I buy books specifically because they’ll look nice on my #bookstagram.
- I’M NOT EVEN ASHAMED OF BEING A GINORMOUS FAN OF COVER-LOVE.
- Because technically we spend more time looking at books than reading them, right????
- Speaking of which: I spend an obscene amount of time choosing which book to read next. Curse you, gargantuan TBR and indecisive nature.
- Currently my TBR has 53 books on it. Excluding the dark depths of my kindle because LET’S NOT EVEN GO INTO THAT DARK UNCHARTED BEAST.
- I procrastinate books I know will give me FEEEEEELS because I don’t always like feeling things. #Vulcan
- I can’t read if everyone is being too noisy, dangit. I need my quiet.
- Good books require a) dragons, b) stabbing, c) witty banter, and d) at least one explosion.
- Dust jacket OFF while reading, always.
- The Hunger Games and The Scorpio Races got me started on YA. Coincidentally, those are two of my long-standing-forever-loved-authors.
- I prefer reading in 3rd person.
- Of course I sniff books…who doesn’t?!??
- 5 books I’m really looking forward to are: Gemina, A Conjuring of Light, Rose Blood, The Bastard Table, and Crooked Kingdom.
- I adore audiobooks….I’m probably a better auditory learner in that respect.
- My goal in life is to read all the books of ever. SO I’M LIVING FOREVER, BY THE WAY.
- I would also like to be a wildly famous book blogger and rule the world etc etc. Just the normal average ambitions, I’m sure. The world ruling IS HAPPENING RIGHT UNDER YOUR VERY NOSE. The army rises. The dragons bake. We’re getting ready.
Also GO HERE to enter all the giveaways!
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN, MY FINE FIENDS.
I have 3 questions to ask you. (Although you don’t have to answer them to win the ebook. Just comment = you’re in to win!) And feel free to just generally CHAT with me. Blogging is also about the bloggers and the community. And I might not have time to comment on every post you write, BUT I STILL WANT TO SHOW I APPRECIATE YOU.
My Questions For You:
- Your favourite kind of tea and cake?
- What are some of your dream blogging goals?
- What book do you currently NOT HAVE but you REALLY WANT TO HAVE?