And so a new decade begins!
And, as always, I get to launch into the new year with a list of goals. 🤗 I always manage to gloriously FAIL my goals each year (possibly because I never look back at the post after making it? not sure if that’s been the problem?), but I still love making the lists and thinking up glossy and shiny and ambitious dreams.
I don’t want to layer 2020 with too much pressure — but I really want this to be A Good Year™. To be perfectly blunt, 2019 sucked. 😂 I feel spread thin just thinking about it. I have lots of accomplishments to be proud of, but I have lots of things to heal from too. And I’m just trying so so hard to keep on. In all honesty, that’s the goal for 2020…to just keep on.
But I’ll also make a list because my bones say “do ittttttt“.
…you might also like…
➢ read 200 books again ✓
I DID IT. But it was excruciatingly hard this year and I can’t keep it up. 😭
➢ reread 30 books again…specifically all the Stiefvater and Cassandra Clare ✗
That’s a solid fail, my friends. I only reread 24 books, and didn’t even touch Stiefvater OR Clare’s whole backlist.
➢ write something that makes me immensely pleased. ✓
I ALSO DID THIS ONE AND I’M PROUD. Because way back in 2018, my goal was “write something that scares me” and okay — it took me 2 years to do it. But I did it. I wrote an adult urban fantasy, an absolute heart story, and it is wickedly dark and I’m so intensely in love with it.
➢ clear out ALL my overdue eARCs ✗
this was the dumbest pretend goal 😂😂😂 am wheezing. I didn’t even try.
➢ fix my blog and get BACK into blogging ✓✗
I claim half and half for this? I DID fix my blog!!! I did NOT get back into blogging. I lost a lot of my blogging enthusiasm after my blog broke, stopped sending emails, and basically torpedoed me into the dust. I went from 150 comments to 10 comments so I ended up shifting my hard work to instagram. But I have blogging PLANS and I’ll share them with you soon!!
➢ do more designs on Society6 ✗
I did…one. Oh. No, no I remember now…I did two. Incredible.
➢ pass 60,000 on instagram ✓
if the algorithm did indeed still eat my bones but I STILL DID THAT. 61,000 as we speak.
➢ sell another book ✗
I put this on my list in the first place with the caveat that it obviously isn’t something I can control, so it was a wish. It was a cute wish. It did not work. I am, in fact, further away from this goal than I was last year, so that’s impressive in a subtractive way. 👌🏻
➢ survive the release of The Boy Who Steals Houses ✓
I actually found a white eyebrow hair? I may be shedding my skin and turning into a ghost soon. But I’m still counting my life as survival, even if I aged 100 years.
➢ take a nap ✓
I took many naps 🥺It’s my favourite part-time hobby.
score = 5 / 10
I continue to be half baked. And I can’t even claim I tried because I didn’t. 😂 At least I’m adorable.
time for my 2020 goals…
- Read 150 books. (I’ve read 200 for 6 years in a row and I’m really sad to feel that era is over. But this year I want to focus on writing. I write slower now, and I want to be okay with that! But I also need more time.)
- Reread 20 books. (Look I really want to reread The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices this year so wish me luck.)
- Read more BIG books! (The 600+ page ones, the adult ones, the intimidating ones!)
- Revamp my blogging style. (Sounds ominous 😏but I’ll do a full blog post on my plans and get your input!)
- Write a sequel AND tackle a brand new first draft. (The first I’m dying for, the second I’m scared of…but have to do this!!)
- Hit 70,000 followers on instagram.
- Get new tools/props for my bookstagram. (I really need a tripod 😂And I’d also like a dark-fake-wooden mat!)
- Start slowly quitting ARC lists. (This worries me! Because I read more books than I can buy. But I have a library now and I have access to some online elibraries too. Also audible. So I don’t think I’ll bookishly starve. I just want to move away from being awkwardly stuck reviewing books I don’t like but am obligated to review since it’s an ARC!! Agh.)
- Fill my new empty bookshelves!
- Actually be okay with myself. (With going slower. With my mental health. With who I am and where I am in life.)
- Achieve a really big new goal that terrifies me. (That I’m cryptically not telling you about. But if it happens, I will tell you!!)
- Eat ice cream. Because I need something to tick off when the year ends okay.
This is a small list, a chill list, and maybe it’s not ambitious or surprising — but I’m happy with it! Aiming to tick them ALL off. 😌👌🏻Just watch.
And here’s to an excellent 2020 for ALL of us. (And I just ate ice cream so who’s really winning here!!!!)
what are your goals for 2020?!! how many books are you aiming for? do you like making big goals or soft achievable ones?
* and how many of us are typing “2002” 😑 because I am.