So I started off 2020…wildly.
I laugh so I don’t cry honestly. 😂 I haven’t even done a wrap up post since October last year, but you know what they say about time — it likes to fly and smack you in the face and get feathers in your mouth. (Go with this metaphor. It aptly describes my mental state also.) I am a little stressed by 2020 so far because it was going to be MY YEAR and so far it has been…not my year. But you know? I’m fine. 😌 I have read many good books, collected even more, and tried to be chill amongst the mess.
Things I’ve Been Up To:
- The most important thing here is that I have salted caramel chocolate in my possession and I am eating it and it is good.
- So the bad news? My dog, Atticus, got extremely sick this month. Actually, right on my birthday we took him to the vet for vomiting bile and…diagnosis came a week later (which really sucks because he might not have gotten so bad if the vet had diagnosed him on time) but he has pancreatitis and liver failure. He’s a small dog, it’s not uncommon. It is very horrible though, and very expensive to treat, and I basically just spent 2 weeks freaking out of my mind he was going to die. He ended up hospitalised for a while, on a drip and everything. But he’s home. 🥺 He’s recuperating slowly slowly. I bought him some toys for when he’s better and he STOLE them off my desk so I consider that a good sign. He’s on a strict medical diet though and it’s a battle to get him to eat. I just want my baby to be okay…so it’s been hard.
- I have AGED 9 YEARS. 😭
- Also you probably heard of the Australian Fires that have been absolutely destroying my country. Things are a bit better now, with rain helping. But it’s just a sickening tragedy. (I was not personally near; although there were days the smoke was so thick outside, you just felt ill breathing.) I mean, they could smell the smoke FROM NEW ZEALAND. It is so so bad.
- My author life is also stressing me out, but like 😌 at least that’s consistent.
- At least I read a lot of books? My TBR is deliciously tall and full right now and I’m excited.
- My sister got me the Game of Thrones Monopoly for Christmas and I discovered I’m a Hufflepuff who doesn’t like charging people and taking all their money. I just want us to be happy as we go round the board. 🥺
- (Shh, no I am a Slytherin, it’s true I’m sure.)
- I watched one episode of The Witcher and I quite liked it! Will watch more! Probably will even watch the whole show in my excruciatingly slowly way and finish in 2022!
- I also become a permanent rep for FairyLoot! SO FREAKING EXCITED. If you want to try one of their book boxes, you can use “FURY5” for a discount!
- And I finally bought a new iPod!! This one doesn’t shut down on me when I try to use apps so that’s super nice.
- It’s also been. so. hot in Australia and it’s zapped my motivation and even my will to cook. Which is so sad. I just want to sleeeeep in an icicle.
- I also did a long post about the future of Paper Fury as a blog, because I’m struggling here. And then, of course, once I got all hyped and encouraged by your amazing comments (!!!) my…dog got sick and I didn’t blog. 😑 😂 I’m back to slumping, hi!! But THANK YOU to everyone who said such nice things. It truly warmed my heart. I still don’t fully know what I’ll do. Probably just try to do two posts a week. More things have cropped up to sour my old love of blogging (not your fault….I am just sad at ways I’ve been treated since my books came out), so I have to face that if I’m blogging, it will end up looking different. I am awkwardly soft and unsure about fitting my author-self into a book-blogger-self because of the clashes, but I’d like to just quietly keep doing my thing. Thank you for still reading. 💛 Appreciate it, always.
I actually have nothing to report but continued existential writing dread. It is fun. For sure. 🙂🙃 I vaguely am plotting a new contemporary that may sneak into the thriller area and I’ve been so obsessed with reading epic fantasy lately that I just want to wriiiiiite it. I am also stressed, which is not new, but someday I hopefully will have good things to report here!
- Also I can’t remember if I’ve said it on the blog, but The Boy Who Steals Houses was nominated for a Carnegie Medal!! No idea if it’ll get shortlisted, but a nomination? HUGE. SO GRATEFUL.
- Reminder that it will be available to buy in the USA, in June 2020.
- Also ICYMI there’s a free TBWSH Christmas short story on my blog!
I have no idea what I’ve acquired since last October when I did a haul. So I’ll just vaguely mention books here and hope for the best. I have been super blessed by publishers and book boxes lately, which is incredible. And also had a bunch of preorders arrive to light up my life. 😍 Do I read enough to keep up with this? No. Please help.
(all covers link to goodreads)
Vote and help meeeee!
Here are my reading highlights of January!
Only Mostly Devastated / Oh I totally adored this! SO CUTE, but also really heartfelt and sad at times. It’s about being closeted how hard that is, plus how you can be toxic when you’re in pain and how to confront that. But also sososo cute. 🥺Easily a perfect 5-star read.
A Heart So Fierce And Broken / this was intense and confronting and not what I expected. the narrative massively flipped and the book feels like a betrayal BUT I think it’s tackling the nuance of PTSD and villain origin/toxic masculinity stories well.
One Of Us Is Next / the sequel to One Of Us Is Lying! Which…I didn’t love. BUT I LOVED THE SEQUEL!! So so obsessed. The characters were amazing so I 100% cared about everything. The twists at the end were so terrible in the best way!
Taking Down Evelyn Tait / I had the absolute privilege of reading this early AND ENDORSING IT!! That’s an author first for me and I’m so honoured! It’s a beautiful #LoveOZYA contemporary with the best emphasis on messy/broken families + humour and the cutest romance.
Technically You Started It / This was really fun and cute! It’s told entirely in text messages and it has demisexual and bi rep (really enjoyed reading that). It was a bit hard to get to know the characters, since it was just texts, but it was also fun and fast to read!
The Foxhole Court trilogy / I reread all three books this month because am living mY BEST LIFE HERE. I just basically count down till when I can reread again. Am I trash for my foxes? Yes. 😌They are so damaged and I love the found-family, the broken friendships, the defiance and fight for hope. Also disaster gays. 🙌🏻
The Ten Thousand Doors of January / I saved this specifically to read in January because I’m just like that. It’s like adult literary fantasy and it was so beautiful. I finished it and just wanted to write like that!! The emphasis is on plot instead of characters, so I kind of didn’t like anyone. But the worlds within worlds and the Door magic were amazing. It’s such a love letter to stories.
Clockwork Angel / another reread! I wanted to reread TID in preparation for Chain of Gold…but while I do love the Shadowhunters as a whole, I’m just so annoyed and over Will’s toxic behaviour that everyone somehow thinks is hot. And I GET characters with tragic backstories leading to toxic traits (see: The Foxhole Court), but Will’s is because of a dumb miscommunication? argh. I’m just annoyed and I didn’t enjoy the reread as much as I wanted to. I LOVE JEM.
Other Books I read
| WHAT DO YOU THINK |
has the year started off well for you? stressful? positive? 👀tell me what your first 2020 read was and did you like it! also what’s new to your TBR pile?