Does it feel like forever since I did a recap??
THAT’S BECAUSE IT WAS, MY FIENDS. It was a long long time. I believe, last time I did a recap post, there was still a dinosaur upon the earth and the sun had not yet learned to shine so my dragon scales only gleamed faintly in the moonlight. But these things happen. Because why? Here, let me explain:
No there is to much. Let me sum up. *
- I moved house.
- I read 30 books in May instead of, you know, being a human.
- I wore a mask and cape and ruled Gotham for a while.
- I wrote a 125,000-novel in 4 days.
- I edited a novel in 4 weeks.
- I reread so. many. books. Go meeeeee.
- I ate a book.
- I became a book.
I’ll go into my Life Shaped details at the end of the post, but first let’s look at pretty photos of books and then ask me if I’m drowning underneath them all. And FAIR WARNING: I have no idea what I’ve talked about in the last 2 months so this post is just like me hitting at my keyboard and trying desperately to blog sanely but failing with majestic grace.
In other words: NORMAL.
* IF YOU DIDN’T GET THIS REFERENCE, I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH YOU, WESTLEY.
Also I AM ALL THE EXTREME EXCITE!! But John Green’s new book Turtles All the Way Down is coming out in October and I just !!!!!
- VICIOUS: I FINALLY OWN IT. I was hanging out ot buy the hardcover but like…it’s so expensive??? I can’t trade all my organs all at once for cash. (Also FYI this was the first Schwab book I ever read back in 2015!) ★★★★★
- OUR DARK DUET (#2): SCHWAB CAN DO NO WRONG. FINALE WAS BRUTAL AND PERFECT.★★★★★
- STRANGE THE DREAMER: Whimsical and magical and bloody adn full of cake and book appreciation. Like, thanks Laini Taylor, for writing a book that goes through my checklist.★★★★★
- HERE LIES DANIEL TATE: Gahhhh that was so good. And entirely mind twistery.★★★★★
- ALWAYS AND FOREVER LARA JEAN (#3): I still need to read book #2. But look! I’m prepared!
- FLAME IN THE MIST: I’ve actually heard SO many people say this is deathly boring..ha…ha…help. (Also I didn’t buy this, actually, I put it in the wrong section. #mybad It was from the LitJoyCrate book subscription box that I was given to promote on instagram!)
- BLACKSOULS (#2): Hopefully pirates, swash bucklery, and doom. I really liked the first book!
ALSO LOOK AT ALL THOSE 5-STARS. I AM SUPER GOOD AT BUYING BOOKS I KNOW I’LL LIKE???
(Thanks to Allen & Unwin, Bloomsbury, Simon & Schuster, Flatiron Books, Macmillan Australia, and Tor Teen!)
- IF BIRDS FLY BACK: I’m on the blog tour for this coming soon in July so SQUEE. Exciting!
- MY NAME IS VICTORIA: I assume this is about a human named Victoria. Just a guess. 3% chance.
- THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE: I read and LOVED this one last year so keen to reread and then devour teh sequel! ★★★★☆
- THE SHIP BEYOND TIME (#2): SQUEL TO BE DEVOURED. DELICIOUS.
- COUNTLESS: I actually read the blurb for this one (like woah wild side there, Cait) and it’s about eating disorders and teen pregnancy…hmm. Hopefully it’s good!
- THE POSSIBLE: A thriller that was about as thrilling as me tipping cornflakes on myself. ★★☆☆☆
- STARGAZING FOR BEGINNERS: I’m not a huge fan of this author (so light! so fluff!) but we’ll see!
- HOW TO BEE: A middle-grade dystopian story that felt like an Annie rerun. But with honey. Of which I am allergic. Gesundheit.
- MY LOVELY FRANKIE: A 1950s story about boys going to be priests! It kind of spoils eVERYTHING of the plot in the first chapter though and is a bit biphobic. ★★☆☆☆
- SONG OF THE CURRENT: Eeeeep, I liked this one a LOT. Pirates and smugglers and badass epic biracial female heroines! ★★★★☆
- BREAK ME LIKE A PROMISE (#2): So I actually totally loved the first book even though it was wildly dramatic. But ORGAN BLACK MARKET, OK. It was cool. I’m keen for this sequel!
- THE NEVER KING: Adult fantasy because YAS. I need some crowns and stab.
- LORD OF SHADOWS: I MEAN. DO WE EVEN NEED TO TALK HERE. THIS BOOK IS MARVELLOUS AND HEARTBREAKING AND I AM DEAD AND ALSO IN LOVE. ★★★★★
- GIRLS MADE OF SNOW AND GLASS: Feminist Snow White retelling that had some really interesting and surprising twists, and an f/f romance, and some lovely magical elements that destroyed people’s happiness. Nice. ★★★★☆
- THE UNDERCURRENT: I mean, I am excited because #LoveOzYA…but also teens with magical lightning powers are a little tired for me.
- VICARIOUS: This will be my first Paula West read! AND it was sent over from America because Tor loves me. aFJDSKALDJ.
- THE PEARL THIEF: You know that moment when you buy a book and then the publisher sends it to you too? HAHHA HAHHA…[insert crying] But anyway! I’m excited to read it…twice.
I’ll sadly basically be abolishing this section because I NO LONGER HAVE A LIBRARY. And if you want to know how dire this is, so far 47% of my books read during 2017 have come from the library.
I mean, there is a library in my new town but it is so small it could fit in a peanut. And I’ve basically read all the YA books it has anyway so I haven’t bothered to get a card.
I HAVEN’T BEEN TO A LIBRARY IN 36 DAYS. I CAN FEEL THE SKY CLOSING IN.
(all covers link to goodreads)
Two pieces of good news: (1) I HIT 30,000 FOLLOWERS! and (2) I’m an @Owlcrate rep!
Bad news is, instagram is kind of kicking me in the face. My likes are super low. How do I have 30K followers and sometimes barely get 1K likes? Who are you all. Small potato pancakes and robots? I protest. So it’s a little depressing. Let me know if you have an #boosktagram tips! I NEED HELP.
Don’t forget to scroll/hover over the covers! They flip around and will show you a mini review and star-rating!
Also click on them to take you to my review. HOW FUN IS THIS. Spoiler: Very fun.
T O P P O S T S:
I N T R I G U I N G S E A R C H E S:
(These are things people have searched to find my blog and I’m helpfully answering them.)
- “best books on procrastination” — I mean, there are some which I’ll recommend like…some other time.
- “how to recommend a book to someone” — My go-to answer is generally “HIT THEM IN THE FACE WITH IT AN PTERODACTYL SCREECH” but apparently this isn’t socially acceptable. Because you could hurt the book.
- “names that cant pronoince” — Look, mate, I have a feeling you can’t pronounce more than just names. I personally struggle with my own name. During my childhood, I thought Cait was pronounced “WHY ARE YOU READING TINTIN COMICS AGAIN” by my family because I’d read them instead of humaning.
- “consequences of reading too much” — You turn into a globe of glittering sunlight and your vast knowledge expands across the oceans and you learn how to multitask book pages + delicious cupcakes. Do not recommend reading ever, obviously.
- “books for teens that aren’t romance and not too much violence” — WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO HAPPEN???? HEALTHY FRIENDSHIPS AND CARROT PUNS? I carrot even with you.
- “will you go mad if you read books?” — what
- “meaning of low key fangirl” — It means you drop your car keys a lot while fangirling and have to keep picking them up. HAHA JUST KIDDING. It means you sing alto when you fangirl.
- “what is a lesson about life that someone could learn from your book” — From my book? Get therapy. For the love of all that is holy: go get some therapy.
- “sibling are sometimes really annoying” — Heck yes they are. But I suggest selling them on Etsy and using the money to fund your book buying obsession or your need for rainbow socks.
- “protective over books” — SAME. Particularly when someone tries to use mine as a raft to get down the Nile. It’s so rude.
- “man vs would” — Also woman vs will.
- “what are some good books for teen girls without romance or language” — Possibly a blank notebook??? Please don’t let her know about the alphabet though, FOR GOODNESS SAKES, IT IS THE ROOT OF ALL LANGUAGE.
- “slow romance fir teenagers” — Try introducing them to a forest and they will find the perfect fir tree.
- “dangers for those who do not read” — I might eat you.
- “can a adult read teen novel” — NO ABSOLUTELY NOT HOW DARE THEY. If an adult reads a YA novel they will lose years off their life and turn into tadpoles. Because how on earth could they relate to YA??? Seriously??? Adults were never teenagers.
- “requirements to met for blogging” — Well mostly just:
- “paperfuty” — No I just…no.
- “the hazards of being very handsome” — You’re the first to be sacrificed to the fire queen feast during the apocalypse. Also I am the fire queen. I eat you.
- “when i dont read my books , whats going to happen” — THEY JUST PILE UP, SUSAN. THEY JUST KEEP COMING. I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO EITHER. IT’S BEEN 47 YEARS SINCE I LAST SAW MY FLOOR. THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN. THE ARCTIC HAS MOVED INTO MY CEILING. I SEE COLOURS UPON THE WIND AND THEN DEATH.
I have been pretty slack on the Society6 design front…but I will update the store soon!
If you have requests, let me have ’em. I got a little discouraged after my designs got stolen earlier this year. BUT MOSTLY EVERYONE IS SO LOVELY AND SUPPORTIVE OF MY STORE SO AHHHH. Also FYI I did a design for the YA Chronicles Book Box! Go check it out here! (It’s the Lila Bard print.) It’s an exclusive design but isn’t it niiiiiiice. I’m super proud of it and honoured to have been working for @TheYAChronicles!
I also have these lovelies!
A collection of bookish news I find in my
obsessive stalking lowkey travels across the internet:
- JOHN GREEN HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT IN OCTOBER CALLED TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN AND I DON’T EVEN CARE HOW HYPED IT’LL BE. I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!!!
- VE Schwab announced her next book release! Which is a middle-grade about dead people. #Nice
- Cassandra Clare does a super cool interview about SO many Shadowhunter things. SPOILER WARNING IF YOU HAVEN’T READ LORD OF SHADOWS.
- An upcoming YA series by Zoraida Cordova has been optioned for film already!
- Evelyn Skye has a new fantasy series coming out and I’m monstrously pleased because I love her work.
- Patrick Ness did a fantastic youtube interview that I really enjoyed watching. Also #am #a #wild #fan.
- Justine Larbalestier did a really interesting twitter thread on some of the darker sides of being a published author. SUPER interesting if you’re pursuing traditional.
- The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton has a cover and an excerpt to read!
- Update on the Chaos Walking movie where they have people in their 30s to play 14 year old kids. Righto.
- Update on the Dumplin movie! They’ve got the lead actor cast!
- Every Day by David Leviathan is becoming a movie.
- Lilly Singh is going to be in the Fahrenheit 451 movie SO I’M EXCITED. She’s the only youtube I really follow!
- This isn’t book related, but HEY I’m a wild Supernatural fan = and apparently there’s going to be a spin-off starring female Hunters! Lowkey not sure if it’ll work because while Jodi is awesome, they haven’t set up the other girls very strongly. And aren’t we all just still watching purely for Sam and Dean??? I mean?? Really???
- Oooh I got AWARDED on Write Through The Night. <3 THANK YOU!
- Abbiee shares how to deal with plot bunnies!
- Lyse of Llyr analysed my bookstagram and excuse me but that was hilarious.
- Victoria @ A Gathering Of Dreams did an EXCELLENT post on how to actually write a fabulous heroine.
- I was interviewed over at Mali Reads!
- Okay so — WOW — I randomly wrote a book last week. You might have seen me whining about it on twitter. But otherwise it was super sneaky, right?!? I thought up the book, wrote a 20,000-word outline, and then wrote the actual novel all in 2 weeks. 4 days = 125,000 words. And that is way too big for a contemporary so like please someone murder me with a bucket and also editing is going to be a literal nightmare since I’ll need to get it down to at least 70K. It’s called The Boy Who Built The Moon and you can see my pinterest board!
- It’s beautiful. It’s a really really really beautiful book to me. And it was quite personal and special. <3 And in the most ludicrously bizarre turn of events, I literally spent the whole day after I finished writing just….just re-reading it. So wow, THIS BOOK IS JUST REALLY SOMETHING ELSE TO ME AND I LOVE IT.
- I feel like we writers usually hate 1st drafts or are crying over manuscripts or stuck in writers block, and it’s true. Those things happen. A LOT. But writing is also magic. And sometimes I can’t get over how much I love it (!!!) and how much it makes my cold dead Vulcan heart beat.
- This is also technically a sequel to The Boy Who Steals Houses which I wrote for NaNo 2016 and was a standalone.
- HHAA HAHA HAHAHHA AHHHHHAAHA.
- Current status: plotting book #3.
- Pls remove me from my laptop.
- Also it was a bit tiring writing 125K in 4 days and I did come up with some quality sentences like this:
- Wow Cait. WORD WIZARD.
- (I promise 47% of rest is actually intelligent.)
- Anyway I still do plan to do Camp NaNo in July! My smol sister is visiting in the beginning of July but after she leaves, boom. It will be me + my laptop + Glass Monsters + adult epic fantasy + a whole lotta blood and con artists and really really fabulous hair.
- And earlier this month I finished a VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT edit and sent it (a) to my agent, and (b) to my sister and two friends. My sister read it in 4 hours and then screamed at me. #AmPleased And my purely incredible friend Maraia read and talked with me about it for HOURS and I can’t even with how marvellous and ridiculously exciting that was. LIKE WHEN SOMEONE LOVES AND UNDERSTANDS YOUR WORK???? I CAN’T EVEN. THE FEELING EXPLODES ME. I shall keep you forever, Maraia, watch out.
- Emily, my critique partner, is still reading and am nervously awaiting the verdict. So far she’s suspicious that I even wrote it because no dragons.
- There is cake though.
- ANYWAY OTHER NON-WRITING NEWS???
- no don’t be ridiculous I have no life
- Still trying to settle into the new house and #failing. I badly miss all my relatives.
- The post office lost and important book package of mine and I am #rage.
- I reached 9,000-followers on Twitter! You should follow me. I’M FUNNY. And also super humble.
- My parent put kale on a pizza and now I have childhood trauma and trust issues to work through.
- Several people have just sent me lovely messages recently saying how much they like my blog, and may I just admit to you that this is super encouraging and incredible?! It honestly makes a HUGE difference to me. SO THANK YOU, KIND BEANS OF THE DARKNESS. <3 <3
- I read Our Dark Duet by VE Schwab and just afjdksald it was glorious and pain. She NEVER FAILS.
- I’ve started running 5.3kms every day! Which is awesome fun actually. I will survive the apocalypse.
- Apparently I’m ridiculously Slytherin. This surprises exactly no one.
- Least to say if you trip and fall in front of a bus I will not be leaping out to save you.
- Sorry, Gryffindors.
- (I actually lowkey think my second might be Hufflepuff because I’m extremely hardworking and super loyal to a select few human beans. Buuuut I love books and creativity, so hey Ravenclaw, but I actually don’t like studying??? Hate it in fact. I’m having a secondary-house crisis.)
- I’m super super super behind with blogging. So bear with me, okay? In fact, send me a pet bear and I shall keep it and raise it and call it Nigel and it will be my friend. I think I’m 2 weeks behind answering comments and I LOVE YOU ALL so I feel really bad. But I edited a book and wrote a book in one month, okay? This dragon needs a nap.