As a bookworm, it’s basically part of my job description to freak out.
And this is GREAT because I’m super good at freaking out and panicking over life in general. Like, forget Panic! At The Disco and let’s go for Panic! At The Everywhere. It’s a skill, I tell you. And book blogging has honed my freakout abilities even more. Bless it.
Now you might be sitting there, a stolid Vulcan or possible Ice Queen of the frozen isles or just a general unemotional turnip thinking, “I don’t even freak out, Cait, what are you on about right now.” But you probably DO. There are just may different wants to express freaking out. Here, let me explain.
- Actual shrieking and general noises like dead seals dying upon the waves.
- Your eyes going slightly wider as you stare in utter horror / love at some book related thing, like your preorder being shipped or someone dog-earing your book and therefore you must plot their death.
- Just smiling. SMILING A LOT LIKE A CHESHIRE CAT. It can be silent smiling!
- Actually physically jumping up and down, which seems like a lot of work quite frankly, but I hear it’s popular amongst people with limbs.
- WRITING IN ALL CAPS UPON THE INTERNET WITH VIGOROUS PASSION.
- Screaming internally.
- Talking very fast and very much.
- Just being super excited on the inside, so it’s like a freak out explosion behind your face, but you’re keeping it together on the outside because you don’t express emotion super well.
- SHAKING YOUR SISTER BY THE SHOULDER AND SHOUTING.
- Losing ALL YOUR WORDS and just making a high keening noise forever because of the level of Non-Chill.
- Forgetting to breathe and dying.
Now I don’t recommend trying all of these so much??? Especially the last one. Unless you are a Winchester and then, WELL HAVE AT IT, FRIENDS! I know you’ll come back! I personally am more of the “freaking out on the inside” sort of person and then using all caps online. Occasionally, in the presence of my family, I may suck in sharp breath, but I am relatively a chill looking person on the outside. And by “chill” I mean I have a resting murder face.
I like to internalise my freaking out and will probably lose all my hair from it eventually.
Which leads me to the actual important discussion of the moment:
Which I have been kindly tagged to do by Meri @ Life Stained Pages! (THANK YOU!) And while I did recently shout at you over my favourite books of 2017 so far…it’s time to have a small holler at the highs and lows, too. Also feel free to snabble these questions for your own blogs too!
THE BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR SO FAR
THIS IS A HARD QUESTION. 9 SEAS PERISH EVERY TIME A BOOKWORM GETS ASKED THIS QUESTION. I will, however, calm my rabidly flailing soul and just nominate A Conjuring Of Light and The Gentleman’s Guide To Vice and Virtue as my top two. Because I’m so obsessed with both these books’ characters.
But I have other favourites. This is like choosing between my children.
If they all rise up against me and murder me in the night — YOU KNOW WHY.
BEST SEQUEL OF THE YEAR SO FAR
I think my brain might be a bit broken here, but apparently for some reason it thinks “best” equals “WHICH BOOK DESTROYED YOU THE MOST, CAIT, GIVE IT ALL THE AWARDS.” Which seems ridiculous to be honest. But here we are.
Which books huuuuuurt?!??
THAT WOULD BE THESE WRETCHES. Lord of Shadows and Our Dark Duet were both as good, if not a smidge better, than their older siblings. They’re also downright as attractive as their predecessors. And both coordinated in being blue to represent the state of your emotions afterwards. #nice
NEW RELEASE YOU HAVEN’T READ YET BUT WANT TO
This year I just leaped onto the abyss of darkness that is “I HAVE TOO MANY BOOKS AND WILL NEVER CATCH UP”. I blame this on several things like:
- (a) a pretty huge house move
- (b) publishers coming up with 93898 books in the time I can read 2
- (c) the fact that I’ve been writing more > reading less
- (d)I will literally blame anyone and everyone I can…you, myself, the local leviathan, the fact we only have one moon, the fact I haven’t seen Wonder Woman, and even my new bookshelf which is 1.2 centimetres shorter than my old one and that’s just rude.
But I would like to read these ASAP.
TOMORROW OR THE DAY AFTER OR IN NEVERLAND.
MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASE FOR AUTUMN / WINTER
Look I have a contemporary on this list!! Please take a moment to be proud of my fantasy soul and I. We’re working hard.
(It won’t happen again.)
* IF AUSTRALIA WOULD CHILL AND REMEMBER IT. It’s going to be 26 celsius this week!! That’s 78 fahrenheit. THAT IS NOT WINTER.
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE YEAR SO FAR
- WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS: okay so it’s still 3 stars and still beautiful! But I was just really disappointed I wasn’t obsessed with it like I was over the author’s debut. ALL THE SADNESS IS MINE. There was literally…no…plot…
- EVER THE HUNTED: So cliche I fell over and died. The the female protagonist spent 78% of the book commenting on how good the boy smelled. THEY WERE TREKKING THROUGH THE JUNGLE??? No one smells good after trekking, woman. You need help.
- THE DRAGON’S PRICE: Dragons but yet…super super racist and stupidly boring.
- TRAVELER: Okay so the premise was a writer girl’s character turns to life…which is cool, right?!? WELL IT WASN’T. Her character didn’t turn to life, she ended up a Special Snowflake with as much personality as my left sock, and it had an inaccurate and mildly offensive portrayal of Autism. (Where the girl literally wished her brother wasn’t ASD so she’d have the ease of communicating with him her way instead of his way. And I…can’t…even.)
BIGGEST SURPRISE OF THE YEAR SO FAR
I did NOT expect to love A List of Cages as much as I did?!??! It’s beautiful and heartbreaking and such good disability rep AND I HAD AN EMOTION OVER IT.
What is this.
Plus Queens of Geek just…WOAH OKAY. It’s actually about Australians (!!!) and again with the excellent disability rep! Plus super cute and feel good?! Plus one girl lugged a boxset of her favourite books around a ComiCon for hours and #relatable.
NEW FAVOURITE AUTHOR
I’m going to shout at Cristin Terrill. If you haven’t read Here Lies Daniel Tate yet — WHAT ARE YOU DOING. It’s so mind twisty and excellently written. Con artist teenagers and missing boys and messed up families and so many sandwiches.
Still not sure what’s going on with his face though. I suppose we all have our off days.
YOUR NEWEST FAVOURITE CHARACTER
LAZLO STRANGE FROM STRANGE THE DREAMER. IT JUST ABSOLUTELY IS. He broke his nose because he walked into a wall because he was reading fairy tales. He loves the library and books more than people. #Relatable He’s in love with magic and monsters. #EvenMoreRelatable When he gets his pay day he decides to go all out and be extravagant and buy himself nice warm socks. #WELLIFTHISISNTME
He read while he walked. He read while he ate. The other librarians suspected he somehow read while he slept, or perhaps didn’t sleep at all.
BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY
I think I shed my only tear back in 1642, to be honest. But while I was super emotionally distraught and freaking out over A Conjuring of Light and Lord of Shadows, I didn’t actually cry. Or even tear up.
The only book that’s made me cry this year is MINE that I wrote. And that was probably because it was so bad. JUST KIDDING! I killed a character and hurt my own emotions. 1/10, will not repeat. Next time don’t get so attached, Cait.
A BOOK THAT MADE YOU HAPPY
LOOK SOME OF THESE ARE EVEN CUTE FLUFF!! Others are…I don’t know why. Certain Dark Things made me happy because it’s super bloody and dark, but has really interesting twists on vampires. Who would’ve thought vampires could be cool!?? DON’T JUDGE ME. IT MADE ME HAPPY.
MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOK SO FAR
I’m going to be super shallow and assume this means the books looks. Because I mean..what really matters here except for (A) how gorgeous a cover is, and (B) how much I can hug it, and (C) if I can abscond with it to Guadeloupe for marriage.
The Reckless series cover rebrand though. WELL, I SAY, GOOD SIR. I SAY.
And I maintain a rainbow threw up on The Crown’s Fate, which is excellent because I actually bought myself a copy because I appreciate the rainbow catastrophe aesthetic so much.