Despite being fond of freaking out at any time of the year — it is time to do a very specific mid-year-freak-out!
About books! Of course! But existential crises welcome too. I am all including.
Honestly this year has been strange because IT’S JUNE ALREADY and my entire opinion is: How. But at the same time, since my book came out on the 7th, I’ve been counting down till this month and it took foreeeeever to get here. See, STRANGE? I’m practically Doctor Strange at this point, but without the doctor part and I spend far less time on my hair.
But least to say: yes 2018 has been the FREAK OUT year. Also because of:
- I mean, I HAD A BOOK COME OUT so that was…you know…no big deal.
- I’ve also been working really really hard this year. Edits and book-shaped-things I can’t talk about (SORRY) but it’s been intense and it’s only June.
- My social medias have kind of exploded (there’s 66,000 on twitter and instagram alone?!????) and keeping up with them is a bit like standing in a thunderstorm with one gumboot and half an umbrella. But also KIND OF AMAZING. I seriously don’t know what I’m doing or why everyone stays to be honest.
- I have read WAY WAY LESS THAN USUAL. Which is freaking me out.
- My mental health has not been great but yet I have managed to make the perfect ice cream sandwich which pretty much makes me the most successful person in the world. Book published?? Pfft. I can make ice cream sandwiches. Priorities.
But anyway! I’m doing the Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag which I also did last year. Look! I’m cute AND predictable!
And feel free to take these questions for your own blog! I’m pretty sure it was created originally by Chami and Ely (correct me if I’m wrong!) but I also think I may have warped the questions over time. Oops.
HOW MUCH I’VE READ
WHAT I’VE BEEN READING
Honestly?! I’ve had an amazing reading year so far…although I’ll admit, most of those 5-stars are rereads. BUT STILL!!!
BEST SEQUEL OF THE YEAR SO FAR
You know what? Usually I avoid sequels like I avoid people who believe in slaying dragons. I have good reasons for this and they include (1) usually I can’t remember the first book help, (2) what if it ruins the first books??? and lastly (3) just let the dragons live, ok, so what if they want to nibble a human??? Humans deserve to be eaten, have you seen what we’ve done lately.
But I have read MANY good sequels already and I’m super proud! Some of my favourites have been:
Legendary was ever better than Caraval and got the whole 5-stars! And The Raven King and The King’s Men were so fantastic I lost my mIND. I also finally finished off the Lara Jean books and they were soooo cute!
NEW RELEASE YOU HAVEN’T READ YET BUT WANT TO
Remember how I said I’ve been reading less!?? I mean, I know 100 books still is a lot and I’m full on whining here…but for me it has BEEN LESS. But yet I have not been collecting less books. AKA, do you see that little arm sticking out of that pile of books? Waving feebly?
Send help. And, I don’t know??? A shovel maybe??
I’m so hopelessly behind at this point that I just cry and consider rereading The Raven Cycle again. But between tears, these are the books I’m desperate to read BUT STILL HAVEN’T YET. Despite being wildly excited for them. I BLAME THE APOCALYPSE. *
* It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m working on it.
MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASE FOR AUTUMN / WINTER
Why is it that the books I most want to read are never never the ones that are out??? I swear. My wishbone is always super inconsiderate and never wants what’s right in front of it.
So if someone could just mAGIC me these books right now? That’d be great.
Apparently there is a dress code for later 2018 books??? If you’re not in red and black, THEN YOU CAN’T SIT WITH US.
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE YEAR SO FAR
I have been personally WOUNDED by the existence of Iron Gold. Not going to lie. I’m trying to be less negative about books online considering (a) I have a book now???? wow the children grow up so fast, and (b) I’m just SO constantly aware of how subjective books are. Less salt! More glitter!
Except for right now.
Look it ruined the original trilogy for me. Darrow is unrecognisably selfish and has a god-complex. It destroyed the best friendship in Red Rising. And I do hate how it treats women/queers in general. I’m done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
BIGGEST SURPRISE OF THE YEAR SO FAR
Books that absolutely just run at you and slap you in the face with PURE BRILLIANCE when you’re least expecting?? My favourite kind.
I had zero expectations for Pacifica and then it turned into this pirate and poisoned-seas story with the best friendships (the dynamics reminded me of the Raven Cycle nearly?!) and stabby girls and cinnamon boys. I JUST. My heart.
And Boomerang was amazing because it reminded me of a book I’d written. So this author is perhaps my brain twin??! (Um…that’s terrifying. I hope she never sees this.) It has tragic boys and runaways and bad situations and messy relationships. I don’t even know why I randomly requested it from Netgalley!? BUT I HAVE BEEN GIFTED A NEW FAVOURITE.
NEW FAVOURITE AUTHOR
- Helene Dunbar (author of aforementioned Boomerang! And These Gentle Wounds which I bought like straight after.)
- Nora Sakavic (of my damaged Fox court sons)
- Margaret Rogerson (author of An Enchantment of
- Mark Oshiro (after Anger Is A Gift, I’ll read anything of his! ANYTHING)
YOUR NEWEST FAVOURITE CHARACTER
The trouble is I just want to keep repeating the same books (!!) but look at me. I’m trying. I’ll branch out a bit.
- Dante from Legendary (he’s like a Slytherin in a suit and plays mind games and I love it)
- Levi and Enne from Ace of Shades (THE ACTUAL BESTS)
- Indi from Salt (sea monster hunter + mother to his little siblings)
- Lira from To Kill A Kingdom (she’d actually stab you AND eat you AND wouldn’t be sorry)
- Jude from The Cruel Prince (the level of deviousness and stab stabbing though)
- Neil from The Foxhole Court (because I can’t help myself; you could literally stab this kid and he’d apologise for getting blood on the floor)
BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY
Can I say MY BOOK here?? Probably absolutely not because the level of No™ to list your own book is very high. However. This is all your fault. Because you spent years saying, “PUBLISH A BOOK CAIT!” And now I have been published and I can’t shut up. Also I’m Loki and unapologetically going to keep mentioning it.
But look A Thousand Perfect Notes makes ME cry because people actually like it (!!) I’m surprised (!!) except for that one person’s dog who ate it. But that I assume that means even the dog likes it too.
It also makes me cry because I did it. omg. I got here.
TEARFUL THINGS PEOPLE HAVE
SHOUTED SAID ABOUT IT
- “How dARE YOU”
- “im sobbing”
- “Beck is my new son and I will take him off you” (this seems far)
- “I never cry over books but this made me weep”
- “hOw DaRE yOu
You’re all dramatic though. It’s not THAT FEELS STABBING…is it??????
A BOOK THAT MADE YOU HAPPY
Finishing off the Lara Jean trilogy was just THE BEST. How can books be so freaking adorable?! My ship sailed. The sisters were amazing. Lara Jean finally figured out the recipe for the best chocolate chip cookies (arguably the most important moment). WHAT FLUFF UGH. I LOVE IT.
An Enchantment Of Ravens is one I’m going to glare at everyone for telling me it wasn’t good. It was AMAZING. It was so funny, and the fae world was so lusciously magical, relationships were respectful, and Isaboe and Rook are the most adorable dorks ever. I also laughed so so much.
MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOK SO FAR
A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES!!!
Oh there have been some stunning covers for sure this year…is it just me or are YA book designers working overtime?! My eyes are HEARTS. Which sounds absolutely weird writing it out like that…but you know what I mean.
Anyway…THE WICKER KING THOUGH. Inside and out! I know it came out in 2017 but shhhh it still counts. I’ve read it twice already…it’s just the most poignant, heartbreaking and yet thoughtful, and amazing depiction of mental health and loneliness. I cRY.